Chelsea Forum (Stamford Bridge)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ultimate10002000

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Spurs keeper's Arnesen blast

Tottenham goalkeeper Paul Robinson has admitted he and his team-mates feel let down by sporting director Frank Arnesen's decision to leave White Hart Lane.

Arnesen is expected to join Chelsea as head of scouting and the youth academy after the Premiership champions approached their London neighbours and the Dane himself.

The clubs are in talks over a compensation package, but Robinson told The Sun: "All the lads feel let down by Frank going and the way he did it. I was very disappointed when I heard.

"He had been telling everyone he would take Spurs on to great things. The next thing you know he has gone. But boss Martin Jol will make sure we don't lose focus. This will not deflect him from his targets.

"Spurs will go on without Frank Arnesen. The men who make it happen with their work out there on the training pitch are our manager Martin Jol and coach Chris Hughton."

Ultimate10002000

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Reds reject Owen return

Liverpool have reportedly rejected the chance to buy back Real Madrid striker Michael Owen, but the Premiership's big three remain interested.

Reports in the media suggest that while the European champions were sounded out by a third party acting for Madrid and Owen on the prospect of him returning to Anfield, they have declined the chance.

Real paid just £8m for the striker as he only had one year left on his contract, but the Spanish giants are now looking to sell Owen for close to double that original price.

This is thought to be the deterrant for Liverpool and boss Rafa Benitez, who wants to bring in five or six players this summer to strengthen the squad before an extra-long season.

Serious contact between Owen and Liverpool is understood to have taken place more than a week ago.

But the Reds' lack of interest could leave the door open for Owen to join Arsenal, Chelsea or Manchester United, who are all believed to be interested in bring the England international back to the Premiership.

Madrid are said to have contacted United in a similar way to Liverpool and Owen has been informed of the Old Trafford club's interest.

Ultimate10002000

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Kaladze remaining patient

AC Milan defender Kakha Kaladze claims he is unconcerned by the delay in his proposed move to Chelsea.

A meeting between Chelsea's chief executive Peter Kenyon and AC Milan vice-president Adriano Galliani in Milan last week was expected to finalise the Georgian's transfer to the Premiership champions.

However, with no official confirmation from either club that the deal has been completed, Kaladze's move has currently come to a standstill.

Reports linking Athletic Bilbao defender Asier Del Horno to Jose Mourinho's outfit could be one of the reasons for the delay, but Kaladze is remaining patient.

"I'm in my house in Georgia on holiday and I have no news regarding this," he told Gazzetta dello Sport.

"I've said what I had to say to the Milan executives, they know what I want to do and they are used to making players happy.

"I will wait and see what happens."

Ultimate10002000

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Barca move for Blues target

Chelsea are set to have competition from Barcelona for the signing of Real Betis winger Joaquin this summer, according to the club's president.

The Blues have chased the Spanish international for over a year and reportedly had two huge bids for the player rejected back in December.

However, Betis president Manuel Ruiz de Lopera is now prepared to sell Joaquin, alerting many of the top clubs across Europe including both Barca and Chelsea.

"We have very important offers for the sale of Joaquin," Lopera told Marca. "One of them will be Barcelona. All the great clubs are open for negotiations when you speak about a star and Joaquin is a very good player."

Ultimate10002000

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Toon move in on Parker

Scott Parker's agent is meeting with Newcastle officials on Tuesday after Chelsea accepted a £6.5m offer for the England midfielder.

Toon boss Graeme Souness looks likely to win the race for the highly-rated playmaker, with Everton, Charlton and Tottenham all interested in the 24-year-old and could complete a deal within the next 24 hours.

Newcastle chairman Freddy Shepherd received confirmation from Stamford Bridge on Tuesday night and immediately arranged for Parker's representative to discuss a move to the North East.

It is thought that personal terms are unlikely to be a problem, with the St James' Park club likely to match his current Chelsea pay-packet.

The likely signing of Parker is another step to completing Souness' reshuffle of the Magpies squad.

With Andy O'Brien and Aaron Hughes already gone, Laurent Robert on the verge of a switch to Bolton and Craig Bellamy unlikely to stay, the Newcastle boss could be given up to £20m to add to his squad.

However, wage demands look likely to scupper Newcastle's move for Turkish international Emre. The Inter Milan midfielder currently earns £55,000 a week at the San Siro, more than Toon are willing to offer.

