Transport between castles in Germany and Austria

consecutor

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hi, I am planning a something of a castle-hopping trip in mainly Germany and Austria but realized that without driving, the castles tend to be hard to get to. For example, Google Maps cannot even provide a public transport route between Schloss Purschenstein near Dresden, and Burg Colmberg near Nuremberg.

Are there any modes of transportation that can be employed for such a journey other than renting a car? I am mainly open to bus and trains, though realistically I recognize that taxis and such may be the only viable options too.

ruixiang92

Reaction score
Hi, I am planning a something of a castle-hopping trip in mainly Germany and Austria but realized that without driving, the castles tend to be hard to get to. For example, Google Maps cannot even provide a public transport route between Schloss Purschenstein near Dresden, and Burg Colmberg near Nuremberg.

Are there any modes of transportation that can be employed for such a journey other than renting a car? I am mainly open to bus and trains, though realistically I recognize that taxis and such may be the only viable options too.

Depends on the castle, some popular castles have tour buses and public transport available.

I've lived in Germany for a few months. Will only recommend these castles, Lichtenstein, eltz burg, cochem and neuschwanstein. The rest are too small and normal

purpleberry

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Depends on the castle, some popular castles have tour buses and public transport available.

I've lived in Germany for a few months. Will only recommend these castles, Lichtenstein, eltz burg, cochem and neuschwanstein. The rest are too small and normal

Wow, the first 3 castles are :eek:

Neuschwanstein seems the most popular among them.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.