HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

Breaking the Letter Of Commitment With Recruitment Agency

Share This Page
HardwareZone.com on Facebook

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-08-2017, 10:53 AM   #16
Master Member

recently i signed a contract with a job agency for 3 months n to start 8 hour work, 5 day week in mid aug. however i have a change of mind coz i didnt know that my work location would change every week. i am paid $8 hourly rate. the notice period is 3 day notice and an additional processing fee of $600.
Do i have to pay $600? any advice will be appreciated, thanks

Last edited by davekee; 09-08-2017 at 11:50 AM..
davekee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2017, 03:44 PM   #17
Supremacy Member

Do you mean once you quit, you needs to pay processing fee of $600? If yes, does it state in the contract?

To add on, is this a contract of service or contract for service?

recently i signed a contract with a job agency for 3 months n to start 8 hour work, 5 day week in mid aug. however i have a change of mind coz i didnt know that my work location would change every week. i am paid $8 hourly rate. the notice period is 3 day notice and an additional processing fee of $600.
Old 09-08-2017, 10:55 PM   #18
Master Member

Do you mean once you quit, you needs to pay processing fee of $600? If yes, does it state in the contract?

To add on, is this a contract of service or contract for service?
1.yes it is stated that i have to work for 3 months.

2.contract of service

Last edited by davekee; 09-08-2017 at 11:03 PM..
Old 09-08-2017, 11:14 PM   #19
Supremacy Member

No. And if they deduct your pay or something for this $600 just go MOM. Bao jiak.

Sent from The Kana Sue Until Pants Drop Guy using GAGT
georgemcics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2017, 12:23 AM   #20
Supremacy Member

Then it is easy because you are an employee of recruitment firm.

Just give them 3 days notice & if they demand you to pay $600, just inform them that you will log the case with MOM.

If they still threaten you, the most you just ignore them after giving them 3 days notice & they will not hand over your salary which is less then $600. Then log a complaint with MOM & MOM will force them to meet up with you to pay you back your salary. Remember to inform MOM that you are not told that your work location would change every week & it was not stated in your contract.

1.yes it is stated that i have to work for 3 months.

2.contract of service
Old 10-08-2017, 12:27 AM   #21

Your attitude is bad. At least handover. Make the life of the next person taking over easier. Pity that person.
Both positions are just temp jobs that anyone can do
No handover involved
banana_usagi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2017, 10:27 AM   #22
Master Member

Any more advice? thanks
Old 10-08-2017, 11:24 PM   #23

Unhappy

Hi friends,

I just wanna check with you guys if a recruitment agency can file a small claim against me just because i took too long to complete the CEI exam? I'll try to break it down into point form cuz its alittle hard to explain.

1. "If you withdraw your employment or are terminated by the Company before your confirmation of employment, you shall pay the entire course fees."

2. The company decided to drop me after 4 months and demand a collection of fees they have paid in advance for me.

3. I went for the CEI exam for 5 times and did not pass.

----------

I kinda feel exploited because the company actually decided to drop me. They didnt even state a deadline for me to pass the exam before i'm being dropped. So i was wondering if i should just go SCT to fight it out or just wuss out and pay that course fee
blurryfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 02:25 AM   #24
Master Member

seems like most employment agencies are shady scums.
sartorial is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 03:23 PM   #25

Nowadays still have agency having clauses of need to fulfill min months? Not against the law meh? Unless you taking advance pay or go for sponsor course which cost quite a lot, they have no right to demand you working for min months.

Just use MOM to scare them off. But do not waste your time asking MOM coz they will just said that is contractual blah blah blah, they will not tell you anything useful.
lifeishard is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 03:34 PM   #26

It depends on the wording of the contract. I'd say you have a case if you can prove there was no effort on the agent and company's part to convey to you, pre-contract, on the constant shifting of locations.

You can look for a (not so expensive) corporate lawyer to give you more advice; just let him/her vet through the contract. I'd say it's worth the money (maybe $100+) instead of having to sit through a few months of unhappiness.
ocping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 03:36 PM   #27

Nowadays still have agency having clauses of need to fulfill min months? Not against the law meh? Unless you taking advance pay or go for sponsor course which cost quite a lot, they have no right to demand you working for min months.

Just use MOM to scare them off. But do not waste your time asking MOM coz they will just said that is contractual blah blah blah, they will not tell you anything useful.
Which law states that companies and recruitment agencies cannot impose minimum stay periods? MOM is right ; it is based on the contract. If you had access to the contract and signed knowingly, then you are bound by the express consent which you have given to the contract.

The validity of the contract is held as long as it does not break laws and there is consideration given by both sides. OP contracted to provide service in exchange for money, company/agent contracted to give money in exchange for work done. Contract is valid.

Last edited by ocping; 11-08-2017 at 03:38 PM..
ocping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 07:31 PM   #28

Which law states that companies and recruitment agencies cannot impose minimum stay periods? MOM is right ; it is based on the contract. If you had access to the contract and signed knowingly, then you are bound by the express consent which you have given to the contract.

The validity of the contract is held as long as it does not break laws and there is consideration given by both sides. OP contracted to provide service in exchange for money, company/agent contracted to give money in exchange for work done. Contract is valid.
Unfair contract is not valid in singapore, it doesn't have to break the law. Likewise, which law states that min stay period is legal? How to define unfair contract? For eg, contract states employee Must work for min 3 months else compensate salary in lieu BUT did not state similarly that employer needs to maintain employment of the employee else compensate employee 3 months of salary in lieu too. In contrast, it is fair (therefore legal & enforceable) that each party can terminate each other by either gives 1 month notice or pay 1 month salary in lieu.

Another eg, employee signed a contract that if he leave the company, he cannot work in the same industry for a long period of time for eg 2years. Not all contract signed is enforceable in singapore but not everyone knows it.

Do you know there was a case that a couple in here fought recruit express and won? Not very sure if it ever went to court but conclusion is the employee won. She needs not pay compensation to recruit express.

Some employers knew their clause is not enforceable but still put in contract to 'play scare' whereas some really thought they can anyhow put anything in contract.

You try signing a pre nuptial agreement with your wife and see if you can held that up in singapore court or not lor.

Last edited by lifeishard; 11-08-2017 at 07:50 PM..
lifeishard is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2017, 09:15 AM   #29
Master Member

more input are welc!
Old 14-08-2017, 10:24 PM   #30
Supremacy Member

Hi friends,

I just wanna check with you guys if a recruitment agency can file a small claim against me just because i took too long to complete the CEI exam? I'll try to break it down into point form cuz its alittle hard to explain.

1. "If you withdraw your employment or are terminated by the Company before your confirmation of employment, you shall pay the entire course fees."

2. The company decided to drop me after 4 months and demand a collection of fees they have paid in advance for me.

3. I went for the CEI exam for 5 times and did not pass.

----------

I kinda feel exploited because the company actually decided to drop me. They didnt even state a deadline for me to pass the exam before i'm being dropped. So i was wondering if i should just go SCT to fight it out or just wuss out and pay that course fee
Cannot file sct.

This is not under sct jurisdiction

They can only go MOM. Depending how you fight the case.
The chance of them failing to get anything from you is 80% high.

Bao jiak one actually

Sent from The Kana Sue Until Pants Drop Guy using GAGT
georgemcics is offline   Reply With Quote
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.