AMD WILL GRAB BACK MARKETSHARE FROM NVIDIA IN PC GAMING. HERES WHY

freedom2001

Reaction score
AMD will get back marketshare from Nvidia - due to AMD FREESYNC VS NVIDIA G SYNC and many reasons

AMD WILL GET MARKETSHARE BACK FROM NVIDIA. FOR MANY REASONS.

I have been reading forums worldwide. There are two two types of NVidia users.
1) One is die hard NVidia super fan boy (prolly around 12 yr old according to deep learning benchmarks) who holds a green graphics card to sleep, to school, to camp, during ICT, during IPPT and overseas training and who wants AMD dead and extinct (as if a dead AMD benefits him well by allowing Nvidia to slow down innovation, comes up with more proprietory gimworks (aka gameworks) and price their cards consistently at S$1000 for top end cards. If AMD is dead, I suppose he doesn't mind changing a new CPU once every 20 years from Intel then...Or buying graphics cards from Nvidia costing $2000 onwards and entry level price slowly becomes $500. Or a "Super Gsync 3.0 monitor costing $2000"....Blind loyalty does not benefit you, only hurts you much over the long term.

2) Second group is boys who were disillusioned AMD boys or previously neutral boys - no camp loyalty, who went over to the green side coz the "pasture is greener on the other side only if Maxwell is played strictly in Directx 11 games, not Directx 12 games, where Nvidia had its ass spanked hard by AMD's Fury X, Fury, 390X and 390".

I expect group 2 to go back to AMD for Polaris 10 and Polaris 11 and Vega and Navi and onwards and AMD should be able to capture back at least 10% marketshare, 20-30% marketshare from Nvidia (maybe). Slow and Steady leads the way. AMD has just secured a >USD200 million contract in China and probably secured 3 design wins from Sony PS4 Neo, Nintendo NX and Microsoft xbox 1.5(?) with expected revenues of 1.5 billion rolling in over the next 3-4 years. Their Zen CPU (scalable up to 32 cores) looks promising to take back some marketshare and fight in the server space. And their investment in ARM chips will help too. AMD is also now FINALLY fully competitive in the power consumption race so ex Nvidiots like me can finally shut my mouth....In fact, AMD 14 finfet is superior to Nvidia 16 finfet...Talk about reversal of history.

Now, why would those who have bought previous NVidia cards go back to AMD?

A major topic many ppl forgot besides the usual finfet 14nm superiority AMD had over Nvidia's 16nm is: It's due to AMD FREESYNC monitor technology which is far more value for money than Nvidia Gsync monitor.

The BIGGEST BOMBSHELL IS Intel is supporting FreeSync.

Nvidia G Sync Monitor is too overpriced and is dying, like Toshiba HDVD (dead) vs Sony Blu Ray. No doubt Gsync monitors will still come out, at far higher prices. But it will fail, long term speaking. Just like Toshiba's dying struggle to get the movie studios to support it, which failed ultimately. AMD Freesync monitor is the future. Its open source whereby Nvidia is closed, proprietory. Most love open source. Most don't love to pay someone money.

The AOC and ViewSonic 24-inc 144Hz freesync monitors are excellent in price/features. Samsung has launched 24 inch and 27 curved freesync monitors as well. Dell, Philips, Asus, BenQ, LG, Acer, matter of time before they release a huge barrage of FreeSync monitors. Just a matter of time before the whole industry tilts towards freesync 10:1 ratio vs g sync. The economies of scale for freesync is terrifying for g sync.

