GPGT/AMA/LIVE Update - Hokkaido 10-16 January 2018

DarkStarer

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Ate my chicken on the way as I headed for Tanukikoji. Had to get some tidbits from Donki.

In the background you see Kani Honke. This is a really popular (and expensive) restaurant specializing in crabs. A meal here can easily cost upwards of ¥10000. Almost had it for my birthday.

fK1PRPtl.jpg

Fully booked on a Monday night.

hQbnh07l.jpg

4tm7SQLl.jpg

They keep their crabs in a pond.

wurn5ajl.jpg

Saw a gyoza place as I walked further down. Mental note to come back if I can retrace my steps and if I have sufficient money left.

Z3rHCHRl.jpg

9aUV5Aml.jpg

QOoyiZcl.jpg

It's quite packed, and with locals I think.

y8KOek5l.jpg

I ate at the crab place. If you 1 person, I'm pretty sure you can walk in and ask if there is any space. Booking is full but walk-in might not.

it is actually quite value for money. I ate a set that was only around 6k yen. about 70sgd(?) for solid crab meal. the crab was very fresh and flavourful.

kosongice

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Reached Tanukikoji. Didn't take much pictures here the previous time because I was live-streaming.

Basically it's a massive shopping arcade with a shyt ton of tax-free drugstores, souvenir shops and restaurants. Super popular with tourists and especially tour groups. Locals visit, but they don't go so ga-ga.

gBm3qQhl.jpg

QIBkh3cl.jpg

Sign says "High Class Fresh Fruits" but the store lady not very high class ah. Took a picture from a distance away and she immediately pointed at me and told me to stop.

qqgqSRNl.jpg

kosongice

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
After some shopping at Donki, I decided to head to Susukino, the night life and red light district of Sapporo.

zE56RsIl.jpg

gPPvCipl.jpg

After deliberating for a while, I decided to forgo the gyoza, scallops and oysters (Gotsubo) and instead head for the Ramen Alley. Part of the reason I've held this off for so long was because of how overrated I knew it would be.

There's several shops inside the alley, but come here liao might as well just enter the famous one that Anthony Bourdain visited. It was empty when I went in, but eventually more people visited midway through my meal.

The chef didn't allow pictures of him preparing the ramen, or anything behind the counter for the matter.

ruzy2QNl.jpg

gK5Q2Bel.jpg

cJISauml.jpg

Sapporo butter corn ramen. I picked miso soup base, "osusume" from the chef.

JsnivMzl.jpg

Also added an egg. Quite flavorful but ain't molten.

YYIKswcl.jpg

My verdict? It was a rather solid bowl of ramen, but not unlike most you can get in any regular shop I suppose. Would not deliberately travel all the way there just for it. It makes a really heart and soul warming meal on a cold winter night. The addition of butter gives the soup a nice sheen and richness.

Made my way back to the hotel to pack my stuff. Snow was still falling heavily.

pbzyquUl.jpg

Last edited:

kosongice

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
The excellent hotel staff at MYSTAYS Sapporo Station. Missing the tall guy that assisted me so much with directions and recommendations.

OQRkd1Kl.jpg

Stuff I bought. This is considered tame compared to our maiden trip in 2016. But for a guy on a relatively tight budget, these ate up quite a significant portion of my money.

LKjY9z3l.jpg

Packed halfway got craving for sweet and carbonated drink. I've been having coffee, tea and fruit juice mainly. So I went to Lawson's opposite the road wanting to get a Coke. Bought this instead because it caught my eye and I didn't bring enough for both a Coke and this. Super refreshing.

VnEWiUml.jpg

kosongice

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Woke up this morning to perfect weather. Neither snow nor rain. KNS my last day then like that.

Flight's at 1310, and I have to be there 2 hours prior. It takes about 40 minutes to get to the airport from Sapporo Station, and I'll have to leave super early if I were to make the timing.

Decided to screw the 2-hour rule and take the 1050 train. All the main shopping malls open at around 10, and I'll have about 40 minutes to browse for one last time.

dtoztojl.jpg

0X9MnJyl.jpg

Was up super early this morning, at around 6. Had the front desk give me a morning call at 7 for good measure.

Breakfast at MOS Burger because it's really good and super near the hotel. Also, it opens at 7, when most other shops start at 8-10.

e64Echql.jpg

iNvn4T8l.jpg

FnlT3Mjl.jpg

9UuyrZcl.jpg

Gave a thank you note to the impeccable front desk.

xiPit0cl.jpg

One last look at the place I call home for the past 6 nights.

QLQJO8vl.jpg

FireEmblem

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Reached Tanukikoji. Didn't take much pictures here the previous time because I was live-streaming.

