EDMW Knife Collectors

ZedMaster

Banned
Reaction score
The police asked, "Show us how you open the knife".

I was carrying a SOG mini vulcan. We know we can flick it open but don't ever do that infront of the police. Gingerly lift up the blade to open it.

If you flick it open, it can be seen as a flick knife, which is illegal.

They said, "It's okay. Just a pen knife".

It was my second time being pulled aside because of the SOG in my backpack.

vespaguy

Master Member
Reaction score
Does anybody know if there is a way to restore the blackness of the blade?

if it's a coated blade, no, unless you send it back out for stripping and re-coating (not done by companies). you have to get it from third parties.

if your blade is scratched up and faded, those are character marks. If you buy a coated blade and use it, expect that the coating will rub off.

Personally I would do nothing.

ZedMaster

Banned
Reaction score
if it's a coated blade, no, unless you send it back out for stripping and re-coating (not done by companies). you have to get it from third parties.

if your blade is scratched up and faded, those are character marks. If you buy a coated blade and use it, expect that the coating will rub off.

Personally I would do nothing.

Thanks man.

One man said.

First, go to a workshop and get some used engine oil which is full of carbon. Then heat the blade till it's red hot and drop it into the used engine oil.

LOL.. I'm not gonna try.

vespaguy

Master Member
Reaction score
Thanks man.

One man said.

First, go to a workshop and get some used engine oil which is full of carbon. Then heat the blade till it's red hot and drop it into the used engine oil.

LOL.. I'm not gonna try.

good luck :s13:you're gonna ruin the heat treat. especially for a stainless. even for a carbon, you're gonna likely ruin a heat treat without re-tempering.

if you buy a black coated blade, don't expect it to be both a user and safe queen at the same time. the very reason why I don't buy coated blades. the days of dork ops are over. get stonewashed if you want a user that doesn't look like the kopitiam metal sink. get satin if you want refinement (but it will look scratched), get handrubbed satin if you want custom/luxe, get beadblast if you want to be dork ops but in a less dorky-ops way. just tongue-in-cheek, get what you like ;)=:p

Rock-kun

Reaction score
The police asked, "Show us how you open the knife".

I was carrying a SOG mini vulcan. We know we can flick it open but don't ever do that infront of the police. Gingerly lift up the blade to open it.

If you flick it open, it can be seen as a flick knife, which is illegal.

They said, "It's okay. Just a pen knife".

It was my second time being pulled aside because of the SOG in my backpack.

Where was this? And how would you define 'flick'? Will opening it slowly but one-handed count as a 'flick'?

I wouldn't carry a Vulcan Mini though. SOG's designs tend to heavily favour taticool, and you can bet our local men in blue may be more than just a little intimidated by their appearance. In fact I've recently switched out the S&W CK402 knife in my tool bag to a CRKT M16-01KZ and a Schrade SCH107. They definitely look a lot more utilitarian than any of SOG's higher priced knives.

ZedMaster

Banned
Reaction score
Where was this? And how would you define 'flick'? Will opening it slowly but one-handed count as a 'flick'?

I wouldn't carry a Vulcan Mini though. SOG's designs tend to heavily favour taticool, and you can bet our local men in blue may be more than just a little intimidated by their appearance. In fact I've recently switched out the S&W CK402 knife in my tool bag to a CRKT M16-01KZ and a Schrade SCH107. They definitely look a lot more utilitarian than any of SOG's higher priced knives.

CIQ in woodlands.

I'm not sure what the policeman would say if I had remove the blade using the wrist-flick method, which will cause the blade of my SOG to lock in place instantly, almost like a switch blade.

It's a funny law. A switch blade, even those below 3" in length, is illegal.

