Iceland Northern Lights

wacks_505

Reaction score
Hi guys,

Would like to ask for your opinions from you seasoned travellers. Most likely I am going alone (forever alone :X)

I'm keen to check out the Iceland northern lights this end of year. I have two options:

1. Chan Brothers (or similar) type of package trips where Northern Lights sightings are NOT guaranteed

2. Solo travelling. A little bit wary because need to drive alot and I am not keen to do so as a solo traveller in case of accidents/ getting lost etc.

Anyone has a review of a similar Chan Brothers trip experience?

Or feels solo travelling in Iceland for Northern Lights is easy?

TIA :)

Din0saurus

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Iceland is easy to solo travel. Probably cheaper to take local tours for the Chan Brother route than paying Chan Brothers even if you don't drive. Lots of info in the Europe sub-forum.

artemov

Reaction score
I am also going to Europe (London) in December. Thinking of hopping over to Iceland for the aurora.
Would the 2016/2017 season be a good time? I heard the solar maximum is kinda over ...

wacks_505

Reaction score
Iceland is easy to solo travel. Probably cheaper to take local tours for the Chan Brother route than paying Chan Brothers even if you don't drive. Lots of info in the Europe sub-forum.

Thanks dude imma go check it out.

Idk I guess with a local tour group I won't feel so alienated ! :o

wacks_505

Reaction score
I am also going to Europe (London) in December. Thinking of hopping over to Iceland for the aurora.
Would the 2016/2017 season be a good time? I heard the solar maximum is kinda over ...

Hey SUPPOSEDLY this is the last year of the max solar activity, and the following years will be in decline. And the cycle is a 10 year cycle, so the next best time would be 2025/2026 apparently. Not sure how true this is because Northern Lights like heng suay one haha

nomoney25

Master Member
Reaction score
What I read iceland network connection along ring road should be good. Just make sure u got a prepaid card , reliable car rental . Check road and weather conditions. Have u drive in winter before. That is what I would worry if I have to visit there in dec. Never drive in winter snowy conditions

coolhead

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I only drive left hand before but not winter. Im going in october so the danger for me is the wind.

wacks_505

Reaction score
Appreciate all the advice here.

As I have never driven in winter conditions before, and I have heard many horror stories of getting stuck in ice for hours in other threads, looks like I am going with a tour package either ground tours in Iceland or with a local tour agency.

Thanks guys :)

jarvis

Master Member
Reaction score
Personally, I won't go with Singapore tour. Just look for local tours there. If you're into photography, look for photography tours (I went with Artic Shots) because they know where to bring you to / at what time, etc. I certainly learnt a lot, especially about night photography because you do have to play with your settings to shoot the aurora. It is more expensive than normal tours, but I think it's worth it because it was a small group (1 car - and it could also just be 2 of you) and a lot more personal.

Note that aurora sightings are NEVER guaranteed. If you're joining local tours for that, I would suggest you join small tours and not the big bus tour type. Small tours in cars are a lot more flexible in where they can bring you to whereas big buses will only be able to bus you to certain areas with bus parks and there you will be taking wide angle long exposure photos only to have some one use flash or walk and stand somewhere in your shot

Also, the wind is a killer and you really need to make sure you're prepared for it (mentally and dressing) otherwise you won't enjoy yourself. If you're going aurora hunting, you will be spending a lot of time out in the open because you're waiting for mother nature.

wacks_505

Reaction score
Personally, I won't go with Singapore tour. Just look for local tours there. If you're into photography, look for photography tours (I went with Artic Shots) because they know where to bring you to / at what time, etc. I certainly learnt a lot, especially about night photography because you do have to play with your settings to shoot the aurora. It is more expensive than normal tours, but I think it's worth it because it was a small group (1 car - and it could also just be 2 of you) and a lot more personal.

Note that aurora sightings are NEVER guaranteed. If you're joining local tours for that, I would suggest you join small tours and not the big bus tour type. Small tours in cars are a lot more flexible in where they can bring you to whereas big buses will only be able to bus you to certain areas with bus parks and there you will be taking wide angle long exposure photos only to have some one use flash or walk and stand somewhere in your shot

Also, the wind is a killer and you really need to make sure you're prepared for it (mentally and dressing) otherwise you won't enjoy yourself. If you're going aurora hunting, you will be spending a lot of time out in the open because you're waiting for mother nature.

Hi thanks for ur informative reply.

Can i check with u, for photo tours, my impression is
1) You may not do as much exploring / sight seeing due to the time taken for photography
2) You may need quite a lot of camera/equipment. I have a normal canon eos dslr and thats about it. No filters/good lenses etc. Only have kit lens and a wide angle lens (10-22mm) Any idea if there is a lot more to buy? I dont even have a normal tripod haha

Yeah precisely i'm not banking on the northern lights so Im thinking of just doing local tours in Iceland to sightsee :)

nomoney25

Master Member
Reaction score
I believe tripod is a must! Who can really hold a camera so steadily in more than 2 second for night shoot???!

dexboi

Master Member
Reaction score
Chan Brother is offering a special guided tour from SG to Iceland with Mediacorp artist Elvin Ng departing on 8 Feb 2017. Lol. Join them for a fuss free trip, but you'll appear on TV. haha

http://www.chanbrothers.com/flexi/i...cier-explorer-with-mediacorp-artiste-elvin-ng

Came across Elvin Ng's package when i went to Chan Brothers to enquire on Iceland as well. Most of their package are Free & Easy, i.e. they organise local tours there for you on a daily basis. The rest of the time you will be free to roam by yourself.

coolhead

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Chan Brother is offering a special guided tour from SG to Iceland with Mediacorp artist Elvin Ng departing on 8 Feb 2017. Lol. Join them for a fuss free trip, but you'll appear on TV. haha

http://www.chanbrothers.com/flexi/i...cier-explorer-with-mediacorp-artiste-elvin-ng

Came across Elvin Ng's package when i went to Chan Brothers to enquire on Iceland as well. Most of their package are Free & Easy, i.e. they organise local tours there for you on a daily basis. The rest of the time you will be free to roam by yourself.

