Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

Help on camera.. Wanting to buy one

Like Tree6Likes
Share This Page
HardwareZone.com on Facebook

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-09-2012, 11:18 PM   #1

Help on camera.. Wanting to buy one

I wanna buy a camera.. Something like the design of PowerShot SX40 canon/ EOS 1100D Kit (EF S18-55 IS II).etc..or Nikkon..or other brands.

Not those normal camera . Like those camera lens can extend out one. hehe

Hm.. below $1k.

Any intro? I dont know what spects to look out for..like DSLR or interchange lens..or something..Im really confuse. I'm just wanting to look nice like a act professional. But i just need a simple one. =D

With or with video.

Thanks.
funniegal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 12:48 AM   #2

maybe panasonic lx 5 or lx7?? personally if you wan interchangeable lens u can try olympus e pl3... i'm using it right now... besk denki got promo
williamtyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 03:01 PM   #3

but what is the meaning of interchangable lens?
Old 05-09-2012, 04:19 PM   #4

but what is the meaning of interchangable lens?
Means you can take the lens off and put on a new one.

I take it you want a camera that has a DSLR-like body. For that I recommend the Panasonic FZ200 - not yet out in Singapore but when it comes out (this month most likely) will be very good in almost any situation. It is better than the Canon Powershot SX40 because it can shoot faster at the long end of the zoom.

Now if you want interchangeable lens version, you can either get a DSLR or MILC (mirrorless interchangeable lens camera). DSLR is like your EOS 1100D you mentioned. But "looks pro" but actually much smaller and lighter will be MILC because it doesn't use mirror inside so is smaller. But picture quality not as good (ofc, it is still WAY better than point-and-shoot).

Example of MILC with DSLR-like body is Panasonic G3 or G5 (not yet out), Olympus OMD EM5, Samsung NX20. If you don't need the viewfinder, you can also consider Panasonic GH3, Olympus E-P3, Samsung NX200, Sony NEX-5 or NEX-3.

You must know what you want, or what you see yourself snapping a lot to get a better idea what to recommend. DSLR and MILC are both much more expensive than powerzooms (and even worse if you want to buy better lenses). Choosing camera based on design is a really *bad* idea

Last edited by celsus; 05-09-2012 at 04:22 PM..
celsus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 12:16 AM   #5

perharp you want to consider olympus ep3? though it is not as well known as canon or nikon but i find the camera may fit your requirement.
1) it give you the flexibility of changing lens
2) smaller and lightweight compared to typical dslr
lchunl001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 05:37 PM   #6

Well, if you haven't got it. I suggest u go for the Dmc Gf3w. I bought mine frm Song brothers last week. It's going onli for $699. I thought it was a good deal... U can change lens & it's compact in size
blurnata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 07:13 PM   #7

Means you can take the lens off and put on a new one.

I take it you want a camera that has a DSLR-like body. For that I recommend the Panasonic FZ200 - not yet out in Singapore but when it comes out (this month most likely) will be very good in almost any situation. It is better than the Canon Powershot SX40 because it can shoot faster at the long end of the zoom.

Now if you want interchangeable lens version, you can either get a DSLR or MILC (mirrorless interchangeable lens camera). DSLR is like your EOS 1100D you mentioned. But "looks pro" but actually much smaller and lighter will be MILC because it doesn't use mirror inside so is smaller. But picture quality not as good (ofc, it is still WAY better than point-and-shoot).

Example of MILC with DSLR-like body is Panasonic G3 or G5 (not yet out), Olympus OMD EM5, Samsung NX20. If you don't need the viewfinder, you can also consider Panasonic GH3, Olympus E-P3, Samsung NX200, Sony NEX-5 or NEX-3.

You must know what you want, or what you see yourself snapping a lot to get a better idea what to recommend. DSLR and MILC are both much more expensive than powerzooms (and even worse if you want to buy better lenses). Choosing camera based on design is a really *bad* idea

Thanks. i'M really do not know how to choose a camera and what i really. I would like to ..is have a 2 in 1. which i can capture video. Capture clear picture , zoom is good...capture fast object.

Is Lumix DMC-FZ100 Good?. Any ideal how much is it?
Saw the Lumix FZ200 looks great. Any ideal too how much?

Oh take out lens.. i dun think i wan to take out the lens.0.0?? like changing lens to capture another type of picture..if im not wrong.