ZedMaster

Banned
Reaction score
good luck :s13:you're gonna ruin the heat treat. especially for a stainless. even for a carbon, you're gonna likely ruin a heat treat without re-tempering.

if you buy a black coated blade, don't expect it to be both a user and safe queen at the same time. the very reason why I don't buy coated blades. the days of dork ops are over. get stonewashed if you want a user that doesn't look like the kopitiam metal sink. get satin if you want refinement (but it will look scratched), get handrubbed satin if you want custom/luxe, get beadblast if you want to be dork ops but in a less dorky-ops way. just tongue-in-cheek, get what you like ;)=:p

I really like just looking at it when it was brand new.

Now, it's just a practical thing. :(

mamba2012

Reaction score

210mm Vg-10 San mai Gyuto for sale. Pm me if interested. Selling at a steal of a price and it has only been used once. :)

wrathbringer27

Reaction score
Hello guys! I've been looking around to see if its legal to bring in parts of an auto and I dont own auto knives. I'm just curious as I have asked a few friends who are in the force but I get different answers. There's apparently a lot of grey areas in the law. One said the law didnt say anything about bringing in PARTS but complete product, so if you guys wanted a balisong or an auto, you could get it by shipping them disassembled. I just wanted a definitive answer, like how they classify knives with 2 or more edges a dagger so we cant bring in the jagdkommando as it has 3 edges... Any input would be lovely!

P.S. I'm a knife collector as well but only own about 8 budget knives. Prominent names would be CRKT Foresight and CS Spartan. Maybe a Ganzo G712 as well.

mamba2012

Reaction score
Hello guys! I've been looking around to see if its legal to bring in parts of an auto and I dont own auto knives. I'm just curious as I have asked a few friends who are in the force but I get different answers. There's apparently a lot of grey areas in the law. One said the law didnt say anything about bringing in PARTS but complete product, so if you guys wanted a balisong or an auto, you could get it by shipping them disassembled. I just wanted a definitive answer, like how they classify knives with 2 or more edges a dagger so we cant bring in the jagdkommando as it has 3 edges... Any input would be lovely!

P.S. I'm a knife collector as well but only own about 8 budget knives. Prominent names would be CRKT Foresight and CS Spartan. Maybe a Ganzo G712 as well.

Nope. I sincerely hope nobody answers this question. Autos are illegal. Plain and simple. Who cares if you are bringing them in part by part? Your question clearly hints at the intention of assembling one and circumventing the law.

Anybody asking such questions really is really testing the law and if you happen to get caught, I'll really just :s13::s13::s13::s13: at you for embarking on this path.

A dagger is a weapon, with the single purpose to kill. As to how a dagger is classified, why not pose this question to our Men In Blue:s8:? This thread has been an informative one, where useful information about steels, handle materials, heat treats, etc are shared. Please take your mall ninja stuff elsewhere.

wrathbringer27

Reaction score
Nope. I sincerely hope nobody answers this question. Autos are illegal. Plain and simple. Who cares if you are bringing them in part by part? Your question clearly hints at the intention of assembling one and circumventing the law.

Anybody asking such questions really is really testing the law and if you happen to get caught, I'll really just :s13::s13::s13::s13: at you for embarking on this path.

A dagger is a weapon, with the single purpose to kill. As to how a dagger is classified, why not pose this question to our Men In Blue:s8:? This thread has been an informative one, where useful information about steels, handle materials, heat treats, etc are shared. Please take your mall ninja stuff elsewhere.
Well I did precisely pose the question to the men in blue and answers were vague. So if there are stuff like this, then assembling a high powered ebike is also possible. What I'm trying to get to is whether importing parts of things that could be illegal in Singapore is possible. And I know why daggers are illegal. I wasn't asking about daggers really. More like parts for an illegal device. there are many autos with different blade profiles so you can't really classify them all as daggers :(

I'm really curious LOL as its not really infringing the law if the parts are there but not assembled isn't it?:s13: One of my close relative is a police officer, even he is not sure as no where in the law states about importing parts of an item which could potentially be illegal. The word here is POTENTIALLY. I really hope they define the law more clearly like they did with regulation of assembled ebikes. Scooters are still not yet regulated so get your high powered ones before they get regulated!

