HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

Career Path advise

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 29-09-2017, 11:50 AM   #16
Supremacy Member

I already share with you about my view for Professional Conversion Programme (PCP) for IT System Administrator/Technical Support Engineer in this thread & PCP for other professions such as PCP for Registered Nurses in PM. This is like a 'trained and placed' Programme.

Not all PCP will lead you to have a qualification certificate. For example, PCP for Complex Equipment Engineer. It is just a 6 months OJT. This is like a 'placed and trained' Programme.

Then another type of 'placed and trained' Programme is PCP Technical Sales Engineer/Manager. It is also a 6 months OJT but force the employer to sent you for 4 useless short courses in training school.

So to me, some PCP are scams such as IT System Administrator/Technical Support Engineer. You pay yourself for the course to get TRAINED but end up no employer (Where the PLACED part), what kind of PCP is that?

Well, i am not entirely sure of everything (since i am new to this PCP programme thing) - but i really thought i was going to be sponsored by the company that will be hiring me - (that was my initial understanding)

But apparently after signing those forms on the course, my consultant went MIA and did not reply me for 1 month on my queries until i went over to Lithan to withdraw from my course after much consideration on the lack of explanation. Everything is just so misleading.

Anyway, they provided me with the course summary breakdown below.

Everything seems like a gimmick to me in my opinion.

But you know what? I don't know if i made the right decision to withdraw from the course because i really want to get into IT. Darn, i dunno what is right or wrong anymore.

I mean, this is the government PCP programme right? Is this even legit LOL?
Give me your opinion on this.

http://www.wsg.gov.sg/programmes-and...upport-en.html

Advanced Certificate in IT (EIT) – 5 months duration / 3 session per week @ 3hrs minimum.
Course fee after WDA 50% funding would be $4230. You may use your PSEA account to offset this fee. (before signing the form, the consultant told me they will not withdraw the money from my PSEA account until i officially start the course, but i went to check it a few weeks back and they already withdrew them from my PSEA account. After that, they told me it was to lock down the money - or stuff like that...not to sure if i can believe them anymore..)

Professional Diploma in System Support (PDSS) – 9 months duration
Course fee is $12,500. You will be undergoing PCP scheme arranged by us.

Pearson Level 5 HND in Computing & System Development + NBIT awarded by Victora University
Course fee is $23,500. The fees payable by either the company or candidate would be $1100 after funding and exemption
Old 09-10-2017, 05:09 PM   #17

Thanks all for the reply.
Truly appreciate it, apologize for the late reply. Been real busy again.

Anyway, Kyoji, just an update.
There is a place and train part. But it is only after completing the 5 months course duration ( which i would need to pay with my PSEA account $4230) - This is an advance certificate on IT or something they call it...

The diploma will be sponsored by the company (place and train).

Kind of confusing anyway, i thought it was supposed to be sponsored by all the company... But anyway, i withdrew from it because it's very shady and the explanation is really unclear - They told me they will refund me the money in 6 days but i have not receive it yet.

Now i am contemplating to get a second degree in IT to get into the IT industry.

Think it's a good idea?

I really tried to think of a reason to stay in the logistic and supply chain career but i can't think of any reason.
cold10me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2017, 06:52 PM   #18
Supremacy Member

Then just do it! All the best to you!

There is a place and train part. But it is only after completing the 5 months course duration ( which i would need to pay with my PSEA account $4230) - This is an advance certificate on IT or something they call it...

Kind of confusing anyway, i thought it was supposed to be sponsored by all the company... But anyway, i withdrew from it because it's very shady and the explanation is really unclear - They told me they will refund me the money in 6 days but i have not receive it yet.

Now i am contemplating to get a second degree in IT to get into the IT industry.

Think it's a good idea?

I really tried to think of a reason to stay in the logistic and supply chain career but i can't think of any reason.
Old 09-10-2017, 07:26 PM   #19
Supremacy Member

Think it's a good idea?

the academy nonsense.. there is a path which company sponsor u. meaning they place u first then train. cos my company has one such person.