Last edited by funniegal; 06-09-2012 at 07:19 PM..
Old 06-09-2012, 10:19 PM   #8

DMC-FZ100 is two generations old, you probably cannot find anymore stock but you can ask around in Funan. The previous model is actually FZ150... maybe you can bargain down their price for this since FZ200 is coming out. FZ200 overseas retail at US$599. Expect to pay x1.5 or more when first launch (S$900+) but will probably drop quickly. You should note these (especially the FZ150 whose lens is not as good) are mostly outdoor cameras.

If you want good clear indoors shots, you may want to go mirrorless - and the best low-light camera in this category is NEX-5N (NEX-5R has just been announced, but 5N is still very good and now reduced in price - I have 5N). Panasonic GH2 is also known for good video and cheaper.
celsus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 01:08 PM   #9
Master Member

Thanks. i'M really do not know how to choose a camera and what i really. I would like to ..is have a 2 in 1. which i can capture video. Capture clear picture , zoom is good...capture fast object.

Is Lumix DMC-FZ100 Good?. Any ideal how much is it?
Saw the Lumix FZ200 looks great. Any ideal too how much?

Oh take out lens.. i dun think i wan to take out the lens.0.0?? like changing lens to capture another type of picture..if im not wrong.
Forget about interchangeable lens for now.. in future maybe..

go for Sony RX100 or panasonic LX7

RX100's sensor > LX7's sensor > typical pns = better image quality..

they are small, light and very capable cameras..

have a look at Canon G1X too..
its sensor is bigger than RX100..

Last edited by intrance; 10-09-2012 at 01:12 PM..
intrance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 04:18 PM   #10

I bought a Nikon coolpix L120 for my daughter last year. It is a beginner camera, with zoom feature and act like a pro (what you have described). She loves it so much. Easy to use and picture quality not bad for normal used.

There is a updated version, L810, higher zoom. Quite good on price of you go funan to source. In the price of about $300 range.
funniegal likes this.
tintien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 06:58 PM   #11

I bought a Nikon coolpix L120 for my daughter last year. It is a beginner camera, with zoom feature and act like a pro (what you have described). She loves it so much. Easy to use and picture quality not bad for normal used.

There is a updated version, L810, higher zoom. Quite good on price of you go funan to source. In the price of about $300 range.
Hey thanks. I like the L810 in red colour. Look nice from web. Hm..ok. i shall see the physhical..
Old 16-09-2012, 12:19 PM   #12

Just to highlight that Nikon Coolpix L810 is a bridge camera, not DSLR or MILC.

However, if you're looking for big zoom, relatively affordable and OK with lugging a big camera along, bridge cameras are fine. If you have no intention of switching lens that is.

Depends on what photos you intend to capture. If you're into sports, action or wildlife photography from great distance, bridge camera suffice. But if you're the creative sort who wish to learn about and experiment with different photography techniques, and are particular about how your shots turn out, then DSLR offers more controls.
u0206397 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2012, 11:31 PM   #13

I just do a so call upgrade from my Canon 500D to Sony NEX 5N.

Its a very good MILC. Below 1k (dual kit lens) and picture quality is really good.

Can consider sony nex 5n. Its light and compact compare to a DSLR.
Old 19-09-2012, 06:57 PM   #14

Just to highlight that Nikon Coolpix L810 is a bridge camera, not DSLR or MILC.

However, if you're looking for big zoom, relatively affordable and OK with lugging a big camera along, bridge cameras are fine. If you have no intention of switching lens that is.

Depends on what photos you intend to capture. If you're into sports, action or wildlife photography from great distance, bridge camera suffice. But if you're the creative sort who wish to learn about and experiment with different photography techniques, and are particular about how your shots turn out, then DSLR offers more controls.

I like to take picture and experiment..but im kinda afraid if i buy a exp good camera..and did not use it often..$ spend be heart pain =( and I had not make up my mind whether to go as far step into photography ..
Old 19-09-2012, 06:58 PM   #15

I just do a so call upgrade from my Canon 500D to Sony NEX 5N.

Its a very good MILC. Below 1k (dual kit lens) and picture quality is really good.

Can consider sony nex 5n. Its light and compact compare to a DSLR.
=( now budget below $500. cos need to spend for korea holiday..=( heard nex 5n is good..=(
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.