P.S. I'm prolly under CID watchlist by now LOL

Last edited:

wrathbringer27

Reaction score
Another question is this: Would something like this constitute as a dagger?
rBVaEFe3urWAUE3BAAETmTnUQek369.jpg

Its partially sharpened spine? And would this constitute as a butterfly knife? it does not meet the design intent of one nor does it operate like one.
rBVaEVe3urWAQ5WtAAE7lFRx-t8446.jpg

rBVaEFe3urWAAPb4AAENapc4D5E057.jpg

mamba2012

Reaction score
Well I did precisely pose the question to the men in blue and answers were vague. So if there are stuff like this, then assembling a high powered ebike is also possible. What I'm trying to get to is whether importing parts of things that could be illegal in Singapore is possible. And I know why daggers are illegal. I wasn't asking about daggers really. More like parts for an illegal device. there are many autos with different blade profiles so you can't really classify them all as daggers :(

I'm really curious LOL as its not really infringing the law if the parts are there but not assembled isn't it?:s13: One of my close relative is a police officer, even he is not sure as no where in the law states about importing parts of an item which could potentially be illegal. The word here is POTENTIALLY. I really hope they define the law more clearly like they did with regulation of assembled ebikes. Scooters are still not yet regulated so get your high powered ones before they get regulated!

P.S. I'm prolly under CID watchlist by now LOL

To import the parts of an illegal item first and then assemble them is indeed making the illegal object. If you import parts of a gun... And assemble them.. What do you get? :) Would telling the police that "Oh no, I only imported parts of the gun" help your case or make it any less illegal?

"What do you think?"

vespaguy

Master Member
Reaction score
Another question is this: Would something like this constitute as a dagger?
rBVaEFe3urWAUE3BAAETmTnUQek369.jpg

Its partially sharpened spine? And would this constitute as a butterfly knife? it does not meet the design intent of one nor does it operate like one.
rBVaEVe3urWAQ5WtAAE7lFRx-t8446.jpg

rBVaEFe3urWAAPb4AAENapc4D5E057.jpg

what is your fascination with butterfly/gravity/auto knives, or, their subsitutes or their parts?

I'll take a good manual locking folder, flipper or otherwise, over an auto or balisong, anyday of the week.

whilst having a part of an auto folder may not be illegal, if you have all the parts of the folder AND you do put them together, that makes it an automatic knife and thus possession is illegal. DO you want law enforcement to knock on your door and say that you had an auto, but you disassembled it? DO you want the hassle of proving that they were never meant to be put together? you want to encase them in epoxy/perspex so as to show they are never meant to be put together (at least not without breaking the perspex case). It doesn't make sense to me.

in any case, since you cannot get an answer from SPF, why not err on the side of caution? the only reason anyone would buy parts is to put himself in a position to put together an auto, which crystalizes the violation. Why would you want to do that? who do you have to prove to? why put yourself in a position of temptation?

There is no honour or glory in sitting through interviews with enforcement agencies. And unless you spending money on lawyers and you have deep pockets and/or standing within the enforcement/licensing agencies, I would stay away from the edge of the envelope - there are other challenges and better things to do in life.

Last edited:

wrathbringer27

Reaction score
what is your fascination with butterfly/gravity/auto knives, or, their subsitutes or their parts?

I'll take a good manual locking folder, flipper or otherwise, over an auto or balisong, anyday of the week.

whilst having a part of an auto folder may not be illegal, if you have all the parts of the folder AND you do put them together, that makes it an automatic knife and thus possession is illegal. DO you want law enforcement to knock on your door and say that you had an auto, but you disassembled it? DO you want the hassle of proving that they were never meant to be put together? you want to encase them in epoxy/perspex so as to show they are never meant to be put together (at least not without breaking the perspex case). It doesn't make sense to me.

in any case, since you cannot get an answer from SPF, why not err on the side of caution? the only reason anyone would buy parts is to put himself in a position to put together an auto, which crystalizes the violation. Why would you want to do that? who do you have to prove to? why put yourself in a position of temptation?

