Asus or MSI motherboard?

DIYcurious

Reaction score
can't decide whether to buy Asus z170 or MSI z170, heard that Asus after service is bad and my friends telling me to buy Asus while some saying MSI.

Which mobo can last longer?

Neverland99

Reaction score
I am planning to get Asus Sabertooth Z170 mark 1 soon. The reason I go for this board is the 5 years warranty.

royfrosty

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
can't decide whether to buy Asus z170 or MSI z170, heard that Asus after service is bad and my friends telling me to buy Asus while some saying MSI.

There is no such thing as which board could last longer. Every boards have the tendency to fail by chance. It's by luck.

Regardless of brands some came out being faulty the moment they put in. Some failed after many years later.

You won't go wrong with all the 4 major boards, such as Asus, Msi, ASRock and Gigabyte.

Just need to search around on what board you need and the features you are looking for.

Do not just buy the z170 and think that it means the best board out there. And it does not mean that by paying more = good. It is just features rich. And it does not mean that b150 boards are the lousiest board ever made. It is just less features. And usually most people will fall between b150 to h170 at most. Unless you are an enthusiast looking for a specific features then only you will consider a z170.

royfrosty

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I am planning to get Asus Sabertooth Z170 mark 1 soon. The reason I go for this board is the 5 years warranty.

There are other boards from Asus that gives 5 years warranty. Need not be z170 sabertooth.

Going for sabertooth is a premium board with 5 years warranty and not using its full features will render useless and waste of money, furthermore no value performance in it.

If you know what you are doing then fine. Else you are better off looking for a b150 Asus board with 5 years warranty.

mib500

Master Member
Reaction score
using asus H170 Pro.. currently happy with it... waiting for M.2 Samsung 950 to slot in... haha

Xteron

Reaction score

If you are looking for durability, den the asus sabretooth. But there's no guarantee that it will last longer and it depends on luck.

Don't just get the sabretooth for the 5 yr warranty and don't be too concern about after sales svc cos u might not even need it.

Perhaps you can post the specs of the system you're planning to get?

localITguy

Suspended
Reaction score
MSI lah, ( you want buy ASUS?,look at the asus sub forum they just ignore people )

distros are okay, BL and avertek is decent. just RMA to service center, if any issue, no need waste time with ASUS@SG at forums. their support is non existance.

asus their high end boards are overpriced . go MSI more worth it

MSI(corbell) is very active on the forums and very friendLY

Last edited:

Toby88

Reaction score
May the odds be ever in your favour~
It's really pretty much luck anytime during the warranty period.

As for Asus or MSI, you should compare features and aesthetics and read up on it's real-world usage (i.e. our own royfrosty's review on the recent MSI mobo.) in various forums around the web.

An informed decision is miles better than simple hearsay.

However, I can understand how we as humans get 'burnt' when we encounter nasty incidents when dealing whichever brands (RMA, product itself, etc). This would ultimately makes us extremely bias or learnt something out of it. But thinking about it, it's really just bad luck at play.

Unless of course the product batch has serious QC issues, then that's another story.

yusoffb01

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I've used biostar, Asus, asrock, gigabyte, ecs. None of died after 4 years... Unlike graphics card

koroshiya8

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Current generation of MOBO has superb durability regardless of brands..
Looking at Asus Z97S Sabertooth white color now LOL.

eyke81

Reaction score
i went MSI as only they got debug LEDs for mATX MB, which are fantastic for troubleshooting especially when you dun have spare parts laying around to swap in & out to test.

Neverland99

Reaction score
The last time I wanted to RMA my msi P67 board, the guy at the service center said the board has already been discontinued and they need to send to their China factory for repair. he said need around one to two month for the repair. I was not satisfied with the lead time that they need to have it repair. I asked to speak to his manager, at first the guy say his manager is in a meeting, then he say his manager out for lunch and won't be back so soon. His story keep changing when I demanded to speak to his manager. In the end after making some noise, he exchanged a re-conditioned board for me on the spot.

crystalnox

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
The last time I wanted to RMA my msi P67 board, the guy at the service center said the board has already been discontinued and they need to send to their China factory for repair. he said need around one to two month for the repair. I was not satisfied with the lead time that they need to have it repair. I asked to speak to his manager, at first the guy say his manager is in a meeting, then he say his manager out for lunch and won't be back so soon. His story keep changing when I demanded to speak to his manager. In the end after making some noise, he exchanged a re-conditioned board for me on the spot.
That's very often the case with fast moving hardware. Good luck ts with rma'ing your board at 4 years, I can't imagine the lead times.

royfrosty

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Usually that happens when it is already reaching its product eol. Very normal, be it asus giga msi or asrock. The lead time will kill.

dreamer_toons

Master Member
Reaction score
Buy the board which gives you the features you need.

In my case, I prefer msi but I used asus coz it allows me to secure erase my ssd from the bios. Something I do every few months as housekeeping.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.