HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

PM Lee apologises to Singaporeans over dispute with siblings; to answer questions in Parliament on 3

Like Tree164Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 19-06-2017, 07:42 PM   #31
Supremacy Member

SINGAPORE: Prime Minister Lee Hsien Loong issued a statement on Monday (Jun 19), apologising to Singaporeans for the dispute between him and his siblings over the house of their late father, Mr Lee Kuan Yew, at 38 Oxley Road.

PM Lee said he deeply regrets that the dispute has affected the country's reputation and Singaporeans’ confidence in the Government, adding that the matter will not distract him and his Cabinet from governing Singapore.

The Prime Minister also said that he will make a ministerial statement to refute the allegations, when Parliament sits on Jul 3.

PM Lee's statement is reproduced below:

"Over the last week, Singaporeans have been disturbed and confused by news of the private dispute between my siblings and me. I deeply regret that this dispute has affected Singapore’s reputation and Singaporeans’ confidence in the Government.

Advertisement

As your Prime Minister, I apologise to you for this. And as the eldest of the siblings, it grieves me to think of the anguish that this would have caused our parents if they were still alive.

I had done everything possible to avoid this state of affairs. My father left the property at 38 Oxley Road to me as part of my equal share of his estate, but my siblings were not happy about this. I tried to deal with their unhappiness privately. I offered to transfer 38 Oxley Road to my sister for a nominal S$1. Unfortunately, that offer failed. I then sold the house to my brother at a fair market valuation, and donated all my proceeds to charity.

I had hoped that this would satisfy them. There should be no reason for any further quarrel, since I no longer own the house and I do not take part in any Government decisions on the house. However, my siblings have decided to go out and make serious allegations publicly. For example, they say that I am using my position as Prime Minister to influence the Ministerial Committee chaired by Deputy Prime Minister Teo Chee Hean. These allegations go beyond private and personal matters, and extend to the conduct of my office and the integrity of the Government.

Much as I would like to move on, and end a most unhappy experience for Singaporeans, these I deeply regret that this dispute has affected Singapore’s reputation and Singaporeans’ confidence in the Governmen. They must be and will be dealt with openly and refuted.

When Parliament sits on Jul 3, 2017, I will make a Ministerial Statement to refute the charges. All MPs will then have the opportunity to raise questions for themselves and their constituents. I have instructed that the PAP party whip be lifted. I urge all MPs, including the non-PAP MPs, to examine the issues thoroughly and question me and my Cabinet colleagues vigorously. I hope that this full, public airing in Parliament will dispel any doubts that have been planted and strengthen confidence in our institutions and our system of government.

I want to assure all Singaporeans that this matter will not distract me and my Cabinet colleagues from our responsibility to govern Singapore, and to deal with more important national issues, including the pressing economic and security challenges we face.

As public servants, my Ministers and I will always protect the integrity of our institutions, and uphold the strict standards separating private affairs from our public duties. We are determined to repair the damage that has been done to Singapore. We will continue to lead our nation and serve you to the best of our ability."
Source: CNA/gs
Read more at http://www.channelnewsasia.com/news/...ngs-to-8958868
Wow self pwn ownself again???
WhyNPNT likes this.
eclipsemints is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2017, 07:42 PM   #32
Arch-Supremacy Member

Pee And Poop ministers prepare questions which will make godLEE look good.

Non Pee And Poop ministers prepare questions that will make things difficult for Pee And... wait... HOW MANY NON-PAP MINISTERS ARE IN THERE???

Do we need to tune in to watch a 自編自導自演 show???
Ownself prepare question ownself answer. Jsm

WhyNPNT likes this.
fireal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2017, 07:42 PM   #33
Master Member

since all the allegations is not true .. and affects their reputation .. why never sue ?

be consistent with their actions .. if its not true then please sue ..
One Piece and WhyNPNT like this.
sizzy6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2017, 07:42 PM   #34
Arch-Supremacy Member

Dishonorable Lee playing with words again.

For example, he did not reveal that his offer of $1 dollar sale to his sister LWL came with certain conditions.

One Piece and WhyNPNT like this.
Meat Bao is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2017, 07:42 PM   #35

Everyone can ask difficult questions. according to their own conscience.

PAP very rarely lifts party whip. didn't even happen at the population white paper.
Laneige and WhyNPNT like this.
sCuzzZy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2017, 07:43 PM   #36
Great Supremacy Member

LTK can ask him difficult question?
dynasty lee ask ltk weather huan him step down due to wong kan seng error he oso neh reply
WhyNPNT likes this.
bastogne is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2017, 07:43 PM   #37
Great Supremacy Member

Means what ?????

Party will bring whip ?
Means his ka kia can openly question him without consequences

But anyone thinks that will happen?
WhyNPNT likes this.
steven jialat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2017, 07:43 PM   #38
Master Member

So is it a family dispute or not? Why is his family dispute being disputed in the Parliament? Will LHY and LWL be there?
WhyNPNT likes this.
rogerfederer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2017, 07:43 PM   #39
Supremacy Member

Pee And Poop ministers prepare questions which will make godLEE look good.

Non Pee And Poop ministers prepare questions that will make things difficult for Pee And... wait... HOW MANY NON-PAP MINISTERS ARE IN THERE???

Do we need to tune in to watch a 自編自導自演 show???
Wp mps cannot ask any questions because pap will accuse them of trying to score political points.
WhyNPNT likes this.
Soracak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2017, 07:43 PM   #40
High Supremacy Member

LTK can ask him difficult question?
Anyone can ask
Party whip will be removed
Will be v gd to see how the mps n ministers do
Hopefully don't see those yes n support comments from everyone

Oh n if someone can asked abt the AG thing if possible
On why that guy is asked to be. No more other gd candidates, younger n better?
WhyNPNT likes this.

Last edited by Laneige; 19-06-2017 at 07:47 PM..
Laneige is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2017, 07:43 PM   #41
High Supremacy Member

july 3 who dare miss parliament session?
Not interested at all. The minutes spent watching the wayang can be used for better things in my life.
WhyNPNT likes this.
Old 19-06-2017, 07:44 PM   #42
Master Member

U guys really believe it will be a no holds bar session?

LOL
WhyNPNT likes this.
Courage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2017, 07:44 PM   #43
Supremacy Member

ownself question ownself.
no misconduct found.

if WP question, sure tio shoot say this is a private issue.

No need wait till next month.
The verdict is no misconduct found. The allegations are untrue. We should be moving forward as one Singapore.
snowsakura, One Piece and WhyNPNT like this.
Old 19-06-2017, 07:44 PM   #44
Arch-Supremacy Member

Wa LTK hear Liao must be shiok
WhyNPNT likes this.
dxdx999 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2017, 07:44 PM   #45
High Supremacy Member

Wp mps cannot ask any questions because pap will accuse them of trying to score political points.
What about the other parties then???
WhyNPNT likes this.
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.