I don't know how much you are earning now but if you do not mind starting from a low position (Around $1800 pay only), it is not that difficult to find a IT helpdesk/support job actually at that kind of pay. And most of them don't need to see your diploma/degree, you just need to show that you are a bit IT-savvy and they will accept you (like give examples of how you troubleshoot your own PC, know about device manager, how to check IP of your PC, basic stuff, etc).

Personally I think it is too early for you to get an IT degree, because even for an IT degree there is a lot of specializations.. It is better for you to work first to find out where your interest really lies before spending the money and time to further your studies.
havetheveryfun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2017, 02:25 AM   #20

I kinda inspired to be a network engineer.

I read up a lot on it but but what worries me is the programming part.
As you know i don't have any relevant IT background but i am willing to learn.
(i know it's not mandatory but its a good skill to have when the employer is hiring)

I am fine with basic computer trouble shooting and routing issue (google teaches everything) - i sometimes troubleshoot my own PC and routers.

I am okay with 24/7 standby or shift hours.

I am considering to take a part time degree with a double major in information security and business information system while finding employment in IT helpdesk (for starters). But i will be like 30 years old once i completed my studies and i wonder if it's going to be hard to get into the role.

I also have some concern on the age discrimination in the IT industry that i have heard before. Seems like towards a certain age, people tend to get replaced. I wonder if it's true?

Just a few hours back, i had a debate with my parent on the choice i should make and they told me, "why not stick in the logistic and supply chain role for another 2 years"?

Quite frankly, i am torn between the decision i have to make. I don't know if i should just stay or leave the current career path i am in (logistic and supply chain), if i were to leave my current path, will my new career path be feasible for me when i am 30 years old and will i be able to progress from there? Or if i stay in my current career path, will i be able to progress further?

I made some pretty bad decision in my life on my career path, kinda hope i will make a correct decision this time..LOL
Old 12-10-2017, 09:37 AM   #21
Supremacy Member

I kinda inspired to be a network engineer.

I read up a lot on it but but what worries me is the programming part.
As you know i don't have any relevant IT background but i am willing to learn.
(i know it's not mandatory but its a good skill to have when the employer is hiring)

I am fine with basic computer trouble shooting and routing issue (google teaches everything) - i sometimes troubleshoot my own PC and routers.

I am okay with 24/7 standby or shift hours.

I am considering to take a part time degree with a double major in information security and business information system while finding employment in IT helpdesk (for starters). But i will be like 30 years old once i completed my studies and i wonder if it's going to be hard to get into the role.

I also have some concern on the age discrimination in the IT industry that i have heard before. Seems like towards a certain age, people tend to get replaced. I wonder if it's true?

Just a few hours back, i had a debate with my parent on the choice i should make and they told me, "why not stick in the logistic and supply chain role for another 2 years"?

Quite frankly, i am torn between the decision i have to make. I don't know if i should just stay or leave the current career path i am in (logistic and supply chain), if i were to leave my current path, will my new career path be feasible for me when i am 30 years old and will i be able to progress from there? Or if i stay in my current career path, will i be able to progress further?

I made some pretty bad decision in my life on my career path, kinda hope i will make a correct decision this time..LOL
u think too much. there are many roles in IT that doesn't require programming knowledge, and network engineer is one. You might have to understand how to read basic code though sometimes and need to be able to think logically.

If you are very, very, very sure that you don't want to continue in your current career path, then you should consider to change now rather than later. Unless your parents is asking you to continue for another 2 years so that you can save up enough money in case the IT thing doesn't work out for you. Or that your current job is paying well then it might be better to complete your part time degree first while in your current job, then use that degree to find a better job.. because IT helpdesk really pays very low.

As for age discrimination, you face it everywhere.. I don't think it's just in IT. Even in your current industry I believe you have seen it too.

