[Warning!] GTX 970 memory bug cripples performance!

Rock-kun

Reaction score
10960131_10202227887217767_5023244855087790430_o.jpg

:s13::s13::s13:

How true, even with 4GB the R9 290 still loses handily to the GTX970.

Rogue

Reaction score
How true, even with 4GB the R9 290 still loses handily to the GTX970.

Depends, price? performance? power consumption? noise? bitcoin mining? MSI lightning version? R9 290 or R9 290X beats GTX 970 on several categories. lol.

Spin spin away, PR department go!

But hard fact GTX 970 is still hardware gimped 3.5 gig card.

Edit : Oh I forgot, Nvidia took a nosedive on drivers quality as well. From killing of older gen cards to the famous drivers have stopped error message. lol.

Last edited:

royfrosty

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Bring it to higher res lo. Im sure the 290x 4gb and 512bit bus size will perform better than the 970 3.5gb and 256bit bus size.

jarred1223

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Depends, price? performance? power consumption? noise? bitcoin mining? MSI lightning version? R9 290 or R9 290X beats GTX 970 on several categories. lol.

Spin spin away, PR department go!

But hard fact GTX 970 is still hardware gimped 3.5 gig card.

Edit : Oh I forgot, Nvidia took a nosedive on drivers quality as well. From killing of older gen cards to the famous drivers have stopped error message. lol.

Agree on the drivers part. And to think some people defend Nvidia so strongly by saying AMD drivers suck. I myself stick with 314.44 ever since I got my GTX670, the last time I updated to the latest I get the nvlddmkm error message and windows theme will go to classic before reverting back to Aero.

weione

Reaction score
Beside AMD omega drivers aint that bad.

Drivers, both camps sure have their fair share.

But 970 just cant handle higher resolutions due to memory limitation.

syaqattaq90

Reaction score
Bring it to higher res lo. Im sure the 290x 4gb and 512bit bus size will perform better than the 970 3.5gb and 256bit bus size.

Beside AMD omega drivers aint that bad.

Drivers, both camps sure have their fair share.

But 970 just cant handle higher resolutions due to memory limitation.

Yeap... ever since omega, . Run games on 1440p on my 1080p monitor... :D

muddle

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Agree on the drivers part. And to think some people defend Nvidia so strongly by saying AMD drivers suck. I myself stick with 314.44 ever since I got my GTX670, the last time I updated to the latest I get the nvlddmkm error message and windows theme will go to classic before reverting back to Aero.

I don't have any problems updating mine to 347.

The thing is, all these driver problems doesn't affect everyone. When i was using ati 5850 last time, also have no driver problems.

ondooy

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
nvidia drivers is still superior to amd, on LINUX... :s13:

Nakedtoes

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
FOr 1080P for some games like COD AW the memory will consume more then 3.5gb... got slight shuttering... but nothing serious... i not a fan boy but but using ati and nvidia.... still nvidia driver is more stable..;)

joeltng

Reaction score
FOr 1080P for some games like COD AW the memory will consume more then 3.5gb... got slight shuttering... but nothing serious... i not a fan boy but but using ati and nvidia.... still nvidia driver is more stable..;)

....I can;t take your claim of not being a fanboy seriously when you still claim of AMD driver woes when it's been okay for some time already....:s8:

muddle

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
....I can;t take your claim of not being a fanboy seriously when you still claim of AMD driver woes when it's been okay for some time already....:s8:

Probably not everyone will share your smooth amd experience. Same goes for nvidia.

joeltng

Reaction score
Probably not everyone will share your smooth amd experience. Same goes for nvidia.

That I give you. just abit peeved to see so many people keep giving AMD crap for their past mistakes and Nvidia is like all good.

royfrosty

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Drivers wise both side has their fair share of bad drivers. It is a hit or miss. To some extent that some people have used ati cards for all their life and had 0 driver issues. Same goes to the other way round.

To condemn gpu by saying drivers are bad is not the biggest issue here rather than the overall performance of the card as a whole.

Cause gpu drivers are constantly updating. So long there is new games and popular games, drivers will be updated accordingly for patches.

I owned a few amd and Nv gpus. Till date either side will still have fault on certain applications. There wasnt any full proof solution that a new application or games will run darn perfect during launch.

So far as of now. Omega drivers are extremely stable for most of my games and applications used.

As for NV latest drivers. It seems a little wonky.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.