HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

Chasing the Northern Lights - Iceland

Like Tree179Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 26-10-2015, 10:04 PM   #1

Chasing the Northern Lights - Iceland

Hi, my 2 friends and I (all girls) are planning to hunt for auroras in Iceland around 20-30 Nov (yes, next month!). Looking for khakis to join us in our travels, preferably someone who can (and dare to) drive as we are intending to rent a car.
Please drop me a PM if you are interested.

Thanks!
rubyrain90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2015, 08:28 PM   #2

I was there last year in nov and did the ring road. If you need any help, feel free to post here
Old 06-11-2015, 01:06 AM   #3

Iceland aurora tour

I went there couple of times. We rented a car to drive downwards to the south of Iceland. As for the aurora, it's advised that you join the bus tour because we are not familiar with the area, at night it's total darkness and you may get stuck in a heavy snow condition. In addition,the tour agency will advise us on the weather condition whether they are going to depart for the search of the northern's light.
prada young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2015, 08:06 AM   #4
Supremacy Member

I went on overnight tours when in iceland. We had luck when stopping at Hekla near River ranga. NL just outside the restaurant. So can try that side if you are in Southern Coast. Another night we were coming back from Snaefellsness and stop at 'whale fjord' near Reykjavik next to a small waterfall. Not bad as well.
We also went on those hunting tours but I notice they like to go near Thingvelir and golden circle. One good place will be near Geysir where the air would be warmer.
jackieatbtu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2015, 12:20 AM   #5

I was there few years ago.. but sad.. can't see the aurora as the sky abit too cloudy...

hope to go back there and see again..

when the best time to go and see aurora?
mrtan10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2015, 02:54 AM   #6

I saw the Aurora at 3 separate places in Europe. Iceland, Norway and Sweden. The first time in Iceland was during December when there were early winter, very challenging as it snowed heavily everyday. Managed to get a glimpse of it. Returned to Iceland 2 years later in late January,this time round it's like tio TOTO, Angels dancing in the sky full bloom.
As for Norway and Sweden, it was about end Jan and early February, good aurora activity and cleared sky, therefore managed to get some good pictures in the frozen cold deep winter.
pepper goh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2015, 01:14 PM   #7

I saw the Aurora at 3 separate places in Europe. Iceland, Norway and Sweden. The first time in Iceland was during December when there were early winter, very challenging as it snowed heavily everyday. Managed to get a glimpse of it. Returned to Iceland 2 years later in late January,this time round it's like tio TOTO, Angels dancing in the sky full bloom.
As for Norway and Sweden, it was about end Jan and early February, good aurora activity and cleared sky, therefore managed to get some good pictures in the frozen cold deep winter.
Being able to see aurora from Iceland is like tio TOTO as they would have the most challenging cloud conditions compared to the other areas - i think the least number of times aurora being seen in the area is Iceland, and it's mainly due to the cloud covers.

I have seen it in Finland, and also Norway. Yet to head to Sweden and Iceland for it. Although I think I would only be heading to Iceland around Aug period which will not be good for Aurora.
alpc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2015, 04:09 PM   #8

I'm planning to go there too end of this year too. We've been waiting for a long time so I really hope that the weather don't fail us. When will you guys be going?
Ice.Ice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2015, 08:13 PM   #9

We'll be going Feb next year, any recommendation how long we should stay since it's winter?
Ekspakk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2015, 09:49 PM   #10

If you're chasing the northern lights I recommend staying at least a week. It has to be very cold i.e. no clouds, very clear skies for the lights to be seen. So it's all dependent on the weather. Some people have stayed for a week and did not manage to get to see the lights. To get to see the lights you have to go up as north as possible, that is why Tromso in Norway is one of the best places to see them as you're in the arctic circle.
vofzxy and Ice.Ice like this.
Old 25-11-2015, 06:11 PM   #11

If you're chasing the northern lights I recommend staying at least a week. It has to be very cold i.e. no clouds, very clear skies for the lights to be seen. So it's all dependent on the weather. Some people have stayed for a week and did not manage to get to see the lights. To get to see the lights you have to go up as north as possible, that is why Tromso in Norway is one of the best places to see them as you're in the arctic circle.
thanks for the info! shall make adjustments to my trip.
Old 25-11-2015, 11:33 PM   #12

thanks for the info! shall make adjustments to my trip.
No worries. If you catch one of the many northern lights seeking buses (in Tromso) there, they'll try their best to find the lights for you, even if it means taking you to the Finnish border. It'll cost about 1000 Norwegian crowns or 164 SGD per person, so if you're taking that route then budget that in.
Old 29-11-2015, 06:20 PM   #13

I just came back from Iceland 2 weeks ago...absolutely beautiful place and possibly the best country I have ever visited.

My trip report is at https://thehonestexplorer.wordpress.com/

Let me know if you need any information anytime, or want me to share my itinerary or something!
JustOneOfUs likes this.
vincearteta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2015, 04:42 PM   #14

No worries. If you catch one of the many northern lights seeking buses (in Tromso) there, they'll try their best to find the lights for you, even if it means taking you to the Finnish border. It'll cost about 1000 Norwegian crowns or 164 SGD per person, so if you're taking that route then budget that in.
okkays! will take that into consideration. thanks once again! look forward to that trip. excited much! hahah
Old 08-12-2015, 02:09 PM   #15

I'm checking the prices of multi-day tour and they are damn expensive, I will be poor after this trip...
Ekspakk is offline   Reply With Quote
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.