There is no honour or glory in sitting through interviews with enforcement agencies. And unless you spending money on lawyers and you have deep pockets and/or standing within the enforcement/licensing agencies, I would stay away from the edge of the envelope - there are other challenges and better things to do in life.

I mean as a knife collector, you don't really use them for anything right? I can a doit that I've never used a knife outside of my house. Except a pen knife. So actually ownine one is more of a novelty then an object with a purpose :) Do you see whr I'm going?

vespaguy

Master Member
Reaction score
I mean as a knife collector, you don't really use them for anything right? I can a doit that I've never used a knife outside of my house. Except a pen knife. So actually ownine one is more of a novelty then an object with a purpose :) Do you see whr I'm going?

actually no. I don't see a reason to collect illegal items. If the items are historical/antiques, you can try approaching SPF. Say you collect old jambiyas and you want them for your museum, you can approach SPF. They may impose conditions, who knows. But using the 'collecting' reason as a basis to get around a general prohibition per se will not work. And when you say 'novelty' - that's even worse. Trade the word 'knife' for 'gun'. And see if that rationale works.

There are parameters which need to be respected in hobbies which can be misconstrued or misused/abused. They are responsibilities to the knife collecting community. WHen people start abusing it (as some will inevitably do so), they taint the hobby. No doubt, there'll be idiots who will buy autos, balisongs, nunchukus, crossbows etc when they can and who try and disassemble them and import them. If they don't get caught, they're happy. When you get caught, well, it won't be so pleasant.

If you want absolute freedom in collecting anything, then you have to migrate to where such restrictions are not present. I think we have it better locally than some other places and also worse than yet other places.

There have been subtle changes in the legislation as law enforcement and regulatory policies evolve. Perhaps someday, regulators may review the laws against autos, but if 80% of the states in the USA outlaw autos (and that is a country with the right to bear arms), I think it won't be happening in the near future.

Anyways, I doubt anyone has any interest in collecting PARTS OF AN AUTO KNIFE, other than to have the whole knife.

As for the purpose of a knife: it is a cutting tool. Sure, everything can be weaponized, like a hammer, a chisel, an ice pick. Some knives are a little fancy to use roughly, but there's nothing stopping a collector from using his $100,000 three-inch bladed diamond encrusted folding knife to cut chye sim if he wants to. For the renovation contractor, a box cutter or a cheap kitchen knife ($1 at pasar malam) may be all he needs.

Last edited:

wrathbringer27

Reaction score
actually no. I don't see a reason to collect illegal items. If the items are historical/antiques, you can try approaching SPF. Say you collect old jambiyas and you want them for your museum, you can approach SPF. They may impose conditions, who knows. But using the 'collecting' reason as a basis to get around a general prohibition per se will not work. And when you say 'novelty' - that's even worse. Trade the word 'knife' for 'gun'. And see if that rationale works.

There are parameters which need to be respected in hobbies which can be misconstrued or misused/abused. They are responsibilities to the knife collecting community. WHen people start abusing it (as some will inevitably do so), they taint the hobby. No doubt, there'll be idiots who will buy autos, balisongs, nunchukus, crossbows etc when they can and who try and disassemble them and import them. If they don't get caught, they're happy. When you get caught, well, it won't be so pleasant.

If you want absolute freedom in collecting anything, then you have to migrate to where such restrictions are not present. I think we have it better locally than some other places and also worse than yet other places.

There have been subtle changes in the legislation as law enforcement and regulatory policies evolve. Perhaps someday, regulators may review the laws against autos, but if 80% of the states in the USA outlaw autos (and that is a country with the right to bear arms), I think it won't be happening in the near future.

Anyways, I doubt anyone has any interest in collecting PARTS OF AN AUTO KNIFE, other than to have the whole knife.

