HardwareZone.com on Facebook

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 19-06-2017, 02:15 AM   #916
Master Member

From https://intensivedietarymanagement.c...on-fasting-24/
Fasting and Brain Function – Fasting 24

Comments - FASTING & Kidney, Cancer, etc:

Steve March 3, 2016 | Reply
Greetings again Dr. Fung……another great article. At some point would you post your thoughts on fasting and kidney health. You mention other organs via your insert above. As a kidney Doctor I’m 100% sure you will advise that fasting is good for kidneys and CKD. Robb Wolf also posted a well-written article about Paleo and kidneys a couple years ago.
The reason I ask is that some articles on fasting warn against doing if someone has diminished kidney function.In my last fasting/ LCHF period my kidney function improved from 40% to over 80%. That said I’d aprreciate your good thoughts. I can’t find much info via “Dr. Google” other than Robb Wolfs good article ( and also a very good Jimmy Moore podcast on the subject).

Thanks again for the ongoing and highly informative info. All the best!

John Caruso March 3, 2016 | Reply
Yes, I am also very interested in Dr Fung’s view on people with impaired kidney function using both LCHF/Keto diets and fasting, especially extended fasting (10d+). I also encountered and ultimately ignored the warnings about LC diets stressing kidney due to “high protein.”

After a kidney transplant (due to IgA nephropathy), I maintain a low carb diet, going full keto at times, and since July last year began occasional fasting. My kidney function increased from 40% post transplant, to over 60% after a couple years of low carb, to over 70% after a keto stint, to my highest of 78% recorded 4 days after a 3-day fast.

During this time, I have also lost weight, however I have data which (to me at least) indicate it’s not solely weight loss as my weight post transplant was ~240lbs and GFR was 41, subsequent GFRs at later dates but around same weight are: 52 (16mo later), 59 (1 yr after that), 68 (3 yrs after that, 6+ yrs post transplant).

To me, LCHF and fasting appear to be increasing kidney function over time regardless of weight loss.

Samuel March 3, 2016 | Reply
I have been low carb – real food for about four years now. I was never over weight, and my motivation may be different from a lot of readers here. I went ketogenic (less than 50g carb per day) and confirmed it with blood serum ketone measurements for about 9 months. I went back to eating 40-80g per day just because it takes less meticulous accounting.

I became interested in fasting after becoming aware of the two competing theories of cancer and reading about Thomas Seyfried’s work on the metabolic theory of cancer. I recently fasted for 72 hours and attempted to track the changes in blood glucose and blood serum ketone level. After 24 hours the ketones rose to about 3 mmolar and glucose fell to the 60’s mg/dl. At 36 hours the ketones rose to 5.1 mmolar and glucose dipped into the 50’s. At 48 hours ketones spiked to over 6 and glucose was in the 40’s – low 50’s. I felt a bit light headed for several hours, but it went away. At 72 hours the ketones fell to 4.9 mmolar and the glucose was back in the 60’s. I felt great, no appetite at all.

The point of this for all those interested in this from the standpoint of cancer, among other health benefits, is that 72 hours is all it takes to get to some kind of steady state where you feel good, and there are no appetite problems. It is also interesting to note that if you consider blood glucose in the same units as ketones you have affected a huge change in blood serum chemistry. 60 mg/dl translates to 3.33 mmolar concentration for glucose which can be compared to the 4.9 mmolar for ketones that I measured. This is a very advantageous state for cancer treatment – see Seyfried (http://www.bc.edu/schools/cas/biolog.../seyfried.html)

John C March 3, 2016 | Reply
I certainly feel more alert after a fast – even one as short as 24 hours. In fact I rarely fast longer than 24 hours because I don’t feel safe driving with blood glucose levels below 4 mmol/l (72 mg/dl). I have recently concentrated on lowering my carb and protein to less than 50g each per day because of my poor kidney function and have found it easy to keep fasting for 24 hours two or three times a week. I believe that everybody has their own combination of ailments and dietary requirements and it’s important to note what effects changes have and to have a doctor monitor progress.

Amberly March 3, 2016 | Reply
I did my first extended fast last October and felt fabulous! More energy, clarity, etc. than I had had in ten years. I did keto the next week and then went away for a weekend with friends. I figured this was a “feasting” type of event, so had a fast food meal, and a half hour later, had a tonic clonic (grand mal) seizure. They took me to the ER.

I have had two other tonic clonic seizures, both precipitated by stress, lack of sleep, and lack of food. (First was in college during finals after staying up all night 26 years ago. The second was during labor 10 years ago (natural childbirth, no pain medication, 18 hours of overnight, hard labor). This time, I had plenty of sleep, plenty of food, and the only stress in my life was the fasting that I had done the week before (which I had not seen as a stress). Everyone said it was because of the fast, but I disagreed. How could fasting and keto have caused it when they are the therapies that were used before drugs, and still used when people have epilepsy that can’t be controlled by medication?

I had my first visit with the neurologist yesterday. It takes forever to get into one in my small town so I gave up and went to an Epileptologist a couple of hours away in one of the top 10 programs in the country. He supports keto as a therapy, but says that he finds that often it is too hard for his patients to stick to, and prefers modified Atkins. Either are ineffective if the patient doesn’t stick with them (obviously). Even so, he said that extended fasting is a stress on the brain, so while it might be protective while you are doing it, if you come off, you have the stress without the protection. Fasting, but no feasting (at least not on wedding cake, etc.) He said that intermittent fasting is ok, and maybe even a 2 or 3 day fast, but no extended fasting like 7 days.

My questions for Dr. Fung are: does a 3 day fast and/or ADF have the same efficacy in insulin reduction as a 7 day fast? Does ADF/IF have the same efficacy as a 3 day fast? I’m trying to figure out the best protocol going forward.

Also, I think that my cortisol does go up during fasting because I find it hard to sleep. I wake up really early (after 5-6 hours of sleep), jittery. and wired (and used to think it was great, but now it’s getting tedious). Is there anything to do to reduce cortisol while fasting? Does IF and/or keto increase cortisol? Increase it as much as an extended fast? (I have seen at least one study that ties high cortisol to increased seizure activity.)

BobM March 3, 2016 | Reply
Amberly, I believe that 7 day fasts are “faster” (in terms of insulin reduction, clearing fat from your pancreas and/or liver, etc.) than are short fasts. However, I find longer fasts to be more difficult, so I do these only every once in a while. For instance, this week, I’m doing a 5 day fast. This is my third 5-day fast since starting IF last March. For next week and a few weeks thereafter, I will do a fast from Sunday dinner to Tuesday dinner, then fast Friday until dinner. Note that I don’t eat breakfast anymore, so even on (most) days I eat, I eat in (about) an 8 hour window. A few weeks from now, I might try a different protocol.

I find that shorter fasts have fewer “bad” effects (like not sleeping, sometimes getting cold, etc.) on me. I also try to mix things up, and will eat breakfast at times(at least every week on Sunday after church). I also listen to my body. I was going to fast last week, but I got a chest cold. Even though I normally do not eat breakfast and don’t eat until noon or later, I felt hungry one day while I had the cold and had breakfast. That day, I swear I ate 5-6 meals! I could not stop eating. (Still ate low carb, high fat.) But that’s what my body seemed to want.

I personally haven’t had any occurrences of “stress on the brain” (or anywhere else for that matter) while on longer fasts. The only thing that happens to me is that, when I start eating after a longer fast, all the water I drank comes out of me for about 8 hours or so. I haven’t figured out how to fix this, but it occurs a lot less with shorter fasts. My wife also fasts with me and does not have the same problem, at least to the extent I do.

Sarah March 8, 2016 | Reply
Hi Deb, I drink 1-2 cups of black coffee without sugar, plenty of water – 3litres or more (more than the non fasting days), a tbsp of apple cider vinegar in a cup of warm water with salt if I feel gassy in the morning and sometimes 1 cup of coffee with milk without sugar if I feel a headache starting. If the headache persists even after the coffee, I break the fast.

Dr Fung says its fine to drink bone broth on fasting days and many people do that. For me that didn’t work as I start feeling extreme hunger after drinking bone broth or any kind of thin soup. Even green tea makes me very hungry.. .But it does work for many people to sip on green tea/bone-broth while fasting. Coffee however, numbs my hunger pangs.

What is the duration of your fast? I do 24 hr fasts 2-3 days every week and sometimes a 3 day fast once in a couple of months. Listen to your body and see what level of fasting is comfortable for you. You can change your fasting routine whenever you feel like as well.

Danielle March 15, 2016 | Reply
Fizzy water with a slice of lime and sprinklings of sea salt. I know Dr Mosley does 6:1 (fasting 1 day) as weight maintenance. I believe you will get better results if you fast for a little longer.

https://robbwolf.com/2011/05/19/clea...-introduction/
Robb Wolf, author of The Paleo Solution, is a former research biochemist and one of the world’s leading experts in Paleolithic nutrition. Wolf has transformed the lives of tens of thousands of people around the world via his top ranked iTunes podcast and wildly popular seminar series.

Clearing up Kidney Confusion: Introduction
by ROBB WOLF

From Kon-Tiki to Kidneys: Let the Evidence Speak

I’ve been talking about and studying this paleo nutrition/evolutionary medicine idea since late 1998 when I first ran across the topic. It’s impossible to describe how much the landscape has changed and how much more we know…Holy CATS…13 years later! If you’ve read my book or just caught the right podcast you will recall that I was tinkering with my food in the mid-late 90’s by eating a whole food, vegan diet. I studied at the George Oshawa macrobiotic institute, took classes on Ayurveda and Five Element theory and consulted with several of the luminaries in the vegetarian/vegan scene. The reasons for this tinkering included a sense this way of eating would improve my health, extend my life…and it was a great conversation starter when trolling for unwashed hippy girls, which I have an odd predilection for. Add to that a sense of moral superiority at not eating animals, and a sense that this was an ecologically benign way of eating and it’s easy to understand why I gave it a shot. What’s tough to understand is why I stuck with this way of eating when every parameter of my performance and health tanked. I went from a lean, muscular 180 lbs, squatting over 500lbs and being able to dunk a basket ball from a flat-footed start, to an emaciated 140lbs that could not bench press my body-weight. I had high blood pressure, triglycerides in the 300’s and systemic fatigue that seemed to start in my belly and emanate outwards. I was a mess. I’d sold off my common sense and ability to rationally judge the effects of my eating choices with regards to how I Looked, Felt and Performed. I was wedded to an idea, not to results. Looking back now I understand I was deficient in a host of nutrients due to the severe inflammation in my GI tract. Despite the fact I looked “slender” (substitute gaunt and emaciated if you like) I also had all the signs and symptoms of insulin resistant diabetes brewing. I now understand I was in that purgatory of nearly full systemic melt-down: Autoimmune dysfunction, insulin resistance, nutrient malabsortion…and I lived in a place that has not seen the sun since the pyramids were erected, Seattle, Washington. I changed my eating in a desperate attempt to save myself. I literally had no other options…if this paleo shtick had not worked I’d not be here right now, either by biology’s hand or my own. Things were that bad.

I think this paleo/evolutionary medicine approach to things is pretty close to the bulls-eye with regards how we can optimize our health and wellness…but I insist that we not turn this whole thing into a religion. The transformation that can be wrought with this approach is powerful, anger can be felt at the “powers that be” for recommending what appears to be complete jack-assery…but we can do better than opine on this stuff, we can quantify and tinker and continue to refine what are our collective best practices. Many people have parroted tripe about “open source” with regards to fitness, but it takes something beside paranoia and egotism to change ones position for the better. I credit first and foremost my friend Mat “The Kraken” Lalonde with helping me to update my understanding of these topics and to refine my delivery of the “why’s” behind the recommendations I make. Chris Kresser, John Welbourn and many other folks have also helped but I think I’ve learned the most simply as an outgrowth of the interaction I’ve had with all the readers, podcast listeners and seminar attendees. The why to that is that folks take the basic message that is being broadcast, tinker with it, report outcomes and we move forward. Crowd Sourcing and decentralized markets at their best!

Given the title of the post you may be wondering when the heck I’ll get around to talking about kidneys! I’ll get there, but I have more to say that is decidedly non-kidney related. Last night I started reading the book Kon-Tiki by Thor Hyerdahl. I re-read the introduction by Thor 3 times and am by no means deep into the book but the basic idea is this: Thor posited that the Polynesian islands were settled not in an west–>east expansion as had been previously thought (the book was published in the late 1940’s) but rather that pre-Columbian Incas from the approximate areas of Peru traveled westward on rafts and they and their descendants settled Polynesia and the Pacific islands. What struck me was the recounting on Heyerdahls’ part that once their expedition proved that this trans-Pacific crossing was POSSIBLE, the skeptics who defended an alternate position were little interested in facts, they focused instead on personal attacks and behavior that bordered on slander. In one section Heyerdahl related that most archeologists of the time did not believe the Galapagos Islands had ever had human contact or settlement until after Europeans made landfall in the 1500’s. Based on his success navigating over 43,000 nautical miles Thor felt the paltry distance from Peru to the Galapagos could not have been a barrier to the early Incan
seafarers. He also pointed out a hole in the notion that humans had never been to the Galapagos: Not once had there been an expedition of trained archeologists to assess if there was any EVIDENCE of early human habitation. Thor organized such and expedition and in quick order found several camp sites with pottery and artifacts consistent with what one would expect from the early Incan civilizations.

