HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

Breaking the Letter Of Commitment With Recruitment Agency

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 13-07-2017, 09:13 AM   #1

Breaking the Letter Of Commitment With Recruitment Agency

I applied for a permanent position with company A, BGC the recruitment agency was the third party company that helped company A to source for candidates. So I responded to a job posting on jobstreet posted by BGC, I went for the interview and was selected for the job.

So I have a contract with company A that I signed and I also have a letter of commitment with BGC that I signed.

Anyways I have started on the job with company A, but I find that the job is not suitable for me. There are a few reasons (including the agency and the company not being very truthful with the job description) but I would rather keep this post short.

Basically my contract with company A states that I only have to give them one month's notice failing which I have to compensate 1 month's salary. But my letter of commitment states that I cannot resign within 3 months, if I do I will have to compensate BGC 1 month's salary. I fully intend to serve the 1 month's notice period with company A but as the 3 months period has not passed I will still need to compensate BGC.

So what can I do about this. I really cannot hold on for the full 3 months. has anyone broken the letter of commitment with the agency after giving the required notice as per contract with the company. Did the agency make you pay? Can BGC make me pay? Will they send a lawyer's letter or send someone from a collection agency to knock on my door to serve the lawyers letter. Can they sue me in small claims court?

Any help is greatly appreciated
ttan775 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2017, 12:37 PM   #2
Supremacy Member

I applied for a permanent position with company A, BGC the recruitment agency was the third party company that helped company A to source for candidates. So I responded to a job posting on jobstreet posted by BGC, I went for the interview and was selected for the job.

So I have a contract with company A that I signed and I also have a letter of commitment with BGC that I signed.

Anyways I have started on the job with company A, but I find that the job is not suitable for me. There are a few reasons (including the agency and the company not being very truthful with the job description) but I would rather keep this post short.

Basically my contract with company A states that I only have to give them one month's notice failing which I have to compensate 1 month's salary. But my letter of commitment states that I cannot resign within 3 months, if I do I will have to compensate BGC 1 month's salary. I fully intend to serve the 1 month's notice period with company A but as the 3 months period has not passed I will still need to compensate BGC.

So what can I do about this. I really cannot hold on for the full 3 months. has anyone broken the letter of commitment with the agency after giving the required notice as per contract with the company. Did the agency make you pay? Can BGC make me pay? Will they send a lawyer's letter or send someone from a collection agency to knock on my door to serve the lawyers letter. Can they sue me in small claims court?

Compensate accordingly.
qhong61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2017, 12:38 PM   #3
Supremacy Member

Wad job how much celery
kannis_ng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2017, 12:58 PM   #4
Supremacy Member

Speak to a lawyer because company & agency are not truthful with job description since you cannot wait for 3 months period. No matter what, you still needs to pay.

I have similar cases as you. One of them is company 'unethical' & I just wait after 3 months & resign immediately.

Another one is I turn up at workplace & Hiring Director (there are 3 owners & 1 of them is the Hiring Director) say will give me the letter of service to me by end of the day. I call the agency to keep agent in the loop.

I waited for my 'mentor' in a 'gathering area' where other technical staffs are in there. I found out all are not given payslip & some do not even have letter of service. Then I follow my 'mentor' for a day. End of the day, Hiring Director say he is busy & have not do my letter of service yet. So he hope I can give him some time & he try to give me the next day.

I reach home (since staying near workplace), I sms him that I am not interested to take up this position & will not turn up for work the next day. The next day, agent call me up & I share with them the reason(s) that I have written here. Agent threaten me to pay them compensation or else they sue me in court. Then their Agency letter (draft like lawyer letter) come & seek compensation. I go to my law lecturer's law firm to seek his advice (FOC) & his say that they have no case. Agent harass me again & I share that I seek legal advice and my lawyer say they have no case. Agent hang my phone & end of story. However that agency never call me up again when I apply jobs online with them.

Old 13-07-2017, 01:22 PM   #5
Supremacy Member

Speak to a lawyer because company & agency are not truthful with job description since you cannot wait for 3 months period. No matter what, you still needs to pay.

I have similar cases as you. One of them is company 'unethical' & I just wait after 3 months & resign immediately.

Another one is I turn up at workplace & Hiring Director (there are 3 owners & 1 of them is the Hiring Director) say will give me the letter of service to me by end of the day. I call the agency to keep agent in the loop.

I waited for my 'mentor' in a 'gathering area' where other technical staffs are in there. I found out all are not given payslip & some do not even have letter of service. Then I follow my 'mentor' for a day. End of the day, Hiring Director say he is busy & have not do my letter of service yet. So he hope I can give him some time & he try to give me the next day.

