HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

Which laptop should I get?

Share This Page
HardwareZone.com on Facebook

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-03-2013, 06:17 AM   #1

Which laptop should I get?

Hi, I need to get a laptop for school. I've narrowed my choices down to six but still need help choosing one. These are the six laptop that I'm looking at and recommended by my school.

Dell Ultrabook XPS13
Dell Ultrabook XPS14

Fujitsu Lifebook SH782
Fujitsu Lifebook SH792

Lenovo Thinkpad T430

HP Elitebook Folio 900

P.S. Laptop for school work, watching movies and playing some light games
Brandee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 06:56 AM   #2

Mind to list the light games which you're going to play? Anyway can ignore all Fujitsu laptops if you don't want to send it for warranty every few months.
Unknownx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 10:28 AM   #3

Then you should see which laptop is lighter so it will be more convenience for you
moomoox3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 04:54 PM   #4

Never get a fujitsu. Also compare the weight of each ultrabook/notebook if portability is a factor
Plaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 10:32 AM   #5

Hi guys, thanks for the response. I don't play a lot of games but occasionally play blackshot. After reading what you guys said, I think I can forget about getting a Fujitsu laptop. I still got four choices left. Anybody knows what's the good point of each laptop. Sorry, I don't much about the spec so all of the laptops look the same to me.

Dell Ultrabook XPS13
Dell Ultrabook XPS14

Lenovo Thinkpad T430

HP Elitebook Folio 900
Old 06-03-2013, 11:34 AM   #6

Hi guys, thanks for the response. I don't play a lot of games but occasionally play blackshot. After reading what you guys said, I think I can forget about getting a Fujitsu laptop. I still got four choices left. Anybody knows what's the good point of each laptop. Sorry, I don't much about the spec so all of the laptops look the same to me.

Dell Ultrabook XPS13
Dell Ultrabook XPS14

Lenovo Thinkpad T430

HP Elitebook Folio 900
The laptops are offered by RP right? Go for Lenovo Thinkpad T430/X230 if you want a laptop with best durability and build quality but boring design. Best worth value for the specs will be Dell Latitude E6430 and HP EliteBook 8000. Dell XPS13 only for full HD screen (1920x1080) and 256GB SSD (fast but lesser lifespan compared to HDD). And Dell XPS14 only for battery life and killer networking card (lower ping when playing online games and buffer faster for streaming video online). Btw the other Dell laptops at least use Intel® Centrino® Ultimate-N 6300 which is much better compared to normal networking card. Killer networking card is fast but unstable compared to Intel one.
Old 06-03-2013, 01:52 PM   #7

Thanks Unknownx for helping me to analysis the specs. I greatly appreciate your help.
Old 07-03-2013, 09:36 PM   #8

Hi, I planned to buy a laptop in the IT Show. My budget is about 1k.. Less than that is better.

I usually only use my laptop to do programming, play some game in facebook, browsing, and watching movie.

I don't like so heavy laptop.

I already sort some laptops, but I want to ask about which one is better from these options (lets go alphabetically)

- ASUS (S46CM-WX121H) ULTRABOOK => 999
- FUJITSU (LH532 AP) LIFEBOOK => 849
- LENOVO (G480) => 899
- TOSHIBA (L840-1037) => 999

Thanks in advance
jesseint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 10:09 PM   #9

Hi, I planned to buy a laptop in the IT Show. My budget is about 1k.. Less than that is better.

I usually only use my laptop to do programming, play some game in facebook, browsing, and watching movie.

I don't like so heavy laptop.

I already sort some laptops, but I want to ask about which one is better from these options (lets go alphabetically)

- ASUS (S46CM-WX121H) ULTRABOOK => 999
- FUJITSU (LH532 AP) LIFEBOOK => 849
- LENOVO (G480) => 899
- TOSHIBA (L840-1037) => 999

Thanks in advance
Can ignore Fujitsu if you don't want to send it every few months for warranty. Specs wise, Lenovo G480 is the most worth it but Lenovo Service Center is infamous as always no ready parts to fix. For weight, Asus should be the lightest (2kg), followed by Toshiba L840-1037 (2.12kg) and Lenovo G480 (2.2kg). Asus S46CM has the same graphic card like Lenovo G480 which is better than Toshiba L840-1037 about 30%. Lenovo G480 only win in slightly faster processor compared to the other two laptops. I definitely recommend to go for Asus S46CM for better graphic card, U processor for good battery life (small and light charger compared to normal laptop charger), light laptop but still got optical disk drive and 2 years warranty.
Old 07-03-2013, 10:36 PM   #10

Can ignore Fujitsu if you don't want to send it every few months for warranty. Specs wise, Lenovo G480 is the most worth it but Lenovo Service Center is infamous as always no ready parts to fix. For weight, Asus should be the lightest (2kg), followed by Toshiba L840-1037 (2.12kg) and Lenovo G480 (2.2kg). Asus S46CM has the same graphic card like Lenovo G480 which is better than Toshiba L840-1037 about 30%. Lenovo G480 only win in slightly faster processor compared to the other two laptops. I definitely recommend to go for Asus S46CM for better graphic card, U processor for good battery life (small and light charger compared to normal laptop charger), light laptop but still got optical disk drive and 2 years warranty.
Thanks for the fast and detail reply and recommended

Is the FUjitsu that bad? Because I know some of my friends own Fujitsu and it's fine.. For the Lenovo aftersales I've heard something similar before.

Really appreciate ur help
Old 07-03-2013, 10:39 PM   #11

Thanks for the fast and detail reply and recommended

Is the FUjitsu that bad? Because I know some of my friends own Fujitsu and it's fine.. For the Lenovo aftersales I've heard something similar before.

Really appreciate ur help
From my personal experience in the past Fujitsu is totally fine but I heard from one of my friend Fujitsu no longer made in Japan and their quality dropped a lot since then. I believe a lot of recent poly students got issue with their Fujitsu laptop
Old 07-03-2013, 11:26 PM   #12

I can testify against Fujitsu too haha. My sis owned one and it's definitely not what you would call reliable over the long term.
chiaRH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 01:39 PM   #13

From my personal experience in the past Fujitsu is totally fine but I heard from one of my friend Fujitsu no longer made in Japan and their quality dropped a lot since then. I believe a lot of recent poly students got issue with their Fujitsu laptop
I can testify against Fujitsu too haha. My sis owned one and it's definitely not what you would call reliable over the long term.
Great. Thanks for your share
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.