This reminds me of the daily refrain from the medical establishment, nutritional science departments and the media who make grand proclamations about what humans did or did not eat in the ancestral life-way, what this might mean for modern human health…and these folks have never bothered to look at or read the literature on the topic. It’s an interesting parallel: In the Galapagos island case the idea was: Europeans were the first to make it there. Even though no one had bothered to actually LOOK, nor use people trained in discovering evidence of early human habitation (archeologists) to validate this claim one way or the other. The refrain from medicine and dietetics is that our heritage as hunter gatherers has no bearing on modern human health, despite the fact that the evolutionary biologists, geneticists and anthropologists beg to differ on the topic. Also interesting to keep in mind is the modern view of the habitation of the Pacific Islands might involve the convoluted story of early seafarers making it west to east across the Pacific, only to subsequently turn around and re-populate those islands. Geneticists are telling us more about this story than pottery shards ever will, but it’s interesting; where once the notion of early seafarers making it across the Pacific AT ALL has now been replaced with perhaps multiple waves of colonization, back and forth across the Pacific. Thor’s original idea may only be partially correct but his early investigations pushed the understanding of this topic forward and we’ve just had to wait for better technology to better understand this topic.

Similar to the migratory waves we now envision as populating the Pacific islands and America’s, so too do we see waves of people entertain this paleo idea of nutrition…with inevitable questions. What about cholesterol? Will paleo help gastrointestinal problems such as Crohn’s and irritable bowel syndrome? Will an ancestral way of eating improve fertility or perhaps halt the progression of various neurodegenerative diseases like Parkinson’s, Alzheimer’s and Huntington’s disease? Won’t a high protein, paleo type diet cause kidney disease? These are great questions and we should have similarly great answers. The kidney issue has received a ton of airplay of late, both in terms of folks asking questions and in new studies showing that a smartly constructed paleo type diet may be the absolute best way one could eat to either reverse existent renal issues, or to avoid these problems in the first place. We should be able to look at the how the kidneys normally function, investigate renal pathophysiology (autoimmunity, advanced glycation end-products, infections and other vectors of disease) then we should be able to retro-engineer the cause of these issues given a solid understanding of these processes and a wee-bit of evolutionary biology. We should then be able to show clinical examples of successful interventions which reverse or ameliorate these diseases. I’d like to call this the “definitive guide to kidney health” but my previous mistake with veganism has made me reticent to call anything definitive. It should however be helpful for folks to understand this topic and feel more comfortable using a paleo approach. So, this will be the (very lengthy) introduction to a multi-part series which will start with how the kidneys work, what things can go wrong with them and how a paleo diet can actually help reverse many of these problems. Unlike my foray into veganism however, we will not believe things because it “seems” right, we will hang our hat’s on positive health outcomes. No matter how much we may “want” a theory to be true, we lose what is best in us when we cease to think and adopt dogma instead of facing the need to change our deeply entrenched positions. Stay tuned for installments in the weeks to come. I’m not sure how many sections it will be, you will know when it’s done ;0)

And for your viewing pleasure, here is the original Thor Heyerdahl film, Kon-Tiki, which won an Oscar for best documentary in 1951.

https://robbwolf.com/2011/06/16/clea...ion-part-deux/

by ROBB WOLF
Clearing up Kidney Confusion: Part Deux

It’s funny how our mental state really affects how we write and what we are interested in. When I wrote the introduction to this piece I was just getting settled into our new place in Santa Fe, NM and was looking at over a month at home to work and write. Then a number of wacky events happened and I’ve been home about 7 days out of the last month and I’ve only made it about 70 pages into Kon-Tiki.

Ouch.

Now I’m home for 8 days and will then be gone for a project that will take me completely off the grid for nearly 3 weeks. No phone, email…nada. When I sat down to do this kidney piece it was with a mindset that I had a ton of time and could really sink my teeth into it. Now I’m time crunched and anxious that I will get it done at all! Up front here I’d like to thank Mat “The Kraken” Lalonde with his help on some literature for this piece. Any inaccuracies however are my own tomfoolery.

If I wanted to cut to the chase I could boil this whole thing down to the following:

1-Dietary protein DOES NOT CAUSE KIDNEY DAMAGE.

2-Chronically elevated BLOOD GLUCOSE levels DO cause kidney damage.

3-Dietary fructose REALLY causes kidney damage.

4-Many kidney issues have either a hyperinsulinemic characteristic, an autoimmune characteristic, and or a combination of autoimmunity or hyperinsulinism. A standard, low-ish carb paleo diet can fix most of these issues.

5-For serious kidney damage a low-protein, ketogenic diet can be remarkably therapeutic.

6-If you get kidney stonesthat are from oxalates, reduce your green veggie intake (spinach for example) and have other types of veggies.

7-If you get kidney stones that are from urate salts, you are likely NOT following a low-ish carb paleo diet, you likely have insulin resistance and your liver is not processing uric acid.

As much as I’d like to leave it at that I’d be asking folks to operate on faith, not facts, so we need to do a little more digging. First we’ll look at normal kidney function, some common renal pathologies, how one might go about fixing those pathologies, then a clinical note or two.

Renal Function

The kidneys control a remarkable number of biological parameters, at least in those critters with kidneys! This includes blood pressure, filtering and removal of various metabolic waste products, blood volume, red blood cell count, electrolytes, acid base balance…Guyton’s Textbook of Medical Physiology has nearly 200 pages devoted to renal function, and that is a bare-bones overview with little time spent on pathophysiology. The lions share of kidney function involves filtration of the blood via a counter current exchange process that biology makes use of not only in kidneys, but also in the distal portion of limbs. In the case of kidneys, the counter current process retains or excretes various dissolved items as needed. In the case of limbs it’s an efficient method of minimizing heat loss (this is a common feature of the feet of birds who spend time with their feet in cold water).

Renal function is generally measured by glomerular filtration rate (GFR), but other indices are helpful including blood urea nitrogen (BUN) and the presence or absence of the protein albumin in the urine. GFR, when properly interpreted or implemented, should tell us how much actual filtration is occurring in the kidneys. If we know the concentration of an item like creatinine (a by-product of creatine breakdown) in the plasma and in the urine, then we have a good idea of GFR. The problem with creatinine is folks with larger muscle mass, or who train hard can have seemingly elevated creatinine levels, which can make GFR appear to be low. This is why it’s smart to also consider BUN and albumin. If BUN is going up we know the kidneys are NOT doing an adequate job. We are after all, accumulating nitrogenous waste products in the BLOOD (blood urea nitrogen). Conversely, if we see elevated albumin in the URINE we know we likely have kidney damage…proteins that otherwise stay in the blood are getting pushed into the glomerular filtrate (urine). In situations such as blood sugar highs in diabetics we can see glucose in the urine as a coping mechanism to bring blood glucose levels down, but that situation is bad, bad business.

Here is a brief recap of that:

1-Increased Creatinine: May not mean much, NOT a bullet proof demonstration of GFR.

2-Increased BUN:Bad news. GFR may actually be low, we are accumulating toxic nitrogen breakdown products like a boat taking on water.

3-Increased urine albumin: No Bueno. The kidneys are damaged, protein that should stay in the vascular system is leaking into the urine.

4-Glucose in the urine: Five Alarm No Bueno. As we will see, diabetes and the peri-diabetic state is hell on the kidneys.

Basic Pathophysiology

Before we get all pathological, let’s first consider the basic units of the filtration system in the kidney:

In the first photo we have the Glomerlus which is neighbored by the the Bowman’s Capsule. The glomerulus itself is comprised by the afferent blood supply (in) efferent blood supply (out) filtration surface (kinda like a coffee filter) and the beginning of the proximal tubule (the coffee pot). This is the first stage of filtration in which large amounts of the fluid portion of the blood are literally pushed through the glomerlus and accumulate in the proximal tubule. In the second photo we see not just the Bowman’s capsule and glomerlus, but the whole functional unit of the kidney, including the distal tubule, loops of Henle etc. If you notice this structure is wrapped in a vascular web and it is at this interface that we can create either a dilute or concentrated urine depending on if our hormonal system is actively transporting things like sodium into the filtrate, or reabsorbing sodium (or other solutes such are urea) back into circulation.

As we will see, kidney function can head south from a variety of causes, but we will also see how our modern diet and lifestyle can compound pathogenic factors that bode poorly if you are interested in dead sexy kidney function (DSKF).

Physical damage

I’m not going to look at impact injury or trauma per se, but just keep in mind much of what I’ll describe below applies to trauma for the simple fact it damages the structural elements of the nephron. When I was Thai boxing many years ago I took several very nasty knees to the low back…and had blood in the urine for several days as a consequence. Some motocross riders experience the same things simply from the jarring of landing jumps. Many of our modern activities are damn fun, but not the healthiest of things to do!

When we consider how delicate the nephron is it should not be surprising that damage to various elements can cause problems. The main modes of action we’ll consider are advanced glycation end products (AGE’s), inflammation, abnormal growth, autoimmunity and hormonal alterations affecting kidney function.

AGE’s

You’d need to be living on a desert island to not know about AGE’s and their potential to negatively affect health. As the name implies, glycation is a process whereby a sugar binds to a protein or lipid. Now, this can happen enzymatically in the case of glycoproteins and glycolipids (a nifty way to modify the structure of these molecules and subsequently their functionality…this is also a major feature of immune recognition) or non-enzymatically, which is what we will look at. Free glucose, can, will and does stick to various proteins and lipids in our bodies via this non-enzymatic process. This is not a good scenario, as it does change the FUNCTIONALITY of these affected structures. Fortunately, we have enzymes that work to undo these unscheduled glycation events, and things work pretty well if we keep food and lifestyle within certain tolerances. In the case of metabolic derangement we have chronically elevated blood glucose levels which drive AGE formation in a concentration dependant fashion: more glucose means more AGE’s, and this can reach a level that overwhelms the enzymes which work to undo the AGE’s. Then we have fructose. Fructose has several unfortunate characteristics:

1-It tends to be processed mainly by the liver, so it’s tough to get it out of circulation.

2-Fructose tends to alter liver function, contributing to insulin resistance.

3-Fructose is structurally more reactive than glucose. At any given concentration, we can expect fructose to produce more AGE’s relative to glucose.

4-Fructose tends to be pro-inflammatory via actions on both the liver, and alterations in gut bacteria.

AGE’s are problematic for kidney function as they damage delicate structures such as the glomerlus, which can limit normal GFR. Damage to the distal portions of the nephron can alter reabsorption. The net result is that our ability to filter out toxic substances such as urea and or regulate normal fluid and electrolyte balance are dramatically altered.

Inflammation

As y’all know, inflammation is a normal process caused by elements of our immune system. Normally this protects us from bacteria, viruses, parasites and cancer, but abnormal amounts of inflammation can get us in hot water (urine?). This is an interesting paper which demonstrates fructose is problematic for kidney function and one of the modes of action is actually an increase in inflammation via increased monocyte chemoattractant protein-1 (MCP-1). Monocytes are part of the innate immune response which we now understand is at ground zero in metabolic derangement and overall systemic inflammation. Once one element of the immune system is on alert, things tend to spiral out of control. In this specific situation, monocytes attack elements of the nephron, causing damage and decreasing renal function. Which leads us to…

Autoimmunity

Autoimmunity is when the adaptive immune system (the wiley part of the immune system responsible for producing antibodies…essentially a remarkable type of information processing and “memory”) begins to attack the host. Well known forms of autoimmunity include rheumatoid arthritis, multiple sclerosis and lupus. Less well known autoimmune diseases that affect the kidneys include autoimmune glomerular nephritis, which is actually a form of systemic Lupus. If you have attended either my seminar or Mat “The Krakn” Lalonde’s seminar, you will know that autoimmunity appears to have features of intestinal permeability with specific autoimmunity being driven in large part by genetic factors. Not surprisingly, a little investigation into search terms such as “glomerular nephritis + gluten” or “glomerular nephritis + trans glutaminase” produces some VERY interesting returns. If you need a reminder about the role of transglutaminase in autoimmune disease, please read this review on celiac disease a model for autoimmunity.

