Red Wing shoe Thread

Shalomp

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
what are they saying about the boots?? :)

I purchased a 9011 last year.. This boot is still 'cutting' me left and right.

but i tell myself i am going to break this boot regardless..:s13:

Boots in general or just red wing boots?

Red wing boots is always the same thing on repeat mode over and over again no matter which forum or shop u visit. That they will hurt as hell cos they're brand new

It's so alarming to me cos the follow up thing u hear is "oh brand new leather will always hurt"

to that i say well NOT ALL brand new leather hurts. In fact ONLY red wing leather from their sb foot tannery hurts

Even leather from wicket and Craig tannery which is the closest u can find to red wing leather doesn't hurt the least bit

Honestly, it feels to me like some marketing spiel that red wing came up with to cover up their inferior leather and it just went viral from there. So much so that everyone started believing it and associated it with all leather in general and that all boots will hurt when brand new

I got a friend who got a red wing 875 and it hurt so bad that he gave it away for free. He swore of leather boots but i managed to convince him that is only red wing that hurts and he gave boots a second shot with this Indonesian craftsman that uses horween leather. Not an ounce of pain. Best part, fraction of what red wing costs.

Oh and the leather ages and patinas way better :)

FrogGreen

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Boots in general or just red wing boots?

Red wing boots is always the same thing on repeat mode over and over again no matter which forum or shop u visit. That they will hurt as hell cos they're brand new

It's so alarming to me cos the follow up thing u hear is "oh brand new leather will always hurt"

to that i say well NOT ALL brand new leather hurts. In fact ONLY red wing leather from their sb foot tannery hurts

Even leather from wicket and Craig tannery which is the closest u can find to red wing leather doesn't hurt the least bit

Honestly, it feels to me like some marketing spiel that red wing came up with to cover up their inferior leather and it just went viral from there. So much so that everyone started believing it and associated it with all leather in general and that all boots will hurt when brand new

I got a friend who got a red wing 875 and it hurt so bad that he gave it away for free. He swore of leather boots but i managed to convince him that is only red wing that hurts and he gave boots a second shot with this Indonesian craftsman that uses horween leather. Not an ounce of pain. Best part, fraction of what red wing costs.

Oh and the leather ages and patinas way better :)

can u name me another boot that doesn't hurt.. because i am starting to buy into this ' new boots always hurt' shxt.

clokwerk0

Reaction score
For the most part it’s down to difference between lined and unlined pair of leather boots... both pairs of RW boots that I own are unlined, like any other pair of unlined leather boots, break in is less comfortable.. except for a pair made from moose/elk, the most comfortable pair of unlined leather boots from the get go..

Lined leather boots on the outset are much more comfortable.. for most pairs even from first wear..

Like what Shalomp posted earlier, try to look beyond RW for boots.. try out others before writing yourself out of the boots game..

clokwerk0

Reaction score
can u name me another boot that doesn't hurt.. because i am starting to buy into this ' new boots always hurt' shxt.

Boots from Carminas, Danners, Alden’s, Truman’s (Moose/Elk uppers), Grenson’s, Loake’s... most of them in my collection are lined..

Shalomp

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score

Boots from Carminas, Danners, Alden’s, Truman’s (Moose/Elk uppers), Grenson’s, Loake’s... most of them in my collection are lined..

in the same bracket as red wing? off the top of my head i would name thorogood and chippewa. i dont have personal experience with these brands but i read that they use leather from proper tanneries unlike red wing which has their own in house tannery.

clokwerk0 has kindly named some for u but are in a class above red wing. but he says that the insides of these boots were lined which is why he did not feel any pain

for me i have had boots that were entirely unlined and yet felt no pain. which is why i feel it ultimately boils down to which tannery the leather is produced

most boot wearers that i read about online who decide to move on from red wing usually go for alden or wolverine 1000 mile boot as their next

hope that helps :)

softdisk

Reaction score
anybody knows where got female iron ranger sizes? :s11:

You can only purchase iron range instead of iron ranger. I just purchase one pair of Red Wing from Orchard Central level 4. The best boots ever and now I have 3 pairs of red wing.

wer1989

Reaction score
yup, i know its not cheap but no choice worh, its the exact same cock sole on my iron ranger and i prefer it the same look so i just bite the bullet and it will last for many years to go...

Turbo, how was the end-result? The finishing all swee swee? Pics pls! :D

Turbo-lised

Reaction score
You can only purchase iron range instead of iron ranger. I just purchase one pair of Red Wing from Orchard Central level 4. The best boots ever and now I have 3 pairs of red wing.

some called it iron range, some called it iron ranger..
so there is no difference to it bro..

Turbo-lised

Reaction score
Turbo, how was the end-result? The finishing all swee swee? Pics pls! :D

Some Gifs bah..
Overall the stitch work quite okay, just that the bottom part of the boots, the stitching not very nice but WHO CARES, its gonna get worn HAHAHA :s13:

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

kazuki666

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Some Gifs bah..
Overall the stitch work quite okay, just that the bottom part of the boots, the stitching not very nice but WHO CARES, its gonna get worn HAHAHA :s13:

giphy.gif

giphy.gif
Swee! Just curious though. Do you know if they glue the sole only, or rip the whole thing and sew the new sole on?

Sent from Xiaomi REDMI NOTE 4 using GAGT

Turbo-lised

Reaction score
Swee! Just curious though. Do you know if they glue the sole only, or rip the whole thing and sew the new sole on?

they should rip the whole old sole, cannot be just glue the new sole on one.. and the cobbler managed to cover up a cut on the midsole, which i feel is very good!!
now its as good as new..

kazuki666

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
This is the shukey at far east plaza right? I am thinking how soon I may need to resole my 8165 also lor....

Shalomp

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
dont think so. if im right, i thought the shukey at far east only do those white color crepe soles that are glued on? so iron rangers need to be sent abroad to be resoled

for that matter i think there is no cobbler in sg that can do resole for iron ranger type shoes

This is the shukey at far east plaza right? I am thinking how soon I may need to resole my 8165 also lor....

kazuki666

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
shukey cant do iron ranger cock sole ..
so this is done by redwing in house cobbler..
Ah, that explains the price too...
He got tell you the new sole is sew or glue on? Actually given benefit of doubts, I may trust whatever he says bah...

jonleelk

Master Member
Reaction score
dont think so. if im right, i thought the shukey at far east only do those white color crepe soles that are glued on? so iron rangers need to be sent abroad to be resoled

for that matter i think there is no cobbler in sg that can do resole for iron ranger type shoes
Is iron ranger GYW? If yes there are locals who can do the job, but they don’t have iron ranger sole.

kiwitan

Reaction score
Shop charges 180$ for resole. If it’s pasted on only might as well bring shoe to your friendly neighbour hood cobbler for $5 to resole.

kazuki666

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
cE7cu4gl.jpg

The weather is not too bad today, so took them out and wash with the foam cleaner which I got a small freebie bottle previously. I don't think it's anywhere near as clean as done by experts at OGW, but better than nothing. Letting it dry before I put on some of its leather cream.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.