As for the purpose of a knife: it is a cutting tool. Sure, everything can be weaponized, like a hammer, a chisel, an ice pick. Some knives are a little fancy to use roughly, but there's nothing stopping a collector from using his $100,000 three-inch bladed diamond encrusted folding knife to cut chye sim if he wants to. For the renovation contractor, a box cutter or a cheap kitchen knife ($1 at pasar malam) may be all he needs.
I guess case closed? I mean any knife can be a weapon. I do find politicians pass down stupid laws sometimes.

I just consulted another police friend currently in vocation, and all he said was DON'T GET CAUGHT. Apparently its not a crime unless you're caught!:s13::s13::s13:

Wait! nunchucks are prohibited? And are escrimas prohibited as well?

i have another issue, well not really but I did buy a baofeng walkie talkie from china but it passed by customs no problem. HOW??

I wanna put forth that I'm sorry for hijacking this thread.

vespaguy

Master Member
Reaction score
I guess case closed? I mean any knife can be a weapon. I do find politicians pass down stupid laws sometimes.

I just consulted another police friend currently in vocation, and all he said was DON'T GET CAUGHT. Apparently its not a crime unless you're caught!:s13::s13::s13:

Wait! nunchucks are prohibited? And are escrimas prohibited as well?

i have another issue, well not really but I did buy a baofeng walkie talkie from china but it passed by customs no problem. HOW??

I wanna put forth that I'm sorry for hijacking this thread.

you need to study the laws (obviously you haven't as you are asking questions that should've been answered if you have read the various excerpts that have been posted numerous times in this thread, which I am no inclined to reproduce), and then the mischief behind them or the thinking behind them. The laws were enacted and passed years ago, in fact, adopting/borrowing heavily from various legislation around the world, notably UK. are you familiar with the reasoning behind them in the source country? if you aren't, it would be an interesting exercise - just google it...it may be more interesting a hobby if you know when autos came about, why they're viewed with concern, why the legislation etc. Sometimes these things read like a story book. I can't say the laws are stupid...but the above is my concern - both with the guys having to enforce it, the people having to interpret it, the people having to live with it etc. UNless you have a sound and thorough understanding, you cannot start to repeal it or criticize it.

remember, there's no free KnifeRights.org to do your homework for you here.

nunchuckus, escrimas - I suggest you read up on the laws. collapsible batons, nunchuckus are deemed to be weapons and illegal (unless you are authorised - collapsible batons that is). if you are found with one, you will be charged. as for batons, sticks etc - I believe that intent is important. There are various FMA centres here - so if you are using it for practice, going to and fro class and are not brandishing it and using as a weapon, I believe the SPF will not be too unreasonable. If you bring such gear along with you to nightclubs etc, then you're asking to be charged (you can still spend your resource defending yourself). whatever it is, don't weaponize such gear. keep the sticks in a gym bag, secured etc. it is always better to show that there is clearly no intent.

I don't know anything about walkies.

But it appears you like to walk at the edge of the knife (pun intended) =:p Since these are public forums, it is wise to assume that everyone reads them, from friends to foe to law enforcement to impressionable minds, so perhaps the answers you seek will not be forthcoming here.

Fundamentally, one always has a choice. Sometimes we make good decisions, sometimes we make poor ones. So please be careful - a moment of folly may result in a lifetime of regret.

Collecting knives per se and using them for lawful purpose isn't a criminal activity. I use my kitchen knives every day, and that is an interesting cutting tool as well :)

ps: if you need to satisfy your curiousity on autos, balisongs etc. go and handle them in countries where they are not illegal. I have and I can say that they hold no interest for me. Autos have their place when one does not have full use of both hands or heavily gloved (but a fixed will be much better). In terms of speed of blade deployment - a fixed is better and the extra second it takes to open a manual folder won't really make a difference - however I am not a first responder so I could be a 100% wrong.

Last edited:
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.