HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

Prepare to visit Europe on my own - Italy, Scotland, London

Share This Page
HardwareZone.com on Facebook

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 26-11-2011, 01:53 PM   #61

I guess your friend dresses non brand that the locals of Europe don't bother to take a glimpse at him.

Can you check my pm? I finally have someone who understand my anxiety and worries. Excuse me, may i ask what are hidden safety pack? Are you referring to neck pouch?

Thanks for your words.
I think you are quite missing the point of pokydot's posting.

There is the right kind of anxiety that arises from going to someplace new, and there is the wrong sort of paranoia from watching too much Crimewatch and thinking that "that is real life". Pardon me for saying, but I think you have too much of the latter and too little of the former.

The main point of pokydot's posting was that she took sensible precautions, and she had a great time, with NO INCIDENT AT ALL. Did you catch that point she was trying to make? It was the same for her friend in Barcelona: NO INCIDENT AT ALL.

A lot of it also depends on how we behave and how we dress; most people who get pickpocketed are sadly, asking for it. You mentioned correctly that wearing in a way to not stand out, i.e. non-branded clothes, is one way; another way is to behave smartly, wisely, not acting blur, and being observant, without being paranoid.

A lot of these things can't be taught, but comes simply with experience. There is always a first time for everybody.

I mentioned that you may wish to consider skipping Italy since you are so paranoid; it is not worth your worry if you cannot enjoy yourself while visiting Italy and if you're worried about pickpockets, kidnappers, and murderers at every corner you turn while walking alone in the streets of Rome or Florence, with the music of "Jaws" playing in the background of your mind.

My wife was recently alone in the center of Rome shopping by herself and she had a great time, WITH NO INCIDENT AT ALL.

Last edited by tanchoo1; 26-11-2011 at 01:59 PM..
tanchoo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2011, 02:00 PM   #62

Haiz. U are a guy, so it is okay for you to talk alone at night. As for girls? I dun think it is safe for them to walk alone at night. Unless crowded places.
That is true anywhere in the world, right? Every city has safe places and dangerous places.

Try walking in Geylang alone at 2am in the morning.
Old 26-11-2011, 02:05 PM   #63

So much worry

With so much worry Smarties, why not just go on a tour package, at least for your first trip to Europe? Then for future trips, you can decide if you want to go F&E.
Old 27-11-2011, 01:42 AM   #64
Arch-Supremacy Member

just bring minimum amount of cash your insurance cover. so even if u got pickpocketed , you can make a claim from your travel insurance. Said 500 dollars or so.

One strategy is to withdraw that amount whenever you reach a new city and had run out of cash (just incur abit of cost) save the hassle of carrying too much cash.
Old 27-11-2011, 01:51 AM   #65

With so much worry Smarties, why not just go on a tour package, at least for your first trip to Europe? Then for future trips, you can decide if you want to go F&E.
Think you have done enough, tried enough. Better stop..... Else if anything were to happen to her during her trip.... Touch wood touch wood...
GenuineSeller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2011, 09:59 AM   #66

I think you are quite missing the point of pokydot's posting.

There is the right kind of anxiety that arises from going to someplace new, and there is the wrong sort of paranoia from watching too much Crimewatch and thinking that "that is real life". Pardon me for saying, but I think you have too much of the latter and too little of the former.

The main point of pokydot's posting was that she took sensible precautions, and she had a great time, with NO INCIDENT AT ALL. Did you catch that point she was trying to make? It was the same for her friend in Barcelona: NO INCIDENT AT ALL.

A lot of it also depends on how we behave and how we dress; most people who get pickpocketed are sadly, asking for it. You mentioned correctly that wearing in a way to not stand out, i.e. non-branded clothes, is one way; another way is to behave smartly, wisely, not acting blur, and being observant, without being paranoid.

A lot of these things can't be taught, but comes simply with experience. There is always a first time for everybody.

I mentioned that you may wish to consider skipping Italy since you are so paranoid; it is not worth your worry if you cannot enjoy yourself while visiting Italy and if you're worried about pickpockets, kidnappers, and murderers at every corner you turn while walking alone in the streets of Rome or Florence, with the music of "Jaws" playing in the background of your mind.

My wife was recently alone in the center of Rome shopping by herself and she had a great time, WITH NO INCIDENT AT ALL.
I assume that you stay somewhere - probably italy in europe as a PR? If yes, may i know what kind of job do you have in europe? I always want to work in Europe somewhere. Maybe Scotland. I heard that it is in poverty.

Haiz. Yup, porkydot did mention that she enjoyed so far with no incident. I know.

