Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

The Spectacles Thread.

Like Tree147Likes
Share This Page
HardwareZone.com on Facebook
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-03-2013, 09:46 PM   #7981

Hey guys, this is going to sidetrack a fair bit. The ones that are being discussed are out of my budget. My degree is about 700/800 and I only have a $400 budget. I will be sticking with shopa spectacle hut and nanyang optics. Out of these chains, are there any ones that I should avoid?
Why not consider those neighbourhood shops? They should be better at least on the pricing side.
Old 13-03-2013, 09:18 AM   #7982

Hey guys, this is going to sidetrack a fair bit. The ones that are being discussed are out of my budget. My degree is about 700/800 and I only have a $400 budget. I will be sticking with shopa spectacle hut and nanyang optics. Out of these chains, are there any ones that I should avoid?
seems like your choices are only limited to chain stores, maybe out of convenience for u? If so, avoid spectacle hut the frames are mostly branded. Nanyang optical unless u choose their in-house brands. Optical88 also not cheap their frame alone already $300? Capitol optical maybe can try out, but according to someone in this thread, seems like the management style is not that desirable? Im not too sure why cos im not the insider, other than that should be fine. But if you can accept neighbourhood chains, maybe try out grand optical? Not a mega retail chain, but more like a neighbourhood retail chain, they started out small & still remain rather small & affordable as compared to others like spectacle hut which had since expanded rapidly. I remember back 15 years ago when spectacle hut just started & their brands are quite affordable to the mass public but nowadays they seem more tuned to the branded names.

As for nanyang optical, i remember back then also rather affordable & they have more or less remained so till now, except that they are now more focused on european brands & developing their own in-house brands, and also making their shop decor more chic & trendy to appeal to the younger group. They usually give 30%-40% discounts but not sure if the prices have already been pre-marked up. But definitely can try to bargain more from their staff. As for the rest of the retail chains, quite difficult to bargain la. Thats my opinion.

But remember when you visit these chain stores, you got to adjust your expectations, whether be it service, quality or other things. Reason is that they are already established players in the market. Personally, i try to avoid all the retail chains & hunt for private practixes instead.

Last edited by Seannie; 13-03-2013 at 09:24 AM..
Old 13-03-2013, 11:06 AM   #7983

I handled a charment z (at a shop in parkway) before, pricing is about the same as dun.

I prefer dun design. Material and fitting wise, i cant comment much as i do not have extended experience with it.
hi raptor, thanks for sharing your experience. How do you find your Dun's fitting so far? Previously which brand of spec have you been wearing?
Old 13-03-2013, 11:17 AM   #7984

Seannie bro, the link you gave seems like a marketing poster.
Full of empty bs, imo.I've never handled Charmant before, and i may never will, but i feel it's best for you to try to get to handle them personally.
I feel that metal frames are generally more forgiving when it comes to fitting, provided you choose the size correctly. There are exceptions of course.I'd expect the Charmant to cost a premium, but i don't know their market price.

So, i stay with the familiar DUN, until you tell me otherwise.
I think so far, i can only find charmant to compare DUN with as the material they use is of quite similar characteristics (memory titanium). Just that they call the materials in different terms. Charmant Z call theirs excellence titanium while DUN call theirs Gummetal. I am not too sure which metal alloy is more stable, although charmant's seem more flexible but softer while DUN seem not as flexible but harder and thus more stable?

Both co claim that they invented their own material, with charmant saying they took 10 years of research. Not sure which is really the perfect one. Charmant is a more known brand than DUN? For me, im staying with DUN, until it stopped producing credible designs. Charmant to me may be a future alternative. At present moment, i dont think there is another brand similar in nature to what both are producing?
Old 14-03-2013, 10:00 PM   #7985

hi all, looking to get a new pair of specs. i will be going into jb within the next 2-4 weeks and thailand on the 19th.

I have a budget of around RM500. Would it be enough to get a pair of good quality specs inclusive of the lenses? If so which shop in City Square or KSL do you recommend?

And what about BKK? Where in BKK do you recommend I buy good frames?

thanks for the help......
Old 14-03-2013, 10:35 PM   #7986

Hi all, could some kind soul explain to me this?

RIGHT LEFT
SPH CYL AXIS | SPH CYL AXIS
Dist -1.5 -1.5 5 | -1.00 -1.25 5
Read
Present -1.00 -0.75 6 | -0.75 -0.25 170(?)

PD. Dist 67/2up

Would really appreciate if you guys could fill me in on some info here ><"
Old 15-03-2013, 10:11 AM   #7987

i own a prescription frame by Oakley and my rubber sock is going bad bad bad.
any idea if its free to change and where about to change it?
Old 15-03-2013, 12:04 PM   #7988

If it a local purchase less than 3 yrs old and you have the official receipt, can bring to the Service centre at Outram to change out.
Old 15-03-2013, 01:10 PM   #7989

What do you mean by bad? Have my Oakleys for about half a year and the nose pads are starting to grow the green algae... Thinking if I can go change it at the service centre as well.

If it a local purchase less than 3 yrs old and you have the official receipt, can bring to the Service centre at Outram to change out.
3 years? I thought its only 1 year warranty for such maintenance.
Old 15-03-2013, 01:18 PM   #7990

What do you mean by bad? Have my Oakleys for about half a year and the nose pads are starting to grow the green algae... Thinking if I can go change it at the service centre as well.

3 years? I thought its only 1 year warranty for such maintenance.
Used to be lifetime when Oakley is still distributed by the old distributor.
Old 15-03-2013, 11:55 PM   #7991
Master Member

anyone else has info on bywp frame?

thanx
Old 16-03-2013, 03:31 AM   #7992
Master Member

How much does Oakley charge to replace frame with the authencity card?

The right ear side just broke. It broke once just before my warranty finish thus replace for free.. Now warranty over ..

Anybody gt any idea?
Old 16-03-2013, 12:02 PM   #7993

hi raptor, thanks for sharing your experience. How do you find your Dun's fitting so far? Previously which brand of spec have you been wearing?
It has been a while since i last used a "L - shaped" temple specs, previously mainly oakley straight temples. Hence initially felt a bit weird with the temple touching the back of my ear. Getting use to it now. There is slight sliding down on my nose, maybe because of my oily face and personal preference to have it right at the top of my nose bridge.

I have used Oakelys, Levis (heavy sucky stuff), and some unbranded frames.
Oakleys - Wiretap, box-spring, evade, wingspan.

How is the LC-002 ? Have you collected it?
Old 16-03-2013, 08:19 PM   #7994

bad as in its like having some green green thing.which is quite irritating.
how much does it cost?

my specs is over 3 years liao
Old 16-03-2013, 10:39 PM   #7995

Is Hoya Stellify 1.55 VP for $70 expensive ?
Closed Thread
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.