Basically it's a massive shopping arcade with a shyt ton of tax-free drugstores, souvenir shops and restaurants. Super popular with tourists and especially tour groups. Locals visit, but they don't go so ga-ga.

gBm3qQhl.jpg

QIBkh3cl.jpg

Sign says "High Class Fresh Fruits" but the store lady not very high class ah. Took a picture from a distance away and she immediately pointed at me and told me to stop.

qqgqSRNl.jpg

Just warn u first, japan got very strict anti female harrassment law. This includes taking.photo.in public. If.any female does not.think.well of u.taking.their.photo, they can easily call the cops to get u arrested. Have such cases in their news before where guys arrested just based on the female call to police. If is female ask u not to take as.she might be interpretting u taking her photo.instead of.the shop better dun continue.

fritolay

Reaction score
********. Too many stalking cases but nothing done even until death of victim

Just warn u first, japan got very strict anti woman harrassment law. This includes taking.photo.in public. If.any female does not.think.well of u.taking.their.photo, they can easily call the cops to get u arrested. Have such cases in their news before where guys arrested just based on the female call to police

Sen

Honorary Member
Reaction score
Think I saw someone post same thing here also. ahss I think.

qqgqSRNl.jpg

Sen

Honorary Member
Reaction score
Thank you KSI in advance !
Stuff I bought. This is considered tame compared to our maiden trip in 2016. But for a guy on a relatively tight budget, these ate up quite a significant portion of my money.

LKjY9z3l.jpg

Sen

Honorary Member
Reaction score
Japan many many BTSS ...

Just warn u first, japan got very strict anti female harrassment law. This includes taking.photo.in public. If.any female does not.think.well of u.taking.their.photo, they can easily call the cops to get u arrested. Have such cases in their news before where guys arrested just based on the female call to police. If is female ask u not to take as.she might be interpretting u taking her photo.instead of.the shop better dun continue.

kosongice

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
After breakfast it's off to send a postcard!

swMy0oXl.jpg

A bakery near the back exit of my hotel. Didn't have time to properly check it out.

AzeZOkul.jpg

HwDmpKFl.jpg

Waiting for the post office to open.

xBTw0wil.jpg

Dtmssf2l.jpg

Wanted to buy the fruits flavour, but ultimately ran out of money.

8hgyN1Nl.jpg

MCyI7TDl.jpg

kosongice

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Had enough money for one last drink. It's either Starbucks (which I haven't and wanted to try) or Karin. Went back for my 初恋.

KTnyj0Ol.jpg

KG8HFFrl.jpg

I then made my way to the airport. New Chitose Airport is in itself a shopping and food haven, but I had only ¥300 left to my name and could literally not afford to be distracted.

Some jokers exceeding their luggage weight and holding up the line.

0jWV5g4l.jpg

Cdh21EFl.jpg

Reached Tokyo Narita Airport and found the perfect answer to my hunger (haven't eat since MOS Burger at about 720), thirst and ¥300.

P5WsZ8Al.jpg

¥140 each. Might as well exhaust whatever I have and got 2.

UqW2pkWl.jpg

zEmQFDql.jpg

Last edited:

kosongice

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Bought some daifuku in the morning at Daimaru. Wanted to buy fron the shop with the super juicy strawberry, but the shop only sells them on weekends.

XTlSoEyl.jpg

wrVAfzEl.jpg

Rice crackers served shortly after boarding.

iQtInA1l.jpg

Xke5D72l.jpg

Dinner served on board. Had a choice between fried chicken or this tomato seafood stew. "Osusume" from the cabin attendant is the latter. Last time using "osusume" liao. ):

Ceg20Hwl.jpg

2Pd8D2cl.jpg

9WCDFMNl.jpg

Last time I was on an ANA flight, they served a really delicious bun. It seems to be replaced by this. Some apple custard pastry which I initially thought was a ham and cheese Danish.

oY5bI8ll.jpg

kosongice

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
1. fat*******x
2. wheewhee
3. [SG]Revolution
4. Ilovegreenbeansoup
5. reds79
6. Lemon Porter
7. apeape
8. Beh-hawk
9. Wishdom
10. Delsamor
11. ash like snow

And the winners are:

FpIIIDQl.png

UTI35mYl.png

Disclaimer: Goodie bag is small, and contents aren't in abundance. Don't expect too much ah, then later KPKB start thread bash me ah. ):

Winners kindly comment here or PM me on how you wish to collect your goodie bag.

ZH1t9Kil.jpg

1. fat*******x
2. wheewhee
3. [SG]Revolution
4. Ilovegreenbeansoup
5. reds79

-----

UPDATE 15 January 2018:

I'm doing a mini-giveaway. Nothing fanciful, don't expect an entire box of cookies or chocolates, but it's definitely bigger than a one-item thing. Also, I won't be giving out standard fare like Shiroi-Koibito (白色恋人) or the overrated Tokyo Banana (I'm in Hokkaido hello).

As per my previous giveaway (which Sen won and is hence disqualified), you have to agree with the following:

1. Item (food) is perishable due to ingredients used. I won't be giving out something that spoils the next day, but don't expect canned food longevity.

2. No dietary restrictions.

3. Willing to do one of the following:

(i) meet-up for me to pass the goodie bag to you
(ii) provide me a location and recipient to drop off the item

Kindly note that I will NOT be sending anything out by mail (siao ah free one still wanna waste my postage fees).

2 winners, to be assigned a number based on order of reply; and randomly selected.

As the items are small and perishable, there will be no re-draws should a person fail to collect the item or reply within 2 days after the results are out. They will then go to my neighbour or stomach.

To qualify, reply anything with #KosongIceHokkaidoGiveaway

I will search this thread for the tag and only include those that have it in their replies.

Contest ends 16 January 2018, at 2359, Singapore Time. My clock, not yours.

Last edited:

souldude

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Thanks for sharing your trip with us.
Almost real time update somehow makes for a better read than post trip reports. Bravo for the effort.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.