Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

The Spectacles Thread.

Like Tree147Likes
Share This Page
HardwareZone.com on Facebook
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 13-02-2012, 10:50 PM   #5491

guys and model to go for? 250 degrees on each side with slight astigmatic .. which lens shld i go for? Budget < $400

i thot of getting oakley deringer and get lens 150> ? any recommendation? thx
Without transistions, Nikon seecoat 1.6 is pretty high end for lens. $248.

If u getting deringer(any size of the 2), nikon seecoat 1.67 will look better. $328.

If transistions, Hoya Transistions 1.6 cost about $360-$380.

All oakley sold in singapore are controlled price. which ties to the warrenty provided. If price is lower than RRP(even for 10c), warrenty will be void. All frames comes with free change of nosepads and earsocks life time(will also be void if your oakley is bought with a discounted price).

Source is from Larrikin, oakley Distro in singapore.
Old 14-02-2012, 09:17 AM   #5492

In your experience or feedback, usually, based on general usage, how long does hoya lens last? lifespan of the lens before ageing, multi-coating peeling etc occurs & affects the clarity & vision of the hoya lens?

Based on own usage, budget lens usually last between 4 months to one year, max also about 1yr+. Based on hearsay, AO lens also last abt 1yr+

How about hoya standard? 3 years?

Last edited by Seannie; 14-02-2012 at 09:19 AM..
Old 14-02-2012, 09:31 AM   #5493

Another question for you. Since you are working in a big optical chain store, are your shop's nikon/hoya RX special ordered lenses made in Japan or in other parts of asia? And for these custom-made-in-japan lenses are the edging done in japan as well? Or only the lenses are made in japan/asia ex-japan afterwich they are shipped to local factories for edging & mounting of the lenses?
Old 14-02-2012, 01:10 PM   #5494

In your experience or feedback, usually, based on general usage, how long does hoya lens last? lifespan of the lens before ageing, multi-coating peeling etc occurs & affects the clarity & vision of the hoya lens?

Based on own usage, budget lens usually last between 4 months to one year, max also about 1yr+. Based on hearsay, AO lens also last abt 1yr+

How about hoya standard? 3 years?
i would say 1-2years. really depends on handling. some customers still have a almost perfect condition pair of hoya lens after 3 years. plastic ageing happens to all brand of lenses. premium lenses have a rather longer ageing lifespan compared to cheaper ones.
Old 14-02-2012, 01:18 PM   #5495

Another question for you. Since you are working in a big optical chain store, are your shop's nikon/hoya RX special ordered lenses made in Japan or in other parts of asia? And for these custom-made-in-japan lenses are the edging done in japan as well? Or only the lenses are made in japan/asia ex-japan afterwich they are shipped to local factories for edging & mounting of the lenses?
almost 99% lenses are edged in singapore. lenses are made in factories around the world.. germany, france, india, china, thailand, malaysia, japan, korea.

imagine ur glasses were to get custom lenses from eg. Carl Zeiss. they will send ur data to zeiss lab to their factories in europe(they have factories not only in germany) and factories will make lens to that particular order.

sent to zeiss lab in singapore to cut ur lens. u are paying more for special order, shipping and takes about 2weels to 1month.

not very likely they will ship ur frame to europe to edge and ship back. its just too costly.

the company have to bear if ur frame is lost in shipment.
Old 14-02-2012, 01:56 PM   #5496

to wat i know, it is also possible to have the lenses edged overseas as well without the need for sending the frame over, they can scan the shape of the frame we have chosen & then send relate the info together with lens data to the overseas lab for making the lens as well as edging? The only ting i cant verify is whether my lens is edged in the overseas lab as well. The only thing i can be certain is that my lens is made to my power in japan becos the shop gave the lens packaging to me. It has my power prescription on it & the words are all in japanese ofcos with HOYA logo as well.

From what the person told me, the axis from my astigmatism & PD is done during edging. Is that true?

Another question is that my frame is using nylon thread to secure the lens, which has been polished as well. I noticed a fine line that looks like a scratch or dirt on the edging surface (not on the lens surface itself), the area quite close to the groove where the nylon thread sits in. Is this thing that look like a scatch caused by the edging machine or the polishing machine? is there any difference? or is this caused by mishandling?
Old 14-02-2012, 09:38 PM   #5497

Just took my spec.

By the way, on the earlier post...
I saw that Crizal A2 is old coating? I chosen Crizal Advance 1.6 for $160 on the shop, and the shop i had been going for more than 10years, when i took my lens, it came with the packaging too, the lens packaging stated FSV 1.6 AS ORMIX CRIZAL A2 AIRMARK. When I ask the optician, the optician told me that this is the advance one.

Just to confirm,

Last edited by memoriess; 14-02-2012 at 09:40 PM..
Old 15-02-2012, 08:10 AM   #5498

to wat i know, it is also possible to have the lenses edged overseas as well without the need for sending the frame over, they can scan the shape of the frame we have chosen & then send relate the info together with lens data to the overseas lab for making the lens as well as edging? The only ting i cant verify is whether my lens is edged in the overseas lab as well. The only thing i can be certain is that my lens is made to my power in japan becos the shop gave the lens packaging to me. It has my power prescription on it & the words are all in japanese ofcos with HOYA logo as well.