Hormonal factors

Hyperinsulinsim

Chronically elevated insulin levels appear to have a number of causes (excess fructose, linoleic acid (n-6), sedentism, inflammation, sleep disturbances…) and a shocking number of consequences. Most common are Type 2 diabetes and obesity, but linkage to hyperinsulinim includes various types of cancer, mental decline, acne and renal problems for a short list
. In the hyperinsulinemic state we have several problems we have already visited (AGE’s & inflammation) but have another interesting wrinkle: elevated growth factors. During the hyperinsulinemic state liver metabolism is, well, broken. We see a decrease in the production of sex hormone binding protein (SHBP) which can be a growth promoter, but we also see an increase in various growth factors including epithelial growth factor (EGF) which can be problematic for a number of skin conditions, and vascular endothelial growth factor (VEGF), which, (you guessed it) can damage kidney function. The structures of the nephron are literally only a few cells thick at best. If these structures become damaged due to inflammation, or thickened due to abnormal growth…the system will fail. This study shows how powerful the removal of excess VEGF can be in a diabetic mouse model. The long and short is that even with the other complications associated with diabetes (AGE’s and increased inflammation) the removal of VEGF dramatically improved kidney function.

Aldosterone

Aldosterone is a critical hormone in regulating electrolyte balance, total blood volume and blood pressure. The action of aldosterone is to cause sodium retention and potassium excretion, with he net effect being an increased blood volume. Hyperinsulinism causes increased blood volume as aldosterone production is increased in lock-step with insulin production.

Cortisol

Cortisol has similar effects to aldosterone (sodium retention) but is much less potent in this regard.

Hormonal Effects of sleep

This could be a long post unto itself, but I’d like to look at the action of sleep deprivation on aldosterone. Interestingly, sleep deprivation blocks the nighttime pulsitile release of aldosterone with an interesting effect…of increasing nighttime urine production. Elevated cortisol & hyperinsulinism both alter normal sleep cycles, and have as clinical manifestations, increased nighttime urine production. Which further disturbs sleep, buggaring insulin sensitivity and increasing cortisol levels. You could look at it like this: Hyperinsulinism causes us to retain sodium and water, but also tends to disturb sleep. this alters normal nighttime aldosterone production…causing the frequent trips to the privy at night.

Hey Robb! What about protein and kidneys?

Hmm…how to tackle this tactfully. In healthy kidneys protein intake has NO EFFECT on kidney health. In sick kidneys, protein can cause problems. Why? Because when the kidneys are not excreting urea bad things happen. Urea itself is not particularly toxic, but other nitrogenous waste products are neurotoxic and can cause death at high enough levels. The bottom line is that in healthy individuals, increased protein intake causes an increase in the kidneys ability to deal with creatinine and BUN. In individuals with kidney disease they will likely benefit from a decrease in protein intake…but they need to address one of the aforementioned factors if they want to REGAIN kidney function, which we will talk about soon.

Putting it all together

Ange1 or Charlie should find the below very relevant !!!!

Nothing helps cement the learning process better than a practical example. Let’s look at someone who has all the cards stacked against them, then figure out how to pull their heinie from the flames. Here folks is Pete “Proteinuria” Paducka.

Pete is a 30 YO male, 175cm tall, 110kg (I can’t tell you hw depressing and embarrassing it is that the US can’t figure out the metric system) and pretty much a mess. He is sedentary, stressed, has terrible sleep and exists on packaged pastry products and beverages with “DEW, Pepper” and similar monikers. Recently Pete had to get a physical and he had: high blood pressure, elevated: blood glucose, BUN, creatinine. Given that his condition was obviously not good it was recommended that his renal function get checked out. Tests indicated Pete was operating on approximately 10% of normal kidney function. Pete was pretty shaken up by his condition…pri-diabetic, facing dialysis (his doctor wanted to start dialysis IMMEDIATELY) and all at the ripe old age of 30. Fortunately for Pete, his employer was a member at a wacky little gym called NorCal Strength & Conditioning and the employers offered to not only pick up his gym membership for a few months, but would pay Pete on an incentive basis: $5 for every pound lost. This is a small IT company, and I’m sure this situation violated multiple California state “fair employment” laws…but it’s what happened here. Pete went through an initial assessment at NorCal, and it was recommended that he work with Amy Kubal on his nutrition. The course of action involved a low protein (10-15% protein) low carb ( less than 10%) high fat (mainly from coconut products), ketogenic diet. Pete’s doctor was horrified, but we petitioned for one month of “tinkering” to see how things went. Three weeks later Pete’s GFR was 80% of normal instead of the previous 10% and his BUN was within normal ranges. His doctor was interested…but baffled. Pete has subsequently titrated up his protein intake with no ill effects on kidney function.

The Tea Leaves

When you look at the etiology of most kidney diseases the approach we took with Pete addressed every damn variable all at once: autoimmunity, elevated insulin and growth factors, AGE’s…did I miss anything? Interestingly, about a week after Pete got his 80% test results back this article appeared, extolling the virtues of a ketogenic diet for renal failure. As I’m writing this I actually get ANGRY when I realize how much death and suffering occurs because insulin resistant diabetes (and all of it’s complications, like renal failure) is “managed” instead of “cured.” Unfortunately most folks are too addicted to their unhealthy lifeway to change in the way that I’ve descried here…but many will change if given the option, but our government and medical community are still in a metabolic dark ages. Sigh.

I’m sure folks will have questions, please put them in the comments and I can get to these in either a follow-up post or perhaps a podcast. I’d planned on this being substantially longer but I have some events cooking that will take me 100% out of email, phone and similar coms until early July. I’m not sure when I’ll be able to share information about that event with y’all, but I will when I can. Nicki will be Ok’ing the comments while I’m gone, podcasts are in que. Thanks for the continued support and I hope folks find this piece to be helpful.

COMMENTS :

BRENT JUNE 16, 2011 AT 6:34 AM

Great article – thanks Robb!

What would be some typical meals on a 75-80% fat diet, such as the one recommended to Pete?

Would a low-protein, very high fat diet typically be recommended for people whose doctors have told them that they are in a pre-diabetic state, or does that state not always entail kidney disfunction?

SARAH H. MAY 18, 2017 AT 6:50 PM

I know this is a really old comment, but for the people who might be reading this right now, a good sample paleo breakfast might be 1/4 – 1/2 cup grain-free granola (probably mostly nuts and seeds) drizzled with honey or natural maple syrup. A lunch could be a salmon filet, cooked in coconut oil, alongside a greens salad drizzled with olive oil, perhaps 1/4 or 1/2 an avocado. Dinner would be grass-fed beef (cut of choice) with asparagus spears covered in grass-fed butter. Perhaps a sweet potato, if you’re allowed sweet potatoes. This is a paleo dinner. Very few starches are allowed on paleo. Quinoa is actually highly inflammatory and is not indicated for kidney patients.

JAKE AUGUST 20, 2015 AT 9:45 PM

Hi Robb,
Great article. I am 40 years old in stage 4 chronic kidney disease…. i am about to start the ketocentric diet but the one concern that i have is that i have high amounts of potassium in my blood (6.3 at the moment) and so much of the fats have high potassium in them…ex. avocados,coconut oils etc… do you have any thoughts about my concerns? would it be wise to wait to start the ketocentric diet?

ROBB WOLF AUGUST 21, 2015 AT 12:35 PM

Jake!
Not sure how coconut oil has much potassium, but clearly you need to monitor that. I’d reach out to Dr. Phil Blair and see if he is willing to work with you. He is quite knowledgable in this area.

CAITLIN FEBRUARY 13, 2016 AT 3:59 PM

Jake, how has your potassium level been? I am working with a patient who has a similar situation to yours–high blood potassium and her total protein is low (below optimal) in her blood. We’ve started on some digestive support to help her produce more stomach acid (she is on Nexium, which is just blocking her from properly digesting her food). Her history is very extensive so there are a lot of factors, but I am wondering if the Paleo diet helped you? My patient is going to working on getting the wheat out of her diet and artificial sweeteners (she consumes A LOT of these daily). One step at a time, but I am hopeful. I would love to hear your update–thanks in advance!

MEREDITH DYTCH AUGUST 1, 2015 AT 11:25 AM

People who want ideas on how to eat high fat low carb would benefit by looking at this web site: https://www.reddit.com/r/keto/ alsohttps://www.reddit.com/r/ketorecipes

TONY JUNE 16, 2011 AT 7:56 AM

Nicely done Robb. Ironically, I had a friend that I recommended read your book and give Paleo a try. She has been following it pretty well as far as I know, but a couple weeks ago she went to her chiropractor. The moment she told her chiro what she was eating and the amount of protein the chiro immediately defaulted to the argument that all that protein is bad for the kidneys and liver. I forwarded this article to her in hopes that she will present it to her chiro. It is seriously difficult to argue with FACTS. This is just another case of someone not looking at the WHOLE picture (e.g. fruits are very nutritious but they still have a ****-ton of fructose and may not be the best option for the bulk of your diet). Thanks again for the opportunity to “stick it to the man.”

ANKIT JUNE 16, 2011 AT 10:37 AM

I’ll eat the twinkie but only with chicken wings so I can get my breakdown of macro-nutrients correct. Oh and I want my 5 fries!

Seriously Robb thank you for clarifing this topic. I can’t tell you how many people tell me how I’m going to have kidney damage and I tell them it’s not true but I don’t have enough bio chem to go into specifically why. This helps!

JUDY JUNE 16, 2011 AT 7:32 PM

This is very helpful – I am considered a Stage 3 CKD with an average GFR over about 5 years of 55 – where might that put me in the recommended percentage of protein/fat/carb consumed? Strangely, although I have basically eliminated sugar, grains, severely limited fruit, etc., my fasting Glucose level just popped up over 100 again. No biggie, but I was severely pissed since I expected it to be much lover–doctors defer to my age (74) although I am extremely fit, low BP, wt., etc. I would also be interested in what kinds of menus would incorporate more good fat and if that would be a good idea for me. I don’t seem to need to worry about gaining weight. Thanks so much, Robb, for making this issue a priority when you have so many demands on your time.

LIV JUNE 18, 2011 AT 12:59 AM

Hey, Robb,

Thanks for this post! I had microalbuminuria and still have multicystic kidneys (turned out it is not PKD). Low carb lifestyle and vitamin D supplementation cured my proteinuria. Can’t wait to read the next part! It is literally impossible to gain acces to valid info on this topic. Thanks again for writing about this!

SQUATCHY SEPTEMBER 18, 2015 AT 1:54 PM

There are specific ketogenic type diets that are supposed to work well with CKD. I recommend consulting with Amy Kubal (RD on our team), as she’s worked with a number of kidney patients https://paleosolution.frontdeskhq.com/offerings

FIREBIRD JUNE 18, 2011 AT 9:24 AM

I just had some blood work done and my creatinine levels are high. My doctor says my kidneys are operating at 40% capacity. He is blaming it on creatine supplementation and my protein intake. I am 46, and have been a weightlifter since age 13. I am on a low carb diet. My insulin levels are down, but my cholesterol is 336, and he is alarmed at that, never mind that cholesterol-causes heart disease has been debunked. He told me to stop the creatine and lower my protein intake. At 172 lbs. my daily protein intake is around 130 gms./day. Also, a friend, a nutrionist, says that my creatinine levels WOULD be high due to my training.

However, what my doctors haven’t considered is the fact that, as someone with a life long history of clinical depression, I have been subjected to years of anti-depressants, including six years of the maximum dosage of one particular drug. I have been off anti-depressants for three years. It is my opinion that, if my kidneys are functioning at that level, it is due to damage from the medications.

What are your thoughts on this, and can this damage be corrected?

ANGELA NOVEMBER 14, 2013 AT 8:29 PM

I am no expert, but I might wonder if your protein intake is too low, and therefore eating your own muscle mass creating excess creatinin excretion. If you are training hard you might need more, and hopefully your calories are at a good level. Good luck and God bless.

ROB JUNE 20, 2011 AT 11:49 AM

Robb,

Thanks for the enlightening article. It will serve as good ammunition for the misinformed masses.

The one issue that caught my attention was the nighttime urination (you briefly mentioned this topic in your book, too). I wake up to go to the bathroom almost every night and I assume this nuisance is due to elevated cortisol levels rather than hyperinsulinism; I eat moderate-to-low carbs, am a lean athlete, and have found that meditation improves the “condition” a good deal (whether or not this is due to placebo I don’t know). I also think I have pretty low sex drive for a 19 y/o if that means anything (I’m guessing that the cortisol, poor sleep, and lagging hormones are bound together in a vicious cycle).

I’m guessing that I could get rid of most of my issues if I cut back my bacon addiction and was more consistent and “intense” with my meditation, although whatever wisdom you can provide would be greatly appreciated.

