Career Path advise

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Kyoji83

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-09-2017, 07:26 PM   #1

Career Path advise

Hi Everyone - Brothers/Sisters,

I am new to this thread.
I would like to seek some advise on the career path that i should choose.

I have recently signed up for a course in the Professional Conversion Programme (PCP) for IT System Administrator/Technical Support Engineer, with the hope of becoming a network engineer in the future, hopefully for a better prospect.

This is a programme hosted by Lithan Academy, it's a advance diploma course.

A little background of myself.

I am 27yo this year and I have a degree in logistic and supply chain management from a private university and have been working in the supply chain industry for 1 year now. I feel like my interest wasn't going the right way due to the nature and environment of the job.

I always wanted to purse a degree in IT but due to my irrelevant diploma in IT, i hesitated and choose a degree that is more relevant to my diploma (logistic and supply chain) - seems like a bad mistake.

If i were to take up this PCP career change, i figured that i would want to go down into the network engineer career path and i am fully aware that i will be competing with the students with relevant IT diploma and degree, this brings my spirit down a little, but i have told myself; if i were to take up this course, i will definitely purse a degree in IT afterward.

I am not sure if i should remain in the logistic and supply chain industry due to the experience i have con-currently or should i just switch for a better prospect?

Will definitely appreciate some constructive advises.

Many thanks!
cold10me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 10:01 PM   #2
Supremacy Member

IT Industry

I have been to e2i executive workshop (especially for unemployed). There are a few unemployed IT professional (Some of them are Singapore PRs) especially those 'benefits' from Government programme like PCP. The comments from them is while you are bonded with your company, you are getting low wages while your company will get some 'incentive' from government for around a year. Once government have ended 'incentive', company terminate the worker cause they do not see any benefits to hire them.

Please get your fact right. You are not going for an advance diploma course but a Diploma in IT Services (System Support). This is a useless Diploma which have the same standard as private diploma because it does not consider an academic qualification like Polytechnic Diploma or Degree for job. In IT industry, apart from getting an academic qualification, you will needs professional qualification (Got expire date & needs to go for 'refresher' again) like CCNA if you want to focus on network for IT skills. Your Diploma in IT Services (System Support) trained you in those skills like CCNA but you will not get the professional qualification because it not part of the course. So you will needs to use your own money to pay for exam in order to get professional qualification.

To add on, a lot of companies are hiring FT [who have more experience, more professional qualifications, higher academic qualification like degree, higher work commitment (eg: OT) & lower wages] compare to you, so why should they hire you? This is what those Singaporeans feedback in e2i executive workshop.

Since you already signed up for Professional Conversion Programme (PCP) for IT System Administrator/Technical Support Engineer, just try & see if this is what you want before considering taking up a degree. Engineering have a lot of specialization like Mechanical, Electrical & etc which IT also have a lot of specialization. It will be good to understand more & focus on which specialization you want for your career.

Logistic Industry

If your company do not needs your degree in logistic and supply chain management or a degree in any trade, your company will not pay you a graduate salary & your degree will become a white elephant.

You do not like the nature and environment of the job but you can consider to work in other company or other position to re-confirmed if Logistic Industry is suitable for you.

But since you already signed up for Professional Conversion Programme (PCP) for IT System Administrator/Technical Support Engineer, don't needs to think so much until your bond is over.

Just a reminder, the longer you are not in a similar trade or unemployed, the less value your experience worth & your salary package will be lower than what you may get now.

Hi Everyone - Brothers/Sisters,

I am new to this thread.
I would like to seek some advise on the career path that i should choose.

I have recently signed up for a course in the Professional Conversion Programme (PCP) for IT System Administrator/Technical Support Engineer, with the hope of becoming a network engineer in the future, hopefully for a better prospect.

This is a programme hosted by Lithan Academy, it's a advance diploma course.

A little background of myself.

I am 27yo this year and I have a degree in logistic and supply chain management from a private university and have been working in the supply chain industry for 1 year now. I feel like my interest wasn't going the right way due to the nature and environment of the job.

I always wanted to purse a degree in IT but due to my irrelevant diploma in IT, i hesitated and choose a degree that is more relevant to my diploma (logistic and supply chain) - seems like a bad mistake.

If i were to take up this PCP career change, i figured that i would want to go down into the network engineer career path and i am fully aware that i will be competing with the students with relevant IT diploma and degree, this brings my spirit down a little, but i have told myself; if i were to take up this course, i will definitely purse a degree in IT afterward.

I am not sure if i should remain in the logistic and supply chain industry due to the experience i have con-currently or should i just switch for a better prospect?

Will definitely appreciate some constructive advises.

Many thanks!
cold10me likes this.
Old 12-09-2017, 08:08 PM   #3

Hi Kyoji83,

Thank you for the constructive feedback.

I am currently not bond to any company as I have only used my PSA account to offset the course fee. I was told by the consultant that they will only withdraw the course fee amount from my PSA account once i completed the module.

