16 Days: Amsterdam -> Brussels -> Berlin -> Krakow -> Budapest

nbsswap

Reaction score
Hi guys, I will be travelling to the following cities for16 days. Does this roughly planned out itinerary look okay or should I spend more/less time in any particular city?

Amsterdam (3 days)
Brussels (3 days)
Berlin (3 days)
Krakow (3 days)
Budapest (3 days) and back to Amsterdam for flight back (1 day)

It is my first time visiting the cities above. Any tips or interesting sights which I should be visiting? Side point to note, I am a solo traveller and I am planning to do all intercity via train/bus.

Thanks everyone :)

Last edited:

klavier

Reaction score
Hi guys, I will be travelling to the following cities for16 days. Does this roughly planned out itinerary look okay or should I spend more/less time in any particular city?

Amsterdam (3 days)
Brussels (3 days)
Berlin (3 days)
Krakow (3 days)
Budapest (3 days) and back to Amsterdam for flight back (1 day)

It is my first time visiting the cities above. Any tips or interesting sights which I should be visiting? Side point to note, I am a solo traveller and I am planning to do all intercity via train/bus.

Thanks everyone :)

Of the list above, I have only done Amsterdam, Berlin and Budapest with my family. Budapest happens to be my favourite city in Europe and Berlin comes in a close 2nd.

FYI I did not visit Krakow as the overland trip by train from Krakow to Budapest is rather long. Somehow or rather I dont like to take bus which is the faster overland option for this trip. Anyway if you are planning this route, you can consider adding in Vienna as I feel it deserves a short stay if you are into culture.

For Amsterdam, if you intend to make a day trip out of the city, you might want to have 4 days rather than 3 especially since you might not be able to maximise day 1 due to jet-lag.

Of the 3 cities I have been to, Berlin is the most spread out so 4 days would be more ideal. 3 days in Budapest is sufficient for most i guess.

Why Brussels may I ask? Anyway for train travel, use http://www.seat61.com/ to find out the best/cheapest way to travel between cities.

You can obviously consider night trains for Amsterdam - Berlin and/or Krakow - Budapest but do note it can be more expensive than flying (budget airlines) especially if you choose the sleepers.

nbsswap

Reaction score
Of the list above, I have only done Amsterdam, Berlin and Budapest with my family. Budapest happens to be my favourite city in Europe and Berlin comes in a close 2nd.

FYI I did not visit Krakow as the overland trip by train from Krakow to Budapest is rather long. Somehow or rather I dont like to take bus which is the faster overland option for this trip. Anyway if you are planning this route, you can consider adding in Vienna as I feel it deserves a short stay if you are into culture.

For Amsterdam, if you intend to make a day trip out of the city, you might want to have 4 days rather than 3 especially since you might not be able to maximise day 1 due to jet-lag.

Of the 3 cities I have been to, Berlin is the most spread out so 4 days would be more ideal. 3 days in Budapest is sufficient for most i guess.

Why Brussels may I ask? Anyway for train travel, use http://www.seat61.com/ to find out the best/cheapest way to travel between cities.

You can obviously consider night trains for Amsterdam - Berlin and/or Krakow - Budapest but do note it can be more expensive than flying (budget airlines) especially if you choose the sleepers.

Ahhh thanks for the tips!

I think I would like Budapest. I guess its pretty much like Prague, which I was absolutely amazed with when I was there 2 years back. The old towns and the gothic cathedrals..

One of the reasons why I prefer overnight is I could save on accommodation for the night and arrive in a new city next morning to continue my journey.

Edit: What is the best way to get around in Amsterdam? Have you tried cycling around the city?
Edit: During the period, which of the cities I listed will have a higher chance of seeing snow? I have never seen snow before. Guess this is a good chance for me to spot it :p

Last edited:

klavier

Reaction score
Ahhh thanks for the tips!

I think I would like Budapest. I guess its pretty much like Prague, which I was absolutely amazed when I was there 2 years back. The old towns and the gothic cathedrals.