CHRIS JUNE 20, 2011 AT 9:45 PM

Hi Rob,

Donating a kidney to my sister tomorrow morning (Stanford).

She has IgA nephropathy (Berger’s disease).

My mom has Celiac. I gave up wheat two years ago and have experienced an incredible turn around in health (240 lbs BW to 180; IBS/constipation: gone; chronic stomach ache: gone).

My sister tested (once) negative for Celiac. The docs and nutritionists (arguably some of the top guys in Nephrology in the world) don’t give a rat’s ass about the fact that my sister’s brother and mother are completely wheat intolerant. They couldn’t care less that Celiac is an auto immune disease as is Berger’s, and they don’t think she should give up wheat.

My sis says, “My stomach doesn’t hurt like yours did. I tested negative for Celiac, unlike mom. The STANFORD nutritionists and DOCTORS don’t think wheat is a problem.”

Well f*ck man she’s gambling with my kidney from my point of view. Or am I just trippen out Rob, nerves and all, night before?

GABY JUNE 29, 2012 AT 2:55 AM

Hi Robb,

Last year in my annual med tests exam my doc found blood in my urine. He re-did the test with the same result. Sent me to get an MRI of my kidneys, they were fine.

This year he again found blood in my urine. My blood test shows elevated potassium (5.7 mmol/L), plus slightly high ALT, and slightly low WBC, RBC and lymphocytes.

Doc’s secretary said everything was fine when I called to check on my results but according to this post and other sources I’ve found online, high potassium in blood is closely linked to kidney issues. Is this something I should be worrying about or is this slight above-the-range levels not serious?

NOREEN SEPTEMBER 21, 2012 AT 4:23 PM

Hi I have been trying to find out some information regarding living a paleo lifestyle for a person who has had a kidney transplant. A friend of mine has been following it now for a few days but understandably has major concern about what the high protien levels are doing to his one kidney. Doctors don’t seem to agree with paleo fullstop so I can’t see him getting unbiased advice there. Any information anybody has would be greatly appreciated. Thank you, Noreen.

AMY KUBAL SEPTEMBER 22, 2012 AT 5:06 AM

Noreen, Paleo doesn’t need to be a ‘high protein’ diet. It can be modified to fit the needs of your friend. I would highly encourage him/her to stick with it and if I can help let me know! http://robbwolf.com/about/team/amy-kubal/

BIG MIKE JANUARY 20, 2013 AT 1:45 AM

Wow, while this is undeniably and impressively thorough, I’m ashamed to say I can’t follow hardly any of it. I’ve tried a couple times.

I’m a male under 30 years old, 5’10”, clean medical history, and 165lbs. Relatively lean. Recently had 2 excruciating kidney attacks within 2 weeks of each other. The first lasted 4 hours while the second lasted about 48 hours. Brutal. I’ve been on paleo for 2 months, with high fat, pretty high protein, and low carbs. It seems so compelling that ingesting so much more fat and protein has caused this condition in me…but as you say, I must have had a damaged kidney to begin with somehow. I have no idea what was wrong with my kidney to begin with, and now I have no idea what to eat to remedy the situation. Of course my doctor says cut back on beef and chicken. No idea if that’s good advice. I wish this article allowed more practical applications to move forward in some kind of sane manner, but I get that you have to lay out the science. No idea where to go from here though. Low carb and low protein maybe? How in the world is that possible?

DR. DEBORAH EPSTEIN MARCH 20, 2013 AT 8:03 PM

I’d agree with Robb that you likely had something in the works before the “attacks.” Important to figure out what kind of attacks. Were you passing stones? Stones probably don’t form in 2 months; they’re gradual, and for some reason they just moved. It could be they moved because of getting *smaller*. There’s really interesting data available on stones and crystals from a lab called LithoLink – your doctor can order an analysis. You could then find out what you’re predisposed to, and even repeat the test in a year and see if a Paleo diet is making you better.

LINDA SEPTEMBER 17, 2015 AT 1:26 PM

i am a female, 65 years old. I have type 2 diabetes, hypertension,. I was diagnosised with stage 3 kidney disease on 5-4-15 with creatinine 1.20 and GFR of 46. As of 9-17-15 my creatinine went to 1.50 and GFR down to 36. I am 5’5″, did weigh 241 now down to 213 and continuing on a low card diet.. Hopefully will obtain a weight around 160-170. Just was taken off Metformin yesterday. What do you recommend for me to do. Do you think I have any chance of lowering my creatinine and raising my GFR?

MJ SEPTEMBER 17, 2015 AT 10:55 PM

My father died from kidney disease He had been an athlete in his youth but was overweight when he began to have heart , blood pressure and then kidney problems. I started to look for alternates to his unsuccessful
health -through – drugs strategy when I turned 55 and my peers were becoming obese. I read Dr. Cordain’s Paleo Diet for Athletes and your book The Paleo Solution and started on a casual Paleo diet in 2009. In neither of these books did I ever see a diet recommendation that was high protein or low carbohydrate. The Wahl Protocol is pretty much the same. Lowering the amount of denatured food from the diet is not the same as lowering carbs tho it can be. Including meat in the diet is not the same as a high protein diet. Eating 9 cups of veggies per day as per the Wahl diet recommends will certainly provide carbs. Meat in the 20/80 ratio as per the Paleo diet can’t ever be called high. I’m at around 9% body fat now eating all the ( blood vessel clogging) fat I can add to the vegetable and meat diet. My latest cholesterol test was off the chart low and my blood pressure is normal. I don’t believe in the genetics thing anymore. You are what you eat.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1523335/

A low-carbohydrate diet may prevent end-stage renal failure in type 2 diabetes. A case report

An obese patient with type 2 diabetes whose diet was changed from the recommended high-carbohydrate, low-fat type to a low-carbohydrate diet showed a significant reduction in bodyweight, improved glycemic control and a reversal of a six year long decline of renal function. The reversal of the renal function was likely caused by both improved glycemic control and elimination of the patient's obesity.

Insulin treatment in type 2 diabetes patients usually leads to weight increase which may cause further injury to the kidney. Although other unknown metabolic mechanisms cannot be excluded, it is likely that the obesity caused by the combination of high-carbohydrate diet and insulin in this case contributed to the patient's deteriorating kidney function. In such patients, where control of bodyweight and hyperglycemia is vital, a trial with a low-carbohydrate diet may be appropriate to avoid the risk of adding obesity-associated renal failure to already failing kidneys.
kaypohchee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2017, 02:21 AM   #917
Master Member

ur plate quite nice~~~
Thanks - the floral border one ?
Bought those in a set from a Robinsons Sale many aeons back
But quite a few different-sized ones broken over the years sighzzzz ....
Old 19-06-2017, 02:35 AM   #918
High Honorary Member

Thanks - the floral border one ?
Bought those in a set from a Robinsons Sale many aeons back
But quite a few different-sized ones broken over the years sighzzzz ....
wah atas wor~~~~~
matchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2017, 06:48 PM   #919
Master Member

From https://www.mindbodygreen.com/articl...n=emailafriend

The 'Sugar Destroyer' Herb + 9 Other Tips For Quitting Sugar That Blew Our Minds

by Liz Moody, MBG Sr. Food Editor June 18, 2017 3:30 AM

We constantly hear and talk about the benefits of quitting sugar. That's where mbg's first-ever no-sugar challenge comes in. Starting tomorrow, we'll be giving you the best tips, tricks, and recipes for quitting sugar.
https://www.mindbodygreen.com/0-1712...-of-sugar.htmlSome of our favorite social media stars—including celebrity nutritionist Kelly LeVeque of @bewellbykelly, cookie skillet queen Rachael DeVaux of @rachaelsgoodeats, SF-based bad-ass Joanne Encarnacion of @gofitjo, insanely inspirational New Yorker Rachel Mansfield of @rachlmansfield, and rock-star nutrition expert (no, really—she's on tour with Tove Lo) Courtney Swan of @realfoodology—will also be joining the challenge and popping by the @mindbodygreen Instagram account to share their journeys and their advice to help you on your path.

Do You Want to Join mbg's One-Week No-Sugar Challenge? (Uhh, Yes!)

Here are the rules:

1. Starting tomorrow, Monday, June 19, you'll pledge to give up sugar for one week, until the following Sunday (June 26).

2. No sugar means no added sugar of any sort—no coconut sugar, no maple syrup, no honey. Fruit sugar is OK in limited quantities (and stay tuned on the site, because later this week, we'll be diving into the science behind whether fruit sugar is good for your body).

3. Head over to @mindbodygreen to sign the pledge.

4. Share your no-sugar week recipes, tips, and reactions on Instagram using the #mbgnosugarweek hashtag—we'll be regramming our favorites all week long (and even sharing some here on the site!).

5. Be sure to check in on mindbodygreen.com daily, as we have some great pieces lined up to help you on your journey, including the no-sugar smoothie celebrities are obsessed with, no-sugar desserts that will make you drool, a psychologist's best advice for going through sugar withdrawal, an exploration of alternative sugars (maple, stevia, erythritol—we get into the good, the bad, and the ugly), and so much more.

So what are you waiting for? Quitting sugar will never be easier than when you have thousands of people (including the entire mbg office staff!) doing it along with you.

To kick it off, we rounded up some of the best tips we've never heard before for banishing the sweet stuff from your life. Read 'em, and get ready—#mbgnosugarweek is about to begin.

1. Find the sweetness in your life.

The common thread in people who suffer from sugar cravings is a lack of self-nurturing. They are often the types who take care of everyone else and put themselves last. So, their reward to themselves is the sweets. But what is really missing is finding the sweetness in their lives. Creating space for themselves. Finding time to do things they really love to do. Often, the people who are most susceptible to sugar cravings are working stressful jobs, living stressful lives, completely out of balance. They have disconnected from what their passions are in life, and life has become a series of obligations rather than enjoyment. So, taking the time to create space and find the sweetness in life is a great long-term strategy to avoid sugar. If the person is satisfied in all aspects of their lives, there is less reason to reach for the sweets when stressed.

—Vincent Pedre, M.D., and best-selling author of Happy Gut

2. Stick to low-sugar cuisines.

Added sugar doesn't just come in the form of a chocolate chip cookie. It also creeps into your savory meals. Southern and Asian cuisines are addictively sweet by nature. Just look at the ingredient list of a store-bought teriyaki or BBQ sauce and you’ll find sugar is the second line item (and potentially third, fourth, and fifth). Stick with Mexican, Middle Eastern, Greek, or Indian food if you’re searching for a sugar-free ethnic meal out.

—Phoebe Lapine, mbg class instructor and author of The Wellness Project

3. Drink apple cider vinegar.

Apple cider vinegar helps to change your taste buds to the point where sugary foods taste too sweet. I have found people to crave less junk when they sip apple cider vinegar throughout the day.

—Jess Sepel, mbg class instructor and author of The Healthy Life

4. Take the "sugar destroyer" herb.

Gymnema sylvestre is an herb in the milkweed family and known as a "sugar destroyer" in ayurvedic medicine, as it desensitizes our taste buds to sweet items. It can help promote healthy blood sugar levels and reduce cholesterol due to supporting a healthy pancreas and liver function. It helps regenerate beta cells in the pancreas, which secrete insulin in order to take up sugar into the cells for energy. It also helps make cells more sensitive to receiving insulin. We tend to crave sweet items when we're low on energy (perhaps not enough insulin or cells are resistant), stressed (increased cortisol causes the body to use sugar so we need to replenish), or poor sleep (also increases cortisol), for example, and gymnema helps balance spikes in blood sugar that could additionally be triggered by a poor diet. A few drops on your tongue before a meal can offset desiring sugar and last for about three hours, especially in conjunction with a nutritious diet and the desire to quit sugar. However, caution should be used if someone is taking oral medication or insulin, as it can alter prescription dosages.

—Dr. Serena Goldstein, NYC-based naturopath

Hey I ordered 1/2 dozen Gymnema tablets some years back but 'lazily' left untouched n expired now

5. Become a sugar detective.

One of the best ways to quit added sugar is to get really good at learning how to find it. Simply looking at the grams of sugar will not cut it since sugar can come naturally through dried fruit. The industry has gotten very good at masking sugar and calling it by other names. I usually teach my clients two important rules: 1) if it ends in "-ose," it's sugar, and 2) if it ends in "syrup" it's also a sugar. Some frequent ones that appear healthy but are still sugar are brown rice sugar, date sugar, and of course, sucrose, fructose, and lactose.

