Asrock H81M-HDS & i3-4160: do I need to update bios?

primmyera

Reaction score
Hi there guys! I'm actually planning to get the above motherboard and processor bundle, but I'm concerned as to whether I will have to update the bios on the motherboard in order for the i3-4160 to be compatible with it? Because I don't have access to a older cpu that I can use to update the bios.

Any knowledgable people able to help? Many thanks and much appreciated!

localITguy

Suspended
Reaction score
i am using an Asrock H81M-HDS R2.0 with an i5-4660 - No BIOS Updates required

localITguy

Suspended
Reaction score
Sorry ah. I tot h81m bios update is only for g3258 to OC?

any haswell re-freshed based CPUs will need an update for it to work.

but i doubt you will need an update for it to work unless the mbo is old stock ( i also worried like you when i buy so its understand-able

if you so scared, get an asrock H81-HDS R2.0

primmyera

Reaction score
I'm looking at Pc themes price list and I don't see an option for the R2.0 - perhaps I need to ask the staff there? Also, if I check with the staff whether their mobo is one of the newer stocks which support Haswell R out of the box (without having to update), the guy should know right..? (At least I hope haha!)

zzzzzzz

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
bought a h81 hds r2.0 and paired it with i3-4160 for one of my recent builds. didnt have to flash anything

so, if is recent stock, the bios version should work out of the box without flashing
if old stock with older bios version, then im not so sure
:(

localITguy

Suspended
Reaction score
I'm looking at Pc themes price list and I don't see an option for the R2.0 - perhaps I need to ask the staff there? Also, if I check with the staff whether their mobo is one of the newer stocks which support Haswell R out of the box (without having to update), the guy should know right..? (At least I hope haha!)

ya. they will know la.

look for yi long at PCThemes

i dunno i ask seller give me HDS he gave me R2.0 looking at the specs they are the same maybe with some slight changes. ( an updated version? R2.0= Rev 2 i guess..

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.