Intel will support FreeSync standard with future GPUs | ExtremeTech

2nd link here: Intel plans to support VESA Adaptive-Sync displays - The Tech Report

3rd link here: Intel Backs AMD's FreeSync. Bye Bye G-Sync! - System Wars - GameSpot

I was once an ex NVidia super fan boy. I know their tech inside out and I do know their practices screw ppl up, till this day
-eg 1. PhysX is supposed to work if I have an Nvidia GTX 980 card in killing floor 2 right? Gibs and fluids effects should be ok right? Dam wrong. It crashes NVidia cards (another bloody GIMPWORKS where it GIMP your card) and we have to turn it off. Well, good excuse for us to ditch our crapvidia /Ngreedia cards and go AMD. Thanks Nvidia!
- eg 2. Warframe suppose to have Nvidia PhysX? yes. But warframe developer now developing their own "FLOW" particle physics. My personal guess is they know AMD is coming in hard and strong and fast with AMD 490 Polaris, and they want AMD users to play Warframe. So they developed "FLOW" particle physics to even the playing field, despite it being an "NVidia" title. Talk about a dog biting you in the ass, Nvidia...
- eg 3. Used to be able to have hybrid PhysX for Sacred 2. Using AMD as a primary card with Nvidia as a secondary card for PhysX. What did Nvidia do? Well, they inserted some lines of code with something like if AMD card detected, disable Hybrid PhysX. Comon, how low can you go Nvidia? Wont you still earn money if I buy a secondary NVidia card to use as PhysX card? Shove it up your ass for this low cut.
- eg. 4 I did not buy a GTX 970 with a 4GB sticker on the box, later to know its a bloody 3.5GB RAM card, with a 0.5GB RAM that runs at a porky 20+gb/s...If you are honest enough, you would have labeled the sticker as 3.5+0.5GB card, with explanations. It's that simple.
- eg. 5 OK, now AMD has gone all out to support GPUOpen with endorsements from DICE and EA, and you are considering opening up NVIDIA GAMEWORKS? How generous of you...

I can rant on and on..but gamers got my point. In fact, many NVidia loyal fans ARE PISSED OFF...I will not be surprised if Group 1 as mentioned earlier pack their bags and report for work at AMD HQ.

- Ex Nvidia SUPER FAN BOY

Last edited:

tmfwy

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
AMD will get back marketshare from Nvidia - due to AMD FREESYNC VS NVIDIA G SYNC and many reasons

AMD WILL GET MARKETSHARE BACK FROM NVIDIA. FOR MANY REASONS.

I have been reading forums worldwide. There are two two types of NVidia users.
1) One is die hard NVidia super fan boy (prolly around 12 yr old according to deep learning benchmarks) who holds a green graphics card to sleep, to school, to camp, during ICT, during IPPT and overseas training and who wants AMD dead and extinct (as if a dead AMD benefits him well by allowing Nvidia to slow down innovation, comes up with more proprietory gimworks (aka gameworks) and price their cards consistently at S$1000 for top end cards. If AMD is dead, I suppose he doesn't mind changing a new CPU once every 20 years from Intel then...Or buying graphics cards from Nvidia costing $2000 onwards and entry level price slowly becomes $500. Or a "Super Gsync 3.0 monitor costing $2000"....Blind loyalty does not benefit you, only hurts you much over the long term.

2) Second group is boys who were disillusioned AMD boys or previously neutral boys - no camp loyalty, who went over to the green side coz the "pasture is greener on the other side only if Maxwell is played strictly in Directx 11 games, not Directx 12 games, where Nvidia had its ass spanked hard by AMD's Fury X, Fury, 390X and 390".

I expect group 2 to go back to AMD for Polaris 10 and Polaris 11 and Vega and Navi and onwards and AMD should be able to capture back at least 10% marketshare, 20-30% marketshare from Nvidia (maybe). Slow and Steady leads the way. AMD has just secured a >USD200 million contract in China and probably secured 3 design wins from Sony PS4 Neo, Nintendo NX and Microsoft xbox 1.5(?) with expected revenues of 1.5 billion rolling in over the next 3-4 years. Their Zen CPU (scalable up to 32 cores) looks promising to take back some marketshare and fight in the server space. And their investment in ARM chips will help too. AMD is also now FINALLY fully competitive in the power consumption race so ex Nvidiots like me can finally shut my mouth....In fact, AMD 14 finfet is superior to Nvidia 16 finfet...Talk about reversal of history.

Now, why would those who have bought previous NVidia cards go back to AMD?

A major topic many ppl forgot besides the usual finfet 14nm superiority AMD had over Nvidia's 16nm is: It's due to AMD FREESYNC monitor technology which is far more value for money than Nvidia Gsync monitor.