—Lisa Hayim, R.D., founder of The Well Necessities

6. Know that sugar replacements won't satisfy your cravings.

Don't try to replace sugar with fruit and expect to be satisfied. Seltzer is not cola, and a banana is not a cookie—and that's totally OK. Let those non-sugar items be their own awesome things instead of consolation prizes, and take this opportunity to try new stuff and find something new you like. Rather than focusing on what you can't have, think about what you can have as well as some foods and beverages you've been curious to try. For example, maybe your colleague's favorite ginger tea always smells amazing, but you've been in a rut with your sugary coffee drink. Now is a great time to give something different a shot. You might find something you love, and the novelty can help distract you from sugar FOMO.

—Jessica Cording, R.D., founder of Jessica Cording Nutrition

7. Eat almond butter.

The most helpful tip I know of for quitting sugar is to keep your blood sugar stable with almond butter. Keep a jar on hand at work, at home, and in your bag, and feed yourself a spoonful about a few times throughout the day. This will ensure steady blood sugar, warding off any blood sugar crashes that can make you go scavenge for a hit of sugar.

—Ellen Vora, M.D. and instructor of mbg classes on anxiety and insomnia

8. Train your taste buds to like bitter.

Train your taste buds to like the taste of bitter—it really does a lot to suppress the cravings for sugar. Try to eat as much plain, unflavored Greek yogurt as possible, in addition to bitter greens like watercress and bitter melon. Within 30 days, your taste buds will reset and you'll crave less sugar.

—Kim Suddeath, R.D., founder of Unrefined RD

9. Add nature's candy to healthier homemade dishes.

Since most commercial dressings have loads of added sugar, our taste buds have been trained to crave a pop of sweetness in our salads. I used to add a handful of dried cherries or cranberries until I discovered that even those are usually sweetened further with fruit juice concentrates. Now it's all about that root-veg base. Sweet potatoes, butternut squash, and parsnips become nature's candy when baked at high temperatures in the oven until crispy—hello, healthy fries! But they're also great for topping salads. Caramelized onions or crispy coconut oil fried shallots are another great sweet addition.

—Phoebe Lapine, mbg class instructor and author of The Wellness Project

10. Eat fermented foods whenever that sweets craving kicks in.

I have the biggest sweet tooth, despite being a health food editor, and I've tried everything to eliminate my own (rather persistent!) cravings. I've found that fermented foods work best for me—a few tablespoons of sauerkraut, fermented beet, or a gut shot will quell a craving in seconds. Whether it's the friendly little bacteria eating those sugar-desiring yeasts in my gut or just the strong, sour flavor on my tongue, it's become my go-to. Just make sure your fermented product is raw (not pasteurized!), so all those good bacteria are intact.

—Liz Moody (me!), mbg sr. food editor (you better believe I'll be joining the challenge—you can follow my progress on @sproutedroutes!)

Ready to get started? Here are a few more resources and recipes to kick off your journey:

A full day's worth of meals designed to balance your blood sugar and kick sugar cravings to the curb.
https://www.mindbodygreen.com/articl...ce-blood-sugar

5 things that will help you prep for no-sugar week
https://www.mindbodygreen.com/0-2872...ngs-first.html

This 3-day meal plan (with recipes) will give you more recipe options and tips (we love the no-sugar soda replacements!).
https://www.mindbodygreen.com/0-3007...ffortless.html

Last edited by kaypohchee; 19-06-2017 at 07:06 PM..
Old 19-06-2017, 10:46 PM   #920
Master Member

From https://www.dietdoctor.com/low-carb/keto

What Do You Eat on a Ketogenic Diet?

Here are typical foods to enjoy on a ketogenic diet. The numbers are net carbs per 100 grams. To remain in ketosis, lower is generally better:

Low Carb Keto Foods

The most important thing to reach ketosis is to avoid eating most carbohydrates. You’ll probably need to keep carb intake to under 50 grams per day of net carbs,13 ideally below 20 grams. The fewer carbs the more effective.

This means you’ll need to completely avoid sweet sugary foods, plus starchy foods like bread, pasta, rice and potatoes. Basically follow the guidelines for a strict low-carb diet, and remember it’s supposed to be high in fat, not high in protein.

A rough guideline is below 10% energy from carbohydrates (the fewer carbs, the more effective), 15-25% protein (the lower end is more effective), and 70% or more from fat.

Low-Carb Foods List

Foods to eat

Meat: Any type: Beef, pork, lamb, game, poultry, etc. Feel free to eat the fat on the meat as well as the skin on the chicken. If possible try to choose organic or grass-fed meats. Recipes

Fish and seafood: All kinds: Fatty fish such as salmon, mackerel, sardines or herring are great. Avoid breading. Recipes

Eggs: All kinds: Boiled, fried, scrambled, omelets, etc. Preferably organic eggs. Recipes

Natural fat, high-fat sauces: Using butter and cream for cooking can make your food taste better and make you feel more satisfied. Try a Béarnaise or Hollandaise sauce, check the ingredients or make it yourself. Coconut fat or olive oil are also good options. Learn more

Vegetables that grow above ground: Cauliflower, broccoli, cabbage and Brussels sprouts, kale, collards, bok choy, spinach, asparagus, zucchini, eggplant, olives, spinach, mushrooms, cucumber, lettuce, avocado, onions, peppers, tomatoes etc. Learn more

Dairy products: Always select full-fat options like real butter, cream (40% fat), sour cream, Greek/Turkish yogurt and high-fat cheeses. Be careful with regular milk, reduced fat and skim milk as they contain a lot of milk sugar. Avoid flavored, sugary and low-fat products.

Nuts: Great for a treat (in moderation) instead of popcorn, candy or chips. Learn more

Berries: Okay in moderation, if you are not super strict or sensitive. Great with whipped cream. Learn more

Try to avoid

Here’s what you should not eat on low carb – foods full of sugar and starch. As you can see, these foods are much higher in carbs.

The numbers are grams of digestible carbs per 100 grams (3.5 ounces), unless otherwise noted.

Avoid these high-carb foods

Sugar: The worst. Soft drinks, candy, juice, sports drinks, chocolate, cakes, buns, pastries, ice cream, breakfast cereals. Preferably avoid sweeteners as well.

Starch: Bread, pasta, rice, potatoes, French fries, potato chips, porridge, muesli and so on. Wholegrain products are just less bad. Legumes, such as beans and lentils, are high in carbs. Moderate amounts of root vegetables may be OK (unless you’re eating extremely low carb).

Margarine: Industrially imitated butter with unnaturally high content of omega-6 fat. Has no health benefits, tastes bad. Statistically linked to asthma, allergies and other inflammatory diseases.

Beer: Liquid bread. Full of rapidly absorbed carbs. But there are a few lower-carb beers

Fruit: Very sweet, lots of sugar. Eat once in a while. Treat fruit as a natural form of candy. Learn more

Watch out

Be very skeptical of special “low-carb” products, such as pasta or chocolate. Unfortunately these products usually work poorly. They have prevented weight loss for loads of people. They’re commonly full of carbs once you see through the creative marketing.

There are dozens of companies trying to trick you into buying their “low carb” junk food, full of starch, sugar alcohols, flour, sweeteners and strange additives.

One of the largest such companies was recently fined 8 million dollars for shamelessly lying about the carb content of their products.

Two simple rules to avoid this junk:

- Don’t eat “low carb” versions of high carb stuff, like cookies, bars, chocolate, bread, pasta or ice cream – unless you are SURE of the ingredients (perhaps from making it yourself).

- Avoid products with the words “net carbs” on them. That’s usually just a way to fool you.

Eat Real Food

Focus on eating good quality, minimally processed real food. Ideally the food you buy shouldn’t even have a list of ingredients (or it should be very short).

How low carb is low carb?

It’s called Low Carb, not No Carb. So how much carbs can you eat in a day?

The answer is that it depends. But as a rough guide stay under 20 grams per day for maximum effect, and everyone who wants some benefits of low-carb eating (like effortless weight loss) should probably aim for at least staying under 100 grams of carbs per day.

Here are three examples of how a low-carb meal can look, depending on how many carbs you eat per day:

KETO

MODERATE

LIBERAL

Last edited by kaypohchee; 20-06-2017 at 12:47 AM..
Old 20-06-2017, 12:28 AM   #921
Master Member

More specific advice on what to eat – and what not to eat
https://www.dietdoctor.com/low-carb#advice

2. What to Eat on a Low-Carb Diet

In this section you can learn exactly what to eat on low carb, whether you prefer visual guides, detailed food lists, delicious recipes or a simple get started guide.

Let’s start with a quick visual guide to low carb. Here are the basic food groups you can eat all you like of, until you’re satisfied:

The numbers above are grams of digestible carbs per 100 grams (3.5 ounces). Fiber is not counted, you can eat all the fiber you want.

All foods above are below 5% carbs. Sticking to these foods will make it relatively easy to stay on a strict low-carb diet, with less than 20 grams of carbs per day.

https://www.dietdoctor.com/low-carb/foods

Low-carb foods include meat, fish, eggs, vegetables and natural fats, like butter.

Are you wondering what low-carb foods to eat? What do you have for breakfast for example? And what can you have instead of pasta or bread?

It’s possible to eat great, amazing food until you are satisfied… and still lose weight. On this page you can learn how to make low carb simple – you get a guide to what to eat, what to avoid, hundreds of awesome low-carb recipes and our free 2-week get started challenge.

Alternatively just use our free 2-week low-carb meal plan, and if you want more, our amazing low-carb meal planner service (free trial).

https://www.dietdoctor.com/low-carb/20-50-how-much

20 and 50 Grams of Carbs – How Much Food Is That?

How many carbs are there in common foods? It varies wildly. On this page you’ll find out in a simple way. Like this:

A low-carb diet restricts carbs, for example recommending under 20 net grams per day on a keto low-carb diet.1

You can eat a lot of vegetables before reaching 20 grams of net carbs, even if you add some colorful peppers and tomatoes. Roughly 20 ounces – more than half a kilo – of vegetables, full of other nutrients (low-carb vegetables guide).

On the other hand, just one half of a hamburger bun can contain 20 grams of carbs, adding up to the entire day’s ration of carbs on a keto low-carb diet. In that case, regular bread is not really an option. But there are low-carb breads that are much lower in carbs.

20 grams of carbs in high-carb foods

Just one large potato contains 20 grams of carbs, the daily limit on a keto low-carb diet. As does one half of a large hamburger bun. Or a few bites of rice or pasta.

These foods practically can’t be included at all on a keto low-carb diet
, and only in small amounts – if at all – on a more liberal low-carb diet.

Rice can be replaced with cauliflower rice and potato mash can be replaced by cauliflower mash. For a pasta option check out our keto pasta or simply spiralize a zucchini.

Furthermore, there are are tons of other delicious low-carb side dishes that can replace the pasta, rice and potatoes.

20 grams of carbs in lower-carb foods

Getting to 20 grams of carbs by just eating spinach (bottom right plate) requires an enormous effort. At 1.4 grams of digestible carbs per 100 gram you’d have to eat about three pounds (1.5 kilos) of spinach. Please note that this is even more than is shown above, this is simply all the spinach we could fit onto the plate!

However, by adding some slightly more carb-rich vegetables like peppers and cherry tomatoes, it’s quite easy to get to 20 grams (top left plate). Full low-carb vegetables guide

Nuts and berries are moderately low carb, and you’ll have to be a bit careful with them to stay under 20 grams every day.

50 grams of carbs in high-carb foods

Adding a bit more bread, pasta, rice or potatoes will easily take you above 50 grams of carbs as well – the suggested limit for a more moderate low-carb diet.

It does not take much – for example just three large potatoes or three slices of bread.

50 grams of carbs in low-carb foods

Getting to 50 grams eating only vegetables, nuts or berries is a challenge, but you could do it.

Really low-carb foods

None of the foods above are extremely low in carbs. How much would you need to eat to get to 20 grams of net carbs when eating other low-carb staples? Get the answers below:

Butter – 44 pounds (20 kilos)
Eggs – 30 eggs (one egg contains less than 1 gram of carbs)
Avocado – 7 avocados (Net carbs per avocado: 3)
Cheese – 3 pounds (1.5 kilo)
Béarnaise sauce – 2 pounds (1 kilo)
Meat – an almost infinite amount (meat is virtually free of carbs)
Fish – an almost infinite amount
Olive oil – an infinite amount
Coconut fat – an infinite amount

Read the nutrition label in the grocery store.
No more than 5% of carbohydrates in any food item is a good rule of thumb.

Last edited by kaypohchee; 20-06-2017 at 12:34 AM..
Old 20-06-2017, 12:33 AM   #922
Master Member

Detailed low-carb foods list

Low-Carb Vegetables – the Best and the Worst

What low-carb vegetables are good? There’s a very simple rule:

* Vegetables growing above ground are low carb and can be eaten freely.

* Vegetables growing below ground contain more carbs, so you’ll have to be
more careful with them (especially potatoes).

