HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

Chasing the Northern Lights - Iceland

Like Tree179Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-02-2016, 04:55 PM   #31
High Supremacy Member

I just came back from Iceland 2 weeks ago...absolutely beautiful place and possibly the best country I have ever visited.

My trip report is at https://thehonestexplorer.wordpress.com/

Let me know if you need any information anytime, or want me to share my itinerary or something!
May I know, overall how much does it cost for your whole trip? Can't find the total cost in your blog.
Old 12-02-2016, 05:48 PM   #32
Great Supremacy Member

Hey, I might be going to Iceland in November this year, just wanted to know how's the overall trip gonna cost?
Can't find many with overall total trip cost on google. It's just for my reference to get a sense of the range in SGD.
you don't say for how long and what you're gonna be doing, but I would say 5k is a decent to budget to start with.
Old 12-02-2016, 06:01 PM   #33
High Supremacy Member

you don't say for how long and what you're gonna be doing, but I would say 5k is a decent to budget to start with.
Oops, my bad.
14 days. Trying to budget for mostly scenic stuff. Exploring places. Self-driving. Catching Aurora. No helicopter or expensive activity. Maybe just dog sledding.
Old 13-02-2016, 10:00 AM   #34

Oops, my bad.
14 days. Trying to budget for mostly scenic stuff. Exploring places. Self-driving. Catching Aurora. No helicopter or expensive activity. Maybe just dog sledding.
Hi, just to chip in a bit if its useful. I spent a self drive week around Iceland back in Mar/Apr 2014. The rough breakdown cost of the rental Hyundai Tucson 2.7 4x4 was around S$980, petrol for the thirsty hippo ride came to almost S$850, the stay there costs around S$800.
Old 13-02-2016, 10:55 AM   #35
High Supremacy Member

Hi, just to chip in a bit if its useful. I spent a self drive week around Iceland back in Mar/Apr 2014. The rough breakdown cost of the rental Hyundai Tucson 2.7 4x4 was around S$980, petrol for the thirsty hippo ride came to almost S$850, the stay there costs around S$800.
Hello, thank for the reply.
So for the 1 week there, your total spend is around $2.7k before adding air ticket?
Old 13-02-2016, 10:22 PM   #36

Hello, thank for the reply.
So for the 1 week there, your total spend is around $2.7k before adding air ticket?
Yes sir...
Old 14-02-2016, 03:41 AM   #37
High Supremacy Member

Yes sir...
Thank. Looks like $4k is about there.

I saw this blog of a Sinkie spending $3.6k(including flights) and was wondering if I could do it at $3k...
Old 14-02-2016, 04:08 AM   #38

Everything is possible my friend, I am not very good with travel budget...I could perhaps save more if I have opt for a smaller car than a Tucson (I am alone anyway...) but the 4x4 gave me a peace of mind and confidence driving on the snowy roads.

I saw a sedan car with 4 Malaysians stuck in the ground on the way to Hverfjall...wanted to help but couldn't. The next was seeing a small hatchback having difficulties reaching Dettifoss because of the super slippery road, even the Tucson skidded slightly...

And of course, the accommodation choices will play a huge part but I value my own privacy and personal toilet so I guess it absolutely possible to trim down the costs depending on your travel preferences.
Old 14-02-2016, 10:50 AM   #39

Everything is possible my friend, I am not very good with travel budget...I could perhaps save more if I have opt for a smaller car than a Tucson (I am alone anyway...) but the 4x4 gave me a peace of mind and confidence driving on the snowy roads.

I saw a sedan car with 4 Malaysians stuck in the ground on the way to Hverfjall...wanted to help but couldn't. The next was seeing a small hatchback having difficulties reaching Dettifoss because of the super slippery road, even the Tucson skidded slightly...

And of course, the accommodation choices will play a huge part but I value my own privacy and personal toilet so I guess it absolutely possible to trim down the costs depending on your travel preferences.
Sounds dangerous. Got alternative! Southern lights also aurora right hahahha and its cheaper closer at Australia! Heard that the Northern lights will not be as bright for the next 20 years or something ar
Creathor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2016, 12:00 PM   #40

The scientists' prediction is after all a prediction as per what those locals whom I spoken to in Norway, Iceland and Canada. There was a year which predicted to have the strongest solar activities but still you may not be able to see it, either due to the clouds, rain or area you are at. Luck is the ultimate deciding factor of all. Take whatever mother nature decided to show you that faithful night.

Last edited by wanderlex; 14-02-2016 at 12:18 PM..
wanderlex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2016, 03:58 PM   #41

We just finished our Iceland trip, it's indeed a very beautiful place with a unique landscape. Just got lucky that it didn't rain during our 7 days, but the wind is really brutal.

Last comment, things are really bloody expensive! First night we got back to Edinburgh, I find things "very cheap" compare to Iceland hehe
wanderlex likes this.
Ekspakk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2016, 04:31 PM   #42

We just finished our Iceland trip, it's indeed a very beautiful place with a unique landscape. Just got lucky that it didn't rain during our 7 days, but the wind is really brutal.

Last comment, things are really bloody expensive! First night we got back to Edinburgh, I find things "very cheap" compare to Iceland hehe
Haha I agree, felt the same way when I left Iceland and started using Euro in Germany lol
Old 15-02-2016, 08:10 AM   #43

To those who self-drove to catch Northern Light, appreciate if you can share your strategy.

I understand that dark night, clear skies and decent aurora activity are required for any decent chance. Do I just drive around those areas shown on weather forecast site and hope for the best?

Thanks.
bosscaster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2016, 08:44 AM   #44

^ We didn't self drive, but we book a northern lights tour, so I will share what I learned during the tour. Basically for the tour company, they will always look for northern lights regardless of the forecast as long as the sky is clear. For them, forecast is merely a forecast and is not always 100% reliable, meaning northern lights can show up even if the forecast is really low and there's also possibility that it will not appear even if the forecast is high activity.

This is actually what we experienced during our stay, on our first day trying to see the northern lights, the forecast was good and we had clear sky but we didn't saw anything that night. 2 nights after, forecast is just at level 3 but we had an incredible display of northern lights, it showed up all over the sky in all directions which lasted for hours.

Lastly according to them, northern lights appear high in the atmosphere that if it shows up, it should be visible all through out Iceland as long as the sky is clear.
Ekspakk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2016, 10:07 AM   #45
High Supremacy Member

^ We didn't self drive, but we book a northern lights tour, so I will share what I learned during the tour. Basically for the tour company, they will always look for northern lights regardless of the forecast as long as the sky is clear. For them, forecast is merely a forecast and is not always 100% reliable, meaning northern lights can show up even if the forecast is really low and there's also possibility that it will not appear even if the forecast is high activity.

This is actually what we experienced during our stay, on our first day trying to see the northern lights, the forecast was good and we had clear sky but we didn't saw anything that night. 2 nights after, forecast is just at level 3 but we had an incredible display of northern lights, it showed up all over the sky in all directions which lasted for hours.

Lastly according to them, northern lights appear high in the atmosphere that if it shows up, it should be visible all through out Iceland as long as the sky is clear.
oh cool. thank for sharing.
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.