Asus Strix 970 or MSI Gaming 970?

royfrosty

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Aiyah, power consumption you game also not 24/7, game also not full load. How you use your iron, airpot, heater, dryer, fridge and aircon makes way more diff than your PC in terms of power savings.

Prass satu!!! Chao lcp power la dey.

Lol.

Anyway yeap. Note that amd cards have this zero Core thingy when your display is on long sleep mode. Taking in less than 1w.

Gpu on idle any gpu wont take much power. Very negligible.

On load then most card consumes between 250w to 350w range for high end gpus.

Even if we were to compare the amount of power consumption is too negligible to count.

ragnarok95

Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator
Reaction score
Actually I am rather particular bout power consumption also. Cuz I do leave my PC on for long periods when I use it so I wan the power consumption to be minimal as much as I can.

Haha. Actually looking at your PC spec. Is really quite similar.

My PC spec as far as I can remb is this:

i7-2600K
MSI Motherboard (can't remb wad model, need go home check)
500GB Samsung 850 EVO SSD
2TB Western Digital HD x 2
3TB Seagate HD
Asus GTX-670 (for now)
H80 Corsair Liquid Cooling System
Corsair Vengeance 8GB x 2 (16GB total)
Asus Xonar DX
PSU is I believe 800W Seasonic or something but I can't remb.

Before that i was using MSI GTX670. Anyway you cant go wrong with both GTX970 but i will still go for the strix.

royfrosty

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
hey if msi 970 no back plate then how? i thought nowadays all cards default come with back plate

Sent from using GAGT

Not all cards comes with a backplate.

One good example is 980ti and Titan X reference card.

Some 980 and 970 do not comes with a back plate. Depending on the brands you going for.

Anyway, depending on brands, there is some back plates that does completely nothing but heat trapper or just aesthetic purposes.

The actual backplate helps to retain the strength of the card from sagging. But it really depends. Some really sag even with backplate on it.

Some backplate helps in cooling the back of the VRM sections. And some has design it in a way that there is holes for heat** to pass through. Which will be good.

**typo

Last edited:

Mikiberry

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hi Thumbtacked,

I saw someone purchase X99 motherbaord with GTX950 just to run Microsoft word and PowerPoint at SLS...

Nowadays people are so weird!

Best regard,
JK

Some people buy to keep in storeroom as well lol.
:o:o:o:o:o:o:o

talibanking

Reaction score
A GTX970 is overkill for your preferred games imo; a GTX 960 will be a more reasonable choice. It's almost half the price and can still play certain AAA titles (BF4, Farcry 4, Bioshock Infinite) at Med settings 1080p @ >60fps.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.