A striker is also thought to be a priority following the departure of Patrick Kluivert and uncertainty over Bellamy.

Ultimate10002000

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Goalkeeper Cech wins Czech award

PRAGUE, June 14 (Reuters) - Chelsea keeper Petr Cech won the Golden Ball award as the Czech Republic's player of the season on Tuesday, beating five-times winner Pavel Nedved of Italian champions Juventus.
The 23-year-old, who becomes the first keeper to win the award, played a key role in helping Chelsea secure their first league title for 50 years and reach the Champions League semi-finals.

He has also performed well at international level in the Czech bid to qualify for the 2006 World Cup. They trail Group One leaders Netherlands by one point after seven wins and one defeat.

Striker Milan Baros of Premier League rivals and European champions Liverpool came third, followed by Borussia Dortmund striker Jan Koller, the national team's all-time top scorer.

Ultimate10002000

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
AC start Crespo loan talks

Chelsea striker Hernan Crespo was flying to Italy on Tuesday to begin talks about a new loan deal with AC Milan.

Crespo, who helped Argentina's bid to qualify for the World Cup after scoring twice in last week's 3-1 win against Brazil, is set to remain another year with the Italian giants.

The 29-year-old, who has been on international duty in South America, will arrive in Milan later on Tuesday.

"The player is flying with me on Tuesday to Italy," Crespo's agent Fernando Hidalgo said.

"We are meeting Chelsea this week before the player signs the new contract with Milan.

"There are still some minor details to clarify with Chelsea but in theory everything has been agreed."

Crespo was an essential part of Milan's success last season which saw them reach the final of the Champions League and also challenge for the Serie A title.

He scored a total of 18 goals for the Rossoneri in the 2004-05 campaign where ultimately they finished second in both competitions, losing out to Juventus in Serie A and Liverpool in Europe.

Ultimate10002000

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Agent sparks Essien chase

Michael Essien's agent has admitted that the Ghanaian and Lyon midfielder is very keen on a switch to one of the big Premiership clubs.

However, Fabien Piveteau believes Lyon have attached a hefty price tag which could scare off any potential buyers.

To date, the French champions have not been tempted by any offers from Chelsea to sign the 22-year-old, who was voted Player of the Season in France.

Piveteau told BBC Sport: "The problem is that Chelsea want him but, for now, the bid is too small for Lyon.

"If possible, he would prefer to come to England. He speaks English, he likes English football."

Essien has so far declined to sign a contract extension but Lyon are determined not to let him go without a fight.

"Lyon want big money for the player," added Piveteau. "The problem for Chelsea is when they arrive for discussions with another club, the price is doubled."

Piveteau said Essien would consider a move elsewhere in England but feels the transfer fee is likely to put most clubs off.

"Chelsea, Liverpool, Manchester United and Arsenal would interest him," he said.

"I know the Arsenal coach likes him very well but, for now, there have been no discussions.

"At Manchester, I had discussions with their coach two months ago but after that, there has been no news.

"For Liverpool there could be a solution because Lyon want Milan Baros and it may be possible to organise for Baros to go to Lyon and Michael to go to Liverpool - and the same for Chelsea with Didier Drogba."

Lyon dismissed a proposed swap deal involving Drogba on Monday.

Their president Jean-Michel Aulas told sports newspaper L'Equipe: "If chief executive Peter Kenyon proposes a deal because Chelsea have signed Eto'o or Adriano, I would listen.

"But I don't believe in Father Christmas."

Ultimate10002000

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Owen 'wants Chelsea move'

Michael Owen has reportedly told Real Madrid that if he is forced to leave the Bernabeu, he wants to join Premiership champions Chelsea.

And the La Liga giants hope that Owen's preferrence to join the Blues may be able to tempt Chelsea to part with their talismanic midfielder Frank Lampard.

Lampard recently topped a poll of Real fans asking them who they would most like to see joining the Madrid Galacticos.

Reports claim that Real president Florentino Perez is to offer Chelsea £20m plus Owen to lure Lampard to Spain.

If this move fails Madrid may ask to have first refusal on the player if he ever decides to leave Stamford Bridge.

Lampard is the highest-paid player in the Premiership after Chelsea handed him a five-year deal worth £5m a year last summer.

Meanwhile, Perez still regards Steven Gerrard as his number one target and is set to increase pressure on Liverpool as they try to secure their skipper to a new bumper deal.

