EDMW Knife Collectors

vespaguy

Master Member
Reaction score
Spent a month with this overseas. Thankfully I didn't need to use it much.

kvX5RInl.jpg

I like that parquet floor. Matt finish and oldskool arrangement ;)

vespaguy

Master Member
Reaction score
Last knife for the year...it was supposed to be for Xmas, but this little bugger came a week late. Well, better late than never.

Simple nice little puukko, with some local Croatian wood, and stacked leather scales (I'm curious how stacked leather will take to our humid weather), bolt-tang construction and a sturdy pouch style dangler sheath. Blade is a nice thin scandi ground carbon steel with a tiny microbevel (makes for easy touch ups). I love finnish puukko knives ;)

Will use for steak dinner next week...omugi beef, beware :s13:

vespaguy

Master Member
Reaction score
Happy New Year - I guess the squirrels are sleeping in today =:p

What's on your 2014 wishlist? Share your thoughts...

I would like to get down and complete a few projects: rehandling my kitchen knives with nicer wood, getting my custom folder done (I have one on order perhaps two if funds permit) and the indonesian parang project (although that's the least important as I have no need for a long blade these days). As with everything else in life, nothing is set in stone (or forged in steel :s13:), merely ink on paper.

Sigmazxcs

Reaction score
Happy New Year - I guess the squirrels are sleeping in today =:p

What's on your 2014 wishlist? Share your thoughts...

I would like to get down and complete a few projects: rehandling my kitchen knives with nicer wood, getting my custom folder done (I have one on order perhaps two if funds permit) and the indonesian parang project (although that's the least important as I have no need for a long blade these days). As with everything else in life, nothing is set in stone (or forged in steel :s13:), merely ink on paper.

Nope, this squirrel is constantly browsing and waiting for a nice topic to chime in on!

With this new year, plenty of things in place.
This year willbe the year I step into the world of customs. As mentioned, I'll score a Will Moon custom (hopefully the ambi-button lock). And I'll get about to changing the scales on my BM710 with a set of custom Ti-liners. Hopefully I have the time to settle in and spend some time to make a little chef utility blade for the kick of it. :)

vespaguy

Master Member
Reaction score
sigma, do you have a design for a chef utility blade yet? are you grinding from a blank or forging? you could try using kits first, to work on handle skills - at least that's an option.

bellwether

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Ka Bar fighting knife, about 100USD I think. It's really hefty! I used the base as a hammer a few times and it's still intact. :s22:

It worries me that I can guess a knife brand just from the blade now...
I have a more traditional fighting knife on route, it won't look nice causes it's pre-owned but I'll post pics when I get it.

Sigmazxcs

Reaction score
sigma, do you have a design for a chef utility blade yet? are you grinding from a blank or forging? you could try using kits first, to work on handle skills - at least that's an option.

Handle work not gonna be an issue for me I guess. I should be getting AEB-L and cutting it on my own. Design more or less confirmed. Gonna have it in a brushed finish with mirror edge. :D

vespaguy

Master Member
Reaction score
@signma: AEB-L. That would be great. I look forward to it. Apparently it is one of the best stainless steels for the kitchen, in terms of microstructure, ability to hold edge and ease of sharpening and cost. Great choice.

@bell. what other classic are you getting? a Fairbairn-Sykes? Pre-owned is good....sometimes love marks make it better.

Sigmazxcs

Reaction score
@signma: AEB-L. That would be great. I look forward to it. Apparently it is one of the best stainless steels for the kitchen, in terms of microstructure, ability to hold edge and ease of sharpening and cost. Great choice.

@bell. what other classic are you getting? a Fairbairn-Sykes? Pre-owned is good....sometimes love marks make it better.

Yeap. AEB-L is a great steel. Even gavkoo uses it all the time. I was considering 154cm too.
It should be a simple enough design, with black/white mopped kirinite for handles.

bellwether

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score

Not something so classy unfortunately, it's a rough knife but I like my steels that way :) I'll keep it a surprise till I have pics.

sojourn88

Reaction score
Happy New Year all collectors!@ and if you are thinking of ways to reward yourself with your just earned AWS/ Bonus...
Check out these two Benchmade models for pre-order :

1) Benchmade 755 - Shane Sibert Design 2.9" Titanium Monolock, M390 Super Steel - FOR Those with M390 Super Steel craving and those into overbuilt tank design....

http://forums.hardwarezone.com.sg/general-merchandise-bazaar-261/%5Bwts%5D-benchmade-755-shane-sibert-design-2-9-titanium-monolock-m390-super-steel-4524069.html

BM755_01.jpg

BM755_03.jpg

2) The Benchmade 300SN Axis Flipper, Butch Ball design with beautifully textured Sand/Earth G10 scales
http://forums.hardwarezone.com.sg/general-merchandise-bazaar-261/%5Bwts%5D-benchmade-300sn-butch-ball-design-axis-flipper-knife-4523992.html

bm_300SN_03.jpg

bm_300SN_05.jpg

Act fast as last check with supplier show only 1 pc left.!

Last edited:

taeception

Reaction score
Is it normal that a new knife has scratches on the blade right out of the box? Like those hairline scratches.. or am I thinking too much :o

vespaguy

Master Member
Reaction score
sometimes, yes. There's always handling involved, or, it has been rested on the table etc. Hairline should be ok unless you paid a lot for it and you want it MINT. I'm a little longsighted so I can't even see the hairline scratches, lol.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.