I reach home (since staying near workplace), I sms him that I am not interested to take up this position & will not turn up for work the next day. The next day, agent call me up & I share with them the reason(s) that I have written here. Agent threaten me to pay them compensation or else they sue me in court. Then their Agency letter (draft like lawyer letter) come & seek compensation. I go to my law lecturer's law firm to seek his advice (FOC) & his say that they have no case. Agent harass me again & I share that I seek legal advice and my lawyer say they have no case. Agent hang my phone & end of story. However that agency never call me up again when I apply jobs online with them.
Blacklisted by them.
Old 13-07-2017, 06:03 PM   #6
High Supremacy Member

Did you try to negotiate a term with the recruitment company? E.g. To stay till a replacement found and serve the 1 mth notice?
Also try to explain to them why you found the job not suitable, I was in same situation before and have negotiated a term with the recruitment firm.
Laguna123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2017, 09:12 AM   #7

Can I ask when your law lecturer says the agency has no case, is it because in your case the company never give you the letter of service or because the agency really has no case. did you have a contract with the agency or a letter of commitment.
Old 20-07-2017, 09:16 AM   #8

Did you try to negotiate a term with the recruitment company? E.g. To stay till a replacement found and serve the 1 mth notice?
Also try to explain to them why you found the job not suitable, I was in same situation before and have negotiated a term with the recruitment firm.
I have tried, I told them i will serve one month's notice so they can find a replacement for me. I also told them the remaining months in the commitment letter I can serve with one of their other clients as I know employment agency have a lot of short term temp jobs. But the consultant get back to me she says she check with management and they say no, i have to pay the placement fee if resign within 3 months.
Old 20-07-2017, 12:27 PM   #9
Supremacy Member

I did sign the 'letter of commitment' with agency before job interview.

However there is no case since I did not sign letter of service with employer (No agreement from my side) because the employer did not even offer me any letter of service to sign (No offering from employer side). So there is nothing the agency can do.

Can I ask when your law lecturer says the agency has no case, is it because in your case the company never give you the letter of service or because the agency really has no case. did you have a contract with the agency or a letter of commitment.
Old 20-07-2017, 12:33 PM   #10
Supremacy Member

On your part, you are on the losing end. So bear with it for 3 months or pay them compensation.

But since EA drag you down, complaint to MOM for investigation. If EA found guilty, they will get demerit points.

Once they get demerit points due to their fault, engage a lawyer (if you are rich & too free with lot of time) to sue EA for compensation.

I have tried, I told them i will serve one month's notice so they can find a replacement for me. I also told them the remaining months in the commitment letter I can serve with one of their other clients as I know employment agency have a lot of short term temp jobs. But the consultant get back to me she says she check with management and they say no, i have to pay the placement fee if resign within 3 months.
Old 07-08-2017, 08:31 AM   #11

Just want to up my post to get more responses from those who have experienced similar circumstances.
Old 07-08-2017, 11:59 PM   #12
Master Member

I share with you my personal experiences...

1. Applied for a job through another job agency, worked for their client for less than 1 month, decided it was too tough and more than what i should do so i just mia-ed. When signing contract with agency that time got a clause which says I need to compensate forgot hw many mths of salary if i quit before completion, agent at 1st keep contacting me but i just bo hiew. End up the job agent give up and also no legal action taken against me.

2. Worked for this company with a super guailan manager for 1 day, very pissed by her and decided i dun wan to have to put up with her for the full 6 months. Next day i just dun turn up for work, after a while their HR dept contacted me and demanded 1 month salary as compensation. I also just bo hiew, then they llst nv contact me already

Moral of the story: Unless the agency/company really super gei gao, and don't mind spending money (which is probably more than ur salary) to seek legal action, just ignore them.
banana_usagi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2017, 08:02 AM   #13

thanks for sharing your experience, I appreciate it.
Old 08-08-2017, 10:40 AM   #14
Supremacy Member

I share with you my personal experiences...

1. Applied for a job through another job agency, worked for their client for less than 1 month, decided it was too tough and more than what i should do so i just mia-ed. When signing contract with agency that time got a clause which says I need to compensate forgot hw many mths of salary if i quit before completion, agent at 1st keep contacting me but i just bo hiew. End up the job agent give up and also no legal action taken against me.

2. Worked for this company with a super guailan manager for 1 day, very pissed by her and decided i dun wan to have to put up with her for the full 6 months. Next day i just dun turn up for work, after a while their HR dept contacted me and demanded 1 month salary as compensation. I also just bo hiew, then they llst nv contact me already

Moral of the story: Unless the agency/company really super gei gao, and don't mind spending money (which is probably more than ur salary) to seek legal action, just ignore them.
Your attitude is bad. At least handover. Make the life of the next person taking over easier. Pity that person.
Old 08-08-2017, 11:13 AM   #15
Arch-Supremacy Member

I suggest that you speak to your superior on this (especially your intention due to the difference on JD), it will be easier for hirer to terminate on their side than you. (confirmation windows period)
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.