The Denim Thread [Read the first few post before asking questions] - Part 1

Shiro MS08th

Reaction score

paladin

Master Member
Reaction score
I agree. Denim from Indonesia mills seems to fade fast but they are mostly over 20 oz and unsanforized so not suitable for Singapore's weather.

For Fading contrast, you can consider Indonesian Mills, they have some extremely fast fading high contrast denim.

Yes that is true, most Chinese mills are using Xin Jiang cotton which is comparable to Zimbabwe long staple cotton.

Some of the Japanese mills told me they are shifting away from Zimbabwe cotton due to child labour practices and are increasingly using USA cotton instead.

HyperBaka

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
hey guys, im looking to alter my selfedge denim jeans to make it shorter in length.
any recommendation on alteration services? and how much does it cost?
thanks!

Melvin2213

Reaction score
Under $200 only can get Sauce Zhan raw jackets (range from 300-500 RMB and can use discount coupons). You can go Taobao search for it.

Thanks! Does anyone know the sizing and shrinking of the 516xx? Looking at the size chart I fit XS perfectly (measurements are exactly the same) but I'm 185cm so I'm kinda uncomfortable getting the smallest size. Also, I'm probably never going to wear this buttoned up-just in case this matters.

Shiro MS08th

Reaction score
Thanks! Does anyone know the sizing and shrinking of the 516xx? Looking at the size chart I fit XS perfectly (measurements are exactly the same) but I'm 185cm so I'm kinda uncomfortable getting the smallest size. Also, I'm probably never going to wear this buttoned up-just in case this matters.

The item description got size chart, and will state expecting how much shrinkage if it's unsanforized.

azarel

Master Member
Reaction score
hey guys, im looking to alter my selfedge denim jeans to make it shorter in length.
thanks!

same here... any recommendation on alteration services?

Dvoiddeckbench

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Normally I go to Orchard Midpoint level 1 to alter. The aunty there workmanship sibei good.

There only one alteration shop near escalator so you can easily find.

I have so far altered my Nudie and Dior at there. If you not sure how much to alter and all. Can wear and show her. She gives professional advice.

I am not advertising nor related to her. I got to know her from The Denim Shop also. The staff recommend me go there to repair my jeans also.

I go here alter.

i have a pair of selfedge jeans as well looking to alter the length. any idea?
same here... any recommendation on alteration services?
thanks!

JPDenim

Reaction score
I agree. Denim from Indonesia mills seems to fade fast but they are mostly over 20 oz and unsanforized so not suitable for Singapore's weather.

Yes Indo has many factories producing selvedge of all weights, just that most indo denim brands like to use 18-20oz for their raws. Interesting thing I heard is that Japan is quite vested in these indo mills as well.

Firesage

Reaction score
Hey guys, im thinking of getting a pair of raw denims (unbranded/nudies) and would like to ask some questions (I couldn't find explicit answers using google), hopefully these might be useful to other newbies too.

1. It is stated that raw denims stretch (up to a couple of sizes) after wearing and also shrinks (up to a couple of sizes) after the first wash. So in this case, what size exactly should I go for? If I am a size 30, should I buy 30 itself, since it will stretch, then shrink after I wash?
2. Is there/what is the difference between soaking and washing? I have read some articles that say never to let the jeans near water, and others that say to soak the denims right after you buy so that it shrinks to your size (they recommended buying 1-2 sizes bigger for this reason), and wearing it thereafter.
3. After holding out as long as I can for the first wash, do subsequent washes matter? If i intend to wash it every 3-4 weeks after the first wash, will this affects the fades etc?

Thanks in advance!

JPDenim

Reaction score
Hey guys, im thinking of getting a pair of raw denims (unbranded/nudies) and would like to ask some questions (I couldn't find explicit answers using google), hopefully these might be useful to other newbies too.

