HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

Holux 62F (Upgrade from Papago to Galactio)

Share This Page
HardwareZone.com on Facebook

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-06-2011, 11:23 PM   #1

Holux 62F (Upgrade from Papago to Galactio)

Hi Brothers,

I have been using the Holux 62F purchased from EastGear for a while now, purchased it while it was still using Papago maps.
Now, EastGear is having an upgrade for my 62F to convert from Papago to Galactio at SGD$30... I dont mind paying for the $30, but is the Galactio V8.5 better than the Papago? Any brothers used both Papago and Galactio able to advise?
Old 09-06-2011, 09:40 AM   #2
Supremacy Member

I've used Papago before and now using Galactio with TMC. Galactio definitely comes with much more features but it is a bit more laggy than Papago.
Wee^2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 03:25 PM   #3

Hi Brothers,

I am just back from the PC Show and I've seen the new interface for Galactio.
Decided I will keep my $30 and not perform the upgrade although I see quite a number of people doing the upgrade during my short stay at the East Gear Booth.

My Findings:
1. How EastGear comes about saying its faster is beyond me, but I find that Galactio is less responsive and feels laggy.

2. Map looks cramp with a lot of symbols and icons all over the place. Think it has a lot more features than Papago, but what I need is a clean map which shows me the important things.

3. This is personal taste, but I find the map and interface looks ugly compared to Papago.

So I walked off without doing the upgrade... Any brothers have anything to add on?
Old 09-06-2011, 07:35 PM   #4

I've used Papago before and now using Galactio with TMC. Galactio definitely comes with much more features but it is a bit more laggy than Papago.
Do you mind sheding more light on the lagginess? i.e. is it start up, sat fixed, route calculation, re-calculation? Is the lagginess reasonable for a GPS device?

oh by the way, is the routing engine between papago x3 and the galactio the same?

Last edited by copland; 09-06-2011 at 07:46 PM..
copland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 12:27 AM   #5

Don't know the actual details with regards to the engine, but the lag is quite visible if you've been using the same device eg. Holux 62F with Papago maps. I've tried their Galactio maps using the 62F on display and the buttons seems to take a while before activating.
Old 10-06-2011, 01:02 AM   #6

Not sure how this will affect us Papago X3 users who purchased the device through EastGear.

Old 10-06-2011, 10:27 PM   #7
Supremacy Member

I just bought the Papago! R6600 at PC Show today. The Papago! X7 Reality is superb. Love the interface and smoothness compared to Galactio.
Old 12-06-2011, 09:02 PM   #8
Supremacy Member

Guys,

Just to share that I have brought my Holux 6210T to the EastGear booth at the PC Show to do the upgrade and I paid $60 as my 6210T comes with the TMC feature.

I tried the routing on my way back and to my surprise, the position arrow updating is very very slow, it is like updating point by point as there is a pause when I am moving along a straight road on the expressway.

When I pass the exit, the junction view on that exit still shows and the arrow is stationary there, I was very angry so decided to try this morning as well but the same problem happens.

I decided to bring back to the EastGear and told them the problem I encounter, I spoke to their technical engineer, they decided to refund me the $60.

I must say the Galactio graphics and features are good especially the ERP Gantries and live carpark information.

Phone : Xperia Z2 (Purple)
Tablet : Xperia Z2 Tablet (Black)
carlover76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 10:34 PM   #9

Though I din upgrade to Galactio but using a few GPS (on mobile), Papago is still so far the best. What's good abt Galactio is perhaps the live carpark...
rldchua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 11:09 PM   #10
Supremacy Member

Though I din upgrade to Galactio but using a few GPS (on mobile), Papago is still so far the best. What's good abt Galactio is perhaps the live carpark...
This I agree with you, I am using Garmin previously but after using Papago, I prefer Papago over Garmin so that is why I switch over to Galactio now.

Phone : Xperia Z2 (Purple)
Tablet : Xperia Z2 Tablet (Black)
carlover76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2011, 08:14 PM   #11

galactio or papago

i upgraded my 62f from papago to galactio. bought it about a year ago at the show for $199. Surprisingly, its still selling at $199 for the past show inclusive the show last week.

galactio UI definitely loks better to me and offer more features and better search results but is slightly more laggy. When you press a button, you do need to wait for a while before something happens.
txv611 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2011, 08:38 PM   #12

i upgraded my 62f from papago to galactio. bought it about a year ago at the show for $199. Surprisingly, its still selling at $199 for the past show inclusive the show last week.

galactio UI definitely loks better to me and offer more features and better search results but is slightly more laggy. When you press a button, you do need to wait for a while before something happens.
Perhaps a better time for the upgrade is when there's no more complains about the lagginess...
rldchua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2011, 11:10 AM   #13

for ur no 2, think u refer to those poi icons. if tats the case, u can turn off by going to tools then navi info setting there.

Hi Brothers,

I am just back from the PC Show and I've seen the new interface for Galactio.
Decided I will keep my $30 and not perform the upgrade although I see quite a number of people doing the upgrade during my short stay at the East Gear Booth.

My Findings:
1. How EastGear comes about saying its faster is beyond me, but I find that Galactio is less responsive and feels laggy.

2. Map looks cramp with a lot of symbols and icons all over the place. Think it has a lot more features than Papago, but what I need is a clean map which shows me the important things.

3. This is personal taste, but I find the map and interface looks ugly compared to Papago.

So I walked off without doing the upgrade... Any brothers have anything to add on?
Skykami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2011, 11:12 AM   #14
Supremacy Member

Seriously speaking, after using the Papago! 6600 that's running on Papago X7 Reality, it's definitely much better than Galactio. Besides, Papago already released X8 and 6600 will soon be receiving the update according to M3Asia. M3Asia's support is great too. Asked them some questions via email, they replied almost immediately.
Old 17-06-2011, 02:27 PM   #15

I just bought the Papago! R6600 at PC Show today. The Papago! X7 Reality is superb. Love the interface and smoothness compared to Galactio.
Hi bro,

u boughtyour papago gps from PC show ?
Which booth selling huh, i went to 6 floor can't find papago brand le.

How much you bought it huh, can share.
Axioaxio is offline   Reply With Quote
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.