Questions on getting my first camera!

kaidoka

Reaction score
Hi guys, I am interested in doing alittle photography and would like to upgrade from a camera phone. I like to take photos of food mostly and scenery.

My budget is < $350
As much as I would love to own a DSLR my budget simply doesnt allow me to(love the shutter sound it makes haha). Currently I'm looking for a camera which not just allows me to take photo of what I have mentioned but as well as moving objects without getting blurry.

Nikon Coolpix L330 Review - Specifications | PhotographyBLOG and Canon PowerShot SX170 IS Review - Specifications | PhotographyBLOG arethe ones I have been looking at.

I do not really have much idea for what to look out for so I would love if you guys could help me alittle! Any intro of other camera is welcome. As you can see I love this kind of camera grip as well

Thankyou for viewing my post. Have a nice day :)

davidktw

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hi guys, I am interested in doing alittle photography and would like to upgrade from a camera phone. I like to take photos of food mostly and scenery.

My budget is < $350
As much as I would love to own a DSLR my budget simply doesnt allow me to(love the shutter sound it makes haha). Currently I'm looking for a camera which not just allows me to take photo of what I have mentioned but as well as moving objects without getting blurry.

Nikon Coolpix L330 Review - Specifications | PhotographyBLOG and Canon PowerShot SX170 IS Review - Specifications | PhotographyBLOG arethe ones I have been looking at.

I do not really have much idea for what to look out for so I would love if you guys could help me alittle! Any intro of other camera is welcome. As you can see I love this kind of camera grip as well

Thankyou for viewing my post. Have a nice day :)

Just about any decent camera will satisfy that requirement of yours if you keep your scene to within your camera limitation.

Have sufficient lights, such as in the middle of the day or using a flash for near subjects, your subjects will most likely be freeze in action.

At the budget of 350, probably can't get you really far for a brand new camera. If you are keen to learn photography using DSLR, go source out a really old 2nd hand DSLR in Clubsnap forum. Who knows there may be someone willing to let go with the kit lens at your price.

The DSLR will definitely not be in its tip top condition, and probably under even the modest high end PnS camera you see in the market today. But you will get the opportunity to operate controls on the camera that you make you a better photographer, if that's what you want to learn to be.

Even the old Nikon D80 will make you a good photographer. If you bother to look at most shots that are so beautifully made, they don't require top tier camera to produce them, but they probably need a camera with delicate controls to ensure best exposure.

daniel_83

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
maybe you can buy an old model of mirrorless camera or 2nd hand

davidktw

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Thank you for the advice. Currently I have spotted another compact camera with manual controls Olympus Stylus XZ-10: Digital Photography Review anyone owns this?

This camera for starter don't even have a hotshoe to start with. Immediately you lose out the capability of playing strobes.

I'm not sure if photographers out there agree, but I personally feel there is a connection when you put up your eyes behind a viewfinder and snap things. It will train you on your framing and composition. You will feel a connection between what you look through the lens and what you snap.

I am a goer for mirrored setup due to the ability to see the scene in the naked form thru the optical lens. Not some digitally generated electronic viewfinder. Again there is fundamental differences on how you observe exposure and DOF when you depress the DOF button

Using DSLR, you have the option to play with filters and understand the power of using polarisers, GND and ND filters. Such as how you can open your lens at f/1.4 at broad daylight and still able to achieve long exposure using an extremely dark ND filter.

So think about it :)

kaidoka

Reaction score
That's alot to digest but really appreciate your help! I guess I have to remind myself what I need than what I want.

I guess I have decided to opt for a mirrorless compact hopefully comes with some manual control and able to go for 1080p video. If you guys do have a camera that fits what I look for please do intro me thanks alot! Looks like I may have to add an extra $100 if I would want to get this Canon PowerShot SX700 HS: Digital Photography Review

kaidoka

Reaction score
Thankyou so much for all the help! I have narrowed it down to Canon powershot100 and 110. So far im leaning more towards to the 110. Any comments are welcome :)

daniel_83

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Thankyou so much for all the help! I have narrowed it down to Canon powershot100 and 110. So far im leaning more towards to the 110. Any comments are welcome :)

Canon Powershot S110?
2 year old model? :eek:

hawkwind

Master Member
Reaction score
Try Olympus ZX-2. Online prices should be close to your budget. Better and brighter lens than the Canon but not as small.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.