First timer - UK, France or Germany?

thwysg

Reaction score
I've not been to Europe before and am thinking of doing DIY either 2-week or 3-week trip in one country. Most likely buying open-jaw tickets.

The mister is keen in photography (street and landscapes) and we love good food. We are okay to travel long hours to smaller towns for local festivals, food and scenery. Also alright to splurge a little too if it was necessary to. Need to do reading up (should be in 2019 since we are heading to Japan in 2018).

Which country would be good for a first timer after Easter holidays? Doesn't have to be the above three countries though I'd done extensive research on Germany before and we have friends staying in UK.

Beta_Tester

Honorary Member
Deluxe Member
Reaction score
UK.. Easy for first timers. U can move ard Britain Ireland Scotland with 3 weeks of time. Plenty of old world charm. Well connected cities there.

couch.potato

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I second uk! Very easy for first timers.
France and Germany much harder to go around.

dilphinus

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I second uk! Very easy for first timers.
France and Germany much harder to go around.

In the city itself or inter states?

I've been to the UK, France and Germany and I don't find France and Germany 'harder' to get around.

thwysg

Reaction score

I've been to the UK, France and Germany and I don't find France and Germany 'harder' to get around.

As dilphinus mentioned, I don't think it's that hard to travel around within one country on its own. Just probably take a little more time to travel to smaller towns. We are fine taking the journey slow. Could always do a second trip if we missed out other areas.

I'm worried about safety and travel in Europe as I'm not familiar as compared to Japan and Hong Kong.

couch.potato

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score

Hmmmm to me, I think just for first timers and unseasoned travelers lah, first is language, easier mah.

Secondly is England attractions more "centralized", go one place can see a lot of stuff, but cus Germany and France is larger so might have more traveling to do if you want to see more stuff. Like taking day trips from London is easier for me etc. Some places in France and Germany only go to see one main thing (again, my preference cus people might want to see different things).

Of course, all is IMO. Different people got different travel styles, so maybe it's the same to other people. :spin:

Don't shoot me.

In terms of safety, depends on what cities you travel to...

Last edited:

dilphinus

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hmmmm to me, I think just for first timers and unseasoned travelers lah, first is language, easier mah.

English is Germany's second language. Most Germans speak English and signs are in English as well.

A lot of French speak English too. It's a matter of they want to speak (the language) or not. Likewise, most, if not all tourist attractions and signs are bilingual too.

couch.potato

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
English is Germany's second language. Most Germans speak English and signs are in English as well.

A lot of French speak English too. It's a matter of they want to speak (the language) or not. Likewise, most, if not all tourist attractions and signs are bilingual too.

Like I said, that's just one part what. Everyone travel differently. People ask for opinions so I said mine lor... liddis next time better don't reply... :s22:

And btw, language I don't mean locals speaking, just the ease of knowing the area cus so hard to spell and pronounce some areas' names, take a while more to familiarize than if all in English/

But with that I'm out lah... i just answered the question with my opinion... seasoned travelers can take over i suppose

thwysg

Reaction score
Like I said, that's just one part what. Everyone travel differently. People ask for opinions so I said mine lor... liddis next time better don't reply... :s22:

And btw, language I don't mean locals speaking, just the ease of knowing the area cus so hard to spell and pronounce some areas' names, take a while more to familiarize than if all in English/

But with that I'm out lah... i just answered the question with my opinion... seasoned travelers can take over i suppose

Yes, language plays a big part - works way better if one could speak the local language like in HK and Japan.

Chill guys~ I'll still take all opinions into consideration. :)

And subjected to approval from my mister!

jarvis

Master Member
Reaction score
For me, the idea of France is much nicer than the reality of France. I've been to various parts in 4 trips and, apart from Cannes, I haven't really liked the rest.

I very much prefer Italy and Spain. I think the food there is much better and the people a lot more friendly.

For UK, London is for work but outside of London it's nice - the scenery in Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland (Ireland is not UK) is nice.

Don't be constrained by borders. It's about connections - whether it's trains / planes / roads. If you like landscapes, then drive and stay in the countryside where it's cheaper, safer and the food's better. Of course, there will be city stints as well, but then you've got to factor the car in (e.g. whether to pay to park or to return and rent again).

If you're looking at a first time trip then avoid winter where there are usually more complications caused by weather and daylight hours are shorter. I usually prefer to travel in spring or autumn (summer is hot and it also tends to be crowded and more expensive). Autumn colours tend to be more dramatic if he's into photography.

Din0saurus

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
For me, the idea of France is much nicer than the reality of France. I've been to various parts in 4 trips and, apart from Cannes, I haven't really liked the rest.

I very much prefer Italy and Spain. I think the food there is much better and the people a lot more friendly.

For UK, London is for work but outside of London it's nice - the scenery in Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland (Ireland is not UK) is nice.

Don't be constrained by borders. It's about connections - whether it's trains / planes / roads. If you like landscapes, then drive and stay in the countryside where it's cheaper, safer and the food's better. Of course, there will be city stints as well, but then you've got to factor the car in (e.g. whether to pay to park or to return and rent again).

If you're looking at a first time trip then avoid winter where there are usually more complications caused by weather and daylight hours are shorter. I usually prefer to travel in spring or autumn (summer is hot and it also tends to be crowded and more expensive). Autumn colours tend to be more dramatic if he's into photography.

What did you not like about France and which parts have you been? I'm heading there in June and trying to set my expectations right.

thwysg

Reaction score

As I've mentioned earlier, we are looking at traveling after Easter holidays. We don't drive so we could either take day tours or public transport.

GenuineSeller

Reaction score
As I've mentioned earlier, we are looking at traveling after Easter holidays. We don't drive so we could either take day tours or public transport.

Don't drive to me is difficult....anyway, my preference for the 3 countries would be :-

1) France... will be great for photography and food, of course!
2) UK........ will be easier to drive as driver side is the same as Singapore
3) Germany, so far not so keen... Italy and Spain will be better choice.

Some photos taken in France...

http://i1191.photobucket.com/albums/z467/Genuineseller/Travel/20140517_164846_zps4721730b.jpg[/IMG][/URL] "Swimming Pool" and during high tide, one could only see part of the "stairs" photo below:-

How about Mont Saint Michel

GenuineSeller

Reaction score
What did you not like about France and which parts have you been? I'm heading there in June and trying to set my expectations right.

France is nice!! Which areas are you going? One will need 1 month min to drive 1 round around France!

klavier

Reaction score
Not been to UK but have been to France and Germany..
Sorry to suggest something out of the 3 countries you have shortlisted but for a first trip I would say Italy...

From the monuments of Ancient Rome to the birth of renaissance (Florence) and the charming (yet overly touristy) Venice..

For me nothing beats the splendor of Italy..

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.