[News] Samsung announces new SSD 860 Pro and SSD 860 Evo SSDs

HWZ Editorial

Bot Administrator: PMs cannot be received by this
Reaction score
Available in capacities from 250GB to 4TB and in a variety of form factors including 2.5-inch, mSATA, and M.2.

View full story here...

Last edited by a moderator:

Encrypted11

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Halved warranty to 5 years for pro though
Guess it was just to fend off the sandisk extreme pro warranty length back then. :s34:

royfrosty

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Seems to be more of a refresh instead. And the prices are going up!

Koenig168

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Seems to be more of a refresh instead. And the prices are going up!

Not much difference in performance. Cheaper for Samsung to make using the larger capacity chips so I had expected a price drop.

Providence

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
The M.2 type of SSD is damn fast in loading. :D

But I am worried about its lifespan though.

singupingu

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
The M.2 type of SSD is damn fast in loading. :D

But I am worried about its lifespan though.
If you open up a sata ssd, you will realise the size is possible to shrink to M.2 size (if you know how chip and pcb being fabricated)

So it's essentially the same thing, just different input/output soldered to the chip. That's all.

Sent from Finally Unbanned using GAGT

Ark Law

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Halved warranty to 5 years for pro though
Guess it was just to fend off the sandisk extreme pro warranty length back then. :s34:

Sandick's warranty terms was BS though. At the time as I recall it, Intel and Samsung had higher TBW endurance despite shorter warranty at 5 years. Sandisk's fineprint stated 10 years or shorter if the endurance rating had been achieved.

Hence, Sandick got all the hype having "10 YEAR WARRANTY!! LET'S GO GET THEM!!". They're also responsible for the rubbish ssd they call Ultra Plus.

Providence

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
My company's biggest customer is still Micron. :D

So my new rig uses Crucial RAMs. :s13:

My machines are responsible for testing memory-related products for Micron before they are been shipped out for packaging/sales.

Providence

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Sandick's warranty terms was BS though. At the time as I recall it, Intel and Samsung had higher TBW endurance despite shorter warranty at 5 years. Sandisk's fineprint stated 10 years or shorter if the endurance rating had been achieved.

Hence, Sandick got all the hype having "10 YEAR WARRANTY!! LET'S GO GET THEM!!". They're also responsible for the rubbish ssd they call Ultra Plus.

Now wonder SanDisk is buying so many top-notch machines from us to test their end products in their factories in China and Malaysia recently. :s13:

I bet the bad reputation is hitting their sales targets.

Reaction score
http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/samsung-860-pro-ssd-review,review-34170.html

Sent from Sony Z4 using GAGT

Ark Law

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
sandick now under western dick isit? :s11:

Yes. But still same dick quality as before acquisition.

Now wonder SanDisk is buying so many top-notch machines from us to test their end products in their factories in China and Malaysia recently. :s13:

I bet the bad reputation is hitting their sales targets.

Bad reputation? I doubt so. Most laypersons I know mainly only know Sandick brand (though Samsung is growing thanks to EVO branding) when it comes to branded USB flash drives and memory cards. Sandick's marketing, choice of colours, and prevalent availability helps to stand out in any store.

In terms of reliability/robustness/anecdotal quality, they're the Valore of flash products in my book.

Encrypted11

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Not much difference in performance. Cheaper for Samsung to make using the larger capacity chips so I had expected a price drop.

The EVO drive was also changed from 32 to 48 layer package awhile ago in 2016, and box label became blue from orange.

Price no change.

It was only EVO drives that were made in china, but it actually spread to 850 PRO and 960 PRO later last year.

No price change.

Is scandisk according to unkers :crazy:

batniss

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
is it worth the $10 premium to get 860 instead of 850 evo 250gb ssd?

No, not really

To me speed more important than endurance and multiple reviews shows that the 850 alittle faster.

If you need the endurance however,pay the $10 more.

Last edited:
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.