The Watch Thread - Part 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

yattokame

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Interesting! Are those list prices or are there further discounts?

haven't been there, but prices are really very attractive, not to mention the 5% tax rebate (for the case of Japan, the purchase has to be above 10,000 yen). I'm not sure how jackroad gives the rebate though - in the form of straightforward discount or cash rebate.

the GMT master full gold I have been eyeing - $36k from THG and usually 26k for preowned. It's going for about 28k there.

Again, I believe it's due to the weak yen.

edit: I am using the rate of 80 for the yen.

Last edited:

yattokame

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I only come in right at the very end of the deal. Of course, it will help if you give me a heads up via a phone call (I will PM you my contact later). So say you're buying a retail price $100,000 watch (rounded up for simplicity) and the salesman gives you 10% discount, so you would expect to pay $90,000 for the watch right?

This is the point where I come in and give you a discount of 5%, at $4,500 (not $5,000 as it will be 5% of $90,000 not $100,000) at the payment counter itself. If we are doing this, I expect to be meeting you in person at the store itself to effect the purchase to avoid fraud, and this applies vice versa for you too.

May I ask how this may or may not affect the relationship I have with my usual salesperson....? sounds tempting enough. :)

thanks

although the patek I am keen in is nowhere near 100k. also can?

craooy07

Reaction score
May I ask how this may or may not affect the relationship I have with my usual salesperson....? sounds tempting enough. :)

thanks

although the patek I am keen in is nowhere near 100k. also can?

The discount I am getting is a 3rd-party discount. Think of it as someone giving you 5% cash-back to make purchases at the stores I listed.

In my view, definitely no detriment to your existing relationship with your preferred salesperson. I have PM-ed you my contact number. You can contact me directly if you have questions.

Also, not sure if I mentioned this below, but no minimum or maximum spending is required.

This Is Fate

Reaction score
Recently gian of 1 handers

meistersinger_pangaea-day-date_1.jpg

6593_BASELWORLD-2013-The-flat-Meistersinger-Pangaea-is-now-also-available-with-day-and-date-display_0.jpg

how much is this?

Hakkaa

Reaction score
Awesome! A watch thread.
Anyway, anyone knows if there are any cheap clean face watch around.
I do not have enough post count to post link/images, but if you were to search sekonda black leather strap watch on google, and click image, it will be the second image.

I have been searching high and low for one, am planning to get myself a daniel wellington, but the price for the watch is around the 200 range which i don't think i can afford it for now. So am planning to get cheap watch with a clean face and gold rim.

Was randomly clicking around asos one day and saw this, which is priced at around 70 sgd.
Just wondering if anyone of you here knows of any other cheap clean face watches which i can take a look too.

Thanks,
Hakkaa

tingyuan

Master Member
Reaction score
Awesome! A watch thread.
Anyway, anyone knows if there are any cheap clean face watch around.
I do not have enough post count to post link/images, but if you were to search sekonda black leather strap watch on google, and click image, it will be the second image.

I have been searching high and low for one, am planning to get myself a daniel wellington, but the price for the watch is around the 200 range which i don't think i can afford it for now. So am planning to get cheap watch with a clean face and gold rim.

Was randomly clicking around asos one day and saw this, which is priced at around 70 sgd.
Just wondering if anyone of you here knows of any other cheap clean face watches which i can take a look too.

Thanks,
Hakkaa

mustafa centre.

Reaction score
the GMT master full gold I have been eyeing - $36k from THG and usually 26k for preowned. It's going for about 28k there.

A few weeks back you were saying that you'd be reluctant to spend more than half a month's salary on a watch. May we deduce that your salary is around 60k a month? :)

About gold watches: the amount of gold [and it's only 18kt gold, correct me if I'm mistaken] in a gold Rolex is surprisingly small. I have handled one and was amazed that it was nowhere near as heavy as I expected. [Actually, by *far* the nicest part was the bracelet!] It follows that Rolex is charging you some *huge* multiple of what that gold costs them. I can't swallow that.

Of course you could make the same sort of argument about steel watches, and that's right of course, all of them are rip-offs. It's true: you can't get a good watch without being ripped off. But you can control the *extent* of the rip-off. You could get *two* really superb steel watches for that sort of cash. It's hard for me to see it any other way. But to each his own.

yattokame

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I wish it is 60k+ also but then again, be careful what one wishes for. With that kind of pay the workload would probably be insane. I'm pretty happy where I am now - enough to feed the village, plenty of time with the kids and some spare time to do volunteer work.

Rather than having a couple of watches I'm thinking of having one good watch for most purposes. We know this is not possible but let's see how long I can tahan....haha!

Jeremy1

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
haven't been there, but prices are really very attractive, not to mention the 5% tax rebate (for the case of Japan, the purchase has to be above 10,000 yen). I'm not sure how jackroad gives the rebate though - in the form of straightforward discount or cash rebate.

With that amount can get u an AP or better watch.

Have u ever consider other alternative ?

yattokame

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
With that amount can get u an AP or better watch.

Have u ever consider other alternative ?

I dont really like how the AP looks. IMHO its too colourful and some versions look like a G shock. It all Lies in the eye of the beholder.

Have my eyes on the Nautilus 5712 for now.

Jeremy1

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I dont really like how the AP looks. IMHO its too colourful and some versions look like a G shock. It all Lies in the eye of the beholder.

Have my eyes on the Nautilus 5712 for now.

Nautilus 5712............................:s31:

More like a dress watch to me.......................:)

Paladium

Reaction score
Interesting! Are those list prices or are there further discounts?

Just to share, for shops like Jack Road, etc, the price you see on the website is usually fixed. Just deduct 5% for tax. Just remember these are usually grey pieces, ie, on the warranty may have address of another AD from another country. For eg, my rolex bought in Japan ironically had the AD stamp from a Singapore shop.

If you are paying by credit card though, I believe they will add a bit more. They will deduct the 5% on the spot. No need to get any refunds from the airport, etc. I recommend emailing them for a final quote just to be sure.

Last edited:

yattokame

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Just to share, for shops like Jack Road, etc, the price you see on the website is usually fixed. Just deduct 5% for tax. Just remember these are usually grey pieces, ie, on the warranty may have address of another AD from another country. For eg, my rolex bought in Japan ironically had the AD stamp from a Singapore shop.

If you are paying by credit card though, I believe they will add a bit more. They will deduct the 5% on the spot. No need to get any refunds from the airport, etc. I recommend emailing them for a final quote just to be sure.

But on the front page it's stated no extra charges on credit card usage.
I remember shopping there (was it yodobashi or komehyo....or...?) actually had 免税 counters to refund your taxes in cash on the spot. Had done it quite a few times. Whereas most of them will deduct the 5% tax. I don't remember being added any extra for credit cards usage, but I do remember having some problems with my AMEX. Usually they will ask you for a PIN, but since we have none, just tell them "na-i" or "na-shi" or just hit the enter button. But the AMEX card got repeatedly rejected. I had to call the number on my card and it was still not solved. In the end used my JCB card.

http://www.jackroad.co.jp/shopinfo_new.php?from=header

your Rolex is interesting.... although quite a few times I have seen the certs of preowned rolex in sg are from Japan though. :)

Last edited:

yattokame

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I will take AP over PP / Rolex anytime.

I just feel PP / Rolex a bit fragile......................:D

yeah I felt the 5712 a bit fragile.... feels like a casio. light and small.
dunno man. still undecided. and I'm not allowed to buy both.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.