Like any rule it is not perfect, so have a look below.

Above ground

All numbers are net carbs per 100 grams (3½ ounces).

All numbers represent percent of net carbohydrates.2 This means that a hundred grams (3½ ounces) – the weight of an average tomato – of any vegetable will contain this number of grams of carbs.

E.g. an average tomato has about 3 grams of carbs. A whole cauliflower head weighs a lot more though, perhaps ten times more, and may thus contain about ten times 4 grams, i.e. 40 grams of carbs.

Please note the difference between above-ground and below-ground vegetables.

Vegetables with less than 5 percent carbs may be eaten relatively freely. If you’re on a not-too-strict low-carb diet (more than 20 grams per day), you can probably eat all you want of all these low-carb vegetables.

If you’re on a keto low-carb diet (below 20 grams a day), you may need to be a bit careful with some of the vegetables. You should probably be especially careful with peppers or tomatoes – these carbs quickly add up towards the 20 grams-a-day limit. Just one medium-sized pepper may contain 6-8 grams of digestible carbs.

Top 10 Low-Carb Vegetables

Here are the ten greatest low-carb vegetables, tasty and nutritious but with very few carbs. They’re sorted by how popular and useful they are in low-carb cooking.

All numbers are net carbs per 100 grams (3½ ounces).3

1. Cauliflower – 4 g. The most classic and iconic of all low-carb vegetables. The base of cauliflower rice and cauliflower mash. Check out our top 18 cauliflower recipes

2. Cabbage – 3 g. Another great low-carb vegetable. Who doesn’t love butter-fried green cabbage or the truly addictive Asian cabbage stir-fry? For more, here are our top 21 cabbage recipes

3. Avocado – 2 g. Not just low carb, but also full of nutritious fat. Avocado can be eaten in all kinds of ways, including on its own, perhaps with some mayonnaise, or it can be used to make guacamole. But that’s just the start, here are more awesome avocado recipes

4. Broccoli – 4 g. Another great option that can replace pasta, rice or potatoes. Just fry it in butter or add some cheese for great-tasting side dishes. More recipes

5. Zucchini – 3 g. Try our zucchini fries or zucchini chips. Zucchini can also be used to make low-carb pasta, like in this low-carbonara. More recipes

6. Spinach – 1 g. An extremely low-carb vegetable, that can be used in many ways. Check out our very popular low-carb frittata with fresh spinach or any of our many other spinach recipes

7. Asparagus – 2 g. Tasty and nutritious and very low carb. Top recipes

8. Kale – 4 g. Recipes

9. Green beans – 4 g. Recipes

10. Brussels sprouts – 5 g. Recipes

Peas, corn, beans, lentils, quinoa

Peas, corn, beans, lentils and quinoa are not vegetables and contain more carbohydrates than vegetables. Be careful with them on a strict low-carb diet, eating them in very small amounts or not at all.

Most of these plant foods are not classified as vegetables but as grains or legumes. They are not good low-carb options.

Grains and pure sugar

Wheat is not a vegetable, it is a grain. And anything made with wheat flour contains lots of rapidly digested carbs. Avoid this as much as possible when on a low-carb diet. Whole-grain products are just less bad – it’s like cigarettes with filter.

Bread, pasta, rice, cookies etc. are not vegetables, and they are full of carbohydrates.

High fructose corn syrup – the sugary nutrient in soda – comes from plants (corn), but it is not a vegetable and it most certainly is not low carb.
Old 20-06-2017, 01:01 AM   #923
Master Member

What to drink

So what do you drink on low carb? Water is perfect, and so is coffee or tea. Ideally, use no sweeteners. A modest amount of milk or cream is OK (but beware of caffe latte!).

The occasional glass of wine is fine too.

Check out our full guides to low-carb drinks and low-carb alcohol.

The no breakfast option

Do you NEED breakfast on a low-carb diet? No.

On a low-carb, high-fat diet you’re likely not as hungry and you don’t need to eat as often. Skipping breakfast is perfectly fine if you’re not hungry. Perhaps you’ll only have a cup of coffee.

In fact skipping breakfast is a popular version of intermittent fasting. This can really speed up weight loss… and type 2 diabetes reversal. As a bonus you’ll save time and money.

Low-Carb Lunches and Dinners

Suggestions for low-carb lunches and dinners:

* Meat, fish or chicken dishes with vegetables and a rich full-fat sauce. There are many alternatives to potatoes, such as mashed cauliflower.
* Stews, soups or casseroles with low-carb ingredients.
* You can use most recipes in cookbooks if you avoid the carbohydrate-rich ingredients. It’s often a good idea to add fat (e.g. butter, cream) to the recipe. Or check out our full low-carb recipe site.
* Drink water with your meal or (occasionally) a glass of wine.

Other simple sides

* Salads made from above-ground vegetables, perhaps with some kind of cheese. Try out different kinds.
* Boiled broccoli, cauliflower or Brussels sprouts.
* Vegetables au gratin: Fry squash, aubergine and fennel (or other vegetables you like) in butter. Add salt and pepper. Put in baking dish and add grated cheese. Bake at 225° C (450° F) until the cheese melts and turns golden.
* Vegetables stewed in cream, e.g. cabbage or spinach.
* Avocado
* Vegetable spaghetti can be used instead of pasta. Learn how to make it

Low-Carb Snacks and Desserts

On a low-carbohydrate diet with more fat and a bit more protein you will probably not need to eat as often. Don’t be surprised if you no longer need to snack. Many people do well on two or three meals per day.

If you always get hungry between meals you’re probably not eating enough fat. Don’t fear fat. Eat more fat until you feel satisfied.

Here are quick options if you want to eat something right away:

* Rolled-up cheese or ham with a vegetable (some people even spread butter on cheese)
* A piece of cheese
* A boiled egg from the refrigerator
* Canned mackerel in tomato sauce
* Babybel cheese

Snacks

Olives and nuts may replace potato chips as snacks. Here are more options:

* Mixed nuts Learn more
* Sausage: Cut it in pieces, add a piece of cheese and stick a toothpick through them.
* Vegetables with dip, Try cucumber sticks, red, yellow or green peppers, cauliflower, etc.
* Cream cheese rolls: Roll some cream cheese in a piece of salami, prosciutto/cold cuts or a long slice of cucumber.
* Olives
* Parmesan cheese crisps: On a baking tray, form small piles of grated Parmesan cheese. Heat in oven at 225°C (450°F). Let them melt and get a nice color (be careful – they burn easily). Serve as chips, perhaps with some dip.

Last edited by kaypohchee; 20-06-2017 at 01:03 AM..
Old 20-06-2017, 01:10 AM   #924
Master Member

From https://www.mindbodygreen.com/articl...ampaign=170619

The AHA Just Declared Coconut Oil Unhealthy. Here's Why Functional Medicine Doctors Disagree

by Liz Moody, MBG Sr. Food Editor June 19, 2017 5:45 AM

It was the news forwarded 'round the world this weekend (especially for those in the healthy food world)—the American Heart Association released a report warning against coconut oil. The author of the study said he had no idea why people ever thought coconut oil was healthy, condemning the high amount of saturated fat in the product.

The wellness world is no stranger to controversy, but coconut oil being unilaterally dismissed ("Coconut oil isn't healthy. It's never been healthy," trumpeted the viral headline announcing the study) struck a particularly devastating note among the many who touted its miraculous properties.

Like so many things nutrition-related, though, there are two (and often 20) sides to every story—and that certainly held true for this one.

Is coconut oil unhealthy?

"There has never been a debate that coconut oil contains higher amounts of saturated fat and can increase total cholesterol levels. This isn't new news," says Dr. Will Cole, a functional medicine practitioner. "The studies the AHA cite do not link eating more coconut oil to heart disease, they link it to increasing cholesterol numbers. The reality is, total cholesterol is a poor predictor for assessing heart attack and stroke risk. Studies have found that there might be no association between high total cholesterol and heart attack and stroke risk."

Dr. Sara Gottfried, a hormone expert and best-selling author, notes that in the many years the American Heart Association has been pushing low-fat diets, there has been a growing epidemic of obesity and diabetes. "I'm not a fan of blanket statements; the future of medicine is personalized to the individual based on the gene/environment interaction. Coconut oil is unusual in that it contains medium-chain triglycerides that are well-proven to speed metabolism and assist in fat loss. Another component is lauric acid, found in breastmilk, which is antimicrobial."

Dr. Robin Berzin, CEO and founder of Parsley Health, explains that "the AHA's recommendation is based on an out of date and oversimplified understanding of the role of cholesterol in heart disease. While very high levels of LDL are problematic, LDL total number is much less important than LDL composition—the shapes and sizes of the particles themselves. It is the small, dense particles that are inflammatory and associated with heart disease. The larger, fluffy particles are not. This goes back to the current debate over the health of saturated fat and eating fat. High saturated-fat consumption in a diet that is otherwise void of adequate fiber and leafy greens, and too high in sugar and refined carbohydrates, increases small, dense LDL. High fat consumption from clean sources such as monounsaturated fats (olive oil) and even saturated fat (organic coconut oil) in a diet mainly free from sugar and flours and high in vegetables and fibers can actually improve cholesterol composition."

That said, while every doctor spoke to disagreed with the AHA's unequivocal dismissal of coconut oil, almost all agreed that the way it's often consumed in the wellness world isn't optimal either.

"The problem with saturated fats like coconut oil occurs when people eat them with refined grains (which turn into sugar) such as breads and pasta or sugary foods," explains Dr. Cole. "This 'mixed meal' combination amplifies the inflammatory effects of sugar."

In essence, when it comes to your health, you need to look at the whole picture rather than an isolated ingredient. Coconut oil interacts differently in the human body depending on what else is being consumed. Supplementing a high-sugar, high-refined-carb diet with coconut oil will increase the bad type of cholesterol and contribute to inflammation. As Dr. Cole puts it, "If you're not going to eat vegetables and avoid carby junk foods, I suggest limiting your saturated fat intake—coconut oil included."
[Re : Dr Eric Berg's 5 cups veggies daily mantra for LCHF]

The experts also noted that portion size matters. "The idea proposed by some so-called health authorities to add 1 to 2 tablespoons of coconut oil to every meal is not good for everyone," says Dr. Gottfried. "Some genotypes gain weight with such a large load of fat. Coconut oil is safe, especially for cooking, when the dose is right for you. For me, that’s 1 or 2 tablespoons per day."

The bottom line?

Every expert agreed that coconut oil can still be considered a health food, due to its medium-chain triglycerides, lauric acid, and a general misunderstanding of saturated fat. It does, however, need to be consumed in an otherwise generally healthy diet in order not to cause additional inflammation in the body, and its status as a healthier cooking oil does not give carte blanche to eat tablespoons of it daily. "All this coconut-flavored saturated-fat banter really highlights what functional medicine excels at: finding out what your body loves and hates," Dr. Cole says. "We are all different. Seeing thousands of patients over the years, I certainly can't deny the fact that some people do better with less saturated fats and some thrive with more. It's about what works for you."
Old 20-06-2017, 01:21 AM   #925
Master Member

Woke up 1+pm Mon 19/6
Prepared fresh Lemon Infused Water with just Green Tea ACV & Baking Soda

Was feeling slightly peckish
So didn't decline this time when mom "screamed at me" to take the Tea
But I left 1/3 dough from the 1/2 tuna n charsiu buns uneaten [just ate the liao] as want to save on the allowed 700 FMD calories so can eat more food at dinner
4.30 pm Tea = IF 21.5/3.5 today

Moi Day 7 FMD 'Fast' Dinner
Felt mom's offerings too light so washed up some arugula n grape cherry tomatoes from Fri haul + balance butterhead lettuce for a very simple no-dressing instant salad (wish to avoid the midnight hunger pangs as occurred on Thurs night after that light dinner - had to cook that Big English Breakfast supper !)

My favorite Vinegared Pork Ribs - hv always been complaining on kiamsiap mom's Small Servings here .....

Kailan in oyster sauce - so miserly !!!

Leftover Sun lunch item Prawn Okra

Only very much later when finished our dinner n mom went into kitchen to get the papaya dessert, she then realised that she had forgotten all about the Sharksfin Marrow Soup - she IS really going senile here Sighzzzzz
I wouldn't hv bothered to do the salad if I'd known there was soup too !!!
Old 20-06-2017, 02:13 AM   #926
Master Member

https://www.dietdoctor.com/low-carb/fats-sauces

Low-Carb Fats and Sauces – the Best and the Worst

What are the best and the worst fats and sauces on a low-carb diet? It’s an important question as a low-carb diet needs to be high in fat to be sustainable (here’s why https://www.dietdoctor.com/how-to-lose-weight#2).