Sometimes just have to take calculated risks and just do it.... easy to say I know but hard to do..but if you do not have any commitments then it is the best time to do it(if don't really need to give parents allowance for them to survive, no debts to pay, etc).. I also made a lot of wrong decisions in the past (study the wrong degree, stay in same company because of counter offer, jumped to a wrong company, etc)...
Old 12-10-2017, 10:17 AM   #22
Arch-Supremacy Member

hello cold10me, I am exactly the opposite from you. I graduated with DIT diploma and then venture into SCM (degree). Currently working in Aviation supply chain and I enjoy it. My recommendation to you will be to explore the SAP modules (which is IT linked)... , projtects, roll out etc

If you go into IT support, I think its GG. (Just my opinion)
Old 12-10-2017, 10:31 AM   #23
Supremacy Member

hello cold10me, I am exactly the opposite from you. I graduated with DIT diploma and then venture into SCM (degree). Currently working in Aviation supply chain and I enjoy it. My recommendation to you will be to explore the SAP modules (which is IT linked)... , projtects, roll out etc

yes IT support not for everyone and pay very low.. but if got no IT related background then the best place to start as a stepping stone. But if going to study degree already, can try to aim for higher level positions
Old 12-10-2017, 01:31 PM   #24
Supremacy Member

From my observation, there are limited jobs in SAP. To add on, they are mostly hold by foreigners with low wages & long hours. Some even require you to do sale.

Old 12-10-2017, 06:29 PM   #25

You are really lucky ralliart_ray, it's a hard industry to get in.

Ya, i don't want to get into SAP job, i mean, it's cool and stuff.. I know... but it's mostly foreigner and i don't even see any Singaporean in any company that i have went.

Anyway, i am thinking of being a network engineer and hopefully as time progresses i wish to get into the field of IT security.

Yeah, i know the pay is low when starting up as an IT support, but it's a progression thing and i think it will get better once i clocked the amount of years. (correct me if i am wrong)

In the logistic and supply chain role, It's really competitive and some don't even need a degree to enter the field, it's just the number of years experience, it seems like anyone can replace me in this career not to mention it is also filled with foreigners from time to time.

Whereas, comparing to the role of a network/system engineer/administrator or security engineer/analyst/consultant, from time to time, i still see some advertisement on
"Singaporean/PR only". - It's kinda relieving. LOL

Time to time when i look at the amount of people applying for the logistic and supply chain role vs the amount of people applying for a role in IT (Jobstreet), the applicants are like 3 times more. It's really scary...

There was a time when logistic and supply chain was a great career and that was the time i took the degree, but after the completion of the degree, that career path went down the drain for some reason.

Anyway, i am still open for suggestion and discussion over this.

I feel like going down next week to apply for the course and i really hope this is a good decision for my part. it's gonna burn a big hole in my saving

Last edited by cold10me; 12-10-2017 at 06:31 PM..
Old 12-10-2017, 09:15 PM   #26
Arch-Supremacy Member

From my observation, there are limited jobs in SAP. To add on, they are mostly hold by foreigners with low wages & long hours. Some even require you to do sale.
Maybe you are right, but my company for example. SAP team is about 5pax, all Singaporeans doing support/ improvement.

You are really lucky ralliart_ray, it's a hard industry to get in.

Ya, i don't want to get into SAP job, i mean, it's cool and stuff.. I know... but it's mostly foreigner and i don't even see any Singaporean in any company that i have went.

Anyway, i am thinking of being a network engineer and hopefully as time progresses i wish to get into the field of IT security.

Yeah, i know the pay is low when starting up as an IT support, but it's a progression thing and i think it will get better once i clocked the amount of years. (correct me if i am wrong)

In the logistic and supply chain role, It's really competitive and some don't even need a degree to enter the field, it's just the number of years experience, it seems like anyone can replace me in this career not to mention it is also filled with foreigners from time to time.