FYI, I went to Taiwan with a friend. I ended up going alone to visit while she had to rest a lot in hostel for 2 whole days. She said there are lots of crooks in Taipei and the news reported that men kidnapped women and sell them to prostituition and rape women. She also heard lots of wolf-whistling from men. So she daren't go out alone at night.

I strongly disagree with her because I could see there are some sexy women and schoolgirls out on the streets. In other words, it is safe to go out alone at night. It was in Ximending. If the news are really true, women especially schoolgirls should stay at home and police patrol should be stepped up frequently at night.

We ended up arguing so I ended up going out alone to visit Ximending within 5 mins' walk from the hostel. I feel that Taipei is no different form Singapore.

It may be another story for Europe - who knows the foreigners may have strong disdain for Asian people especially the aliens from the outer space? Even in the daytime. I really dunno. I don't know the mentality of European people unlike the mentality of Taiwanese people.

Last edited by Smarties; 27-11-2011 at 10:10 AM..
Smarties is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2011, 10:08 AM   #67

Woah! I prefer backpacking trips than tour package. It allows to gain more experiences and more flexible.
Old 27-11-2011, 10:49 AM   #68

Think you have done enough, tried enough. Better stop..... Else if anything were to happen to her during her trip.... Touch wood touch wood...
You do have a point there... the more worried and afraid we look, the more we are a target for thieves. Whereas if we look confident and assured, we are less of a target.
Old 27-11-2011, 11:07 AM   #69

I assume that you stay somewhere - probably italy in europe as a PR? If yes, may i know what kind of job do you have in europe? I always want to work in Europe somewhere. Maybe Scotland. I heard that it is in poverty.

Haiz. Yup, porkydot did mention that she enjoyed so far with no incident. I know.

FYI, I went to Taiwan with a friend. I ended up going alone to visit while she had to rest a lot in hostel for 2 whole days. She said there are lots of crooks in Taipei and the news reported that men kidnapped women and sell them to prostituition and rape women. She also heard lots of wolf-whistling from men. So she daren't go out alone at night.

I strongly disagree with her because I could see there are some sexy women and schoolgirls out on the streets. In other words, it is safe to go out alone at night. It was in Ximending. If the news are really true, women especially schoolgirls should stay at home and police patrol should be stepped up frequently at night.

We ended up arguing so I ended up going out alone to visit Ximending within 5 mins' walk from the hostel. I feel that Taipei is no different form Singapore.

It may be another story for Europe - who knows the foreigners may have strong disdain for Asian people especially the aliens from the outer space? Even in the daytime. I really dunno. I don't know the mentality of European people unlike the mentality of Taiwanese people.
Scotland is in poverty? Wow your general knowledge is really up to scratch, huh? Sure Scotland is not doing well, and getting a job is a problem for some, but poverty is far too strong a term. You should travel there and see how the average Scot in "poverty" is still generally living a better quality of life than the average Singaporean in "economic growth". They don't live in pigeon holes, own usually one car per adult, enjoy free healthcare, and have a lower cost of living, even after all the taxes are factored in. Not to mention spectacular scenery in Scotland and the rest of UK is just at their doorstep.

Honestly, enough paranoia already, Smarties?

You will find racial discrimination everywhere, even in SG. So what if you get a few rude people? What's the big deal?

A lot of times the so-called disdain we get from the locals is because of our bad behavior, especially in France, where lack of etiquette is badly frowned upon.

It may surprise you to know that there are LOTS of Asians in the large European cities, especially London. Even Paris has a Chinatown. So apparently, Asians manage to survive there! Surprise surprise...

I stayed four years in The Netherlands, one year in UK, and we've been to France every year since 2005. I repeat, NO INCIDENT AT ALL.

We've already beaten this topic to death. Enough discussion and just decide. Please just go or don't go. Either way, there's nothing more for us to say. And please stop watching Crimewatch? It is not good for you. Also mix with less paranoid friends, that's not good for you either.

With such paranoia for Europe, you still want to work there? Jeez, just travel there for a holiday first and see if you don't die of paranoia, ok?

I hope this is the end of the thread.

I apologize if I come across as rude; but I feel it is now time for less talk and more action. Or at least change the topic, and focus on places you would like to visit. Tell us your interests, do a bit of research on the Internet, and we can give constructive suggestions. I know you have done a bit of that, but a well-structured post on what you want to see, why you want to see it, etc. would help us to answer you better.

The ball is now in your court.