Fortunately, there are tons of great options, plus some not-so-good ones. For more details, please check out this visual guide. The lower-carb options are to the left:

The numbers represent grams of net carbs per 100 gram (3½ ounces).1 The green foods contain less than 5 percent carbs – a good basic rule of thumb for a keto low-carb diet.

Note: these are general numbers so please keep in mind that they may vary between different brands. To be on the safe side, read the nutrition facts label on the back.

Mustard vs. ketchup

Should a low-carber choose mustard or ketchup?

Well, ketchup generally contains a lot more carbs than mustard does, but some kinds of mustard also have a lot of sugar added, so choose sugar-free mustard, like for example Dijon. Check the nutrition facts to make sure.

BBQ issues

Please note that store-bought BBQ sauce is loaded with sugar. Those glazed ribs may look nice, but there’s quite a load of sugar on them. Remove to stay low carb. Or decide to eat anyway, knowing what you’re doing.

How to eat more fat

Fat is filling, and an amazing flavor enhancer. But how do you get enough of it in your diet? And how much fat should you really eat? Hint: enough to feel satisfied and not hungry.

Detailed list and recipes for low-carb fats & sauces

Below is a detailed list of carbs in fats and low-carb sauces. The number is net carbs per 100 gram (3½ ounces).

Do you want to make your own low-carb sauce, or use fat? Follow the links for awesome recipes.

Butter 0
Coconut oil 0
Vinaigrette 0
Béarnaise sauce 2

Hollandaise sauce 2
Ranch dip 2
Aioli 2
Mustard 2
Guacamole 3
Thousand islands dressing 3
Heavy cream 3
Soy sauce 4
Blue-cheese dressing 4
Salsa 6
Pesto 8
Tomato paste 15

How Much Fat Should You Eat?

Are you hungry? Don’t be. When you cut back on carbohydrates, the trick is to fuel your energy needs with fat instead. Eat enough fat at your meals so that you are not hungry for at least 5 hours.

Shoot for feeling pleasantly satisfied, but not overfed. After dinner, you should make it easily through the night – 12 hours without hunger (if not more). Work towards finding this balance.

Below are a few refinements to this advice, if you really want to maximize the effectiveness of your low-carb diet. Most people never care about these things and they do well anyway. But for bonus points check out these five extra refinements.

1. Ease into fat adaption

When you begin your low-carb journey, you may find some high-fat foods taste ‘too rich.’ Be patient. As you transition to your new way of eating, both your body and your taste buds will adjust. Work up to eating enough fat to avoid hunger and allow your body time (at least a month) to settle into its new pattern of burning fat instead of carbohydrates.

When you find that balance, hunger will diminish as your body enjoys easy access to the body’s fat stores that were locked away by a high-carb diet.

2. Dial it back for weight loss

Hoping to lose weight? If the answer is yes, once you are at ease with your low-carb diet, experiment with reducing the extra fat you add to meals.

Eat just enough to avoid hunger – let your body burn its internal fat stores rather than that extra pat of butter. This will accelerate weight loss.

But don’t go too far – when hungry, always opt for additional fat rather than cheating on your low-carb plan.

https://www.dietdoctor.com/much-fat-eat-ketogenic-diet

3. Add fat as needed for maintenance

Once you reach your goal weight, you no longer have the internal fat stores necessary to fuel an energy shortfall day after day. Tune into your body’s hunger signals. Now is the time to gradually add more fat to your diet until you find the satisfying balance of hunger-free weight maintenance.

*** For Ketosis & Optimal Weight Loss
Maximum 20 grams nett carbs and 60-70 grams protein [depending on body weight] per day for optimal ketosis.

4. Eat an adequate amount of protein

Part of the trick of minimizing hunger is making sure you eat the right amount of protein. For most people, this happens naturally. But, if you can’t beat your hunger by adding fat, or if you are eating very low-carb but stalled in weight loss, take a look at how much protein you are eating.

How much is enough? Individual needs vary, but about 1 gram of protein per kilogram of bodyweight (each day) may be optimal for weight loss. You may need more if you are active though, especially if lifting weights and building muscle.

5. Optional extra details

If you’re interested in even more details and discussion about adapting the amount of fat and protein to your exact needs, and your situation, watch this interview with Dr. Ted Naiman. Probably you don’t need to – most people don’t need to that much fine-tuning.

Is Obesity Caused by Too Much Insulin? – Dr. Ted Naiman
20625:27
Get the video from https://www.dietdoctor.com/low-carb/how-to-eat-more-fat

Last edited by kaypohchee; 20-06-2017 at 03:07 AM..
Old 20-06-2017, 02:16 AM   #927
Master Member

https://www.dietdoctor.com/low-carb/how-to-eat-more-fat

The Top 10 Ways to Eat More Fat

By Jennifer Calihan, Dr. Andreas Eenfeldt, M.D. – Updated June 2017

Flavorful, full-fat ingredients topped with creamy, satisfying sauces… Low-carb eating can be decadent! Fat is an amazing flavor enhancer – it makes everything taste better. And if you eat enough fat, it’s filling, too. Get ready for a new, luscious take on deliciousness!

Remember that a low-carb diet needs to be higher in fat, to make it satisfying. Don’t fear fat (natural fat is good for you). Don’t stay hungry. Add enough fat to feel satisfied after eating.

This can sometimes be a challenge for people who are not used to eating natural fat. Here are the top 10 tips on how to eat more fat – plus tips on HOW much fat you should aim for.

1. Start with whole, full-fat ingredients

Say goodbye to low-fat and fat-free products. Say good riddance to Egg Beaters, artificial creamers, and reduced-fat peanut butter. Banish any item labeled ‘light’ or ‘lite’ from your pantry and refrigerator.

Forget nonfat and low-fat dairy. (If your grocery store doesn’t carry plain, full-fat yogurt, buy the plain low-fat version and add back the fat by stirring in heavy cream, sour cream, or crème fraiche.)

Rethink your grocery list and stock your refrigerator and pantry with real whole food, including fat-rich options like avocados and eggs. Try to add natural fat rather than avoid it.

Fatty cuts of meat can be more flavorful, tender and inexpensive than leaner cuts. Salmon and sardines contain plenty of healthy fats and are a terrific addition, too. Invite these delicious items back onto your plate.

2. Cook with fat

No more limp steamed vegetables or dry chicken breasts. Cook your vegetables, meat, fish, and eggs in tasty natural fats like butter. Or the other ones listed under point 3, below.

Use as much as you need.

3. Use different fats for different flavors

Fats can change the flavor of a dish, which adds variety to your meals. For example, top green beans with butter for a comforting, familiar taste. Or, sauté them in peanut oil and drizzle with sesame oil for a delicious, Asian-inspired variation.

Experiment with new combinations to see what you like best. Stock several of these healthy fats in your fridge or pantry:

butter
lard, tallow, duck fat, and other animal fat
coconut oil
olive oil
avocado oil
peanut oil
other nut oils (macadamia, almond, walnut, etc.)
sesame oil

4. Prepare low-carb recipes

Low-carb recipes are designed to deliver delicious meals, with plenty of fat built right into the ingredient list.

Try the favorites above or click through to many more!https://www.dietdoctor.com/low-carb/recipes

5. Top any dish with oil, dressing, sauces, or butter

Drizzle on oil… Pour on dressing… Spoon on Hollandaise… Ladle on flourless gravy… Dollop on sour cream… Spread on mayo… Melt on butter. Top off your dish with one of many fat-rich options.

What sounds delicious to you? For more, check out our recipes for low-carb dressings, condiments, dips and sauces https://www.dietdoctor.com/low-carb/recipes/condiments

6. Garnish with high-fat foods

Cheese. Avocados. Cured Meat. Olives. Seeds. Nuts. These whole-food toppings add flavor and nutrients, including plenty of fat, of course! Sprinkle some on almost any dish. Here are a few ideas to mix and match:

shredded parmesan | chunked blue cheese | grated cheddar
smoked gouda | balled buffalo mozzarella | crumbled feta
melted gruyere | baked brie | grilled halloumi
cubed avocado | mashed guacamole
diced bacon | sliced pancetta | ground sausage
minced black olives | stuffed green olives
sautéed pine nuts | roasted pepitas | toasted sesame seeds
slivered almonds | chopped macadamia nuts | spiced walnuts | flaked coconut

7. Ensure snacks contain fat

As a rule, it is best to avoid snacks, but if you are too hungry to make it comfortably to the next meal, reach for a real-food snack with plenty of fat. Obvious choices include cheese, nuts, and hard boiled eggs.

For more ideas, check out our guide to low-carb snacks
https://www.dietdoctor.com/low-carb/snacks

8. Add a cheese course

Cheese is a simple addition to any meal. It works as an appetizer. It works as a topping. It works as a dessert. If you need a lot of calories, cheese can help you feel satisfied.

Top low-carb recipes with cheese
https://www.dietdoctor.com/low-carb/...eese&st=recipe

9. Blend fat into coffee or tea

Melting butter or coconut oil into coffee or tea is quick and easy. Pouring in heavy whipping cream works, too. This warm and comforting shot of fat can replace breakfast, stave off hunger between meals, or substitute for dessert if you aren’t quite full.

Use this tool wisely; for some people, too much can stall weight loss or spike cholesterol. Especially if you drink it despite not being hungry, adding tons of fuel you don’t need. This is a potent tool – use it wisely.

Bulletproof coffee recipe https://www.dietdoctor.com/recipes/bulletproof-coffee

10. Consider a fat bomb for dessert

Our first advice is to skip dessert. If you do decide to treat yourself, look for recipes that are heavy in fat and low in sugar and artificial sweeteners. Unsweetened heavy whipped cream on raspberries is a perfect choice. Here are a few more of our favorites:

Low-carb snack and dessert recipes https://www.dietdoctor.com/low-carb/...nacks-desserts

Summary of the 10 Tips

Fat makes life tastier, easier, healthier, and more satisfying. So add the fat! Mmmm........

About
This Diet Doctor guide was written by Jenni Calihan, who also blogs at EatTheButter.org. Final editing by Andreas Eenfeldt, MD.
Old 20-06-2017, 03:02 AM   #928
Master Member

https://www.dietdoctor.com/how-to-lose-weight#2

How to Lose Weight

Do you have trouble losing weight? Or would you like to lose faster? You’ve come to the right place.

The sad truth is that conventional ideas – eat less, run more – do not work long term. Counting calories, exercising for hours every day and trying to ignore your hunger? That’s needless suffering and it wastes your time and precious willpower. It’s weight loss for masochists. Eventually almost everyone gives up. That’s why we have an obesity epidemic.

Fortunately there’s a better way. Get ready for effortless weight loss.

The bottom line? Your weight is hormonally regulated. All that’s necessary is reducing your fat-storing hormone, insulin, and you’ll effortlessly lose excess weight.

Below is a practical step-by-step guide to do exactly that.

Free and Fantastic

This guide is free. There are no magic pills or potions involved. You’ll only need to eat delicious food. And no, we’re not selling that either.

The advice below is not only free, it’s insanely effective. Just how effective? See for yourself.

View 100+ Amazing Success Stories
https://www.dietdoctor.com/low-carb/success-stories

Top 18 Weight-Loss Tips

Are you ready? Here we go.

Start at the top of the list (most important) and go down as far as you need. Click on any tip to read all about it. Perhaps you only need the first piece of advice?

1. Choose a low-carb diet
2. Eat when hungry
3. Eat real food
4. Eat only when hungry
5. Measure your progress wisely
6. Be persistent
7. Women: Avoid fruit
8. Men: Avoid beer
9. Avoid artificial sweeteners
10. Review any medications
11. Stress less, sleep more
12. Eat less of dairy products and nuts
13. Supplement vitamins and minerals
14. Use intermittent fasting
15. Exercise smart
16. Achieve optimal ketosis
17. Get your hormones checked
18. Consider weight loss pills / drugs (if desperate)

Eighteen tips too many for you? Check out this new high-quality video course with the five most important ones. Sign up for free updates and you’ll get instant access to it:

More details on each tip - go to the link to read for yourself !!!

https://www.dietdoctor.com/how-much-...eat-in-ketosis

How Much Protein Can You Eat in Ketosis?

Having been a low-carb enthusiast and team Diet Doctor member for years, you would have thought I’d nailed ketosis ages ago. I haven’t.

In the last post, Why You’re Not in Ketosis, I revealed why, and how I fixed it (by reducing my carb and protein intake to 20 and 60 grams per day respectively).

But, I had a problem. Though it felt awesome to be back in ketosis, it sucked to eat so little protein – 60 grams a day isn’t much for a meat lover like me.

Could I eat more protein AND remain in optimal ketosis?

I was going to find out.

The protein experiment

I designed the following experiment:

First, I would increase my protein intake from 60 grams a day to the level where I would no longer be in optimal ketosis.