Whereas, comparing to the role of a network/system engineer/administrator or security engineer/analyst/consultant, from time to time, i still see some advertisement on
"Singaporean/PR only". - It's kinda relieving. LOL

Time to time when i look at the amount of people applying for the logistic and supply chain role vs the amount of people applying for a role in IT (Jobstreet), the applicants are like 3 times more. It's really scary...

There was a time when logistic and supply chain was a great career and that was the time i took the degree, but after the completion of the degree, that career path went down the drain for some reason.

Anyway, i am still open for suggestion and discussion over this.

I feel like going down next week to apply for the course and i really hope this is a good decision for my part. it's gonna burn a big hole in my saving
Lucky, maybe yes, but in life you need 伯乐. Be open.

Anyway for SAP, I meant that you have to become a subject matter expert being a key user in the SAP modules you use. (APO, SD, MM etc)... from there you can branch out , in project management / deployment etc. (which is quite IT to me)... or becomes a consultant etc....

Back to Supply Chain, it is a big part, from procurement/sourcing to planning to logistics delivery to warehouse and running the shows etc. So you need to see where is your real interest. If IT is really is your single cup of tea, take that leap of faith and go with it. I can only say I dont cut for IT but my DIT did lay a strong foundation, (concepts, being IT savvy, understand the IT lingo etc)

Whats your current jobscope? dreading work everyday?

Let me PM bearz to take a look at your thread, he is from the IT field, maybe he can shed some insights for you.
Old 12-10-2017, 10:25 PM   #27

Thanks everyone for the valuable insight.

Thanks ralliart_ray, for helping out.
Order Inventory. That was my role. I was in the supply chain department but i focus more on inventory and order processing.

It's a 24 hours standby job and i sometimes need to grind through midnight to complete my work task.

I spent 1 year plus on it and realized there wasn't any career progression and hop onto another job as a production planner, but things didn't go well either due to the employer lying about the nature of the job. I left after 1 month without a job (bad decision).

I am considering if i should stay in the logistic supply chain side (but i don't know where i will be going next - no clear direction) whereas if i switch to the IT industry side, i know where i want to go - network engineer/security - but i don't know if this will be the right decision.)

Last edited by cold10me; 12-10-2017 at 10:30 PM..
Old 12-10-2017, 11:09 PM   #28

Thanks everyone for the valuable insight.

Thanks ralliart_ray, for helping out.
Order Inventory. That was my role. I was in the supply chain department but i focus more on inventory and order processing.

It's a 24 hours standby job and i sometimes need to grind through midnight to complete my work task.

I spent 1 year plus on it and realized there wasn't any career progression and hop onto another job as a production planner, but things didn't go well either due to the employer lying about the nature of the job. I left after 1 month without a job (bad decision).

I am considering if i should stay in the logistic supply chain side (but i don't know where i will be going next - no clear direction) whereas if i switch to the IT industry side, i know where i want to go - network engineer/security - but i don't know if this will be the right decision.)
You might want to seek help from recruiter, help u profile and take personality test to find out what cater to you character better? Just my 5c
ragonic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2017, 09:31 PM   #29
Great Supremacy Member

IT line is quite big but quite a dead end job, unless you are aiming to be IT project management and implementation those kind of path.

if you are just aiming to be a network engineer you will be stuck with it and might end up being a pre sales as well.

Most IT personal will end up with alot of extra add on which are out of their scope as well, if you are ok with this kind of stuff and challengers den is good, if not better not
Old 17-10-2017, 02:05 AM   #30

I actually quite okay with IT stuff and the challenges presented.

I realized that after 1 year of working, i like to go into more technical stuff in IT, SAP, network server, troubleshooting etc.

But i am just at a lost on where to start, my main objective now is to get a degree in IT with information security and information system but i know that without experience, a degree is just a paper.

I would definitely love to get hired by the relevant IT industry while i study part-time, but i come from a non-relevant IT background and searching for a IT job is really hard.

Where should i start?
I don't mind low pay, i am seeking to learn.

Any guidance?
Thank you so much for all your advises once again.
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.