$4688/pax excluding airport tax and surcharges is very costly for 8d7n there though.... assuming going as a couple, it'll be about 4488 and including those airport tax and charges, it'll be 4600 approx/pax. There are 8 meals you have to cater for yourself, that'll make it about 4800/pax. With souvenir purchase sim card etc etc, probably 5.5-6k/pax is reasonable.

nomoney25

Master Member
Reaction score
8 Feb is considered off season . Hotel accommodation and car rentals are definitely cheaper but u have a very short daylight and plus your travel depend a lot on the unpredictable winter weather .

Cost breakdown as compared to chan brother.

Assuming fare to europe plus iceland $1500
7 nights accommodation 7x$150 $1100

u still left $2000 to plan your expenses for your guided tour there or everything do it yourself with self drive. A typical 4wd should cost less than $1k for 7 days to 8 days drive.

coolhead

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
8 Feb is considered off season . Hotel accommodation and car rentals are definitely cheaper but u have a very short daylight and plus your travel depend a lot on the unpredictable winter weather .

Cost breakdown as compared to chan brother.

Assuming fare to europe plus iceland $1500
7 nights accommodation 7x$150 $1100

u still left $2000 to plan your expenses for your guided tour there or everything do it yourself with self drive. A typical 4wd should cost less than $1k for 7 days to 8 days drive.

My estimated breakdown below for a 11d10n stay in Iceland. The cost is $6700 in total for 2 pax. Note that if going for 4WD, you will need to apportion more for car rental and petrol.

Dollars in SGD for 2 pax
Airflight $2390
Accommodation Iceland $1385
Car rental $925
Food $1000
Petrol $300
Attraction Iceland $500
Sim card 2 pax $70
insurance 2 pax (Personal) $80
Automobile insurance $50
international license $20

alpc

Reaction score
Hi thanks for ur informative reply.

Can i check with u, for photo tours, my impression is
1) You may not do as much exploring / sight seeing due to the time taken for photography
2) You may need quite a lot of camera/equipment. I have a normal canon eos dslr and thats about it. No filters/good lenses etc. Only have kit lens and a wide angle lens (10-22mm) Any idea if there is a lot more to buy? I dont even have a normal tripod haha
Yeah precisely i'm not banking on the northern lights so Im thinking of just doing local tours in Iceland to sightsee :)

1) Not sure about the Iceland ones, but my Finland photography tour include reindeer farm, husky sledge ride, and a sightseeing to a Norway fjord (since we were pretty near Norway border) with 3 nights of aurora hunting... Because of the 2nd night late appearance of the aurora, and with the agreement of the group, we did not head out to the Norway fjord as part of the day trips. We just drove around looking for wildlife - reindeers and mooses for our wildlife photography instead. Secondly, day light in winter times are short, you can't "see" much anyway.
2) No, you just need one camera that can do manual focus with 5 - 20 secs exposure and fast wide angle lens. My first trip (finland) I used a F4 12-24mm, 2nd trip (Norway) I used a F2.8 11-16mm lens. Tripod is a must, cable release is also a must (unless your camera can do time lapse).

wacks_505

Reaction score
LOL don't think I'd fancy appearing on TV with Elvin Ng.

I'm leaning towards booking ground tours with Icelandic travel companies.

wacks_505

Reaction score
1) Not sure about the Iceland ones, but my Finland photography tour include reindeer farm, husky sledge ride, and a sightseeing to a Norway fjord (since we were pretty near Norway border) with 3 nights of aurora hunting... Because of the 2nd night late appearance of the aurora, and with the agreement of the group, we did not head out to the Norway fjord as part of the day trips. We just drove around looking for wildlife - reindeers and mooses for our wildlife photography instead. Secondly, day light in winter times are short, you can't "see" much anyway.
2) No, you just need one camera that can do manual focus with 5 - 20 secs exposure and fast wide angle lens. My first trip (finland) I used a F4 12-24mm, 2nd trip (Norway) I used a F2.8 11-16mm lens. Tripod is a must, cable release is also a must (unless your camera can do time lapse).

Bro thanks for your informative reply.

I'm quite a photography newbie. Would my 10-22mm F3.5-4.5 make a big difference with a f2.8? Of course I wouldn't have constant f3.5. And for cable release, its purely just to prevent distortion right when I press the shutter? I thought for long exposures you just press the shutter on top once and that's it (assuming the tripod is stable), so I shouldn't have too much distortion?

alpc

Reaction score
Well, as long as it's not done via cable release there is always a chance of blurness due to the movement of your hand on the camera, so cable release is the best way to release the shutter without shaking the camera (it will shake a bit, even if you have it on a good and steady tripod, due to the pressure from your hands).

As for F3.5 to 4.5 lens, it will depends on the brightness of the aurora. If it is super bright, like those within Kp 5, it's not an issue. If it is rather faint like those Kp 2, then it might not be able to get it without noise. You could ask around and see if any of your friends has a wide angle lens with the specs you want and borrow from them. I borrowed the 11-16mm F2.8 from a friend of mine (and it's the tokina version, so it's not an expensive lens).

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.