One of the reasons why I prefer overnight is I could save on accommodation for the night and arrive in a new city next morning to continue my journey.

What is the best way to get around in Amsterdam? Have you tried cycling around the city?

I didnt really like Prague due to only 1 reason, i.e. the crowd is horrendous around the main tourist attractions. Budapest is no where near as crowded and the people though 'fiercer' in appearance are actually much more friendly if you approach them with a smile. I actually went back to Budapest for a second time because we like the charm of the city.

For Amsterdam, apart from taking a bus to Zaanse Schans, we walk everywhere else within the city. It is quite compact and if we can do it (with a child of 4 year old then), so can you. Of cos, if you want to conserve your legs for the remainder of the trip, a bicycle is a viable option. Afterall, bicycles are the main choice of commute for the locals there.

The only night train I took was Munich to Budapest. I opted for a sleeper cabin for my family so that we could have a proper night's sleep. I read someone mentioning in this forum that night trains would no longer be operating from next year but I really wonder if this is true.

Sorry my visits were always between April to June so dont know where will see snow. However, Amsterdam is likely to be the coldest of the cities u are visiting.

Last edited:

bberry

Reaction score
i jus back from Prague/Vienna/Krakow/Budapest.

Krakow is good, Salt mine, Auschwitz, Schindler's factory, jewish quarters, etc
Budapest - cruise by danube river at sundown and past Parliament House, Szechenyi thermal bath

krakow to budapest by bus www.luxexpress.eu. route is thru slovakia, quite scenic

Don't take the Orangeway,not reliable..mine got cancelled 2 days before my travel date.

u may want to check open jaw ticket, fly in amsterdam and out from budapest.
i flew in to london and out from budapest, not expensive at all. Qatar and Emirates very similar price.

Last edited:

nbsswap

Reaction score
i jus back from Prague/Vienna/Krakow/Budapest.

Krakow is good, Salt mine, Auschwitz, Schindler's factory, jewish quarters, etc
Budapest - cruise by danube river at sundown and past Parliament House, Szechenyi thermal bath

krakow to budapest by bus www.luxexpress.eu. route is thru slovakia, quite scenic

Don't take the Orangeway,not reliable..mine got cancelled 2 days before my travel date.

u may want to check open jaw ticket, fly in amsterdam and out from budapest.
i flew in to london and out from budapest, not expensive at all. Qatar and Emirates very similar price.

Thanks for the tips! I have already purchased the tickets for Amsterdam already. Got it quite cheap at 850 (Swiss air) considering its the travel peak season during the Christmas/New year period.

Will definitely te consider the coach option from Krakow to Budapest. I'm now thinking if I should take the overnight one or spend half a day in the coach just to catch the scenery of Slovakia. Can I check, are the buses safe in general? I have been to certain Asian countries and some of the drivers were quite reckless and tend to speed.

nbsswap

Reaction score
I didnt really like Prague due to only 1 reason, i.e. the crowd is horrendous around the main tourist attractions. Budapest is no where near as crowded and the people though 'fiercer' in appearance are actually much more friendly if you approach them with a smile. I actually went back to Budapest for a second time because we like the charm of the city.

For Amsterdam, apart from taking a bus to Zaanse Schans, we walk everywhere else within the city. It is quite compact and if we can do it (with a child of 4 year old then), so can you. Of cos, if you want to conserve your legs for the remainder of the trip, a bicycle is a viable option. Afterall, bicycles are the main choice of commute for the locals there.

The only night train I took was Munich to Budapest. I opted for a sleeper cabin for my family so that we could have a proper night's sleep. I read someone mentioning in this forum that night trains would no longer be operating from next year but I really wonder if this is true.

Sorry my visits were always between April to June so dont know where will see snow. However, Amsterdam is likely to be the coldest of the cities u are visiting.

I would agree prague was a tad touristy but the vibes and architecture (chimney bread is my favorite!) were the things that left a deep impression on me.

Would definitely hope for snow in Amsterdam as I'll be spending my Christmas eve and Christmas over there! :)

Thanks for the tips for Amsterdam!

