Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

Diploma in Paralegal studies by Kaplan

Share This Page
HardwareZone.com on Facebook

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-05-2012, 10:55 PM   #1
Master Member

Diploma in Paralegal studies by Kaplan

Anybody study this diploma in paralegal studies offered by Kaplan?

How is it?

Is it recognised since its only a 9 month course?

Did you manage to find a paralegal job or companies do not want to employ you espically you don't have the paralegal experience?
silver_sx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 07:46 AM   #2
Supremacy Member

Unless u planning to be a legal secetary/ executive, you are better off with other qualification. Freshies dont get paid that well..
Old 02-05-2012, 08:08 AM   #3
Master Member

Unless u planning to be a legal secetary/ executive, you are better off with other qualification. Freshies dont get paid that well..
Yes that is what I plan to be...

I think freshies should have at least around 2.2k starting salary?
Old 02-05-2012, 08:46 AM   #4
Supremacy Member

Yes that is what I plan to be...

I think freshies should have at least around 2.2k starting salary?
Executive starting yes.. Secretary starting is around 1.2k ~ 2.8k I think depending on which Legal Firm..Offshore Firms pay better. Experience is more important..If you are working now as a legal secretary and plan to continue, do the diploma.

Why dont you be lawyer? Get an LLB... go the long route... Do you know D&N pays Senior LA 8k~11k? A&G pays around Senior LA around 9k~12k?.... this doesn't include bonuses and allowances. And I believe u know what is the bonus is like.

Last edited by gld998; 02-05-2012 at 08:55 AM..
gld998 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 09:20 AM   #5
Master Member

Executive starting yes.. Secretary starting is around 1.2k ~ 2.8k I think depending on which Legal Firm..Offshore Firms pay better. Experience is more important..If you are working now as a legal secretary and plan to continue, do the diploma.

Why dont you be lawyer? Get an LLB... go the long route... Do you know D&N pays Senior LA 8k~11k? A&G pays around Senior LA around 9k~12k?.... this doesn't include bonuses and allowances. And I believe u know what is the bonus is like.
I am working in a totally different field now and am thinking of getting a diploma in paralegal studies to change job...

I will prefer to get a diploma 1st. Heard that a degree in law is difficult to get and I am not the type that is good in studying...
Old 02-05-2012, 09:37 AM   #6

why don't you do tp's law diploma:
School of Business - Diploma in Legal Executive Studies
or UOL's law diploma:
ITC School of Laws

imo, both choices are better than kaplan.
CityRail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 10:01 AM   #7
Master Member

or UOL's law diploma:
ITC School of Laws

I have already completed my polytechnic studies.

If I go back TP to study, I am not eglibile for the govt subsidy so it will be very expensive.

I checked Kaplan's diploma in paralegal studies.

Course fee is only 2.9k as I am exempted from taking the 2 business subjects whereas ITC school course fee is around 2.5 times more expensive than ITC school.

Why do you think ITC school is better than kaplan?
Old 29-05-2012, 03:02 PM   #8

or UOL's law diploma:
ITC School of Laws

indeed, as this is a forum, would be nice if you can share more of your opinion, why you think ITC is so good?
Tackey_Kong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 07:39 PM   #9

indeed, as this is a forum, would be nice if you can share more of your opinion, why you think ITC is so good?
I'm from ITC, and this is my comments about them.

First their admin support is good. It beats "ANY" Private Education School's Admin support anytime.

They are a school "specialized" in teaching law. Their lecturers are dedicated and knowledgeable. No doubt they teach you about UK law, but it generally applies to Singapore Law after all, Singapore's is formally a British Colony and so their laws are closely similar.

Furthermore, if you want a good foundation in law, its much better in taking a Law degree route in comparison to a diploma solely for paralegal work, it's too limiting in your career prospects and it doesn't guarantee you a job either as "most" law firms will pick people with Law specific qualifications.

To end opinion, UOL is a difficult qualification to do well. So if you intend to pursue it, you have to be committed. I'm working but i study almost 3hours per day, you won't pass/do well if you are a last minute kind of person. At the end of the day when you pass/do well its an achievement you feel grateful that you worked hard to achieve it.

cheers!

btw: im not advertising about them. its my personal views after all.
frozened is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 07:42 PM   #10
Master Member

Furthermore, if you want a good foundation in law, its much better in taking a Law degree route in comparison to a diploma solely for paralegal work, it's too limiting in your career prospects and it doesn't guarantee you a job either as "most" law firms will pick people with Law specific qualifications.

But with a diploma in paralegal, you can find law clerk jobs etc right?

I am sure many law firms are employing clerks to assist their lawyers in doing the paperwork right?
Old 03-06-2012, 09:06 PM   #11

But with a diploma in paralegal, you can find law clerk jobs etc right?

I am sure many law firms are employing clerks to assist their lawyers in doing the paperwork right?
If its the TP diploma in law and management yes. Not all law firms recognise the kaplan diploma in paralegal studies.
Overall in my opinion it depends on the law firms priority in recruitment and of course the qualification usefulness. But i've not heard of anyone securing a job with the kaplan diploma. If there is they must stand out, i've seen the modules and you'll be having some trouble when you work as a paralegal / legal secretary.

Also do note, most paralegals / legal secretary are female. If you're a guy, you got like 10% chance of getting hired. LOL.
Old 03-06-2012, 09:35 PM   #12
Master Member

If its the TP diploma in law and management yes. Not all law firms recognise the kaplan diploma in paralegal studies.
Overall in my opinion it depends on the law firms priority in recruitment and of course the qualification usefulness. But i've not heard of anyone securing a job with the kaplan diploma. If there is they must stand out, i've seen the modules and you'll be having some trouble when you work as a paralegal / legal secretary.

Also do note, most paralegals / legal secretary are female. If you're a guy, you got like 10% chance of getting hired. LOL.
whats wrong with the subjects offered by kaplan diploma in paralegal studies?

Oh and I am a guy. LOL

I also know chances of getting a paralegal job is low. So am considering taking a diploma in hr now
Old 12-06-2012, 09:53 PM   #13
Great Supremacy Member

paralegal in IP firm is quite niche.

Salary and bonus generally are good. see the lawyer/attorney you under is good or not. some are damn nasty.

Its a stressful job and must be able to take the "heat"/scolding.
Old 22-06-2012, 10:54 AM   #14

I'm from ITC, and this is my comments about them.

First their admin support is good. It beats "ANY" Private Education School's Admin support anytime.

They are a school "specialized" in teaching law. Their lecturers are dedicated and knowledgeable. No doubt they teach you about UK law, but it generally applies to Singapore Law after all, Singapore's is formally a British Colony and so their laws are closely similar.

To end opinion, UOL is a difficult qualification to do well. So if you intend to pursue it, you have to be committed. I'm working but i study almost 3hours per day, you won't pass/do well if you are a last minute kind of person. At the end of the day when you pass/do well its an achievement you feel grateful that you worked hard to achieve it.

cheers!

btw: im not advertising about them. its my personal views after all.

but ITC is no longer exist? or merged with SAA? not sure...
how can ITC's service beats any other PEI in Singapore? that statement is too big of a claim...
Tackey_Kong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2012, 08:28 PM   #15

but ITC is no longer exist? or merged with SAA? not sure...
how can ITC's service beats any other PEI in Singapore? that statement is too big of a claim...
ITC exists... You'll have to compare with yourself and see the difference. I did my own homework when i decided to take a LLB. And i'm sure its somewhere in this forum that studying a LLB doesnt enable to you become a lawyer in singapore here.
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.