Where to make spectacle cheap cheap in Singapore???

EmPtYsOuLz

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I usually do mine at Bras Besah but found it to be more expensive lately
Looking to make a frame less tag, any place with good lobang?

oldbreadstinks

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
my eye sight degree is around 700-800. using nikon lenses, cost about $600+ , excluding the spec frames. Are there cheaper alternatives without much compromise in quality?

not really, there are cheaper alternatives but all come with some draw back .
coating clarity
coating toughness
smooth coat quality

I've always worn more premium lenses (teflon) so I cannot comment on non branded lenses where personal usage is concern but those who switch down tend to commonly feedback the following

lens yellowing easily
scratches
clarity
lens smudges more easily

oldbreadstinks

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I pop by 2 neighborhood shops just to look around. . They offered eye check (using a machine) free of charge.

I did it without buying anything.

machine tests are not accurate

if you really want an accurate test just book an appointment at snec

if your eyes arent worth them much to you , book an appointment with a trainee optometrist then at SP optometry center dover or their west coast outlet :s22:

oldbreadstinks

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply.
I've never worn any glasses before, and am considering computer lens as I'm experiencing blur vision during computer use.

Through reading some articles, it seems that many such lenses seem to be tinted yellow/blue. Since I'm using a color calibrated monitor, I was wondering whether the color I see will no longer be "accurate".
I would dread having yellow-tinted whites due to lens.

eh... this may be somewhat problematic because yellow blocks out blue light, so if you're getting a computer lens to block out blue light , chances are it's slightly yellow .
so the yellow tint is obvious and noticeable just that people usually get used to it.

as for your blur vision...... probably not related to computer lenses

oldbreadstinks

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hoya Len is it a gd Len ?

"hoya lens" have a lot of different lenses
generally no one says they're lousy. the hard coat is one of the toughest in the market .
ignoring everything else if you consider hardcoat alone and scratch resistance, that's the brand I usually recommend

oldbreadstinks

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Now i know why owndays is doing such prosperous business and opening one new outlet after another, simply becuz there are people out there who choose to believe they are cheap n good. Their no brand frames cost no more than 15usd(check price of similar frames on aliexpress or ebay) while people actually believe all the bullcrap about their lens are made and flown in from japan.

according to what I heard it's asahi lens they're using
it's a japanese lens, and they do ship it in, I don't know if all their lenses are from japan but some definitely are .

they are not the cheapest in the market , owndays never claimed that . their business model is to provide a simple formula to sell glasses . they never claimed their frames or lenses are better than anyone else nor cheaper .
I just did a -3.50 cyl lens for $70, if requirements are low , frame could even be thrown in .

what they compete on is bringing a japanese way of life and buying things over, to create a conveyer belt-esque selling style like that hair cutting salons where you buy a card first
there are still cheaper $5 hair cuts in the neighbourhood, but assuming you like to get your hair cut in a mall, they're a pretty reasonable priced chain

if you have a taste for better designs/lenses/haircuts
there are still other shops offering retail lenses, hair washes ....etc

EmPtYsOuLz

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
machine tests are not accurate

if you really want an accurate test just book an appointment at snec

if your eyes arent worth them much to you , book an appointment with a trainee optometrist then at SP optometry center dover or their west coast outlet :s22:

How much for an optometrist test or routine checkup at SNEC without referral?
edit: Just saw the rate card, about $100
Does the general eye examination provide the eyewear prescription at the end of the appointment?

Last edited:

vee4044

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Thanks for ur advise. I did mine in JB, they say Hoya is a gd brand.

darkmilk

Reaction score
Can someone help me to ID this spectacle, I will be very grateful! :) Both of the pictures are the same spectacle.
zJOsHcK.png

wSrdvwh.png

ferocity

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
thanks for sharing, but i like to feel it before buying. you know any shop where i can try and similar price range?

You can just purchase the lens voucher first, make an appointment with them n then go down to take a look at their range of frames available. They have a policy of refunding the full cost of the voucher to you if you find that their range of frames are not to your liking. Their service is good and they also did not try to hard sell me anything when i was there. But like i mentioned previously, their range of frames are very very limited and their "shop" is located in a pretty ulu place. Do google for their website or do a search on qoo10 to find out more.

ferocity

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
How much for an optometrist test or routine checkup at SNEC without referral?
edit: Just saw the rate card, about $100
Does the general eye examination provide the eyewear prescription at the end of the appointment?

Just go for an appointment at Nee Ann poly optometry center. Comprehensive test done by the trainees/students, supervised by lecturers and results have to be cleared by the lecturers before being released to you. Costs $5 for general public.
Ngee Ann Polytechnic Optometry Centre Online Appointment Booking Form

ferocity

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
according to what I heard it's asahi lens they're using
it's a japanese lens, and they do ship it in, I don't know if all their lenses are from japan but some definitely are .

....etc

The thing is, whenever a thread asking for cheap spectacle pops up, Owndays get recommended in an instant. Yes, on paper $98 all in seems really attractive, but nobody bothers to mention the caveats. $98 is only for 1.60 index lens and their range of $98 frames are limited and mainly suited for females. If you choose their cheapest ultem frame, which costs $168 irrc, upgrade to my preferred 1.67 index due to my degree, opt for blue light cut coating, total cost would run to $168 + $100 + $100 = $368. At this price, you can get a whole lot more quality from your nan yangs and your spectacle huts. But hey, since you said what they selling is a "japanese way of life" then maybe thats the price you pay.

People who are looking for something similar to ownaday might wanna to take a look at Optics House. Japanese brand, same all-in price system but based on what i have seen, at least their frames seem to be of better quality than what owndays have to offer.

Last edited:

wind.wind

Reaction score
The thing is, whenever a thread asking for cheap spectacle pops up, Owndays get recommended in an instant. Yes, on paper $98 all in seems really attractive, but nobody bothers to mention the caveats. $98 is only for 1.60 index lens and their range of $98 frames are limited and mainly suited for females. If you choose their cheapest ultem frame, which costs $168 irrc, upgrade to my preferred 1.67 index due to my degree, opt for blue light cut coating, total cost would run to $168 + $100 + $100 = $368. At this price, you can get a whole lot more quality from your nan yangs and your spectacle huts. But hey, since you said what they selling is a "japanese way of life" then maybe thats the price you pay.

agree bro, their problem is the options, any option need to top-up 100.

I want 2 option, if choosing 178 package then final is 378, not attractive at all

Asure7

Master Member
Reaction score
May I know what do "Axis" and "VA" mean ?
Googled and didn't understand :s11:

k3dW40ErgTI9YMm-Z1OZTXZBMTcpmfpWzYwt7dU4xg=w1571-h270-no

Last edited:

wind.wind

Reaction score
Sasalicious wrote:

i did mine at this shop

14 Scotts Road #01-47 Far east plaza
Singapore 228213

$88! unless ur degree v high, need ultra thin lens then add additional $50..

service v good!

today checked the above shop, for normal lens their package is about 88 - 180, price quite ok

i checked the 180 package, when ask 1.67 lens need to add 70 so total 250, when add progressive 1.67 lens the price become 458, if i want to add transition need to top up another 100 so final price become 558, not cheap at all.

btw the lady boss told me their lans is jap visaview

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.