Where to tailor clothes =D

Like Tree885Likes
Share This Page
HardwareZone.com on Facebook
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 17-04-2012, 02:36 PM   #5176
Arch-Supremacy Member

180 - 250 for egyptian 2 ply cotton? wow, that's real ex. for abit more, you can get some really decent sea-island cotton.
What's this deal with sea island cotton, really so fantastic?
Old 17-04-2012, 03:51 PM   #5177
Master Member

180 - 250 for egyptian 2 ply cotton? wow, that's real ex. for abit more, you can get some really decent sea-island cotton.
May I ask what would be the price range for egyptian 2-ply from ThatShirtShop?
Old 18-04-2012, 09:39 AM   #5178

May I ask what would be the price range for egyptian 2-ply from ThatShirtShop?
A 2 ply egyptian cotton will start from $99 onwards, whereas a regular 2 ply cotton shirt will start from $79 onwards.
Old 18-04-2012, 09:50 AM   #5179

What's this deal with sea island cotton, really so fantastic?
Most of the world’s shirtings, use cotton that is grown in Eqypt or the Sudan - generally considered a higher grade cotton than the American grown Pima cotton.

Sea Island cotton is grown in the West Indies and although this cotton is considered the best in the world, supply is limited.

It is an extra long staple cotton, allowing it to produce fine threads that is woven into soft, luxurious, high quality fabrics that is also light weight and has a silky texture.

To sum it up, sea island cotton cost a lot more due to supply issue and high quality (high demand). I would say comparing a sea island cotton shirt with an egyptian cotton shirt, would be similar to comparing an egyptian cotton shirt with a polyster/cotton mixed (synthetic fabric) shirt.

At That Shirt Shop, we do have some sea island cotton textiles (approximately 100-150 different fabrics), but we do not keep a lot due to its high cost.
Old 18-04-2012, 11:55 AM   #5180

There are also cloths that are graded as "sea island equivalent" but could not call themselves sea island cotton due to say the location in which the cotton is sourced.
Old 18-04-2012, 03:41 PM   #5181

Hi there, sorry to barge in. I'm thinking to tailor a slim fit 2 piece suite for my business wear. I just come back from Japan and saw the people wear very nice navy blue and grey ones. Was thinking of getting one with a good cutting. I'm wondering how much and how long does it cost tailor one?
Old 18-04-2012, 06:02 PM   #5182

3 weeks to 1 month should be sufficient time with 1-2 fittings during this period, if the tailor you go to does not have overwhelming number of orders on hand.

Cost-wise, I think it has been discussed extensively in the last 10-20 pgs. Obviously whether a suit is slim fit or not has no bearing on the cost. Perhaps you could tell us more in terms of the material and level of workmanship you are expecting.
Old 18-04-2012, 11:49 PM   #5183

Hi there, sorry to barge in. I'm thinking to tailor a slim fit 2 piece suite for my business wear. I just come back from Japan and saw the people wear very nice navy blue and grey ones. Was thinking of getting one with a good cutting. I'm wondering how much and how long does it cost tailor one?
A decent fully canvassed suit should set you back about 1.2k with entry level fabrics depending on your size.

A fused suit could set you anywhere from 500-800 with decent fabric. Not sure about the amount of hand details you'll get from one at this price range though.

The time frame you are looking at can range anywhere from 2 weeks to 2 months depending on how busy you tailor is and how many fittings your tailor provides you.
Old 19-04-2012, 09:13 AM   #5184

I will be starting my first job soon and I am looking to build a basic work wardrobe. Looking to tailor like 5 shirts and 2 pants.

Anyone can recommend me which place offers budget yet quality tailors for me to start my first set?

Thank you!
Old 19-04-2012, 09:24 AM   #5185

Most of the world’s shirtings, use cotton that is grown in Eqypt or the Sudan - generally considered a higher grade cotton than the American grown Pima cotton.
How true is this statement given the proliferation of cotton mills in India and China?
Old 19-04-2012, 10:26 AM   #5186

How true is this statement given the proliferation of cotton mills in India and China?
The short answer to this question is that both India and China produced cottons.

However, Egyptian cotton comes from Egypt and the Sudan region.

This Wikipedia article tells a pretty decent story of the difference between the various cottons. But a key point to add on to the article, is that the quality of the various cottons produced in difference areas varies, due to climate and strain.

Gossypium barbadense - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Old 19-04-2012, 01:37 PM   #5187

Oh, no no. My question isn't the quality, I know that it differs region to region.

I'm just curious about your statement that "most of the world's shirtings use cotton that is grown in Eqypt or the Sudan". For instance, as I understand it, the phrase "Egyptian cotton" has been much abused by salespeople and in many cases doesn't actually refer to cotton that's been milled in Egypt. Moreover, given the fact that cotton mills have burgeoned in other regions where labor and landspace is cheaper (hence the India/China examples), I can't help but question whether "Egyptian cotton" occupies a place of preeminence in shirting use any more.
Old 19-04-2012, 02:48 PM   #5188

Oh, no no. My question isn't the quality, I know that it differs region to region.

I'm just curious about your statement that "most of the world's shirtings use cotton that is grown in Eqypt or the Sudan". For instance, as I understand it, the phrase "Egyptian cotton" has been much abused by salespeople and in many cases doesn't actually refer to cotton that's been milled in Egypt. Moreover, given the fact that cotton mills have burgeoned in other regions where labor and landspace is cheaper (hence the India/China examples), I can't help but question whether "Egyptian cotton" occupies a place of preeminence in shirting use any more.

Check this link out. World cotton exports top 5 bales

Perhaps that phrase is a little outdated. =) The link shows Africa was no.2 exporter in the world as of 2009. I guess time have change quite a fair bit by now. =)

Agree that India and China are major producers of cotton. On the misrepresentation of the materials, it is hard for people outside the industry to understand.

Hence, it is important to always talk and discuss with your tailor regarding the material that you want to use.
Old 19-04-2012, 03:57 PM   #5189
Arch-Supremacy Member

A decent fully canvassed suit should set you back about 1.2k with entry level fabrics depending on your size.

A fused suit could set you anywhere from 500-800 with decent fabric. Not sure about the amount of hand details you'll get from one at this price range though.

The time frame you are looking at can range anywhere from 2 weeks to 2 months depending on how busy you tailor is and how many fittings your tailor provides you.
What's the difference between the 2?
Old 19-04-2012, 03:58 PM   #5190
Arch-Supremacy Member

Check this link out. World cotton exports top 5 bales

Perhaps that phrase is a little outdated. =) The link shows Africa was no.2 exporter in the world as of 2009. I guess time have change quite a fair bit by now. =)

Agree that India and China are major producers of cotton. On the misrepresentation of the materials, it is hard for people outside the industry to understand.

Hence, it is important to always talk and discuss with your tailor regarding the material that you want to use.
I thought there are some cotton made in Italy?
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.