BCA Full Dip or PSB Part Dip

Kianzxc

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

Trying to get some advice.

I have took up Olvl last year as a private candidate and did very badly.

But I was able to go BCA(Building Construction Academy) for their assessment. I pass their assessment test and was offer for a 3 year Full time dip in Mechanical Engineering. The benefit of going this path is if I did well I am able to get into NTU.
But the downside is, I have to quit my full time job and try 3 year. I am 22 now.

Psb I applying for their foundation program for 4mth and afterward 12mth dip in Supply chain management. 3 lesson per week 7-10pm.
The benefit is I get to continue working in relavant industry to get experience and up the certificate. Able to earn and pay the fees of the course also.

Anyone with experience can advice?

intime

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

Trying to get some advice.

I have took up Olvl last year as a private candidate and did very badly.

But I was able to go BCA(Building Construction Academy) for their assessment. I pass their assessment test and was offer for a 3 year Full time dip in Mechanical Engineering. The benefit of going this path is if I did well I am able to get into NTU.
But the downside is, I have to quit my full time job and try 3 year. I am 22 now.

Psb I applying for their foundation program for 4mth and afterward 12mth dip in Supply chain management. 3 lesson per week 7-10pm.
The benefit is I get to continue working in relavant industry to get experience and up the certificate. Able to earn and pay the fees of the course also.

Anyone with experience can advice?

Erm...are you interested in Mechanical Engineering? If you are then BCA is the best choice you have now, since it is a recognised institution by MOE and the chance to attend singapore universities.

I don't really recommend PSB diploma, the university choices they provided is not really good in terms of ranking. Although some australian uni they provide is okie, but they do not have honours classification.

How many years of experience do you have?
You may want to consider part-time polytechnic diploma, you can access the joint part-time qualifications portal here,
- https://www.getcet.sg/
If you score well, you may have a chance to enter NUS or UniSIM.
Progression chart,
- https://www.getcet.sg/About-CET/Overview.aspx
FAQ,
- MOE - FAQs

If you decide that part-time polytechnic diploma is not for you, at least try to apply for SIMGE diploma,
- SIM Global Education - Programme Finder
- The university choices SIMGE have are better in terms of ranking.

Or the very least a Kaplan diploma that can get you to Kaplan RH or Kaplan UCD.

Part-Time Polytechnic Admission 2015

Last edited:

Kianzxc

Reaction score
Erm...are you interested in Mechanical Engineering? If you are then BCA is the best choice you have now, since it is a recognised institution by MOE and the chance to attend singapore universities.

I don't really recommend PSB diploma, the university choices they provided is not really good in terms of ranking. Although some australian uni they provide is okie, but they do not have honours classification.

How many years of experience do you have?
You may want to consider part-time polytechnic diploma, you can access the joint part-time qualifications portal here,
- https://www.getcet.sg/
If you score well, you may have a chance to enter NUS or UniSIM.
Progression chart,
- https://www.getcet.sg/About-CET/Overview.aspx
FAQ,
- MOE - FAQs

If you decide that part-time polytechnic diploma is not for you, at least try to apply for SIMGE diploma,
- SIM Global Education - Programme Finder
- The university choices SIMGE have are better in terms of ranking.

Or the very least a Kaplan diploma that can get you to Kaplan RH or Kaplan UCD.

Part-Time Polytechnic Admission 2015

Thanks intime for the very detail advice.

I don't really have interested in any particular course. But environment is stopping me from going in. It's filled with foreigner.

I am only 3mth in my first full time job in a pharmaceutical shipping line. I tot getting a psb in supply chain will let me have both experience and a min dip for job hopping. I have apply interest in the local poly supply chain. But I highly doubt with my current qualification I am able to get in.

I thought of kaplan, but comparing with psb. I get 50% subsidise at psb being a NtUC member. Location wise psb is better for me also.

University route is a dream for me. Now I hope I can focus psb since the duration is short. But after seeing your advice it make me think again

intime

Reaction score
Thanks intime for the very detail advice.

I don't really have interested in any particular course. But environment is stopping me from going in. It's filled with foreigner.

