HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

Confused about the different singapore garmin maps

Share This Page
HardwareZone.com on Facebook

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 14-06-2010, 11:24 AM   #1

Confused about the different singapore garmin maps

Hi, I just bought my Garmin Nuvi 1350 at PC show yesterday. Is there any site or discussion thread that summarises the pros and cons of the different types of Singapore maps for Garmin?

This is what I know so far

1. Official Garmin City Navigator map for Singapore has junction view, lane assist, postal code search, address search. POIs are quite crappy, all the icons are the same a generic blue building.
2. MSM NT is junction view and lane assist the same as city navigator or not as good? Can it do postal code search and address search? POIs are better from what I heard.

Both these maps are pre-loaded onto the GPS. There are also other maps which I can download online, but not sure what are their capabilities.

1. Jerome Wee map . No junction view and lane assist. Can do address search, not sure about postal code. POIs are excellent, graphics and icons are excellent.
2. MFM no idea. Never used before.

Also, I bought the FM traffic attachment cable. Does it work with all maps or only City Navigator?
alfseeto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2010, 11:30 AM   #2
High Supremacy Member

Confirm is noob. Google will help you find the right forum.
Try malfreemap
tekster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2010, 07:29 PM   #3
Master Member

there's also the Malsingmap (from the malsingmap website which is updated a lot more frequently than the official garmin site).

u can use both the City Navigator + official MSM NT together. the "downside" is that the official versions are updated a lot more slowly than the "unofficial" ones. so changes don't get reflected as quickly - if u can live with that, then just stick to that.

If you're using one of the "unofficial" maps, put it on a microSD card. if it crashes, u just remove the card - i made the mistake of updating the map into the unit (1460) itself and then for some reason, the map had some problems and the unit just went into a reboot cycle that couldn't be stopped. Didn't happen with my older unit before. so lesson learnt - put the additional maps on the card and not the unit.
jarvis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2010, 08:37 PM   #4

Hi, I just bought my Garmin Nuvi 1350 at PC show yesterday. Is there any site or discussion thread that summarises the pros and cons of the different types of Singapore maps for Garmin?

This is what I know so far –

1. Official Garmin City Navigator map for Singapore – has junction view, lane assist, postal code search, address search. POIs are quite crappy, all the icons are the same – a generic blue building.
2. MSM NT – is junction view and lane assist the same as city navigator or not as good? Can it do postal code search and address search? POIs are better from what I heard.

Both these maps are pre-loaded onto the GPS. There are also other maps which I can download online, but not sure what are their capabilities.

1. Jerome Wee map . No junction view and lane assist. Can do address search, not sure about postal code. POIs are excellent, graphics and icons are excellent.
2. MFM – no idea. Never used before.

Also, I bought the FM traffic attachment cable. Does it work with all maps or only City Navigator?
1. Garmin CN Sg/My map ver 2010.20 (i believe you got this latest version) is the official map from Garmin and they give you one time free download for the next map release and for subsequent release, you gotta pay if you want them.

2. MSM NT Sg/My/Bru map ver 2010.20 actually belongs to malsingmaps.com, a third party GPS mapping community. Over the years, it has become so popular that Garmin has officially recognised it and collaborated with the community in releasing their map using Garmin compiler.

3. Besides, the Garmin CN map and MSM NT map, there is also the MSM ver 4.XX map. This map is the most up-to-date compared to the 2 maps as it is released ever Sunday nite/Monday. The current version of the MSM map is ver 4.29. THe MSM map released to Garmin for compiling into the MSM NT map 2010.20 is around ver 4.08. The Garmin CN and MSM NT maps are relased every quarterly. The only advantage both these 2 maps have over the MSM ver 4.29 map is that they have JCV and LA. Both features are possible only using Garmin compiler whereas the compiler used for the MSM ver 4.29 map is a reversed engineered third party cgpsmapper compiler where it is not possible to create JCV and LA for the map.

