[AMA] with Asterisk on 18th April 2016 LIVE at 12PM

asteriskimchi

Reaction score
:o what are your desktop's specs?

I am assuming based on you being a professional gamer that your rig must be pretty out of this word... Very high end..

Intel Core i7-6700
SATA III 1TB 16GB Ram
MSI B150A Gaming Pro
Sapphire Radeon R9 390

okay only ba? i stream so need to have a good one to stream on good quality!
Tammy's one more powerful :/

furryfish

Reaction score
What do you think can be done to help grow the eSports scene in SG?

It'll be nice if SG could hold some form of public spectating at some venues during live eSports tournaments, be it CS:GO or LoL or Dota2 (depending on demand, of course), so that friends could gather and watch / discuss gameplay together, etc. I think the hype and atmosphere would be good.

Currently I don't think SG has this (pardon me if I'm wrong), but other countries do. Do you think this can help eSports community grow here?

Its actually quite hard to get Singaporean gamers out of their homes and comfortable chairs. And its even harder to get sponsors for Singapore, cos the market is so small. even if you say the reach is international or regional, the cost centres are always just Singapore, and they never have enough budget. Even if they have budget, mostly it goes into retail marketing rather than a proper eSports tournament. Not sure whether its cos we haven't caught on yet, or because we think gaming is "just play games".

But anyway, back to getting gamers out of their houses. I can create quite a compelling reason for them to attend events, but, i think its hard to get the funding to do so.

So, we just create amateur leagues, and community activities at locations which give us free rental, using sponsored products as prizes.

Ruriel

Arch-Supremacy Member
Deluxe Member
Reaction score
As far as I know, there's a gaming pub in Serangoon Gardens called Brewlings which screens eSports tournaments and games!
I don't know leh but it'd be awesome if people would gather to watch eSports matches like what they do for soccer or other sports.

I personally think more gaming events, tournaments and leagues will help build the scene in Singapore and hopefully provide some stability also.

Brewlings? Cool, I didn't know that. Shall go find out more about it. Thanks!

Yeah more tournaments and leagues will be good. Also... it'll be awesome if our media could run more columns/interviews/writeups about our successful eSports athletes (eg. iceiceice, xian, etc) so that more Singaporeans can acknowledge that playing video games really can earn you a living, if you are passionate and dedicated enough.

I think the main crux here is that most locals still think that video gaming isn't gonna get their kids anywhere in life...

xiasuaykia

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hi !

Would like to thank you ladies for your contribution in Singapore's gaming industry, really appreciate the effort, especially Singapore's perspective towards gaming. However I am pretty sure that the world is slowly opening up to the idea that gaming is an upcoming industry.

Question I would like to ask is, how can I contribute to the gaming industry? If possible would like to form a career in gaming industry. (not as a gamer, but more of some one running events, managing etc) Dont really know any one from the gaming industry, would like to get some pointers or maybe guidance from you ladies.

Thank you once again!

furryfish

Reaction score
:o what are your desktop's specs?

I am assuming based on you being a professional gamer that your rig must be pretty out of this word... Very high end..

I build my own PC, but i'm not the kind who is going to sli like 8 titans. I go for value x performance.

i7-2600k 3.4GHz
Zotac GTX970
32GB Patriot IEM Limited Edition RAM
Patriot Wildfire 120GB SSD
Gigabyte P67A-UD4-B3
FSP 700w
NZXT H630 Full Tower Casing
BenQ RL2450H +2 other monitors

asteriskimchi

Reaction score
What do you guys think are the main obstacles that is stopping Singapore from being more active and well known in eSports ?

well.. mostly just hard work and dedication. And proper support from the country and its people.
and mostly because of how the society views gaming as a waste of time or just for fun.

asteriskimchi

Reaction score
Brewlings? Cool, I didn't know that. Shall go find out more about it. Thanks!

Yeah more tournaments and leagues will be good. Also... it'll be awesome if our media could run more columns/interviews/writeups about our successful eSports athletes (eg. iceiceice, xian, etc) so that more Singaporeans can acknowledge that playing video games really can earn you a living, if you are passionate and dedicated enough.

I think the main crux here is that most locals still think that video gaming isn't gonna get their kids anywhere in life...

Straits Times has been covering quite a bit on eSports the past few months :D
I think it takes time, especially Singapore.

I agree that most people think that video gaming is "bad" but I'm not quick to encourage young children or teenagers now to neglect their studies for gaming. I still think studying is important leh

xtwis7

Arch-Supremacy Member
Deluxe Member
Reaction score
well.. mostly just hard work and dedication. And proper support from the country and its people.
and mostly because of how the society views gaming as a waste of time or just for fun.

Think the lack of support from the country or particular organisations is the main killer. there's almost no public endorsement of any local gaming achievements in mainstream media.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.