HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

Things to do around Chamonix?

Like Tree11Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-02-2017, 11:12 PM   #16

Brasserie = Brewery no? Those aren't beers I like but sounds like I will be having a lot of kir. Look what I found!

http://www.bocuse.fr/upload/File/aub..._TRADITION.pdf

not really into shopping. gonna spend all my money in chamonix i think.

It has 2 meanings - one being brewery, the other being restaurant. You're way more likely to see it refer to the latter though. I have yet to see a proper beer brewery.

Yeah Kir is not bad, in general french food I would say - a bit like 'fine dining' style + the coldness of the waiter. Just don't expect much in terms of customer service unless you speak a bit of French then they're suddenly nicer to you.

Yeah that's Paul Bocuse's 3 Michelin Starred Restaurant ! He opened 4 brasseries also which I mentioned in one of my posts - the North, South, East, West Didn't try that restaurant though, but his brasseries are not bad they have a 'menu' (french) = lunch set in English. So you can choose select few dishes for fixed price

The menu as we know it in English = la carte in French

Oh yeah Lyon mainly will be those sights for you then the park is not bad too quite huge
Din0saurus likes this.
SniperMarksman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2017, 01:32 PM   #17
Great Supremacy Member

looks like i'll be giving lyon a miss. traveling Chamonix - St Gervais - Lyon takes 4hr+ and just the St Gervais - Lyon return train costs 130SGD. a bit too much for a 2d1n trip.
Old 01-03-2017, 03:32 PM   #18

Chamonix has one of the most challenging ski terrain in the alps.
Be real careful if you do this
time2say is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2018, 08:13 PM   #19
Great Supremacy Member

It has 2 meanings - one being brewery, the other being restaurant. You're way more likely to see it refer to the latter though. I have yet to see a proper beer brewery.

Yeah Kir is not bad, in general french food I would say - a bit like 'fine dining' style + the coldness of the waiter. Just don't expect much in terms of customer service unless you speak a bit of French then they're suddenly nicer to you.

Yeah that's Paul Bocuse's 3 Michelin Starred Restaurant ! He opened 4 brasseries also which I mentioned in one of my posts - the North, South, East, West Didn't try that restaurant though, but his brasseries are not bad they have a 'menu' (french) = lunch set in English. So you can choose select few dishes for fixed price

The menu as we know it in English = la carte in French

Oh yeah Lyon mainly will be those sights for you then the park is not bad too quite huge
I ended up only ordering kir once and doing a lot of genepi instead. that's my nickname now.

huge pity that i didn't get to visit Paul Bocuse's restaurant now that he isn't around any more.

contrary to your experience, i had great service in chamonix! probably the best i've had anywhere. the trick is banter with them. probably helped that i became a regular in some of the restaurants...
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.