HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

Shoes: what to get for snow capped mountains in Switerland

Share This Page
HardwareZone.com on Facebook

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 20-04-2012, 12:00 AM   #1

Shoes: what to get for snow capped mountains in Switerland

Hi guys, i'm heading up to Mount Titlis in Switerland.

Just wondering what kind of shoes should we be looking for? Dr Martins kind?
lordleslie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2012, 12:27 AM   #2

Did you book as a Day tour with some companies?
The one i booked with provided boots. But it is just sports shoes with more groove on the sole. If u have Dr Martins or Timberland Boots, will be good enuff. If not, get something with more groove. Actually not that slippery one..
yesman1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2012, 11:05 AM   #3

Hi, I just got back from Mt Titlis last week and the top of the mt (3020m) is quite cold and you need winter jackets and good pair of leather shoes.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Hi guys, i'm heading up to Mount Titlis in Switerland.

Just wondering what kind of shoes should we be looking for? Dr Martins kind?
Accura69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2012, 04:57 PM   #4

You are taking the cable car to the top and you will be walking on paved roads and stairs.

Normal sport shoes will be sufficient enough. Unless you want to climb over the barriers and start treking.
xiaomitao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2012, 08:02 PM   #5

Hi, I just got back from Mt Titlis last week and the top of the mt (3020m) is quite cold and you need winter jackets and good pair of leather shoes.
Any surprise that it's cold? It *is* 3020m high, plus don't forget wind-chill factor.

Some places that high in the Alps get all-year round glacier skiing.
tanchoo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2012, 08:04 PM   #6

You are taking the cable car to the top and you will be walking on paved roads and stairs.

Normal sport shoes will be sufficient enough. Unless you want to climb over the barriers and start treking.
Most who travel all the way there do at least want to experience walking on snow at least once in their lives. Just a good pair of Timberland or similar shoes will do.
Old 25-04-2012, 07:37 PM   #7

Most who travel all the way there do at least want to experience walking on snow at least once in their lives. Just a good pair of Timberland or similar shoes will do.
Thanks guys for your help!
lordleslie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 10:25 PM   #8

mount titlis is small pie.
Switzerland have another mountain jungfraujoch. top of europe and snow!!!!
v nice my friend say. I'm going next month! booked my tour from viator $280 sgd per person
IHaveAQuestionToAsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 11:50 PM   #9

mount titlis is small pie.
Switzerland have another mountain jungfraujoch. top of europe and snow!!!!
v nice my friend say. I'm going next month! booked my tour from viator $280 sgd per person
Yes, "top of Europe", in tourist-speak, so that the Swiss can earn a pretty buck from you. Altitude-wise, it's not the highest you can get to in the Alps. Which of course I hope, everyone knows the name of the mountain, and as a bonus, its altitude. Else, brush up on your general knowledge.

Personally I feel it's a waste of money; I can get much better views by going skiing. (Don't get me wrong; I went up to Jungfrau too, just that we got it at a good deal with a hotel). And it won't cost me an arm and a leg. But well, you've gotta earn the tourist dollar, don't you? You can be sure I won't be going up Jungfrau again. But skiing? Of course; again and again.

Enjoy the trip, and hope you get good weather!
Old 07-05-2012, 12:08 AM   #10

Yes, "top of Europe", in tourist-speak, so that the Swiss can earn a pretty buck from you. Altitude-wise, it's not the highest you can get to in the Alps. Which of course I hope, everyone knows the name of the mountain, and as a bonus, its altitude. Else, brush up on your general knowledge.

Personally I feel it's a waste of money; I can get much better views by going skiing. (Don't get me wrong; I went up to Jungfrau too, just that we got it at a good deal with a hotel). And it won't cost me an arm and a leg. But well, you've gotta earn the tourist dollar, don't you? You can be sure I won't be going up Jungfrau again. But skiing? Of course; again and again.

Enjoy the trip, and hope you get good weather!
Yes, think I'd agree about this.
But for first timer, it's fine to go up there and have a look.

And for the name "Top of Europe", it's not the mountain altitude they named it for. They named it because it's the highest railway station in Europe. At least that's what I've read. Forgive me if I am wrong.
r_balest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 12:15 AM   #11

Yes, think I'd agree about this.
But for first timer, it's fine to go up there and have a look.

And for the name "Top of Europe", it's not the mountain altitude they named it for. They named it because it's the highest railway station in Europe. At least that's what I've read. Forgive me if I am wrong.
You're absolutely right. Genius of a tourist advert, isn't it?
Old 07-05-2012, 12:18 AM   #12

Honestly the Alps are so large, there are so many ski resorts that are open in the summer for so much cheaper, with equally spectacular views, and are far less crowded. Yet tourists (mainly non-European ones who don't know better), flock to the same places each year, paying far inflated prices.

That's why people think Europe is so expensive.

I'm just highlighting that there are many many other options available for those who are more adventurous, don't like crowds, and don't want to have to pay through their nose. You can typically take a chairlift or cable car up the top of a mountain for less than €10 per person, if my memory serves me correctly. Definitely not over SGD 100, and certainly far less than you'd pay at the standard tourist spots.

Last edited by tanchoo1; 07-05-2012 at 12:23 AM..
Old 07-05-2012, 03:13 PM   #13
Master Member

Credit goes to the Swiss for delivering such slick tourism publicity, and getting away with it sometimes! My friend remarked to his French colleagues upon his return from Jungfraujoch that he had been to the highest point in Europe (victim of the "Top of Europe" claims), and promptly got snubbed by his team.
I did a double-take myself when I was there. "Gee, what is Mt Blanc then?"

Last edited by beanstalk6; 07-05-2012 at 03:19 PM..
beanstalk6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 10:45 PM   #14

Credit goes to the Swiss for delivering such slick tourism publicity, and getting away with it sometimes! My friend remarked to his French colleagues upon his return from Jungfraujoch that he had been to the highest point in Europe (victim of the "Top of Europe" claims), and promptly got snubbed by his team.
I did a double-take myself when I was there. "Gee, what is Mt Blanc then?"
Absolutely. Rightly snubbed.

Many many mountains in the Alps are higher than Jungfraujoch. Not just Mont Blanc. In fact, few people will know what's the highest mountain in Switzerland. (No, it's not Mont Blanc; that's on the French-Italian border.)
Old 08-05-2012, 11:39 AM   #15

I'm just highlighting that there are many many other options available for those who are more adventurous, don't like crowds, and don't want to have to pay through their nose. You can typically take a chairlift or cable car up the top of a mountain for less than 10 per person, if my memory serves me correctly. Definitely not over SGD 100, and certainly far less than you'd pay at the standard tourist spots.
hi, do you have any specific examples (<SGD100) for switzerland where there will be snow in summer? I know a few which are affordable (rigi, murren) but I believe they are below the snow line in summer.
tedXted is offline   Reply With Quote
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.