Trip to europe - looking out for airline promotions

MilesTeh

Reaction score
Hi All,

I'm looking for a one-way ticket direct flight from SG to Amsterdam on 18 Aug for my family friend who is going to study there in Aug.

She needs to arrive at AMS on 19 Aug morning, or at least before 3pm for the school's pick-up service. Hence, I have already filtered to just 2 one-stop flights of at least 2 hours (Lufthansa $1248, Ethihad $1267) and direct flights SQ ($1996) and KLM ($1659).

Are these pricing normal because its already nearing to departure date? Hoping for her to take direct flights.

Should I check with STA travel for student prices (if there's still such a student ticket nowadays)?

TIA!

dilphinus

Banned
Reaction score
Hi All,

I'm looking for a one-way ticket direct flight from SG to Amsterdam on 18 Aug for my family friend who is going to study there in Aug.

She needs to arrive at AMS on 19 Aug morning, or at least before 3pm for the school's pick-up service. Hence, I have already filtered to just 2 one-stop flights of at least 2 hours (Lufthansa $1248, Ethihad $1267) and direct flights SQ ($1996) and KLM ($1659).

Are these pricing normal because its already nearing to departure date? Hoping for her to take direct flights.

Should I check with STA travel for student prices (if there's still such a student ticket nowadays)?

TIA!

Buy return ticket, it's cheaper than a one way even if the return is not utilized.

ctwsblkc

Reaction score
Hi All,

TIA!
Hi, I'm actually studying in NL right now, and would be going back to SG and then back again to NL around that period.

I've checked that a 1-way ticket with SQ is SGD1.9k (and around SGD2.6k for return, 1 year ticket). So it's definitely more worth to get a 1 year ticket if your family friend wants to take a direct flight with SQ.

For myself, if I have to take a one-way ticket, i would get emirates cause it is around SGD900+ for around that period. But I'm not sure about the earliest time it reaches AMS.

However, it is quite easy to travel within the netherlands, and should your family friend miss the school pick-up service, it shouldn't be a problem to find the way to the school.

btw, I'm not sure if there is student tickets nowadays anymore, but back in 2013 when i did my exchange (also in NL), student tickets were pricier, and they give you more weight, that's all. But nowadays most airlines allow 30kg? so i think that is sufficient..

You can PM me for more details or if your family friend wants more information about NL too :)

MilesTeh

Reaction score
Buy return ticket, it's cheaper than a one way even if the return is not utilized.

Won't get into trouble with immigration or airline if didn't utilise the return tix? Can ask for the no-show fee refund if didn't check-in? I'm not sure how the no-show fee works.

MilesTeh

Reaction score
Hi, I'm actually studying in NL right now, and would be going back to SG and then back again to NL around that period.

I've checked that a 1-way ticket with SQ is SGD1.9k (and around SGD2.6k for return, 1 year ticket). So it's definitely more worth to get a 1 year ticket if your family friend wants to take a direct flight with SQ.

For myself, if I have to take a one-way ticket, i would get emirates cause it is around SGD900+ for around that period. But I'm not sure about the earliest time it reaches AMS.

However, it is quite easy to travel within the netherlands, and should your family friend miss the school pick-up service, it shouldn't be a problem to find the way to the school.

btw, I'm not sure if there is student tickets nowadays anymore, but back in 2013 when i did my exchange (also in NL), student tickets were pricier, and they give you more weight, that's all. But nowadays most airlines allow 30kg? so i think that is sufficient..

You can PM me for more details or if your family friend wants more information about NL too :)

Thanks for the info! She's going to study in Rotterdam. Her mum doesn't want to screw up her flights due to miss connection becos of delay in the first-leg. I find that under 2 hrs transit time is alittle too risky. She doesn't intend to go home during cny and not sure if she will make any trip home within the year, so not planning to get one-yr tix.

Checked on STA website that they only give 40kgs luggage allowance, no diff in price.

I will pm you for more NL info! My family friend isn't able to get a room in her school hostel, may need to ask u for affordable lodging. Thanks!

Last edited:

dilphinus

Banned
Reaction score
Won't get into trouble with immigration or airline if didn't utilise the return tix? Can ask for the no-show fee refund if didn't check-in? I'm not sure how the no-show fee works.

No show fee is payable to the airline when you dont turn up for your flight and want to rebook a new flight.

MilesTeh

Reaction score
Thanks for the info! She's going to study in Rotterdam. Her mum doesn't want to screw up her flights due to miss connection becos of delay in the first-leg. I find that under 2 hrs transit time is alittle too risky. She doesn't intend to go home during cny and not sure if she will make any trip home within the year, so not planning to get one-yr tix.

Checked on STA website that they only give 40kgs luggage allowance, no diff in price.

I will pm you for more NL info! My family friend isn't able to get a room in her school hostel, may need to ask u for affordable lodging. Thanks!

Hi all, I bought KLM one-way ticket at $1734 for my family friend. She's not intending to go home after her one-year Masters programme. with the recent news report on the credit card verification issue at the SIA check-in counter, anyone has experienced credit card verification for boarding pass at KLM's check-in counter?

kimin0211

Reaction score
Finnair having the promotion

last year i booked SIN - LHR; AMS - HEL - SIN at SGD 870
now only need SGD 730

n1ef5ng

Reaction score
Bought swissair to Venice and back from ams, end Dec to early June. Sgd 820

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.