I am only 3mth in my first full time job in a pharmaceutical shipping line. I tot getting a psb in supply chain will let me have both experience and a min dip for job hopping. I have apply interest in the local poly supply chain. But I highly doubt with my current qualification I am able to get in.

I thought of kaplan, but comparing with psb. I get 50% subsidise at psb being a NtUC member. Location wise psb is better for me also.

University route is a dream for me. Now I hope I can focus psb since the duration is short. But after seeing your advice it make me think again

I suggest you directly contact the relevant polytechnics on their part-time supply chain programmes, see whether they will consider your application.
- If possible, try to get support or a recommendation letter from your employer.

If you are concern about getting into a competitive job, then a ranked university degree is almost a must, take reference from global ranking charts,
- World University Rankings 2014-2015 - Times Higher Education
- QS World University Rankings® 2014/15 | Top Universities
- So do double check the foreign university degrees provided by private institutions against the ranking charts.
- But do note that local australian university degrees generally do not have honours classification, graduates have to travel to Australia to complete honours year, if honours classification is important to them.

If you are not concern about competitive jobs, then any honours degree from top private institutions will be fine. :o

Lastly, if you intend to get into a singapore university, and you are not able to secure at least a part-time polytechnic diploma, you may want to consider taking ITE Higher Nitec.
OR if you find yourself having some vigour and renewed determination, you may want to consider taking private A Levels. :D

Kianzxc

Reaction score
I suggest you directly contact the relevant polytechnics on their part-time supply chain programmes, see whether they will consider your application.
- If possible, try to get support or a recommendation letter from your employer.

If you are concern about getting into a competitive job, then a ranked university degree is almost a must, take reference from global ranking charts,
- World University Rankings 2014-2015 - Times Higher Education
- QS World University Rankings® 2014/15 | Top Universities
- So do double check the foreign university degrees provided by private institutions against the ranking charts.
- But do note that local australian university degrees generally do not have honours classification, graduates have to travel to Australia to complete honours year, if honours classification is important to them.

If you are not concern about competitive jobs, then any honours degree from top private institutions will be fine. :o

Lastly, if you intend to get into a singapore university, and you are not able to secure at least a part-time polytechnic diploma, you may want to consider taking ITE Higher Nitec.
OR if you find yourself having some vigour and renewed determination, you may want to consider taking private A Levels. :D

thank you intime, Seriously you word make me think it good for me! Cannot take A level la haha, my O lvl only English D7 and Comb Hum E8. I need to attend classes.

I taking part time @ PSB not telling my employer as OT got no money one. I rather end work at 7 rush to sch late for 30min. Better then owe them time then repay back is bohua one.

Actually I tried email my mp for 2 year regarding poly administration. They ask me go fly kite, refer me to the wsp and ITE.

I really take your advice seriously, but for now I more toward PSB because of the duration, location. degree is too expensive for me to even think about it. So one step at a time first ba.

thank you intime, can treat u makan if u want

DavidFhu

Reaction score
thank you intime, Seriously you word make me think it good for me! Cannot take A level la haha, my O lvl only English D7 and Comb Hum E8. I need to attend classes.

I taking part time @ PSB not telling my employer as OT got no money one. I rather end work at 7 rush to sch late for 30min. Better then owe them time then repay back is bohua one.

Actually I tried email my mp for 2 year regarding poly administration. They ask me go fly kite, refer me to the wsp and ITE.

I really take your advice seriously, but for now I more toward PSB because of the duration, location. degree is too expensive for me to even think about it. So one step at a time first ba.

thank you intime, can treat u makan if u want

I guess that you had already enrolled to PSB. It is not a bad place after all. Just graduated from PSB Diploma in Business Administration (Marketing Management) (PT).

Since you are already enrolled. I will recommend to make full use of all the resources that you have to score a good grade here. Make a lot of friends with classmates and the lecturers. Since most of them have a full time jobs in the day, they are good source of networking which will bring you some where. If not, at least you will enjoy your so call tough time battling with works, family relationship and study.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.