4. Jerome Wee is actually one of the mappers in MSM and he is involved in mapping Singapore and Johor. Although he still continues mapping in MSM, sometimes back, he began to offer his version of Sg and Johor map with polygon of buildings and his map is available only to those who made a one-time donation and in return he gives unlock code to his map and also for subsequent releases.

5. The owner of Malfreemaps or MFM was previously one of the admin of MSM and he branched out to create the MFM. This is another free third party map for Garmin which covers not only Sg, My and Bru but also Southern Thailand. Their map is also as detailed as MSM. Some claimed that their coverage of Malaysia is much better than MSM. This is debatable. The MFM map is also upated every Monday.

Actually, many people are not bothered about Garmin CN map as it is not as detailed as the MSM NT, MSM Ver 4.xx or even the MFM map. Yesterday, I just happened to test the latest Garmin CN 2919.20 map and discovered that some roads around my area, which were built a few months back, are still not in the map. For your info, these roads appeared in both MSM and MFM maps as soon as they were opened for usage.

Last edited by redstorm; 14-06-2010 at 09:49 PM..
redstorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2010, 05:20 PM   #5
Master Member

1. Garmin CN Sg/My map ver 2010.20 (i believe you got this latest version) is the official map from Garmin and they give you one time free download for the next map release and for subsequent release, you gotta pay if you want them.

2. MSM NT Sg/My/Bru map ver 2010.20 actually belongs to malsingmaps.com, a third party GPS mapping community. Over the years, it has become so popular that Garmin has officially recognised it and collaborated with the community in releasing their map using Garmin compiler.

3. Besides, the Garmin CN map and MSM NT map, there is also the MSM ver 4.XX map. This map is the most up-to-date compared to the 2 maps as it is released ever Sunday nite/Monday. The current version of the MSM map is ver 4.29. THe MSM map released to Garmin for compiling into the MSM NT map 2010.20 is around ver 4.08. The Garmin CN and MSM NT maps are relased every quarterly. The only advantage both these 2 maps have over the MSM ver 4.29 map is that they have JCV and LA. Both features are possible only using Garmin compiler whereas the compiler used for the MSM ver 4.29 map is a reversed engineered third party cgpsmapper compiler where it is not possible to create JCV and LA for the map.

4. Jerome Wee is actually one of the mappers in MSM and he is involved in mapping Singapore and Johor. Although he still continues mapping in MSM, sometimes back, he began to offer his version of Sg and Johor map with polygon of buildings and his map is available only to those who made a one-time donation and in return he gives unlock code to his map and also for subsequent releases.

5. The owner of Malfreemaps or MFM was previously one of the admin of MSM and he branched out to create the MFM. This is another free third party map for Garmin which covers not only Sg, My and Bru but also Southern Thailand. Their map is also as detailed as MSM. Some claimed that their coverage of Malaysia is much better than MSM. This is debatable. The MFM map is also upated every Monday.

Actually, many people are not bothered about Garmin CN map as it is not as detailed as the MSM NT, MSM Ver 4.xx or even the MFM map. Yesterday, I just happened to test the latest Garmin CN 2919.20 map and discovered that some roads around my area, which were built a few months back, are still not in the map. For your info, these roads appeared in both MSM and MFM maps as soon as they were opened for usage.
bookmark for reading later
supergmail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 01:29 AM   #6
Supremacy Member

bookmark for reading later
same.........................
Innocast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 03:29 AM   #7

the Garmin CN NT 2010.20 maps is excellent only for two things:

1. Bus stops are listed inside, with their numbers!
2. Postal code can be searched for, using Mapsource.

I'm primarily using Jerome Wee's maps (donated and got them unlocked) and Malfreemaps if I head into Malaysia.
Old 08-09-2010, 09:34 AM   #8
High Supremacy Member

the owner of malfreemaps was also the owner of malsingmaps. due to some internal disputes which you can read for yourself on mfm forums.

of course malfreemaps more detailed, cause those who worked closely on msm, left to join mfm. mappers who worked for msm are now working for mfm. msm less updated now already, coz those hardcore mappers left to join mfm.
tekster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2012, 01:16 AM   #9

Book marked. Thanks.
kokhua is offline   Reply With Quote
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.