Great Supremacy Member

Good morning people +1
BeaRzwalken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2017, 09:01 AM   #66
High Supremacy Member

Morning, all!
Old 06-07-2017, 09:05 AM   #67
Supremacy Member

Those with marnee take piano and violin lessons. Those without join skool bands to learn music for free
Play recorder

Lol

Sounds like shyt

Taught by shyt teachers
kannis_ng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2017, 09:06 AM   #68
High Supremacy Member

Play recorder

Lol

Sounds like shyt

Taught by shyt teachers
Iirc the recorder was introduced because it's the easiest to learn, and the cheapest to acquire in bulk!! I always thought harmonicas were cheaper but apparently not..
Old 06-07-2017, 09:10 AM   #69
High Supremacy Member

I've a lot of students- mostly their parents- complaining that the kid sounds like he's killing cats in the back room whenever he plays. It's normal and natural- though I can understand their frustration. Muscle memory will take time to develop.

The horrible sound can be the result of many factors such as using too little bow, not slowing down the bow before changing direction, too much pressure on the bow, playing too close to the bridge, bow not perpendicular to the strings, upper arms moving unnecessarily, fingers gripping the frog instead of balancing on it, etc. The LH can contribute also, mainly due to the player pressing the fingertips too hard on the strings or the thumb pressing on the neck unnecessarily.

I've also had a lot of good meaning parents trying and failing to rosin bows properly, resulting in the violin looking as if it's gone through a snowstorm, and the sound coming out extremely scratchy.

My best tip is- play in front of a mirror so you can see exactly what your bow hand is doing. It takes awhile to develop that perfect balance between absolute control and a relaxed wrist, but it's doable. With time and training, it's very doable.
Old 06-07-2017, 11:51 AM   #70
High Supremacy Member

If I had a dollar for each time a parent asked me if their child is ready for vibrato I would be giving Bill Gates a run for his money. Literally.

If you can't sound good without vibrato, you are NOT going to sound good with vibrato. Period. Full stop. End of story. Bye bye.

I don't know why so many people think that vibrato is the magic bullet that'll put you up there with Itzhak Perlman. It's not a quick fix any more than the sustain pedal on the piano is (a lot of beginners think that sounding good = hitting the pedal THROUGH THE WHOLE SONG. Please don't do that).

My teacher used to say- "Do you know why so many Singaporean cafes serve brownies only when they're smothered in ice cream? The ice cream is there to mask the fact that the brownie is shitty." It's a harsh critic, but it's often true- too many kids pedal/vibrato through an entire piece to cover up any mistakes or technical deficits.

I generally won't let a student attempt vibrato until he has been playing competently in third position for at least six months, and his scales and arpeggios are solid. Some teachers are even stricter about this..

Edit- what's the big deal about vibrato, anyway? Many modern violinists use way too much of it, enough that it actually takes away from the melody. You really shouldn't vibrate all the time except in slow, expressive pieces where you use a slow and large vibrato to make it seem as if the violin is weeping. You should be deliberately choosing WHICH NOTES to vibrate rather than shaking your hand ALL THE TIME out of habit. That's a cop out, and you look like you've got Parkinson's.

Most good baroque pieces- Bach, Handel- omit most vibrato. It's only going to be played on longer notes where nothing interesting is happening. If that, even. Because there are lots of other things that you can use to fill the space e.g. Percussive grace notes, rolls, trebles..

Ok I'm getting very technical here. I'll stop.
Old 06-07-2017, 12:36 PM   #71
High Supremacy Member

My one o clock kid cancelled, so I've time.

I love it when beginner students make their own auto-adjustments. I'll ask what is wrong, and they'll generally tell me that they shifted because the note "didn't sound right".

And that really heartens me because it means they're developing a good ear. You should be able to know whether or not you're in tune without an electronic tuner to give you hints.

Knowing how to hit the right note is good, but knowing that you've made a mistake and knowing how to correct it is even better.

So don't apologise for not sounding right. Be glad you KNOW you don't sound right.
Old 06-07-2017, 12:42 PM   #72
Supremacy Member

think neighbours will come smack moi face if i buy a violin

not suitable for pigeon hole dwellers
Can use mutes. I have metal and lubber ones.
Old 06-07-2017, 12:43 PM   #73
High Supremacy Member

Can use mutes. I have metal and lubber ones.
Rubber works for me!
Old 06-07-2017, 12:45 PM   #74
Supremacy Member

Any video(s) to showcase chiur talent?
You are the one with DipABRSM right ?
Old 06-07-2017, 12:45 PM   #75
High Supremacy Member

You are the one with DipABRSM right ?
Ya he is!!

I'm only now embarking on the dip myself. Can die. Can really die. My neighbors also all dying.
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.