The Spectacles Thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Seannie

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
hmm. moi is bui bui and no need designer frames---adchili trying to avoid them cause. Always felt that those designer frames are chop carrot stuffs. Trying to look for a ergonomic based frame that is truely comfortable but if they happen to be a designer one, i dun mind.:)

Alot of jap frames are designed to fit asian features, so wat i can say is tat as long as u choose jap frames shouldnt go too wrong. If urs is boi boi then all the more u shd go for comfort fit rather than brand or appearance.

They are many brands. The most popular ones from japan are Japonism, Spivvy, Dun, 999.9, Charmant, yellow plus etc but they cost more. But i feel tat in comparison cheaper jap frames is of lesser quality than these branded ones. U need to source ard and try out before u decide. Jap products are mostly abt good quality craftamanship and finishing.

If u like angmoh brand can try silhuoette they have curved flex temples. I believe ohj1 oso wearing it for many yrs. Pls pardon me if i remembered wrongly.

Seannie

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Oh yar samloi bro, some forummers here oso say carl zeiss lenses not bad, but my opinion is that may not be as cheap as u like it to be, but ofcos depends on your wallet and mindset. Personally i dont choose zeiss lenses cos more expensive for me. Its german brand by the way. Essilor is france brand if you see always advertise crizal lens on tv. Iys just marketing la.

Khloey13

Reaction score
Hi bro, you dont need to bother oldbreadstinks just ignore his post. He only knows how to present facts which is rather obscure replies cant really answer your queries. No real experience as a consumer. Listen to me. I have patronise from optics@work before & i liked their service. Their cost v reasonable no worries abt it. And they are pretty honest.
Cheers!

I'm assuming it's really Zeiss, you have the card and all. Logo is usually on the lens but they often leave it out these days(for specialorders )unless you
Request for it.

You may need to double check your lens as Zeiss does not carry 1.56 transitions
Both photo fusion and transition jump from 1.5 to 1.6 , rrp is $280 and $330 respectively
If it's Zeiss it should come with a card with your name on it and the lens ordered.
They can't "special order" the card so just refer to it
Zeiss does have 1.56 rrp $160

I've double checked my list
Not even ao / sola (Zeiss subsidaries ) come with 1.56 for transitions.

Hi guys thanks for your help!! :)

Sorry that my info is misleading! I'm not very sure about whether it's 1.56 / 1.5 but the guy told me that he will gave me a zeiss lens at crizal price and later on I requested him to add on transition function for me so he told me that the transition function add on $110 apart from the zeiss lens. So is this scenario & price reasonable?

& thanks! when I collect the specs, I will double check whether the spec cloth have printed zeiss and the warranty card!

Khloey13

Reaction score
Oh! And just asking, has anyone bought their spectacles at Queensway's optique zone? How much does a brandless frame+zeiss lens+transistion & 250 degree with no addons cost? I suaku went to their shop and didn't know that I can change a sunglass lens with clear lens thus I didn't purchase from them eventhough I find their sunglass design nice, if their price is reasonable, maybe I will go to their shop for my next pair of glasses!

oldbreadstinks

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I seriusly wanted to give u a piece of mind, but decided not to becos it will only reflect badly on myself to degrade to yur standard. If people are free to go read yur posts on other threads they may have lesser opinion on your character.

Optics@work is on first level so no prob on that. I dont give vague textbook style facts. I provide real facts from true experiences so that others can benefit.

Lol, you've already given me a piece of your mind already, probably more than one piece. On more than one occasion

Annnndd you've just attacked my character again but say that you don't want to do it because it degrades and reflects badly
I think the general idea is to not do it and avoid such comments? :s13:

:s13: not do it and say you won't. We went though this before. You shouldn't do it or you'll look hypocritical . :D

And you're always the one attacking me for disagreeing with you , and pretty much anyone else. :D
I generally only drop in for a comment of so until you started doing this to me and I responded.

Plus other forums if you're referring to edmw, :s13: I did not realise I was selling myself as a saint
I'm definitely not one :D if you're interested in applying. You need to start behaving like one.

How come you're stalking me and going through my old stuff anyway? Looking for handles? :s13::s22:

oldbreadstinks

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Ahboy has more customer experience than u.