The BIGGEST BOMBSHELL IS Intel is supporting FreeSync.

Nvidia G Sync Monitor is too overpriced and is dying, like Toshiba HDVD (dead) vs Sony Blu Ray. No doubt Gsync monitors will still come out, at far higher prices. But it will fail, long term speaking. Just like Toshiba's dying struggle to get the movie studios to support it, which failed ultimately. AMD Freesync monitor is the future. Its open source whereby Nvidia is closed, proprietory. Most love open source. Most don't love to pay someone money.

The AOC and ViewSonic 24-inc 144Hz freesync monitors are excellent in price/features. Samsung has launched 24 inch and 27 curved freesync monitors as well. Dell, Philips, Asus, BenQ, LG, Acer, matter of time before they release a huge barrage of FreeSync monitors. Just a matter of time before the whole industry tilts towards freesync 10:1 ratio vs g sync. The economies of scale for freesync is terrifying for g sync.

Intel will support FreeSync standard with future GPUs | ExtremeTech

2nd link here: Intel plans to support VESA Adaptive-Sync displays - The Tech Report

3rd link here: Intel Backs AMD's FreeSync. Bye Bye G-Sync! - System Wars - GameSpot

I was once an ex NVidia super fan boy. I know their tech inside out and I do know their practices screw ppl up, till this day
-eg 1. PhysX is supposed to work if I have an Nvidia GTX 980 card in killing floor 2 right? Gibs and fluids effects should be ok right? Dam wrong. It crashes NVidia cards (another bloody GIMPWORKS where it GIMP your card) and we have to turn it off. Well, good excuse for us to ditch our crapvidia /Ngreedia cards and go AMD. Thanks Nvidia!
- eg 2. Warframe suppose to have Nvidia PhysX? yes. But warframe developer now developing their own "FLOW" particle physics. My personal guess is they know AMD is coming in hard and strong and fast with AMD 490 Polaris, and they want AMD users to play Warframe. So they developed "FLOW" particle physics to even the playing field, despite it being an "NVidia" title. Talk about a dog biting you in the ass, Nvidia...
- eg 3. Used to be able to have hybrid PhysX for Sacred 2. Using AMD as a primary card with Nvidia as a secondary card for PhysX. What did Nvidia do? Well, they inserted some lines of code with something like if AMD card detected, disable Hybrid PhysX. Comon, how low can you go Nvidia? Wont you still earn money if I buy a secondary NVidia card to use as PhysX card? Shove it up your ass for this low cut.
- eg. 4 I did not buy a GTX 970 with a 4GB sticker on the box, later to know its a bloody 3.5GB RAM card, with a 0.5GB RAM that runs at a porky 20+gb/s...If you are honest enough, you would have labeled the sticker as 3.5+0.5GB card, with explanations. It's that simple.
- eg. 5 OK, now AMD has gone all out to support GPUOpen with endorsements from DICE and EA, and you are considering opening up NVIDIA GAMEWORKS? How generous of you...

I can rant on and on..but gamers got my point. In fact, many NVidia loyal fans ARE PISSED OFF...I will not be surprised if Group 1 as mentioned earlier pack their bags and report for work at AMD HQ.

- Ex Nvidia SUPER FAN BOY
AMD will get back marketshare if their marketing dept loosens their purse strings....

How mjany events do you see nvidia in and how many AMD. ;)

Jurchen King

Master Member
Reaction score
3 words: power consumption, heat :eek:

Oh, and more issues with games because competitor manages to bribe game developers to build their game around Geforce. Slower driver updates vs the competitor.

Mobbyland

Reaction score
Most people go for the valued card or the better tech which release earlier, that AMD keeps falling behind. If they managed to get ahead, then its cool. Competition is always good.

To most people, 970 3.5GB doesn't matter at all, it represents a cheap and good card at the time of its launch which forces AMD to drop their top tier card price. Never had any problems with the green be it PhysX or drivers, but the last time I used the red with 6950, a driver update blew it up.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.