Last edited:

bberry

Reaction score
Thanks for the tips! I have already purchased the tickets for Amsterdam already. Got it quite cheap at 850 (Swiss air) considering its the travel peak season during the Christmas/New year period.

Will definitely te consider the coach option from Krakow to Budapest. I'm now thinking if I should take the overnight one or spend half a day in the coach just to catch the scenery of Slovakia. Can I check, are the buses safe in general? I have been to certain Asian countries and some of the drivers were quite reckless and tend to speed.

the lux express looks good, got 2 drivers take turn to drive. bus condition is good n comfortable
but the timing is like 3pm, journey is about 7 hours.

chimney cake is best at prague, the stall outside Meet Burger restaurant :)

nbsswap

Reaction score
the lux express looks good, got 2 drivers take turn to drive. bus condition is good n comfortable
but the timing is like 3pm, journey is about 7 hours.

chimney cake is best at prague, the stall outside Meet Burger restaurant :)

nice! can i just check, what SIM card did u use in Europe? I got one from one of the bros here at HWZ for my Europe trip 2 years back and it allowed me to have connectivity for most parts of Europe except Prague I think

bberry

Reaction score
nice! can i just check, what SIM card did u use in Europe? I got one from one of the bros here at HWZ for my Europe trip 2 years back and it allowed me to have connectivity for most parts of Europe except Prague I think

on the luxexpress bus, got wifi

i didn't use any, many restaurants has got wifi..so not too much of a inconvenience for me. Only in budapest i feel free-wifi not as common.

dilphinus

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I would spend all my time in the Netherlands + maybe Belgium, instead of to the various major cities in five different countries. Too much time wasted on transport.

5star_pundit

Banned
Reaction score
I would spend all my time in the Netherlands + maybe Belgium, instead of to the various major cities in five different countries. Too much time wasted on transport.

are you sure ? 16days in 2 countries ? 4Days in amsterdam is more than enough lah
:s13::s13:

dilphinus

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
are you sure ? 16days in 2 countries ? 4Days in amsterdam is more than enough lah
:s13::s13:

I wrote the Netherlands and the Netherlands isnt made up of Amsterdam only.

The Hague
Keiden
Delft
Rotterdam
Utrecht
Haarlem
Maastricht
Amersfoort

Last edited:

5star_pundit

Banned
Reaction score
I wrote the Netherlands and the Netherlands isnt made up of Amsterdam only.

The Hague
Keiden
Delft
Rotterdam
Utrecht
Haarlem
Maastricht
Amersfoort

all the places you mentioned is more or less the same buildings , same church, same windmill, caves
it is not advisable to spent more than 4days in netherlands

bberry

Reaction score
It all depends on what you want, if u wanna see the country so extensively, then 2 weeks per country may also not be enough.

vogriphach

Reaction score
I have been to all the cities you mentioned. Personally, I think Brussels is the least interesting in your list. You could do with deducting a day there and adding it for Berlin. Germany's capital is a very interesting city - not the typical European city I would say.

I wrote about some of the attractions to see in some of the cities in your list. Hope it helps!

Guide to Berlin's Neighborhoods
Fascinating Krakow

nbsswap

Reaction score

I will be doing a couple of overnight coach to minimize the time 'wasted' on transport.

Well, I guess its really up to each other's preference. I am more of the touch and go traveler whenever I visit a new city. Usually 3 days is just right for me (even more so I am going solo this time round). In any case if I really fancy a particular city, I will add it to my to go list the next time I visit Europe to have a more in depth tour.

nbsswap

Reaction score
I have been to all the cities you mentioned. Personally, I think Brussels is the least interesting in your list. You could do with deducting a day there and adding it for Berlin. Germany's capital is a very interesting city - not the typical European city I would say.

I wrote about some of the attractions to see in some of the cities in your list. Hope it helps!

Guide to Berlin's Neighborhoods
Fascinating Krakow

Great! Thanks for the links!

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.