Obviously, I wasnt a customer there often. :s13:
Wouldn't it be weird if I'm a customer there often. Is this something you have a problem with too?

But like I said, level one shops would have something to say about level two shops.

oldbreadstinks

Supremacy Member
Reaction score

Sorry that my info is misleading! I'm not very sure about whether it's 1.56 / 1.5 but the guy told me that he will gave me a zeiss lens at crizal price and later on I requested him to add on transition function for me so he told me that the transition function add on $110 apart from the zeiss lens. So is this scenario & price reasonable?

& thanks! when I collect the specs, I will double check whether the spec cloth have printed zeiss and the warranty card!

I've already given you the recommended price, by that. You're not getting carrot headed.
I've just checked an old pricelist (not that old )
They've removed 1.56 transition for crizal from There too.

By right your Zeiss lenses should have a logo lasered on the lens
By left for transitions they've left it out for a few who do not request.

I do not understand the internal workings there, sometimes they might edge /cut their own lenses and for situations like those. Whether you get the Zeiss card depends on the dilligence of the staff.

Some shops value these cards as a part of customer service. Other Chuck the cards away when they receive them.
If you're worried. Request for the laser logo. That one can't go wrong. :s22:

oldbreadstinks

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Oh! And just asking, has anyone bought their spectacles at Queensway's optique zone? How much does a brandless frame+zeiss lens+transistion & 250 degree with no addons cost? I suaku went to their shop and didn't know that I can change a sunglass lens with clear lens thus I didn't purchase from them eventhough I find their sunglass design nice, if their price is reasonable, maybe I will go to their shop for my next pair of glasses!

Brandless frames there can be as cheap as less than $50 to hundreds
For someone's sake here who seems irritated with my vagueness

If you're not a carrot head, on average they're probably going to push a $1-200 frame unless they think you can afford more or if you happened to "spy" something cheap (they'll push $300 onwards if they see a golden tortoise )
If you're not particularly concerned about the transition brand, but prefer Zeiss lenses. You can request for Zeiss photo fusion retail price is $50 lower

All In If you do bargain a little, you should be expecting $300+ onwards .

Since you already know the retail price, bear in mind what you're looking for, if someone else is offering the same price . They'll be willing to match a lower price if you play your cards right
If you feel that their service is great then maybe take that into consideration?

I usually see ladies working there. I can't stand it myself but women love bargaining.

samloi

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Which is why I recommended a place with a lot of shops and not brands if you're looking for designer eyewear :s13:

JUST go queensway la. lots of optic shops there. most are fine.....

okie, will got there ssrr. Have been making my glasses at pearl eversince dunno how many donkey years ago, are they still recommended?

Alot of jap frames are designed to fit asian features, so wat i can say is tat as long as u choose jap frames shouldnt go too wrong. If urs is boi boi then all the more u shd go for comfort fit rather than brand or appearance.

They are many brands. The most popular ones from japan are Japonism, Spivvy, Dun, 999.9, Charmant, yellow plus etc but they cost more. But i feel tat in comparison cheaper jap frames is of lesser quality than these branded ones. U need to source ard and try out before u decide. Jap products are mostly abt good quality craftamanship and finishing.

If u like angmoh brand can try silhuoette they have curved flex temples. I believe ohj1 oso wearing it for many yrs. Pls pardon me if i remembered wrongly.

Hi bro, dont try seiko. Yes, their watches damn good but not optical lens la. My last order from seiko ends up unsatisfied as there is problem with the multicoat. So far, hoya has minimal problems. If u really like nikon u can give it a try, sme of the forummers here say not bad, but i personally dont agree. If u want best bang for your buck then the clear choice is hoya. Tokai oso jap brand but rather exp.

Oh yar samloi bro, some forummers here oso say carl zeiss lenses not bad, but my opinion is that may not be as cheap as u like it to be, but ofcos depends on your wallet and mindset. Personally i dont choose zeiss lenses cos more expensive for me. Its german brand by the way. Essilor is france brand if you see always advertise crizal lens on tv. Iys just marketing la.

not boi boi but uncle liao=:p=:p. My last pair was a no brand Ti with a nice Hoya progressive, the lens was fantastic with 2y+ no scratch or coating flake off watsoever. But the frame kinda went koyak after 1y+..... So now thinking of investing into something better. Seems i didnt quite like the progressive and decide to go for a single this time.