Real are thought to have set out £110m for summer targets with Gerrard central to their attention.

Perez has reportedly called Liverpool twice enquiring over Gerrard's availability, but have been told he is not for sale.

Gerrard himself appears keen to remain with the European champions as he told The Sun: "I want my future sorted out before the start of the season.

"I'm waiting for Liverpool to give me the nod to say when and where we can start talk on my new contract."

Talks are set to take place in the next few weeks but Real are ready to make a £30m bid to try and scupper any talks, similar to what happened last season with Owen.

Ultimate10002000

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Toon set to parade Parker

Newcastle have called a press conference for 2pm on Wednesday where they will unveil the £6.5m capture of Chelsea midfielder Scott Parker.

The Magpies will present the former Charlton star before the media after the 24-year-old passed a medical at St James' Park.

Chairman Freddy Shepherd was given permission to speak to the 24-year-old, capped by England, at the weekend.

It is believed he has agreed a five-year contract at St James' Park after Newcastle fought off competition from both Everton and Tottenham to convince a player who cost Chelsea £10m in January 2004 to now join them.

A broken bone in Parker's foot limited him to a handful of appearances for Chelsea last season as Jose Mourinho's side won the Premiership title.

Although Mourinho was keen to keep Parker as a squad member, his desire for first-team football has led to a move, with Frank Lampard and Claude Makelele inked in to the two central midfield roles at Chelsea.

Magpies boss Graeme Souness will be delighted to have got his hands on a man he has targeted for some time.

Parker will be the first arrival and Turkish international Belozoglu Emre could be the next following Laurent Robert's departure for Portsmouth on Tuesday night and the likely exits of Lee Bowyer and Hugo Viana.

Ultimate10002000

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Spurs deny replacement talk

Tottenham have denied they had begun the search for a successor to sporting director Frank Arnesen.

Spurs moved swiftly to quash speculation that AZ Alkmaar's technical director Martin van Geel was being earmarked as a replacement should Arnesen leave White Hart Lane for Stamford Bridge.

Spurs and Chelsea remained locked in talks this week over a compensation package to allow the Dane to make the switch to the Premiership champions.

Spurs were hoping to clinch a payout worth £15m for Arnesen that included the acquisition of England midfielder Scott Parker.

However, those negotiations were scuppered by Parker's decision to join Newcastle United in a £6.5m transfer.

Van Geel has already claimed he was honoured to connected with a possible move to Tottenham but the London club issued a firm rebuttal that they had even begun to think about replacements for Arnesen.

A club spokesperson said: "At this point in time, Frank is suspended. He is still employed by the club and therefore there are no discussions about a replacement."

Arnesen, although suspended by Spurs, is still in their employment and the north London club are adamant that until they sanction any move, there will be no talks about who might be targeted as his successor.

Van Geel was tipped to be the man identified by Spurs as Arnesen's successor but the AZ director said: "I have heard the rumours about me and Spurs and if your name is connected to such a club you feel honoured.

"But I'm absolutely not working towards a new job, also because no-one has asked me something. To be precise: I have heard nothing."

Spurs are still attempting to thrash out a financial agreement with Chelsea over Arnesen but despite dialogue all week, there has been no hint of a settlement that would suit all parties.

Tottenham would have ideally liked to have taken Parker, who cost Chelsea £10m when they signed him from Charlton in January 2004, but the player opted to join Newcastle on a five-year contract on Wednesday.

Tottenham chairman Daniel Levy is adamant Chelsea's move for Dane Arnesen constituted an illegal approach but the club have yet to complain formally to the Premier League.

Chelsea deny they broke the rules by sending a letter to the club which was copied to Arnesen and are hoping to come to an agreement that prevents them from being reported to the FAPL by their Premiership rivals.

Ultimate10002000

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Parker will be tops - Souey

Graeme Souness is sure that new-boy Scott Parker will become a "top player" for several years to come after his arrival on Tyneside.

The 24-year-old England international completed a £6.5m move to St James' Park when he put pen to paper on a five-year deal after passing a medical on Wednesday morning.

Manager Graeme Souness flew in from France to welcome the former Charlton player to the club after the Magpies fought off competition from Everton, Tottenham and Wigan to capture him.

"I have always been an admirer of him,'' said Souness.

"He got into the team at Charlton as a young lad, showed a determination along with his ability that marked him out as being a special player.

