Zurich or Geneva?

Din0saurus

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I think it totally depends on how much you want to rush/squeeze things.

There's also another route on top of the default (fastest) route shown by the app. You can also do it via the BLM (add Grutschalp in the via box to show this route). A gondola from Lauterbrunnen takes you up the side of the valley. From there, it's a single carriage train journey on the 125+ year old line to Murren. Reaching Murren, it's a leisurely stroll (~15mins) across the village to the Schilthorn cable station.

Also, the SBB app doesn't show that you'll need to change gondolas at Mürren and Birg, so if there's a crowd, journey time is extended as you won't be able to take the immediate one. Not sure if there's a change at Gimmelwald as I didn't go up/down via Stechelberg.

Also, I'd imagine you'd want to do the thrill walk at Birg first instead of heading straight up to Schilthorn :o

The thrill walk is low priority at the moment. High social media value but low personal meaning.

Rotstock has a lot of personal meaning because I have a slight obsession with Eiger.

Ark Law

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Then I think you'd be alot happier doing the Eiger walk and simply hiking around Kleine Scheidegg.

Perhaps for D2, start early, cable car from Wengen to Männlichen. The summit's view of being on top of a peak which is on top of a valley was mesmerising. Thereafter, hike to Kleine Scheidegg. The views keep getting better as you approach the 3 peaks.

Din0saurus

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
earliest cable car is 8:05 - 8:16

then it's 8.2km from Männlichen to Rotstock. might be a bit late to start the via ferrata by then. i'm going as early as possible to avoid getting stuck behind slower groups and the weather turning.

a bit dumb to walk the other direction also! maybe i'll drop my bag after the via ferrata and take the cable car up Männlichen after lunch.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.