HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

Working Shoe for Young Exec - Part 2

Like Tree1511Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 13-02-2018, 12:33 PM   #9721

I tend to like thick socks for loafers. M&S used to have some with reinforced heels that worked well for me.
jimbb80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2018, 11:41 PM   #9722
wiz

Skoak running sale now for their odd stocks, big selection

https://www.skoaktiebolaget.com/collections/odd-stock
wiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2018, 08:49 AM   #9723

Hi, just wondering if there are any good recommendations for loafers socks? Mine from muji/uniqlo seems to always slip out. Side point, am looking for suede double monks actually. Any idea if meerminís are any good?
I also have the same issue with those socks from muji and uniqlo. Suspect is the fit of the socks to my feet shape.

As for meermins, I would recommend not to based on mine and others experience. But YMMV. If it fits you and you like the design and the price fits your budget, why not?
But I would recommend upping a bit and go for Carlos Santos or Yanko.
evangel21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2018, 09:47 AM   #9724

Would anyone know how the carmina rain last compare to the EB 804 please?

Sent from Xiaomi MI MAX using GAGT
cokiee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2018, 10:05 AM   #9725
Supremacy Member

What about toe socks? I realized they are better in terms of blister management
htngwilliam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2018, 10:41 AM   #9726

Would anyone know how the carmina rain last compare to the EB 804 please?

Sent from Xiaomi MI MAX using GAGT
The 804 in comparison, is more elongated, has a wider toe box, and a significantly higher instep.
I would generally advise sizing down 0.5 compared to your Rain last sizing.
cokiee likes this.
thundermarch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2018, 12:45 PM   #9727

The 804 in comparison, is more elongated, has a wider toe box, and a significantly higher instep.
Agree with TM. To add on, I find Rain's heel too big for me. 804 fits better for me at the heel.
cokiee likes this.
Old 15-02-2018, 03:54 PM   #9728

Can someone who owns shoes from Loake 1880 as well as the MTO range from Edetal advise if both their fit and size is the same? Thank you.
derkaiser94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2018, 01:01 AM   #9729

Agree with TM. To add on, I find Rain's heel too big for me. 804 fits better for me at the heel.
Thanks, both. I know my EB size but am considering carminas so its size up then.

Cheers!
cokiee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2018, 10:39 AM   #9730

Thanks, both. I know my EB size but am considering carminas so its size up then.

Cheers!
No worries. Personally I love Carmina's inca last. Just wish they have more rtw in inca.
Old 16-02-2018, 05:05 PM   #9731

No worries. Personally I love Carmina's inca last. Just wish they have more rtw in inca.
Funnily, Carmina seems to market all their Inca lasted shoes as "premium", and they consequently are usually a bit more expensive.

Granted it's a really nice last (and also probably my favorite Carmina last). But the only difference I see is the tapered heel.

By the way, Happy CNY everyone.
thundermarch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2018, 10:54 PM   #9732

Guys

Wanted to know how to polish the toe cap to mirror gloss. Do we need to heat up the saphir wax till it melts before we polish off with water? I presume we should cost a thin layer and keep polishing till it becomes mirror gloss? Likely 5-10 coat is needed?
when you apply the first few thin layers of wax (and water) to shine, you can feel that the surface is 'rough'. as you add on wax thin layer by thin layer, you will feel the polishing get smoother and smoother and the shine start to come. my first mirror gloss took me about an hour and a half to achieve, lost count of the number of layers but probably 15-20. subsequent shines would be easier

it's gonna be quite hard to achieve the hard shine that you see in photos using saphir's 'normal' wax. it's better to get the hard gloss wax if you really want the mirror shine.
Old 16-02-2018, 11:01 PM   #9733

is it important to get a pair of expensive workin leather shoes etc? Can rad Russell hush puppies be sufficient? Whatís e logic behind all the good Brandís? Comfy? Nice looking?
many of the common brands you mentioned might be considered more comfortable by many because their soles and insoles are padded and so give a softer, plusher feel.

the 'expensive' working shoes on the other hand often lack these new shoe 'technology' as they are often made using traditional methods. the leather sole and insole moulds to your feet after wearing them in

my experience is that the brands you mentioned are not built to last. often they break (sole split) after a year or so. if you have the budget ($250-$300 can get you a pair from local brands like EEA and LLYR), you should def try them out. some ecco or geox shoes already cost that much anyway!

you can always add a front half rubber to extend the life of a well made pair of shoes and they can easily last 3 years and up. average that cost out and they're actually cheaper than changing a pair of the rad russell/hush puppies/aldo etc shoes yearly
Old 16-02-2018, 11:06 PM   #9734

If I pass by Robinson's I will drop by and take a look. I can make a better guess at construction if the shoes are in front of me.

$299 is quite a decent price to pay for a welted shoe (if it is one).

For Italian makers, they probably have the widest (and most confusing) range of construction methods, from Blake stitching, Blake Rapid, handwelting, cemented, Bologna, Norvegese. Some makers have lines in every one of these methods.

Of course, you are right. It is always best to go try on the shoes to know what's best for you.

EEA's cheaper range is Blake stitched, as compared to his regular GYW stuff. Meaning there is one row of stitching between the uppers, insole and outsole. It's a quicker, cheaper way of constructing shoes compared to welting, and generally cannot be re-soled, or only with much difficulty. It is meant to be palatable to the more budget conscious. If it fits your feet and your budget, and is what you are looking for, for your photo shoot, nothing wrong with it at all. I think it is very reasonably priced.

Looking at the pictures, you will also notice that for the Blake range, the outsoles are less thick, and also trimmed right up against the uppers. This is most likely done to give the shoes a more sleek appearance. Which is nice, of course. But this also means that there is less outsole to wear down before they are completely worn through. And the protective effect (of the uppers) of a welt / outsole is also lost.
recently topied a pair of lion and the star range shoes.. your description is on point and can be generalised to most other blake stitch construction. in addition, blake stitched shoes are noticeably lighter and much more flexible right out of the box.

personally, i feel that in SG's context, it isn't economical to resole a GYW pair of shoes if you take into consideration the shipping costs and turn-around time.
Old 16-02-2018, 11:07 PM   #9735

200gbp is about 380 sgd.
Their shipping is quite fast, probably 3 days + processing time.

If its your first pair, I'd recommend grabbing the dainite soled version instead.
Singapore climate isn't really kind to leather soles.

Sent from Samsung SM-G955F using GAGT
getting a pair of leather soled one and adding a front rubber half sole (topy) would allow you to enjoy the best of both worlds!
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.