[Rig Dead] Discussion and suggestion for a New Mobo

†_WhiteKnight_KorKor

Master Member
Reaction score
Wishing a happy CNY everyone,

And as the new year roll in, my Asus RIVE died on me (again 3rd time, same ol common "powered but cannot boot up or POST" problem). I doubt it's still under warranty anymore and frankly speaking, I already lose quite the faith after the 2nd RMA and even more when the problem came back the 3rd time. You can check some of my older threads for complains but that's another issue.

Initially I tot of just getting another mobo with LGA2011 socket so that I can reuse my stuff. So I started off with some reading and found out that my 3930 is not compatible with the newer LGA2011-v3 sockets. (I could be wrong and would be extremely happy if someone who can correct me)

This means that I would need to get a new mobo bundle and I can go either 1150 or 2011. Would probably be getting a new GTX970 to replace my 670 so I may not be able to spend so much.

I can reuse my 850w PSU, RAMS, coolers and other stuff.

Is there any mobo bundle that I can look out for? Likely I will not be going 2SLI (may change in the future) so that's something to take into consideration. Also as I will be most likely stuck with the same setup for 3 years (unless individual parts failure).

Can you guys recommend me either:
1) A LGA2011 mobo bundle (I'm more inclined to go for LGA2011 but price is a big factor to me this time)
2) A LGA1150 mobo bundle

Jarrax

Reaction score
sympathies to hear that the RIVE died a 3rd time.

the old 2011 chips (3xxx and 4xxx) are not compatible with the new 2011-3, neither are ddr3 rams. so if you are looking at recycling your present components (minus mobo and gpu), you are pretty much stuck with a 1150 setup.

then comes the next question of budget, purpose, brand preference and/or other more "extreme" stuff. will need some of these details 1st?

†_WhiteKnight_KorKor

Master Member
Reaction score
Oh... I didnt know that the DDR3 Rams is not compatible as well. I have 4x4 GB Corsair Vengeance. Leave on the shelf also quite wasteful...

Though I did comment that my budget is tight (looking at 1.5k for LGA2011v3 but looking at DDR4 RAMs, it is nearly impossible) , I could spend up at SGD2K or even more if it is justifiable (which is very subjective).

That said, I use my com for a mixture of gaming, programming, running calculations, graphic editing and some light rendering. For heavy duty rendering, I usually go for find someone else to help out.

Can say that I mainly play FPS nowadays, though I play other moba and RTS games as well.

There is no brand preference, though, I must say that I quite lost faith in Asus and their ROG line. The problem was never really fixed, even until the board becomes obsolete...

Though I notice that you are running a RVE yourself. How is your experience with it? Are you running to the common "not able to restart" problem faced by some RVE users?

†_WhiteKnight_KorKor

Master Member
Reaction score
After some consideration, I think going down to LGA1550 should be the logical choice.

I could even get another monitor or another GPU for the amount I would save than if I went LGA2011v3 + new RAMS.

Have been reading recently. considering MSI Gaming 7, over gaming 5 as I use quite alot of USBs. So far there doesnt seem to be much problems with the Gaming 7. Though I would have preferred and INTEL NIC instead of Killer >___>

Does anyone have any comments or suggestions?

Alternative X

Reaction score
Wols answer is wols, but have you considered going to SLS to get a LGA 2011 mobo instead? (Not LGA 2011 v3.)

Since not much people actually buys a LGA 2011 CPU+Mobo combo, there is a good chance that there might be some stocks of the X79 mobos left. Just remember to refer to the mobo that you wanted as the X79 mobo and not the LGA 2011 mobo, otherwise people will give you the newer LGA 2011 v3 X99 mobo instead.

†_WhiteKnight_KorKor

Master Member
Reaction score
I thought of it b4, but I went through the pricelist and it seems that SLS does not seem to carry anymore LGA2011. Doing so will allows me to save on quite abit as I can use my old CPU.

Though I must admit, I have not actually went down to look for any left over LGA2011.

Wols answer is wols, but have you considered going to SLS to get a LGA 2011 mobo instead? (Not LGA 2011 v3.)

Since not much people actually buys a LGA 2011 CPU+Mobo combo, there is a good chance that there might be some stocks of the X79 mobos left. Just remember to refer to the mobo that you wanted as the X79 mobo and not the LGA 2011 mobo, otherwise people will give you the newer LGA 2011 v3 X99 mobo instead.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.