Last edited by tanchoo1; 27-11-2011 at 02:00 PM..
Old 27-11-2011, 09:34 PM   #70

You do have a point there... the more worried and afraid we look, the more we are a target for thieves. Whereas if we look confident and assured, we are less of a target.
I do agree. I just have to ask more questions so that I will be better prepared and have rough idea about what Europe is like. Nvm. No need for you to be nasty or sarcastic, okay? Thks anyway for your advice.
Old 27-11-2011, 09:51 PM   #71

Scotland is in poverty? Wow your general knowledge is really up to scratch, huh? Sure Scotland is not doing well, and getting a job is a problem for some, but poverty is far too strong a term. You should travel there and see how the average Scot in "poverty" is still generally living a better quality of life than the average Singaporean in "economic growth". They don't live in pigeon holes, own usually one car per adult, enjoy free healthcare, and have a lower cost of living, even after all the taxes are factored in. Not to mention spectacular scenery in Scotland and the rest of UK is just at their doorstep.

Honestly, enough paranoia already, Smarties?

You will find racial discrimination everywhere, even in SG. So what if you get a few rude people? What's the big deal?

A lot of times the so-called disdain we get from the locals is because of our bad behavior, especially in France, where lack of etiquette is badly frowned upon.

It may surprise you to know that there are LOTS of Asians in the large European cities, especially London. Even Paris has a Chinatown. So apparently, Asians manage to survive there! Surprise surprise...

I stayed four years in The Netherlands, one year in UK, and we've been to France every year since 2005. I repeat, NO INCIDENT AT ALL.

We've already beaten this topic to death. Enough discussion and just decide. Please just go or don't go. Either way, there's nothing more for us to say. And please stop watching Crimewatch? It is not good for you. Also mix with less paranoid friends, that's not good for you either.

With such paranoia for Europe, you still want to work there? Jeez, just travel there for a holiday first and see if you don't die of paranoia, ok?

I hope this is the end of the thread.

I apologize if I come across as rude; but I feel it is now time for less talk and more action. Or at least change the topic, and focus on places you would like to visit. Tell us your interests, do a bit of research on the Internet, and we can give constructive suggestions. I know you have done a bit of that, but a well-structured post on what you want to see, why you want to see it, etc. would help us to answer you better.

The ball is now in your court.
Thanks for your sarcastic words anyway.

Haiz, fyi, my Dutch friend told me that Scotland is in poverty.

I'm curious what's so interesting about Netherlands when you live there for 4 yrs.

Ofc, i do want to go Europe. Just that I feel it is wise to be better prepared by asking more questions.

1. Oh, i do want to visit Glasgow, Edinburgh in Scotland. Particularly castles with hidden passageways. Any recommendations of best interesting famous castles. I love to visit mountains and rivers. I wonder if 1 week is enough to visit Scotland: castles, mountains and musical guys? I'm interested in architecture a bit.

2. Italy - Venice, Rome, Tower of Pisa, Milan. I do want to visit particular places: Daniel and lions' den. Daniel and lions' den has an interesting history to learn. I want to visit places where Leonardo Vinci was. Mona Lisa. Architecture too. Oh yes, interesting houses that are designed in an unique and interesting way. Any recommendations? Thks.

3. London - Too many interesting places. I'm not certain what I really want to visit for.
Old 27-11-2011, 09:59 PM   #72

Oh yes, accomodations are a bit too expensive.

1. In London, accomodations cost SG$45 - $85. *faint*
2. In Italy, it may cost SG$25 - $45 if I'm not wrong. *faint* Maybe i camp out to save $$. Any recommendation for cheap tents? Where to buy?
3. In Scotland, it costs SG$30 - $50. *faint*

I mean hostels.

Last edited by Smarties; 27-11-2011 at 10:04 PM..
Old 27-11-2011, 10:06 PM   #73

2. In Italy, it may cost SG$25 - $45 if I'm not wrong. *faint* Maybe i camp out to save $$. Any recommendation for cheap tents? Where to buy?

I mean hostels.
Erm, do you know how much a hostel costs in Singapore?

Hint: it's not much cheaper.
Old 28-11-2011, 10:49 AM   #74

I mean hostels.
Faintz!!

How much will you spend for accommodation in Bangkok? $5 - $10?

If cost is an issue, why not just spend your time in UK? Why incur more travelling cost to go to Italy? Moreover you are worried about safety....

As listed before, there are many places to visit in the UK.

PS: you are actually getting 35% off not only on lodging, on everything else!! Used to be S$3.xx to 1 pound, now only s$2 : 1 pound!!

Last edited by GenuineSeller; 28-11-2011 at 09:04 PM..
GenuineSeller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2011, 04:45 PM   #75
Master Member

I think we should focus our efforts on dissuading Smarties from leaving these shores, if we are to make further comments at all. After all, enough bandwidth has been taken up, first about safety, next was discrimination, and now there is the cost. Are these efforts worthwhile? GenuineSeller has a very valid point there.

"Think you have done enough, tried enough. Better stop..... Else if anything were to happen to her during her trip.... Touch wood touch wood..."
beanstalk6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.