best beginner DSLR camera

seahxxl

Reaction score
Hi all, planning to start to take up photoshooting. Any recommendation for beginners?

My budget is around $2000. is it too little?

thanks in advance!

salesgp

Reaction score
Pentax, nikon, canon, fujifilm, olympus, panasonic. take your time and pick the one you like.

ask yourself.
what do you want to shoot ?

starfish.starfish

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Actually nowadays the camera provided by the smart phones are quite capable of letting you practice on composition, lighting, exposure etc. the basics of photography.

For slightly more advanced technics like dof, understanding all the manual settings, a prosumer, 4/3 or beginner dslr can more than satisfy.

After that, if you want to play around with IR, low light, long exposure, sports, macro, birds, then you might need to upgrade your equipment or buy more specialized lens.

As a start, will recommend reading up on the difference between prosumer,4/3, dslr to understand which type u want to buy. Esp 4/3 and dslr as it's really an ecosystem on its own, with lens, filters, speed light etc. not just a camera anymore.

And yes will recommend buying 2nd hands first since you are just starting out.

Soon anyway you will succumb to the bbb syndrome :)

Hv fun & start shooting!

mrchiongster

Reaction score
Hi all, planning to start to take up photoshooting. Any recommendation for beginners?

My budget is around $2000. is it too little?

thanks in advance!

$2000 is sufficient and may be more than enough!

Want to shoot sports?
Consider getting 2nd hand Canon 7D, the new Canon 70D or Nikon D7100

Want a lightweight and rugged camera to travel around the world?
Buy the Fujifilm XT1, Olympus EM1, Olympus EM5
*These are all weather resistant cameras. and good looking ones too.

Want to shoot video and take pictures?
Get the Canon 60D, 70D or Panasonic GH3!

These were some camera models I considered when I was getting started in photography. There's many more choices out there, and I suggest you ask around more and read user reviews! 2000 bucks is hard to earned!

KitKatKitKat

Reaction score
Sony A7, but that's a bit overbudget with kit lens. Or you can get fuji XE1 with kit lens below 2000.

EJB

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
All TS basically needs to kick off is a DSLR + 50 f/1.8.

$2000 is way beyond that already.

abcd0_12340

Reaction score
All TS basically needs to kick off is a DSLR + 50 f/1.8.

$2000 is way beyond that already.

Ditto that.

Spend the money on a decent DSLR and use the remaining money for accessories like dry cabinet, filters, etc.

SNGRobo

Reaction score
My reply is easy, get a mid-range DSLR like the Canon 70D or Nikon D7100. Do not be mistaken, there are many other brands out there. These 2 brands are the most common in Singapore.

Reason for getting a mid-range is that if you are really interested in photography, you will find your beginner DSLR obselete very fast. Personally, I bought the Canon 600D upon its release. It still fulfills my required function up till now, but I find it too slow to switch between functions like aperture speed and exposure timing. Mid-range will usually have a custom setting dial and 2 dials for you to do quick settings change. After 2 years with my Canon 600D, I finally save enough for the 70D. Again I am not promoting Canon. Just aim for a mid-range and it can really last you a long time.

Remember to go get a hands-on feel on the camera you are interested in. Spend a bit more in the beginning better than waste more money in the end. My Canon 600D sitting at home collecting dust as the resale value sucks now. Maybe will give it to my brother as he seems to like it.

voiceoflove

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
My reply is easy, get a mid-range DSLR like the Canon 70D or Nikon D7100. Do not be mistaken, there are many other brands out there. These 2 brands are the most common in Singapore.

Reason for getting a mid-range is that if you are really interested in photography, you will find your beginner DSLR obselete very fast. Personally, I bought the Canon 600D upon its release. It still fulfills my required function up till now, but I find it too slow to switch between functions like aperture speed and exposure timing. Mid-range will usually have a custom setting dial and 2 dials for you to do quick settings change. After 2 years with my Canon 600D, I finally save enough for the 70D. Again I am not promoting Canon. Just aim for a mid-range and it can really last you a long time.

Remember to go get a hands-on feel on the camera you are interested in. Spend a bit more in the beginning better than waste more money in the end. My Canon 600D sitting at home collecting dust as the resale value sucks now. Maybe will give it to my brother as he seems to like it.

u get 600d and upgrade to 7d, why not full frame ?

joyfish88

Reaction score
Hi. Can OM-D E-M10 consider mid or beginner range. Long long ago was using olympus om-2 sp mechanical om-1 & Yashica camera then stop after start working.
Best shops for om camera for quote with warranty. Really lost touch on dslr camera.
Tks

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.