1. It is stated that raw denims stretch (up to a couple of sizes) after wearing and also shrinks (up to a couple of sizes) after the first wash. So in this case, what size exactly should I go for? If I am a size 30, should I buy 30 itself, since it will stretch, then shrink after I wash?
2. Is there/what is the difference between soaking and washing? I have read some articles that say never to let the jeans near water, and others that say to soak the denims right after you buy so that it shrinks to your size (they recommended buying 1-2 sizes bigger for this reason), and wearing it thereafter.
3. After holding out as long as I can for the first wash, do subsequent washes matter? If i intend to wash it every 3-4 weeks after the first wash, will this affects the fades etc?

Thanks in advance!

1. You are right that raw denim stretches upon wear and shrinks upon wash. The right size really depends on several factors but to put it simply in 2 points 1) Make sure the waist/upper thigh is snug/perfect when you first buy as the stretch/shrink will most likely offset each other eventually. 2) For the rest of leg, as there is less "stretchability", we typically recommend our customers to get a slightly roomier fit as it will shrink more in the wash.

2) After wearing for 6-xx number of months...Soaking reduces the amount of shrinkage and indigo loss compared to machine washing. The "soak right after you buy" refers specifically to unsanforized denim (i.e. not preshrunk denim)

3) Subsequent washes do matter to a smaller extent as every wash will even out the fades. "Smaller extent" because after the hold-out period before your first wash, you should have already achieved a desirable fade contrast.

Let me know if you have any other questions! :)

-JP

Firesage

Reaction score
1. You are right that raw denim stretches upon wear and shrinks upon wash. The right size really depends on several factors but to put it simply in 2 points 1) Make sure the waist/upper thigh is snug/perfect when you first buy as the stretch/shrink will most likely offset each other eventually. 2) For the rest of leg, as there is less "stretchability", we typically recommend our customers to get a slightly roomier fit as it will shrink more in the wash.

2) After wearing for 6-xx number of months...Soaking reduces the amount of shrinkage and indigo loss compared to machine washing. The "soak right after you buy" refers specifically to unsanforized denim (i.e. not preshrunk denim)

3) Subsequent washes do matter to a smaller extent as every wash will even out the fades. "Smaller extent" because after the hold-out period before your first wash, you should have already achieved a desirable fade contrast.

Let me know if you have any other questions! :)

-JP

Thanks for the advice. For nudies I guess I can head down to the denim store to give it a try, but for unbranded ill just go with the size that best fits my measurements is that it? If i am in between 2 sizes, is it better to go with the bigger or smaller?

So for the fades, after every subsequent wash, they will get slightly lighter then? Will the 3-4 weeks interval be too frequent?

Look-into-me

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the advice. For nudies I guess I can head down to the denim store to give it a try, but for unbranded ill just go with the size that best fits my measurements is that it? If i am in between 2 sizes, is it better to go with the bigger or smaller?

So for the fades, after every subsequent wash, they will get slightly lighter then? Will the 3-4 weeks interval be too frequent?

Yeah you can try on the jeans at the shop. Normally I wear size 30 but I purchased size 29 for my nudies, wore for 1year++ already still fit quite nicely and comfortably (although I'm starting to grow fat cos I finish army already :s13:)

I did my 1st wash after a year of wearing, and I intend to keep doing this routine as I don't see the point of washing it every once in a while (I'll wash it before CNY to let it look 'cleaner')

clokwerk0

Reaction score
Denimio has their 2017 contest jeans on pre-order: DM-002 STUDIO D'ARTISAN X DENIMIO CONTEST MODEL JEANS...

– 15oz unsanforized, American and Australian blend cotton
– Relax tapered fit
– a crotch rivet for more stability
– a selvedge fly because it’s cool
– a sashiko coin pocket which is just stunning
– our denimio-collab tab
– half-lined back pockets with a super cool camouflage fabric
– handwritten serial numbers
– a special collab patch and artwork on the inner pockets which represents the theme of the contest

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.