However, out of curiosity, i went ahead and checked my PSA account which i eventually found out that they actually withdrew the money without my knowledge. I called the consultant up and he gave me a lot of explanation, like; "this shouldn't happen, i think the institute is trying to lock the cash for the course fee...blah blah blah". ~ this kind of worries me.

He eventually told me that he will give me a call today and update me on this which he did not.

Anyway, this is all getting too shady. I think i will withdraw from the course for now and hopefully get the amount refunded back to my PSA account.

Thanks again Kyoji83!

More feedback's is more than welcome here
Old 12-09-2017, 08:27 PM   #4
Supremacy Member

Something is wrong somewhere. For Professional Conversion Programme (PCP), the training school should accept your application for the course & you should get an employer for sponsorship.

How come you are paying it on your own money (from PSA account) when PCP is actually a sponsor course?

Hi Kyoji83,

Thank you for the constructive feedback.

I am currently not bond to any company as I have only used my PSA account to offset the course fee. I was told by the consultant that they will only withdraw the course fee amount from my PSA account once i completed the module.

However, out of curiosity, i went ahead and checked my PSA account which i eventually found out that they actually withdrew the money without my knowledge. I called the consultant up and he gave me a lot of explanation, like; "this shouldn't happen, i think the institute is trying to lock the cash for the course fee...blah blah blah". ~ this kind of worries me.

He eventually told me that he will give me a call today and update me on this which he did not.

Anyway, this is all getting too shady. I think i will withdraw from the course for now and hopefully get the amount refunded back to my PSA account.

Thanks again Kyoji83!

More feedback's is more than welcome here
Old 12-09-2017, 11:29 PM   #5

I know right, that's what i thought too. I figured they're trying to scam me big time. They told me that after completion of a certain number of modules, they will help me to find an employer for sponsorship but eventually pass me the PSA account form to sign.

I did ask about it, but they told me that it was to deduct the module fee once i finish part of the course and the next part will be sponsored by the company etc.

In anyway, it's kind of fishy now that i thought of it. I just regretted i signed the form when i was in a rush - bad mistake.
Old 13-09-2017, 05:58 PM   #6
Supremacy Member

What is your current job title & job scope in Logistic Industry?

So now what is your plan?

I know right, that's what i thought too. I figured they're trying to scam me big time. They told me that after completion of a certain number of modules, they will help me to find an employer for sponsorship but eventually pass me the PSA account form to sign.

I did ask about it, but they told me that it was to deduct the module fee once i finish part of the course and the next part will be sponsored by the company etc.

In anyway, it's kind of fishy now that i thought of it. I just regretted i signed the form when i was in a rush - bad mistake.
Old 13-09-2017, 07:59 PM   #7

Inventory management.

Well, i guess, i would just stick to the industry for awhile and seek out for different role?
But seems to me that everywhere is the same in the logistic and supply chain industry. Low wage, low increment, not being appreciated, etc...

I had thought it's a growing industry that's why i took up this field of studies, but seems like, i might be wrong.

Well, i ll cross my fingers for now and continue searching....
But boy, i do want to get into the IT industry. It's blooming like a flower. LOL
Old 14-09-2017, 12:27 AM   #8
Supremacy Member

Logistic Industry is not a growing industry but will remain as future job. IT is a growing industry & will remain as future job too.

Inventory management like not much of valuable experience. Should focus on import & export cause nowadays a lot of small online business & they needs Less than Container Load (LCL).

Btw, your company hiring? Business graduate here

Inventory management.

Well, i guess, i would just stick to the industry for awhile and seek out for different role?
But seems to me that everywhere is the same in the logistic and supply chain industry. Low wage, low increment, not being appreciated, etc...

I had thought it's a growing industry that's why i took up this field of studies, but seems like, i might be wrong.

Well, i ll cross my fingers for now and continue searching....
But boy, i do want to get into the IT industry. It's blooming like a flower. LOL
Old 17-09-2017, 04:35 PM   #9

Sorry for the late reply Kyoji83. Busy busy busy.

Apparently there is no job opening now, except if you are a designer, maybe i could recommend you.

Hmm, business graduate?

Seems like a very generalized profession, what do you specialize in?
Are you having problem getting employed this day?
Old 17-09-2017, 09:47 PM   #10
Supremacy Member

Sorry for the late reply Kyoji83. Busy busy busy.

Apparently there is no job opening now, except if you are a designer, maybe i could recommend you.

Hmm, business graduate?

Seems like a very generalized profession, what do you specialize in?

Jack of all trades but master of all. One of profession I used to work as is HR & I used to serve in Logistic vocation for NS.

Are you having problem getting employed this day?
Yes & No.
Old 18-09-2017, 09:07 AM   #11

Hi

Generally there are 2 majors in
1. Infrastructure (Network and Systems)
2. Applications (Software)

Having gone through both routes (as vendor and end user), I would say try to go to (2) Applications. Pursue along Mobile App Development or ERP related will guarantee you a longer career that is more rewarding in the long-term. You can also start out on your own after a few years.

For (1) Infrastructure, the amount of innovation and earning potential is marginal. You become like a general turnkey or maintenance engineer after some time.
colgate is offline   Reply With Quote
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.