Is there something wrong with Gaming Laptop that I'm not aware of?

Chao_Monkey

Banned
Reaction score
Been lurking here for quite some time now, gathering feedback from actual users. I've narrowed down to a couple of models thanks to all the forumers. eg. Aorus x7, msi GS60 ghost pro and Aftershock s-15.

I was ready to buy this weekend when I surfed the Notebook Forum and saw zXioNGz selling his msi GS60. johnsonheng selling his aorus x7 and Gen3sis selling his s-15 (Quite new)

I know each have their own reason to sell. But does this mean that Gaming laptop don't last long? Almost all 3 sellers selling within a year.

As my apartment is small, I can't afford the space for a desktop gaming rig. The only option for me is a Gaming Laptop. (leaning toward Aftershock S-15 at the moment)

So my question is should I invest and upgrade the base model so it last 2-3 years or just go with the base model and sell off within a year when new models comes out ?

Hopefully I can get some feedback from users of these gaming laptop.

Many thanks :D

PC_Dreams

Featured Distributor for Notebook Clinic
Reaction score
Been lurking here for quite some time now, gathering feedback from actual users. I've narrowed down to a couple of models thanks to all the forumers. eg. Aorus x7, msi GS60 ghost pro and Aftershock s-15.

I was ready to buy this weekend when I surfed the Notebook Forum and saw zXioNGz selling his msi GS60. johnsonheng selling his aorus x7 and Gen3sis selling his s-15 (Quite new)

I know each have their own reason to sell. But does this mean that Gaming laptop don't last long? Almost all 3 sellers selling within a year.

As my apartment is small, I can't afford the space for a desktop gaming rig. The only option for me is a Gaming Laptop. (leaning toward Aftershock S-15 at the moment)

So my question is should I invest and upgrade the base model so it last 2-3 years or just go with the base model and sell off within a year when new models comes out ?

Hopefully I can get some feedback from users of these gaming laptop.

Many thanks :D

Just sharing from our point of view...
Our trade in statistics shows that gamers changed their laptops more often than non gamers.
Probably their gaming requirements is not met and they have to change to a higher end model.

Our 2 cents.

chiaRH

Reaction score

By "dont last long" you mean as in what, the durability? Or things like the performance (as in how 'future proof' it is to be able to handle newer games down the road)

'Within a year' I think might be too extreme. But a lot of it really goes down to what games you want to play (or intend to play) and how demanding they are.

If you can forsee that in the next 2-3 years you'll be getting a lot of more graphically demanding games then of course getting a more future proof high-end model now is ideal. As far as possible you'd want to minimise the amount of 'selling off old laptops' as much as possible because the resell value isnt really that good.

Not only that but if you keep a gaming laptop only for one year and instantly buy the next generation the following year, it's usually not a financially solid move cos think about it, in 2 years you buy 2 laptops but the newer one is definitely not going to be twice as powerful

Last edited:

knightshaz

High Honorary Member
Reaction score
can also consider laptops with an upgrade program like the MSI GT80 Titan where you can change the graphics card for up to 2 generations.

PC_Dreams

Featured Distributor for Notebook Clinic
Reaction score
can also consider laptops with an upgrade program like the MSI GT80 Titan where you can change the graphics card for up to 2 generations.

Besides GT80, MSI GT72 graphics can be upgraded as well. :)

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.