Then, I would reduce my protein intake until I was back in optimal ketosis, using what I ate on the last day to define my daily-protein limit.

Finally, I’d eat to this daily-protein limit every day for a week to test its accuracy, adjusting my protein intake if necessary.

To increase the trustworthiness of the experiment, I added five rules:

1. Keep eating 10-20 grams of carbs a day
2. Keep eating during a four-hour window (5-9pm)
3. Adjust my protein intake gradually
4. Make no other major changes to my life
5. Measure my blood-ketone levels every morning before eating

“Nice plan”, I thought.

But there was one thing I hadn’t taken into account…

Preparation

To start off the experiment, I measured my blood-ketone levels: 2.0 mmol/L.

Not exactly shocking news – I had been eating 45-60 grams of protein and 10-20 grams of carbs a day for weeks, being in optimal ketosis almost every morning.

But all that could end soon – it was protein time.

Day 1: Taco-cheese shells

On the first day of the experiment, I ate similarly to how I’d eaten lately – butter, eggs, ground beef, and some vegetables, but no berries or nuts. For the extra protein, I ate the totally delicious taco-cheese shells. Awesome.

Low-Carb Taco Shells
381 Ketogenic low carb Easy 10 + 15 m

The totals for the day were 85 grams of protein (40 grams more than the day before), 10 grams of carbs (10 grams less than the day before), and lots of fat.

Would I be out of optimal ketosis by tomorrow morning?

Day 2: Low-carb pizza

I woke up at 06:10 am. Feeling a little nervous, I walked quickly to the living room, sat down by the dinner table, and prepared my blood-ketone meter. “Not again”, I thought as the needle closed in on my finger.

After ten seconds, I saw this:

Oh yeah, optimal ketosis and 0.4 mmol/L more ketones than yesterday! Good news, but it was early days.

What caused the ketone increase? Perhaps it was eating 10 grams carbs less than the day before, perhaps it was random variance (the blood-ketone meter isn’t 100% accurate), or perhaps it was something else. I couldn’t be sure.

I upped my protein and carb intake a notch by eating a few more vegetables and raspberries, and by replacing those crispy taco-cheese shells with a few slices of the legendary low-carb pizza. So delicious!

The totals for the day were 100 grams of protein (+15 grams), 20 grams of carbs (+10 grams), and lots of fat.

Could my ketone levels survive this carb and protein onslaught?

Day 3: Liver, eggs, cheese, and more pizza!

I woke up early, walked quickly to the living room, sat down by the dinner table, and prepared my blood-ketone meter. “Ouch, not again”, I thought as the needle was about to attack my finger. I touched the ketone strip and waited.

After ten seconds, I saw this:

Oh yeah, optimal ketosis! 0.4 mmol/L less ketones than yesterday, but the same ketone levels as on day 1 having eaten 40 grams more protein. And I had doubled my carb intake from the day before.

What caused the ketone reduction? Perhaps it was eating more protein and/or carbs, perhaps it was random variance, or perhaps it was something else. I didn’t know.

I decided to go for it. How much protein could I possibly eat in a day while keeping carbs to maximum 20 grams?

I stuffed myself with liver, eggs, cheese, and more low-carb pizza. Eating so much felt great, but after a while I was totally stuffed. I went to bed feeling nauseous – too much food.

The totals for the day were 135 grams of protein (+35 grams), 20 grams of carbs (+0 grams), and lots of fat.

Day 4: Bye, bye ketosis, right?

I woke up super thirsty. After chucking down a big glass of water, I walked to the living room, sat down by the dinner table, and prepared my blood-ketone meter. “Here we go again…”, I thought as the needle charged down on my finger. I touched the ketone strip, and waited.

Surely it was time to kiss ketosis bye, bye:

2.3 mmol/L, really?

After eating as much protein as I could stomach, my ketones went up by 0.3 mmol/L from the day before. Not what I expected.

Day 4 to day 10: Eating as much protein as I want

Could my daily-protein limit be higher than the amount of protein I wanted to eat? Or perhaps my body was in need of extra protein after a weeks of eating too little?

To find out I decided to change the experiment.

Instead of forcing myself to eat more and more protein, I would eat all the protein I wanted to for a week, and see whether that would kick me out of optimal ketosis. If so, I would reduce my protein intake until I was back in.

So, every day for a week, I ate in the 80-130 grams of protein, and 10-20 grams of carbs, range – plus lots of fat of course. What happened to my blood-ketone levels?

They stayed around 2,0 mmol/L every morning – optimal ketosis.

These days: Few surprises

I’m still eating as much protein as I want, but I’m super strict with my carb intake – I keep it to maximum 20 grams a day almost every day.

To make sure I don’t drop out of ketosis without knowing, I measure my blood-ketone levels once a week. So far there’s been only one surprise – 0.5 mmol/L ketones the morning after I ate at a Lebanese restaurant near the Diet Doctor main office – probably some added sugar.

Dining out can be hard.

What I’ve learned from these experiments

The most important thing for optimal ketosis is to eat maximum 20 grams of carbs a day

A while back I found out I’d been lying to myself for years – I wasn’t really in ketosis. To understand why, I did an experiment and learned that I’d been eating too many carbs and possibly too much protein.

I immediately reduced my carb and protein intake to maximum 20 and 60 grams per day respectively, and boom – straight back into optimal ketosis.

But I didn’t love eating just 60 grams of protein. To find out how much more I could eat AND remain in optimal ketosis, I did the above protein experiment.

From this latest experiment, I’ve learned that I can likely eat 80-130 grams of protein a day for weeks, and possibly for way longer, without dropping out of optimal ketosis.

So, for me, the key to optimal ketosis is to restrict the intake of carbs to less than 20 grams of carbs a day.

Now, let’s talk about you.

How much protein can you eat in ketosis?

First note that far from everyone has to stay in optimal ketosis (1.5 – 3 mmol/L). Lots of people do fine on low carb without it. But staying close to that ketosis range may improve mental and physical performance, it often results in more weight loss and it can have certain other potential health benefits, like controlling epilepsy or migraine.

Here’s what Diet Doctor has to say about reaching optimal ketosis:

Restrict protein to moderate levels. If possible stay at or below 1 gram of protein per day, per kg of body weight (0.45 grams per pound). So about 70 grams of protein per day if you weigh 70 kilos (154 pounds).

It might be beneficial to lower protein intake even more, especially when overweight, and then aim for 1 gram of protein per kg of desired weight.

The most common mistake that stops people from reaching optimal ketosis is too much protein.

How much protein can you eat?

That depends.

But as this post indicates, I can eat significantly more protein and remain in optimal ketosis. Can you?

That depends.

If you, like me, are a 36-year old insulin-sensitive male, who weigh 152 pounds, exercise for 10-15 minutes five times a week, and have no history of obesity or diabetes, then possibly yes.

However, if you’re overweight and/or have high blood-sugar levels, then possibly no.

If you too want to eat more protein AND be in optimal ketosis, here are two things you can do:

A. Exercise more.

The more you exercise, the more protein your body needs – walking, running, and resistance training are all good options.

When you exercise more, you can increase your protein intake somewhat too. To make sure you don’t go overboard with protein, measure your blood-ketone levels frequently and adjust your protein intake accordingly.

Remember to keep your carb intake to maximum 20 grams a day.

B. Find your daily-protein limit for ketosis

Perhaps your daily-protein limit for staying in optimal ketosis is different from what Diet Doctor generally recommends?

To find out, do this:

1. Buy a blood-ketone meter with test strips (Diet Doctor does not make any money from you buying this).

2. Eat less than 20 grams of carbs a day for a week. Then, test your ketones first thing in the morning before eating anything.

3a. If your blood-ketone levels are at 1,5 mmol/L or above, increase your protein intake gradually over the next week. Measure your blood-ketone levels every morning and see what happens.

How many grams of protein can you eat per day before your ketone levels drop below 1.5 mmol/L? Eat a little less protein than that.

Keep measuring your ketones for a few days, and if you’re always in optimal ketosis, measure just once a week.

If you drop out of optimal ketosis, make sure you’re eating maximum 20 grams of carbs a day. If you already are, but your ketone levels are not in the optimal range, reduce your protein intake a little.

3b. If your blood-ketone levels are below 1.5 mmol/L, reduce your protein intake gradually over the next week. Measure your blood-ketone levels every morning and see what happens.

How much do you have to reduce your protein intake before your ketone levels rise above 1.5 mmol/L? Eat a little less protein than that *.

Keep measuring your ketones for a few days, and if you’re always in optimal ketosis, measure just once a week.

If you drop out of optimal ketosis, make sure you’re eating maximum 20 grams of carbs a day. If you already are, but your ketone levels are not in the optimal range, reduce your protein intake a little.

* We don’t recommend that you eat less than 0.4 grams of protein per pound of desired weight for long periods of time. You need protein.

Three follow-up questions

1. What would happen if I ate more than 135 grams of protein a day?

I don’t know.

I assume my blood-ketone levels would start dropping at the point when my body no longer needs all the protein it’s getting. At that point, it would likely convert the extra protein to glucose which would raise blood sugar and reduce blood-ketone levels.

I won’t test this anytime soon though as I don’t want to eat more protein than I’m doing now.

2. What would happen if I ate 80-135 grams of protein a day for months or years?

I don’t know.

I think doing so would keep me in optimal ketosis – that’s what the findings from this experiment indicate – but I won’t know the answer to this question for a while yet. I’ll keep measuring my ketones weekly and will give you an update later this year.

3. What would happen if I exercised less?

I don’t know.

I assume doing so could reduce my blood-ketone levels a little as my body would need less protein, but at what point that would happen I’m not sure.
Old 20-06-2017, 05:11 AM   #929
Master Member

https://www.dietdoctor.com/low-carb/fruits#top10

Top 10 Low-Carb Fruits

Let’s say you occasionally want to eat a fruit (or some berries) while still staying relatively low carb. What fruit would be the best choice?

Below, you’ll find the best options, ranked by grams of net carbs per serving (one medium-sized fruit or half a cup). The lowest-carbs options are at the top. All numbers are net carbs.1

1. Raspberries – Half a cup (60 grams) contains 3 grams of carbs.
2. Blackberries – Half a cup (70 grams) contains 4 grams of carbs.
3. Strawberries – Half a cup (100 grams) contains 6 grams of carbs.
4. Blueberries – Half a cup (50 grams) contains 6 grams of carbs.
5. Plum – One medium-sized (80 grams) contains 6 grams of carbs.
6. Clementine – One medium-sized (75 grams) contains 7 grams of carbs.
7. Kiwi – One medium-sized (70 grams) contains 8 grams of carbs.
8. Cherries – Half a cup (90 grams) contains 9 grams of carbs.
9. Cantaloupe – One cup (160 grams) contains 11 grams of carbs.
10. Peach – One medium-sized (150 grams) contains 13 grams of carbs.

As a comparison, a medium-sized orange {or even grapefruit} contains about 15 grams of carbs, a medium-sized apple about 18 grams and a medium-sized banana about 25 grams of carbs.

Pomegranates have about 7 grams of carbs per 100 g or 3,5 oz.

Last edited by kaypohchee; 20-06-2017 at 05:25 AM..
Old 20-06-2017, 05:20 AM   #930
High Supremacy Member

https://www.dietdoctor.com/low-carb/fruits#top10

Top 10 Low-Carb Fruits

Let’s say you occasionally want to eat a fruit (or some berries) while still staying relatively low carb. What fruit would be the best choice?

Below, you’ll find the best options, ranked by grams of net carbs per serving (one medium-sized fruit or half a cup). The lowest-carbs options are at the top. All numbers are net carbs.1

1. Raspberries – Half a cup (60 grams) contains 3 grams of carbs.
2. Blackberries – Half a cup (70 grams) contains 4 grams of carbs.
3. Strawberries – Half a cup (100 grams) contains 6 grams of carbs.
4. Blueberries – Half a cup (50 grams) contains 6 grams of carbs.
5. Plum – One medium-sized (80 grams) contains 6 grams of carbs.
6. Clementine – One medium-sized (75 grams) contains 7 grams of carbs.
7. Kiwi – One medium-sized (70 grams) contains 8 grams of carbs.
8. Cherries – Half a cup (90 grams) contains 9 grams of carbs.
9. Cantaloupe – One cup (160 grams) contains 11 grams of carbs.
10. Peach – One medium-sized (150 grams) contains 13 grams of carbs.

As a comparison, a medium-sized orange contains about 15 grams of carbs, a medium-sized apple about 18 grams and a medium-sized banana about 25 grams of carbs.
Good morning!

Sent from Xiaomi MI MAX using GAGT
Ange1cry is offline   Reply With Quote
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.