From what the person told me, the axis from my astigmatism & PD is done during edging. Is that true?

Another question is that my frame is using nylon thread to secure the lens, which has been polished as well. I noticed a fine line that looks like a scratch or dirt on the edging surface (not on the lens surface itself), the area quite close to the groove where the nylon thread sits in. Is this thing that look like a scatch caused by the edging machine or the polishing machine? is there any difference? or is this caused by mishandling?

I can pretty much tell you that if u pay a normal price for the lens, most likely its edge in singapore hoya lab. I've never heard of scaning the frame and send the details over to other labs overseas. once lens shape are scaned, it doesnt mean the lens cut will fit 100% to the frame. Sometimes they will still need to adjust slightly.

Lens ordered from different brands will mostly have the own manufacturer's native language printed.
Its pretty hard to tell if your lens is by special order unless u know what details to look for.

like eg. Hoya lens card :is something like..

Name : (your name)
Lens: Summit FD 1.67 Trans VI GRY
R : -200 -175 X 86
L : -250 -125 X 93
ADD: +150

Outlet: Yo Mama's Prata Outlet

What lenses did u order? how much did u pay? take a picture of the Hoya lens card?

as i said before, high end lenses, big shops wun try to cheat their way around. It's just not worth the damage.
Old 15-02-2012, 09:43 AM   #5499

Any recommendation for a change of specs? I have been using Tag Heur Reflex 3000 series, frameless. I find it too comfortable that I'm reluctant to change to a different model/brand. However, I first bought it in 2009, and I will need to replace it soon.

Any other model or brand that is also comfortable and lightweight??
Old 15-02-2012, 09:53 AM   #5500

HOYA RX lenses are all std price ard S$550 for 1.67 EP sft coating. Im not concerned whether the lens is special order or not but more to where the edging is done. As i've said, on top of the lens card, i also have the lens packaging given to me which has my specific power printed on it, with all the japanese words. If you look at hoya card it doesnt tell you much except for your lens data, order no. as well as the date. Do you mean that if the lens is made in thailand for example, the hoya lens packaging will still have japanese words printed on it?

How about the patches on the edging surface of the lens the portion where polishing is done? Is it caused by polishing not done properly or not thorough? Is it normal to have such patches/scratches on the polished surfaces? Is this due to the extent of the polishing? By the way, is polishing done manually or the whole process automated by machines similar to edging? Can lens chip easily during polishing?

On elast thing. Is the groove on the lens cut before or after the polishing?
Old 15-02-2012, 10:06 AM   #5501

Any recommendation for a change of specs? I have been using Tag Heur Reflex 3000 series, frameless. I find it too comfortable that I'm reluctant to change to a different model/brand. However, I first bought it in 2009, and I will need to replace it soon.

Any other model or brand that is also comfortable and lightweight??
YES, there is, but depends on whether you believe me or not. Im a veteran specs wearer. In my opinion, URBAND origami eyewear is the most comfortable frame that i can find to date. I have been trying many throughout this 3 years, just to find the most comfortable & quality brand. Brands i have tried include tagheuer, oakley, alan mikli starck, swiss flex, porsche, charmant, levi's, hamamoto, migoto, kassai, maji masatomo, masaki matsushima, evisu, ic!berlin, slights etc.

Tagheuer reflex feels v light & comfy during initial wear but i dont find it too comfy as time progresses due to the tension caused by the reflex part of the frame at the side and the silicon nosepads seem to just go out of shape.

Urband origami is only sold at nanyang optical in sg. Price range ard $300-400, better value, technology, functionality & comfort than tagheuer which is expensive due to its brand.

Urband: designer of light and comfortable contemporary eyeglasses
Old 15-02-2012, 10:20 AM   #5502

Mikli/Starck

Combo = Nice Glasses

Have a look if you are on the look out for a new pair of specs!
Old 15-02-2012, 11:49 AM   #5503

i would like to ask if anyone knows anywhere that i can shop for polo ralph lauren eyewear. im looking for a particular model PH2053. the ones in my neighbourhood do not sell it.

and also, if can recommend any reliable online store that i can buy it from if i cant find it in singapore.
Old 15-02-2012, 12:22 PM   #5504

i would like to ask if anyone knows anywhere that i can shop for polo ralph lauren eyewear. im looking for a particular model PH2053. the ones in my neighbourhood do not sell it.

and also, if can recommend any reliable online store that i can buy it from if i cant find it in singapore.
Buy it from any good Opticals, dont buy online... you wont get warranty and sometimes you may get cheated....
Old 15-02-2012, 03:07 PM   #5505

Buy it from any good Opticals, dont buy online... you wont get warranty and sometimes you may get cheated....
okay. thank you. i will try out those major spectacle stores
Closed Thread
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.