"At Chelsea, things conspired against him because he is more than good enough to hold down a regular place in that team.

"But football is all about opinions as well and their manager and the people there felt that they could let him go, and we are delighted that we have got him because he is going to be a top player here for a very long time, and he is the type of player our crowd will respond to because he wants to win, and you can never have enough of them around you.''

Parker is delighted at being given the chance to resurrect his career and said: "I look at the club and I just feel that they are going in the right way with the squad they have got here and I felt it was the right club for me.

"When I went to Chelsea, I had a driving ambition to win trophies, and I feel here at Newcastle, I can still achieve that and that was probably one of my main reasons.

"I went to Chelsea with no thoughts that I was going to be a regular there, and that is what I wanted to be, I wanted to establish myself there.

"I do not feel I am coming away from Chelsea having failed, I just feel that maybe I was restricted in my opportunities really.

"Obviously I did not have a lot of chances to really show what I can do. But I am here at Newcastle, I am absolutely over the moon and really just cannot wait to get involved.''

Ultimate10002000

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Blues opt against appeal

Chelsea have decided not to appeal against the punishment for their role in the Ashley Cole tapping scandal.

But coach Jose Mourinho is to appeal against his £200,000 fine with the full backing of the club.

The FA Premier League fined Chelsea £300,000 and handed them a suspended three-point deduction for their part in talking to the England and Arsenal left-back, in breach of league rules.

A spokesman for the club confirmed: "Chelsea Football Club will not appeal the verdict and sanctions handed down to it by the Premier League independent commission two weeks ago.

"Although at the time we indicated an appeal was likely, and we were advised there were strong grounds for one, the Chelsea board of directors came to the conclusion that the greater interests of football were served by the club drawing a line under the issue.

"In arriving at that position, the Chelsea board held helpful and amicable discussions with colleagues from the wider football community."

Ultimate10002000

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Klinsmann in Huth defence

Germany coach Jurgen Klinsmann defended Chelsea's Robert Huth following his performance in Germany's 4-3 Confederations Cup over Australia.

The defensive shortcomings of the host nation were illustrated by the Socceroos, who almost caused an upset in Frankfurt, and Huth was made a scapegoat by the German media, which Klinsmann believed was unfair.

"It's obvious he will make mistakes here and there, but we also know how much potential he has," said Klinsmann. "He has our full support."

Klinsmann's defence is regarded as the weak link in an adventurous, attacking side which tore Australia apart going forward but left gaping holes behind them.

stems from the attack and midfield."We are well aware that there is a lot of work to be done," added Klinsmann.

"They aren't making the game tight enough."

Arsenal goalkeeper Jens Lehmann will replace Oliver Kahn in goal for the Tunisia game on Saturday.

Ultimate10002000

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Chelsea reject Kezman bid

Chelsea are reported to have rejected an approach from Benfica to take Mateja Kezman on loan.

The Portuguese club's new manager, Ronald Koeman, wants to increase his forward options and has identified the Serbian frontman as his preferred choice.

Chelsea are open to offers for Kezman but unwilling to give their players away after suffering huge losses on loan deals for Hernan Crespo and Juan Veron. It is understood they will hold out for £3.5m for Kezman, who is also a target for Birmingham and PSV Eindhoven, but that fee is likely to deter a further approach from Benfica.

Chelsea are suffering their own frustrations in the transfer market. They have already had bids turned down for Lyon midfielder Michael Essien and Kakha Kaladze of AC Milan but are confident of signing both players.

Adriano remains Jose Mourinho's first-choice striking target but Inter Milan are holding out for £40m.

Ultimate10002000

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Milan close in on Crespo

AC Milan claim Hernan Crespo's permanent move from Chelsea could be sealed in a matter of days and possibly be followed by Kakha Kaladze moving in the opposite direction.

The Italian club's organising director Umberto Gandini said that he remains keen for Argentinian Crespo to remain with Milan.

Both Gandini and Chelsea chief executive Peter Kenyon on Thursday were launching details of the 2005 World Series of Football, to be staged in America at the end of July.

Chelsea will face AC Milan twice at the tournament, but Kenyon refused to discuss where Crespo and defender Kaladze will begin the 2005/06 season.

Gandini hinted that the clubs were well on the way to finalising Kaladze's move to Stamford Bridge.

"We are still discussing this and I would absolutely like Crespo to stay with us," said the Milan official.

