Chasing the Northern Lights - Iceland

winorlose

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
We actually camped at the glacier lagoon carpark at 9pm but didnt see anything for 30mins.. so we went back hotel to sleep.

Who knew we were awaken by the hotel staff at 1120pm to inform us of the lights just outside!

Last edited:

winorlose

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Yes its freaking cold balls out here..

Driving wise, still good. Not snowing yet and visibility is superb.

Tmr heading to see the plane wreck and blue lagoon.

2 more nights and we are out of here!

In winter its almost all white out there.. covered by snow.

10am sunrise, 4pm sunset.. so make sure u do homework on the weather to plan your iti

Last edited:

asiafrenz

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
We actually camped at the glacier lagoon carpark at 9pm but didnt see anything for 30mins.. so we went back hotel to sleep.

Who knew we were awaken by the hotel staff at 1120pm to inform us of the lights just outside!

Omg

12am here at Iceland!

Saw some of the most amazing lights in my life!!!

The lights were dancing infront of us!

Here at Hof - Hali Hotel

you saw those green dancing aurora on camera or only white greyish aurora with physical eye? very nice!

winorlose

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
you saw those green dancing aurora on camera or only white greyish aurora with physical eye? very nice!

With naked eyes, those green aurora were dancing right above us.

The camera brought them to life virtually haha

Yeah i knw what u meant by the white greyish aurora.. because thats what we saw far away when we were camping at Glacier Lagoon for it.. then felt jin sian and head back to hotel.

Guys pls bring a good camera with tripod.

Im using a Canon G16.. i shot with manual mode. Iso800, f1.8. Exposure is like 15”-30” in the dark. Without a tripod, almost impossible to hold steady to shoot cause its freezing cold outside

Last edited:

winorlose

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Got sell data sim card at the airport?
Any guidance on data sim ?

Yes, there is a shop after exiting luggage collection at the right. Go in buy Siminn Telco data sim. Cost about sgd$30 for 10gb

Very simple.. im using iphone.. put it in and works immediately

minamikaze

Reaction score
Anyone did snorkeling in the Silfra fissure? Was it worth it?
Most tours online do day trips from Reykjavik, and a few that meet on site are about the same price actually (all very expensive at at least S$180 - standard for Iceland I guess).
Just wondering if anyone did it and could share their experience.. and if there are any good deals if I were to meet the tour company on site and not require pickup.

Thanks!

winningeleven

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Got sell data sim card at the airport?
Any guidance on data sim ?

Beside the 10gb data bundle

There is another 5gb with 50 mins phone call in Iceland. If u think u might need to call within iceland.

Both data sim are provided by Siminn.
Same price too. 2900 isk

irvinsalt

Reaction score
Most tours online do day trips from Reykjavik, and a few that meet on site are about the same price actually (all very expensive at at least S$180 - standard for Iceland I guess).
Just wondering if anyone did it and could share their experience.. and if there are any good deals if I were to meet the tour company on site and not require pickup.

Thanks!

super duper worth it. money can awes earn back. you spend so much go so far. might as well do. before the fissure gets bigger (since iceland is moving apart 2.5cm a year due to its location on the tectonic plates. google dive.is and find other spots in iceland if u find silfra too mainstream. there’s also a mall in south iceland with a glass floor that shows the earthquake crack and also this earthquake simulator. MUST TRY

Perisher

Greater Supremacy Member
Deluxe Member
Reaction score

Thanks!

Not bad, nothing much to see but deep blue. Snorkelling but won't wet your clothes. Float without doing anything. Quite a good experience.
Swimming in that deep winter then come up to hot chocolate is awesome.

But quite expensive. :s13:

minamikaze

Reaction score
Anyone tried using starhub roaming plan in Iceland? How was the coverage and speed, especially if I'm going to be doing self drive?
I'm wondering whether I need to buy a sim card or just use the roaming plan (the plan is covered by my company after all).

Thanks!

naz1983

Reaction score

Thanks!

me did! super worth it lor..

went with dive.is. small group tour so you feel pretty relaxed. the silfra is at thingvillir park around 1 hour journey from reykjavik. once there the guide/dive master will help you don your dry suit. there is another layer of thermals given before wearing the dry suit to you wont feel too cold. The dry suit will help you with float so you just follow the gentle current.

The guide will then explain the route that you are going. Some actually horlan and end up in the lake which makes the snorkle last longer. hahah..

Highlight is definitely the clear and cold water. You could see up to 40m visibility which is pretty amazing. And while in the water, make sure you take a sip. one of the freshest drink you will ever taste. I think there was a leak in my dry suit so i was actually kind of damp in the strategic places but nothing much to be worried about.

Dive.is actually offered me a golden circle tour with decent discount after the snorkle but i already did that the day before so have decline.

damn i miss iceland.:sad:

Perisher

Greater Supremacy Member
Deluxe Member
Reaction score
me did! super worth it lor..

went with dive.is. small group tour so you feel pretty relaxed. the silfra is at thingvillir park around 1 hour journey from reykjavik. once there the guide/dive master will help you don your dry suit. there is another layer of thermals given before wearing the dry suit to you wont feel too cold. The dry suit will help you with float so you just follow the gentle current.

The guide will then explain the route that you are going. Some actually horlan and end up in the lake which makes the snorkle last longer. hahah..

Highlight is definitely the clear and cold water. You could see up to 40m visibility which is pretty amazing. And while in the water, make sure you take a sip. one of the freshest drink you will ever taste. I think there was a leak in my dry suit so i was actually kind of damp in the strategic places but nothing much to be worried about.

Dive.is actually offered me a golden circle tour with decent discount after the snorkle but i already did that the day before so have decline.

damn i miss iceland.:sad:

Didn't remember got another layer of thermal. Mine was wear own clothes+dry suit. But ya, missing Iceland! :(

Perisher

Greater Supremacy Member
Deluxe Member
Reaction score
The whole pop of Singaporeans go there together also won't feel crowded...

winorlose

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I think iceland this country go once in a life can liao.

1 thing i felt over rated was paying sgd$250 to go into some **** ice cave.

The ice cave wasn’t even 50m long.. just walk abit in and that was it.

Also the plane wreck.. not worth seeing at all. So dont waste your time walking 8km to and fro

winorlose

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
If anyone of u staying at Selfoss, this has got to be the best airbnb there!

The owner is super nice.. can u imagine u came at 11pm to chase northern lights with us? This is the place we saw our first northern lights as well.

The house is fully equipped.. fridge filled with food all can be consumed. Great Tv with netflix..

Best to go with friends coz theres 4 bedrooms.

https://www.airbnb.com/rooms/12481122

Perisher

Greater Supremacy Member
Deluxe Member
Reaction score

Also the plane wreck.. not worth seeing at all. So dont waste your time walking 8km to and fro

Yup, the cave melted quite a lot.

I think the plane wreck is a cool instagrammable place, as for worth the walk or not, depends on how much you enjoy hiking in the snow. :s13:
Took a few hours so weather is a very big thing as there won't be any shelter nearby.

naz1983

Reaction score

if we are in europe can treat iceland like go bali/taiwan.

I asked some of the tourist from europe/us and their flight was only about 200+ and most of them stayed for about a week or so

I think the different seasons brings different views so another reason to splurge on iceland..hahah

yeah the plane wreck is ....a plane wreck:s22:...

im surprised by the amount of people willing to walk that far just to see it though. the carpark was almost full

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.