Did my DVI adapter knock out my GPU?

Shahmatt

Reaction score
Yesterday my PC refused to post - no beep. I opened it up and after re-seating RAM and GPU discovered that the GPU was not lighting up (but the fan was still working).

Disconnected GPU and plugged VGA cable (with DVI adapter) to mobo DVI port. No display output.

Removed DVI adapter and plugged VGA cable into VGA port and I finally got display to work. Conclusion: DVI adapter spoiled.

Since GPU does not have VGA output found a DVI cable and tried it on both GPU and mobo. This worked for mobo but not GPU. Conclusion: GPU not providing output - either PCIex slot spoiled or GPU spoiled.

I will try to find a place to test the GPU out, but I am curious to find out if faulty adapter can cause GPU unit to spoil. Anyone have experience in this?

Shahmatt

Reaction score
Your GPU got HDMI port?

Yes but display does not have HDMI in.

I can connect by Displayport cable. That also did not work.

I think it is confirmed that the GPU not working normally as there are no lights - only the fan spins.

So conclusion - either the port is spoiled or GPU is spoiled.

jtjt00

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Wah, your 5850 last till now! My 7850/6850 gone 1-2 years back.

Shahmatt

Reaction score

Ya.. long life GPU - around 6 years! :s13:

But even my previous GPU (6600GT) lasted 6 years so maybe I am not a heavy user.. Waste electricity mostly haha!

Shahmatt

Reaction score

tmfwy

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
usually those entry level/mid range chips can last longer due to low heat dissipation, while those high end chips will die earlier due to high power consumption. My 8400gs 10 years already still using it :s22: while my 2 asus 7600gt die after 5 years of usage.
I still keep a 9600 for testing purposes ( coz no need 6pin power. )
Sad to say, i haven't had a chance to test the other relics

0P03XGz.jpg

iDCaEOk.jpg

J0TgXYv.jpg

Last edited:

Shahmatt

Reaction score
Yes, it worked fine because the 5850 only got 1 dvi (and no vga), hence the dvi port is dvi-i (digital/analog) and that's why with adapter it worked. Whereas your biostar motherboard got vga/dvi/hdmi, and the dvi port is dvi-d (digital signal only, no analog) and the adapter will not work.

I see. So the DVI adapter not working on mobo is because it is not compatible. Likely it is not spoiled then. Thanks.

watzup_ken

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score

I think it depends on the usage. I have a dead HD 7850 too, but was used by my wife's brother that games very extensively. One day it decided to randomly not boot up, and shortly, it just won't boot up most of the time. :o

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.