"We have a very good relationship and we are talking on different projects, not only on Crespo's status, and we hope that we will have some positive progress to report in the next few days."

Crespo spent last season on loan at Milan from Chelsea and scored twice in their Champions League final defeat by Liverpool.

He is confident of staying in Italy and, after returning from international duty with Argentina, told Corriere dello Sport his future lies at the San Siro.

"When I was leaving for Argentina, (Milan vice president) Adriano Galliani said that everything was fine," said Crespo.

"He said there would be a contract to sign when I came back from Buenos Aires. I honestly don't have a reason to be worried, I am sure I will stay at Milan."

Kenyon was not as revealing as either Crespo or Gandini but did confirm that all Chelsea's new players will be involved in the tour of the States, which begins with a game against Milan on 24 July.

"Discussions are still going on but I can promise the teams who we will be playing against in the US that we will arrive with our full strength team," said Kenyon.

"This tournament is a really important part of our season planning and to have all our new team members as part of the 24-man squad is essential to how we think we will perform for the rest of the season.

"Whichever side we bring, they will be our top players and the ones we expect to see us right the way through next season.

"We are confident of getting the new players in soon - that's why I am not on holiday.

"We did an amazing job last year in terms of moving 14 players out and bringing seven in.

"All those players were available for the US travelling party last season so certainly by the time we go this year all the new acquisitions will be in place with the squad."

Ultimate10002000

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Deco turns down extra cash

Barcelona midfielder Deco admits he turned down better financial packages to extend his stay with the Nou Camp club until 2010.

Deco did not name where the offers came from but he played under Jose Mourinho at former club Porto and Mourinho's present club Chelsea are reported to have been monitoring his form.

Deco, 27, said: "There were other clubs that wanted to buy me but I wanted to stay here and so did the club. One team was ready to pay the 50m euro clause (£33m).

"Barca have shown in the league that we have a great side that can continue to triumph in the Spanish league and challenge in the Champions League.

"It's very important that we keep the team together as we have players who are coveted by the best teams in the world."

Ultimate10002000

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Wenger confident over Cole

Arsenal manager Arsene Wenger still sees a future for disgruntled full-back Ashley Cole at Highbury.

England left-back Cole was fined £100,000 by a Premier League inquiry for his part in the tapping-up affair with Chelsea.

But Wenger is desperate to get the player committed to the Arsenal cause again and wants to extend Cole's contract.

"We must make sure he's back with us with full commitment and complete focus on success," Wenger told The Sun.

"That's our challenge and I am confident we can do that. We will try to extend his contract.

"People forget the whole story only began because we tried to extend his contract - that's what we wanted to do in the first place.

"I have talked to him about it many times but I have left him alone while he is on holiday. We will try to sort it out when he returns. We want stability."

Ultimate10002000

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Robinho set for Real deal

Chelsea target Robinho looks likely to be Real Madrid's first major signing of the summer with his club's exit from the Copa Libertadores clearing the way for his transfer.

Santos, who were without Robinho while he was on international duty with Brazil at the Confederations Cup, were beaten 2-0 by Atletico Paranaense to crash out of South America's premier club competition.

Santos had wanted to hold onto the 21-year-old star while they still had a chance of lifting the trophy, but now they are no longer involved, Robihno's agents are already preparing their trip to Madrid.

"I will get to Madrid on June 24 to finalise the details of the deal that will take Robinho to Real," said Wagner Ribeiro, who owns 40% of the player's rights.

"At the moment he is sad because Santos have been knocked out of the Copa Libertadores.

"On June 22 I will be in Germany and I will tell Robinho how negotiations are going."

Ultimate10002000

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Bilbao deny Del Horno bid

Athletic Bilbao president Fernando Lamikiz insists that he has yet to receive an offer for Spain defender and Chelsea target Asier del Horno.

The Blues are thought to be interested in Del Horno and are even reported to have agreed terms with the 24-year-old left-back.

But Lamikiz insists the two clubs have yet to discuss a price and said: "I have had no concrete offer which I could say either 'yes' or 'no' to.

"Therefore there is nothing for us to talk about."

If Bilbao do sell Del Horno, the money will help lift the club's debts.

Lamikiz himself said earlier in the week it would mean the club presenting a positive balance of around eight million euros for the season.

It would also help finance their current policy of contract renewals for their other key players.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.