So i guess most prob i'll go for a CZ with $450 budget and about 350-400 for a frame. Or perhaps i should readjust my budget? I seldom change glasses and the current pairi have last me almost 3 years.=:p=:p

Seems swissflex is out of flavor?

Mancunian2

Greater Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I am thinking of trying glass lenses for its reputed superior quality
does Zeiss or Crizal make mineral glass lenses? any recomendations?

ahboy82

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
okie, will got there ssrr. Have been making my glasses at pearl eversince dunno how many donkey years ago, are they still recommended?

not boi boi but uncle liao=:p=:p. My last pair was a no brand Ti with a nice Hoya progressive, the lens was fantastic with 2y+ no scratch or coating flake off watsoever. But the frame kinda went koyak after 1y+..... So now thinking of investing into something better. Seems i didnt quite like the progressive and decide to go for a single this time.

So i guess most prob i'll go for a CZ with $450 budget and about 350-400 for a frame. Or perhaps i should readjust my budget? I seldom change glasses and the current pairi have last me almost 3 years.=:p=:p

Seems swissflex is out of flavor?

i sell u my swissflex frame? frankly speaking swissflex too light for its own gd, keep sliding down head, hav to use earpads if really want swissflex

Seannie

Supremacy Member
Reaction score

U dont need to check. Already told u tat optics@work is trustworthy. Y u so paranoid? Life will be difficult if keep thinking ple wanna chop ur carrot. Once a while just let shops earn yur $ wont kill u too, especially if their service is sincere and help u answer all yur queries. Im sure they are more than willing to explain to u. I cant remember the staff name but i know lastime when im there they are okay. Not snobs or cheater tat kind.

Seannie

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hi samloi, do u mean pearl optical at chinatown? If so, then more or less still the same type of service & quality lor. My personal experience not tat satisfactory, but as long as u like happy then no problem. Not gg to comment since u may return there to patronise. Since u been using hoya & good for u so far, why u wanna change to zeiss lens?

samloi

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hi samloi, do u mean pearl optical at chinatown? If so, then more or less still the same type of service & quality lor. My personal experience not tat satisfactory, but as long as u like happy then no problem. Not gg to comment since u may return there to patronise. Since u been using hoya & good for u so far, why u wanna change to zeiss lens?

Okie okie. Think I will take the time to ssrr at the major hotspots for glasses. Karchng itchy wanna try zeiss. lolx. Always felt zeiss is superior to hoya(photography wise). For the pair I using, initially wanted zeiss but over blew budget so changed to hoya. Was skeptical at first but it turned out to be a brilliant purchase

Seannie

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Okie okie. Think I will take the time to ssrr at the major hotspots for glasses. Karchng itchy wanna try zeiss. lolx. Always felt zeiss is superior to hoya(photography wise). For the pair I using, initially wanted zeiss but over blew budget so changed to hoya. Was skeptical at first but it turned out to be a brilliant purchase

Okie since karchng itchy, try zeiss already can let me know whats yur review? Thks.

bberry

Reaction score

if you are wearing the specs for long time, then invest in a good frame and lens.

good frame generally >$250

android

Master Member
Reaction score
ownday specs seems to be quite cheap... most expensive also ard $198....including lens....

sheryl_tan

Reaction score
Hi everyone :) was just wondering if a japanese spectacle brand name jins pc is available in Singapore ?

ahhian

Reaction score
jins is a spectacle chain store in japan. very popular.

i think pc is one of the specs they sell at the store :)

Hi everyone :) was just wondering if a japanese spectacle brand name jins pc is available in Singapore ?

sheryl_tan

Reaction score
jins is a spectacle chain store in japan. very popular.

i think pc is one of the specs they sell at the store :)
yes ^^ It's designed to be affordable :) Among all the jins brand specs , the jins pc really catches my eye ! Suits my needs too~ Would really buy it if it is available in Singapore :)~

Status
Not open for further replies.
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.